Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Was Captain Dickswitch McLamphead hiding in the corner the whole time they were doing To Catch A Catch Copy? (I forgot the official name of the thing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

redmercer posted:

Was Captain Dickswitch McLamphead hiding in the corner the whole time they were doing To Catch A Catch Copy? (I forgot the official name of the thing)
I believe that is indeed the official name or should be, and that was him, all right!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

What is the bamboo/water contraption at the start of each Catch Copy round? I assumed it was some sort of water clock, but I really have no idea. :I

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

It's the Thing-That-Goes-Qlunq. It's supposed to scare away grazing animals, but it's a garden decoration in its own right.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I'm beginning to suspect that the staff is trolling Arino. First they cut him off right as he was about to do his favorite part of Ocarina of Time, then skipped over it while he was gone. Then they make him grovel through the transcripts of Mega Man IV to find the correct boss order. Now they make him play a bit of Tower of Babel right after Mega Man IV, then force him to wait a month before continuing, not only screwing up his memory of the game but denying him enough time to finish it. Stop taking away his fun, you guys! :argh:

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"

Vermain posted:

What is the bamboo/water contraption at the start of each Catch Copy round? I assumed it was some sort of water clock, but I really have no idea. :I

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheThingThatGoesDoink

Totally had a room full of these in Animal Crossing.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

FredMSloniker posted:

I'm beginning to suspect that the staff is trolling Arino. First they cut him off right as he was about to do his favorite part of Ocarina of Time, then skipped over it while he was gone. Then they make him grovel through the transcripts of Mega Man IV to find the correct boss order. Now they make him play a bit of Tower of Babel right after Mega Man IV, then force him to wait a month before continuing, not only screwing up his memory of the game but denying him enough time to finish it. Stop taking away his fun, you guys! :argh:

They must be, if there's any indication that they are it's the doodle journal they show him right after he comes back.

"Well first I enjoyed some horseback archery. :v:"

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
CATCH COPY WAS RIGGED :argh:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

If anyone is curious about Space Hunter I tried to play a bit of it while testing out how well broadcasting would work from my PC.

This is going to be a very bad game. I can't wait to see how Arino reacts to this one...

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

I don't know which smug arino to believe

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
The one with the Cooling Pad is the one who experienced all sorts of labors. He knows what's up.
First Arino is obviously the smug Arino who thinks he will be able to leave by lunchtime.

Krioni
Oct 9, 2012
Got a RightStuf Catalog in the mail today and I found a nice little staff pick write-up in their Live Action section. Retro Game Master was their choice! :woop:

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world
Anyone know of a good proxy buying service, I want to get the work uniform from this site: http://www.k-lion.jp/Index/View/Series/AZ5320/ but don't want to pay huge fees to get it bought from Japan

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Hello and welcome to the non-challenge segments of episode 92 (Shiren the Wanderer Part 1). Featuring a new and revolutionary saucy game center! Guaranteeing a bigger, more exposed chest! Its capsule games contain the stuff of legends! A place where the losers are pros and the pros are losers!

Then, find yourself in a world without color, except not really. Featuring frogs, snakes, giant robots and homicidal lines. And lastly, the games of 1990 and their continued domination of the world!

All this and more brought to you by zari-gani, whose super-vision is so sharp she can rip DVDs just by looking at them.

Download torrent81 (1 files; 221.77 MB)
View torrent stats

Direct Download

VV drat you guys are fast :argh:

univbee fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 5, 2013

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

univbee posted:

Hello and welcome to the non-challenge segments of episode 92 (Shiren the Wanderer Part 1). Featuring a new and revolutionary saucy game center! Guaranteeing a bigger, more exposed chest! Its capsule games contain the stuff of legends! A place where the losers are pros and the pros are losers!

Then, find yourself in a world without color, except not really. Featuring frogs, snakes, giant robots and homicidal lines. And lastly, the games

All this and more brought to you by zari-gani, whose super-vision is so sharp she can rip DVDs just by looking at them.

Download torrent81 (1 files; 221.77 MB)
View torrent stats

Direct Download

I liked this post better when it was just the picture and links.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

bpc908 posted:

Anyone know of a good proxy buying service, I want to get the work uniform from this site: http://www.k-lion.jp/Index/View/Series/AZ5320/ but don't want to pay huge fees to get it bought from Japan

Tenso probably. They charge by weight rather than by cost of the item you're buying.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
That image is terrifying.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Tenso probably. They charge by weight rather than by cost of the item you're buying.

