Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!
Tina's dialogue is awesome. I think y'all take your vidya games too seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

delpheye posted:

Tina's dialogue is awesome. I think y'all take your vidya games too seriously.

Nuanced thinking? Shades of grey? What are those?

It is possible to like some aspects of a character while disliking other aspects of the same character.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It's also possible to hate every aspect of Tina's character, like I do.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Speedboat Jones posted:

...stuff like "Savage Bloody Savage" in this game.

I'm a little surprised that I haven't really heard anything regarding that part of the DLC from the states yet. Maybe if the DLC was getting an invite from Deputy Wringer to come kill Buggalo only to get jumped by savages in Native American motif we would have heard something.

It gets worse when you add on how undercooked the DLC is. There's no backstory given besides 'There are guys who are aping colonial-era Zulu motif, and they're all looking to kill you. MOW THEM DOWN.' No attempt to even try to pass the buck by adding refugees who were thrown out of the tribe after Nakayama sent everyone down the warpath, no 'YOU, VAULT HUNTER, must kill Nakayama to end this foolishness.' It's just 'Here's some guys in tribal attire, make with the shooty.'

I'm surprised I'm still finding things that disappoint me about the Hammerlock DLC.

Reiley posted:

...the only people of color in the game outside of Motor Mama...

Wait, what? I thought Motor Mamma was just a clothing palette swap of Ellie with a new head.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Fag Boy Jim posted:

It's also possible to hate every aspect of Tina's character, like I do.

And that's OK!

Father Wendigo posted:

Wait, what? I thought Motor Mamma was just a clothing palette swap of Ellie with a new head.

Her skin is noticeably darker.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Reiley posted:

I don't know if "homage" is the right word for it but I also don't know the opposite word for "spoken dialect chosen because gosh doesn't this group talk funny" might be. The guy didn't say that Tina herself was a racist character, just that the inclusion of ebonic slang alongside crazytalk because it sounds silly was a racially insensitive portrayal. I don't mean to re-hash that whole night of Twitter in this thread, I just feel like it's a little goony to call the guy a moron for having the audacity to talk to a writer as a writer about writing.

It's no more racially insensitive than the appropriation of black culture that has been going on since, like, forever. I mean, I just watched Cool as Ice the other day and Vanilla Ice's copious use of slang was probably the least offensive thing about that movie by a huge margin. I think the issue is that you think her dialogue is written that way because "them coloreds sure do talk funny" which I think is you reading waaay into it. (I won't even get into the insinuation that a certain race just stereotypically "talks that way" and to think otherwise is "goony.")

I could agree with Minorities with the lack of non-white characters on Pandora though (unless you count Salvador with the Superduperfly head, and that's just two with the one you mentioned).

raditts fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 4, 2013

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

raditts posted:

It's no more racially insensitive than the appropriation of black culture that has been going on since, like, forever. I mean, I just watched Cool as Ice the other day and Vanilla Ice's copious use of slang was probably the least offensive thing about that movie by a huge margin.

Well yeah, it's one of a number of ongoing problems in modern media (if you could call Vanilla Ice modern still), like these problems exist in other forms and have existed for centuries, and it's definitely a thing here with Tina getting crunk or whatever. Borderlands 2 is a good and fun game- I think most people are in agreement on that- so having that sort of element stick out like it does is, I think, at least worth tabling for discussion like the fellow on Twitter did with Anthony Burch. None of their discussion was really accusatory but more in the vein of how we as writers handle character voices and how this might reflect in the context of the rest of the world and its various social inequalities. The most negativity to come out of that whole exchange was literally when Kotaku printed an article about Burch saying he maybe might tweak Tina's language and an ocean of gamers with weird protection complexes read it as "taking away My Tina" and they flipped their collective lids over what was actually a very civil discussion of ethnic voices in modern media. Lots of dudes feel like that sort of thing shouldn't even be discussed, ever, because they couldn't see anything wrong with it, which is a bizarre and regressive position to adopt. But yeah, that sort of appropriation of black culture for the novelty of it has existed for a long time, and it's happening still, but I don't see why this particular incident wasn't worth discussing one-on-one in an open forum like Twitter, since its fairly relevant in a culture that is very slowly outgrowing this sort of thing, even if it is an inch at a time.