So basically you pay for it normally through the Japanese site, then have Tenso send it to you through their service?

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I just watched the Shiren part 1 segments video... Does whoever decides on which segments to air in each episode really love Qix and it's clones? I think that's the first time I've seen two really similar games show up in two different segments in one episode. :psyduck:

Also, Kibe is not that great at selecting GB games that were never remade in color since Qix has many many many versions on other consoles and computers that are in color.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Panties from a crane game again. And Arino cheerfully stuffing them in his pockets. And Tanii. I don't know which was the weirdest.

Thanks for the release though. I don't know why, but I always enjoy Waste of color segments a lot. In fact, I like every segment which has Arino and Kibe just chatting about games, they seem to have great chemistry together.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
I'm curious about something, those dances he does in the beginning of certain segments, is he parodying something? Is it just some silly thing he does everytime that everyone laughs at? I always thought it was a reference to some silly pop group dance or something.

Notably the dances in the Game & Watch and Aces of Hardware segments.

edit: Also I'm just now noticing the Disney music used for the G&W segments. :allears:

HoneyBoy fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Mar 5, 2013

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

HoneyBoy posted:

I'm curious about something, those dances he does in the beginning of certain segments, is he parodying something? Is it just some silly thing he does everytime that everyone laughs at? I always thought it was a reference to some silly pop group dance or something.

In "Waste of Color" he does the official dance move that corresponds with the song that plays. The "Aces of Hardware" and "Game & Watch" moves are made up by him.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

HoneyBoy posted:

edit: Also I'm just now noticing the Disney music used for the G&W segments. :allears:

This of all their music choices always struck me as the weirdest, although I admit it does fit in quite well. The codas of "The Bells of Notre Dame" and "Topsy-Turvy Day", both from The Hunchback of Notre Dame

OrochiKiyo
Sep 9, 2012

zari-gani posted:

In "Waste of Color" he does the official dance move that corresponds with the song that plays. The "Aces of Hardware" and "Game & Watch" moves are made up by him.

I see "official dance move" and think Para-para. After watching the video... yeah, I'm with Arino on this one (making faces and etc).

Anyway, going through Yahoo!Japan Auctions, apparently the Retro Game Master DVD set got reverse-imported (which I guess is no big surprise seeing as how it was displayed during the New Year's Special). Also, GCCX doujinshi... I'm morbidly curious.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

More underwear prizes? Really, Japan? This is why all the other countries make fun of you after school.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Anyone know where I can find the larger image of this picture?

It used to be on the Bandai-Namco website along with a wallpaper for the Demon Returns but now the links lead to errors

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

OrochiKiyo posted:

Anyway, going through Yahoo!Japan Auctions, apparently the Retro Game Master DVD set got reverse-imported.

Not the least bit surprising, since it's region free, can be played in straight Japanese, is cheaper than any one of the sets they do have (even after international shipping fees) and has 14 challenges on 4 discs, which is twice the content of any one of their sets. I'm surprised Discotek didn't have restrictions placed on them for this, considering they've had rules in place for this with Anime since at least the Laserdisc days.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

univbee posted:

Not the least bit surprising, since it's region free, can be played in straight Japanese, is cheaper than any one of the sets they do have (even after international shipping fees) and has 14 challenges on 4 discs, which is twice the content of any one of their sets. I'm surprised Discotek didn't have restrictions placed on them for this, considering they've had rules in place for this with Anime since at least the Laserdisc days.

Obviously I'm just speculating here, but typically companies arent tripping over eachother to be the first to localize a non-anime japanese TV show, especially one that already flopped once (due to the previous licensees, but whatever). If I were Gascoin I wouldnt be pushing my luck by overly restricting this new company offering to once again bring my show to a new audience.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
And thank goodness for that. :colbert:

Not for nothing but I'm not entirely appreciative of Japan's own special brand of economical nonsense.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 5, 2013

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

OrochiKiyo posted:

Anyway, going through Yahoo!Japan Auctions, apparently the Retro Game Master DVD set got reverse-imported (which I guess is no big surprise seeing as how it was displayed during the New Year's Special).
Why go through Auctions when Amazon Japan is selling it straight from their site? (Lowest price currently is a third party company, but you can see the "Amazon.co.jp" option on the side) No need to do the hassles of reverse-importing when your biggest online retailer does it for you.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
It's nice to see the Japanese fans are all giving Discotek's DVD five-star reviews. Here's my quick and dirty translation of one of the better ones:

--------------
The packaging is cheap, but the content is worth it

This being an American DVD I was worried I couldn't play it, but I could play it on my Dell PC. Way to go, Dell. Not that it has anything to do with it.