Through four playthroughs of the story I've always winced at the mention of "shove that core in there harder than a shiv through a Truxican's sternum". That's one of the stand-out weirder lines in the game but then that dude gets blown to bits so whatever.

Reiley fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 4, 2013

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Reiley posted:

Through four playthroughs of the story I've always winced at the mention of "shove that core in there harder than a shiv through a Truxican's sternum". That's one of the stand-out weirder lines in the game but then that dude gets blown to bits so whatever.

Yeah, and he says "Sorry. Old Crimson Lance saying." because that excuses it. Heritage not hate! :911:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Speedboat Jones posted:

Yeah, and he says "Sorry. Old Crimson Lance saying." because that excuses it. Heritage not hate! :911:

Well and the joke is the Crimson Lance really were a bunch of inhuman shitheads. Remember Old Haven?

edit: oh god rocky road, i almost forgot about rocky road. those poor brave bastards had to go through a lot too. :911:

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

But Mordecai is Truxican, and he's supposed to be that guy's friend.... :(

Abiggoat
Feb 21, 2008

Kill yourself!

10 Beers posted:

Sweet! I'll be on to play around 5pm EST, most likely.

I'm a little lot rusty on my timezone differences, but I'll be on in about half an hour so I can think I might catch you? I've got to do all those missions again (though the story missions we played before last night I didn't have to replay) I don't know how that works.
E: having network problems :(

Abiggoat fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 4, 2013

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

Greenplastic posted:

New Shift code! 5 keys! Get on this before it's too late, short expiration date!

PlayStation 3 SHiFT Code for 5 Golden Keys in Borderlands 2: 5JKJJ-CXZ53-5WWKT-H3WBJ-ZZ55X [Active through March 4]
Xbox 360 SHiFT Code for 5 Golden Keys in Borderlands 2: WB5TJ-9KF95-3TZ3X-KR3JJ-FW9R3 [Active through March 4]

Extended through March 5th :)

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I've finally reached Lv 50 with Gaige, I had to spec into the BFF tree to survive Sawtooth Canyon and Hero's Pass, amusingly while the final cut scene was playing, after The Warrior died, Deathtrap was in the background of the cut scene blasting away at Rakk constantly, and when the credits had finished, he was still zapping away at Rakk. :3:

Now I have to do every sidequest I put on hold till 2.5 for the Lv 50 versions of the quest reward guns.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

First time I've used a SHiFT code and holy gently caress the guns that thing can give you kick rear end. Banuaba, I saw your invitation but I was only on to put in the code and I came back hours later to see what I'd get. I'll definitely jump on it next time!

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

What'd you get out of the chest? I've only ever gotten some mediocre relics. As far as chests go, Borderlands should be called Pistollands.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

delpheye posted:

What'd you get out of the chest? I've only ever gotten some mediocre relics. As far as chests go, Borderlands should be called Pistollands.

I've gotten at least one of every item type out of the chest I'm pretty sure, except maybe for class mods.

MoreMetalBrian
Oct 20, 2009

Well, I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!
That Golden Chest is a god-send during TVHM, mid 40's. Especially if you are trying to keep the side quests for Playthrough 2.5.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
You get purples out of the chest, but sometimes you get relics or grenade mods which aren't so hot.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I wonder if current content is going to scale up when the level cap rises. For that reason I'm going to save some quests on a few characters until then. Having a love thumper be that much more badass is a nice thought.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

I believe I'm a level 38 Mechromancer. I used 5 of the 7 keys I got from that SHiFT code.
1 key was two different purple pistols, each above 1000 dmg, one with corrosive @700+ and the other with fire @ 980/sec.
1 key was two shields, I was currently at 6,000 and one of the two was a purple, life-boosting shield above 11,000. The other was negligible.
1 key was two lovely pistols. I sold them both for at least $2,500 each.
1 key was a single launcher that had 111,555x3dmg with corrosive damage @ 999/sec & able to hold 9 rockets.
1 key was a shotgun with explosive rounds that hit for 800x3dmg, fired 2 rounds for every shot and held 9 cartridges. The other shotgun was a P.O.S. but sold for $4,000 :confused:
I'll have to get back to you about their names, I never remember any of them.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Speedboat Jones posted:

I wonder if current content is going to scale up when the level cap rises. For that reason I'm going to save some quests on a few characters until then. Having a love thumper be that much more badass is a nice thought.