The audio can be easily switched to Japanese so practically no problems there. The only thing is there are English subtitles when you do that, which may be distracting.

It has episodes never before released on DVD in Japan, maybe due to containing news about show products and events: Bonanza Bros. (despite being the very first Genesis challenge), Shiren the Wanderer, and Ninja Gaiden II. Normally when edited for DVD in Japan, they cut out previews, recaps, and staff credits. But they're still in these episodes, so they're close to the TV broadcasts. It's a fresh look for those who only watch the DVDs. Looks like "Last Continue" isn't just for events.

Incidentally, the episodes taken from the Japanese DVDs are left untouched (though the chapter cuts are slightly off). The Mighty Bomb Jack event is untouched, too.

It's challenge-only, so there are no arcade trips.
But I think foreigners would enjoy watching the arcade trips too. With candy stores and old grannies.

Fans who watch the TV broadcasts won't get much out of these unreleased episodes (same as the Japanese DVDs). But to those who only get to watch the DVDs, it's worth it not only for the unreleased material but to compare to Japanese and English versions.

I was surprised by the DVD package. There's a familiar illustration on the other side but...
I've never seen a set-up like this in Japan. Getting the discs out is tough!

Cameraman Abe is called eibu. If you listen closely you can hear some fun translations (like "ninja magic.")
--------------

The rest of the reviews are fans being happy with the amount of content and for the episodes that haven't been released on Japanese DVDs yet (since a lot of fans rely on the DVD releases to watch the show).

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.
Am I right in noticing the prince from For Frog the Bell Tolls is the same guy from Links Awakening who lives in the frog house?

He looked very familiar.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

It's challenge-only, so there are no arcade trips.
But I think foreigners would enjoy watching the arcade trips too. With candy stores and old grannies.
[...]
Cameraman Abe is called eibu.

I find it hilarious that Japanese fans complain about that, too.

ScentOfAnOtaku posted:

Am I right in noticing the prince from For Frog the Bell Tolls is the same guy from Links Awakening who lives in the frog house?

He looked very familiar.

I believe that's the case since the next game by the Frog team was Link's Awakening.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

Did any of them complain about "In-oo-ee"?

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos

zari-gani posted:

If you listen closely you can hear some fun translations (like "ninja magic.")

Oh god I could hear it in my head.

~NINJA MAGIC~

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Random Stranger posted:

I believe that's the case since the next game by the Frog team was Link's Awakening.

Aye, and both games use the same engine, insofar as engines exist for GB games.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

As it turns out I posted some bad information the other day. It turns out Arino has beaten one of the ball dropping games. Which one and when? I'll save that so it'll surprise you guys.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

As it turns out I posted some bad information the other day. It turns out Arino has beaten one of the ball dropping games. Which one and when? I'll save that so it'll surprise you guys.

I do remember seeing this in a raw episode. I just don't remember which one. That moment was a great one.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Anyone know if there are translated versions of the manga story from book 3 and the one drawn by Abe in Game Center CX Complete?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Shinya Arino's Mighty Bomb Jack non-challenge segments are as truly mythic as any television ever shot, their artistic achievement rivaled by their turbulent history. The focal point of controversy when released in 2006, the original unedited tape was lost for a half-decade. Long thought to have been lost to fire, the original non-challenge segments of episode 39 were miraculously found in perfect condition in a Korean mental institution's video game room.

SAGCCX is proud to present this milestone compilation of episode 39's segments of The Romantic Never Ends, and the final 1987 Famicom releases overview in a new special edition, restored from the original negatives using state-of-the art technology provided by the leading scientists of NASA and Tokyu Hands, and an all-new translation by zari-gani, the only survivor of the episode's original screening in the previously mentioned Korean mental institution.

Download torrent81 (1 files; 45.38 MB)
View torrent stats

http://depositfiles.com/files/59iyo1986

You get no points for pointing out which two things I'm referencing/spoofing in that post.