I hope if they increase the level cap they also tweak the drop rates for things. I'm on my second day of farming doc mercy for an infinity and I haven't gotten anything better than a white off him.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fibby Boy posted:

I hope if they increase the level cap they also tweak the drop rates for things. I'm on my second day of farming doc mercy for an infinity and I haven't gotten anything better than a white off him.

It's one of the most horrible drop rates in the game, I'm told. If you're on xbox I have a plain and a corrosive infinity I can give you.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Speedboat Jones posted:

It's one of the most horrible drop rates in the game, I'm told. If you're on xbox I have a plain and a corrosive infinity I can give you.

I can't get online with this network.:negative: But yeah if I'm not mistaken the drop rate for the thing is like 1.2% whereas the other legendaries are around 5%.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fibby Boy posted:

I can't get online with this network.:negative: But yeah if I'm not mistaken the drop rate for the thing is like 1.2% whereas the other legendaries are around 5%.

drat. Well if things ever change, let me know. I'm always happy to lighten the load of farming when I can, since goons have been so generous to me with mine.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

Speedboat Jones posted:

drat. Well if things ever change, let me know. I'm always happy to lighten the load of farming when I can, since goons have been so generous to me with mine.

Same here. I'll vomit all the legendaries I have across 5 characters on you. Or anyone, really.

If any siren is looking for a wicked good Hell Witch mod, I have one that's +5 Helios, +4 Flicker +4 Kinetic Reflection and 35% corrsive change/damage.

MoreMetalBrian
Oct 20, 2009

Well, I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!

delpheye posted:

Same here. I'll vomit all the legendaries I have across 5 characters on you. Or anyone, really.

If any siren is looking for a wicked good Hell Witch mod, I have one that's +5 Helios, +4 Flicker +4 Kinetic Reflection and 35% corrsive change/damage.

That sounds fantastic. I'd love to get in on this, especially if someone has a Legendary Siren Class Mod. I have some Legendaries and other Level 50 items to also throw out there for people, though probably not nearly as much as everyone else. (I also have two Level 30 Legendaries : Two Fer Maggie, and a Fire Logan's Gun).

Xbox Live Name is same as SA. I should be on around 7pm Est this evening.

Quick Question : I have two main characters (a level 40 Siren and 50 Commando) that I play as. Is there an easy way to make a couple characters for hording weapons and loot, without having to play each of those characters to the point in the story where you gain access to the Bank?

MoreMetalBrian fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 5, 2013

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

MoreMetalBrian posted:

That sounds fantastic. I'd love to get in on this, especially if someone has a Legendary Siren Class Mod. I have some Legendaries and other Level 50 items to also throw out there for people, though probably not nearly as much as everyone else. (I also have two Level 30 Legendaries : Two Fer Maggie, and a Fire Logan's Gun).

Xbox Live Name is same as SA. I should be on around 7pm Est this evening.

Quick Question : I have two main characters (a level 40 Siren and 50 Commando) that I play as. Is there an easy way to make a couple characters for hording weapons and loot, without having to play each of those characters to the point in the story where you gain access to the Bank?

If you have two controllers, what you can do is use a guest/secondary account to load up the game, then use the second controller to split screen with your primary account and character, drop all the stuff you want to move on the ground, quit with that character, load up the mule and pick everything up.

edit: just to clarify, the guest account never picks anything up at all, they're there solely to keep the world loaded (and the weapons on the ground) while you switch between primary and mule on the main account

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 5, 2013

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I might be on before 8 CST tonight, but not after. I have a legendary siren mod for you tho.

What some people do is make a guest account and go farm Terra or something until the guest gets all the Eridium it needs to unlock max storage. I tried that but I was stuck with system link and swapping things out 4 at a time in Claptrap's space. What I ended up doing is just playing more characters all the way to 50.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Does having a second person, even someone who's split screening, increase the chances of better things dropping? Or is the whole "more people=better things" stuff complete bull?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Fibby Boy posted:

Does having a second person, even someone who's split screening, increase the chances of better things dropping? Or is the whole "more people=better things" stuff complete bull?

I've played through the story with two characters almost exclusively with a second person and by the end we were both pretty much decked out in good gear so I would say it definitely works.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
There's an infinite bank glitch.

Select something from your backpack you DON'T wanna store. Then select an item from your backpack that you do. The second item will be put in the bank.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
Moxxi's DLC for Borderlands 1 is the worst!

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Jubs posted:

Moxxi's DLC for Borderlands 1 is the worst!

I liked it.:colbert:

Anyway, so having a split screen buddy will theoretically increase the odds of legendaries dropping?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

jackofarcades posted:

There's an infinite bank glitch.

Select something from your backpack you DON'T wanna store. Then select an item from your backpack that you do. The second item will be put in the bank.

Okay...?

The bank glitch is that if the bank is full and your backpack is overloaded, any items down to your backpack capacity will go into the bank anyway. This also works with Claptrap's locker, but anything you try to glitch in there may or may not disappear forever.

Fibby Boy posted:

Well the game says itself that that will happen so I'd hope it's at least somewhat true.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
What about that raid boss glitch that makes it scale to 4 players even if you're solo?

weaaddar
Jul 17, 2004
HAY GUYS WHAT IS TEH INTERWEBNET, AND ISN'T A0L the SECKZ!? :LOL: 1337
PS I'M A FUCKING LOSER
Yeah you have theoretically a better chance at loot, but I don't think the difference in odds is that appreciable or worth it for the vast increase in difficultly. (For each player in your party mob health increases by 100%). It does feel like the game in solo early on likes making GBS threads out whites more then it did when I played with my brother but it could've been because we were both using the Vault Hunter relic.

Either-way, I feel the game is too stingy with loot. Opening a loot container and getting only white crappy guns is bad luck, but it shouldn't be the only loving thing I run into. More than half the chest I open in a run through an area only contain white crap items. It's disheartening. My gunzerker is still using his level 7 crap I twinked him with (level 8 firehawk shield, 2 level 7 infinities and a level 7 critical heart breaker) and he's nearly level 16.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Marogareh posted:

What about that raid boss glitch that makes it scale to 4 players even if you're solo?

Coincidentally that's the reason I'm trying to get an infinity. Pete hasn't dropped anything of worth, I can't kill voraciduos, and hyperius continues to ruin my day whenever I fight him. My gunzerker can go toe to toe with him but I always run out of ammo.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Honestly if I'm going to be farming raid bosses I just do the Smasher glitch on my favorite gun and keep a Norfleet ready incase I go down. If you get a high enough stack you can kill Voracidous in about 30 seconds after headshotting his witch doctor with the Trespasser.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

The Duke posted:

Honestly if I'm going to be farming raid bosses I just do the Smasher glitch on my favorite gun and keep a Norfleet ready incase I go down. If you get a high enough stack you can kill Voracidous in about 30 seconds after headshotting his witch doctor with the Trespasser.

I actually sold my evil smasher cause the glitch got annoying after a while. Like, it would glitch up my character so that even though I didn't have it equipped I'd randomly lose a whole magazine worth of ammo with no damage buff.

And I've never gotten vermivorous to spawn so I don't have a norfleet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

The Duke posted:

Look at this scrub taking 30 seconds to kill Vorcidous, real cheaters only take 5 seconds:smug:

Fibby Boy posted:

I actually sold my evil smasher cause the glitch got annoying after a while. Like, it would glitch up my character so that even though I didn't have it equipped I'd randomly lose a whole magazine worth of ammo with no damage buff.

And I've never gotten vermivorous to spawn so I don't have a norfleet.

If you can ever get your internet working right, throw me a message at GT: Mechwarrior and I'll bathe you in all the shinies you could ever want.

• Locked thread