Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Sinister 2: ELECTRIC BAGHULALOO

Ok that's it promise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Electric Mr. Boogieloo

:hurr:

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Darthemed posted:

I don't think they've been mentioned in here before, but this past week I saw A Bucket Of Blood (1959) and its 1995 remake, The Death Artist. Roger Corman directed the original and served as co-executive producer on the remake, which was apparently made for the Showtime channel. The two versions are incredibly similar, although there's some nudity thrown into the remake because hey, it's Showtime. The remake also has cameos by David Cross, Mink Stole, Will Ferrell (in his film debut), Anthony Michael Hall as the main character, and Justine Bateman sporting a ridiculous accent through the whole film for a single pay-off joke right before the credits. The trailer for the remake (which they included at the start of the VHS release) spoils the ending by including the last scene, so I'd have to recommend seeing the original first.

Both films are cute little semi-deconstructions/celebrations of people's fondness for gruesome art, and they work through just how much people in the art world can become wrapped up in themselves and their peers. There's a bit more sincerity in the original, since it's growing out of the beatniks, but the bullshit art terminology in the remake is better by virtue of having more time to develop.

Here are their posters, for comparison.

yeah, that was really the best version I could find

I had no idea there was a remake, that's neat. The thing that always got me about the original was that the clay he uses was still wet, clearly, but no one ever mentions it.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Speaking of terrible found footage, I watched tunnel movie last night. Talking head interviews killed any tension over who would die and broke up any atmosphere the movie had going, plus bar none THE shakiest found footage film I've seen and the first to actually make me feel sick. It's a shame because the tunnels they shoot in are p. creepy (after ,1/3 of the movie passes with nothing happening before they even get there.) Also had the brilliant idea of almost exclusively giving .2 second, low res night vision shots of the monster.

So yeah, don't watch tunnel movie its really bad! Good sound design though

Also watched apartment 143 which was decent and grave encounters which I loved

Tolkien minority fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 4, 2013

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Counter point: The Tunnel was pretty good. Nothing earth-shattering, but fun and interesting. Far better than Grave Encounters.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

If you are terrified by annoying Australian women screaming or grey pixelated mermen, then maybe it will scare you

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

That guy from Cabin In the Woods will like it (he likes mermen).

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Drunkboxer posted:

I had no idea there was a remake, that's neat. The thing that always got me about the original was that the clay he uses was still wet, clearly, but no one ever mentions it.

It's the most faithful remake I've ever seen. There's a few scenes with the same dialogue copied over verbatim. And a couple where the only change is inserting a 1990s reference marker (a mention of computer monitors in a poet's monologue, for example).

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
Just wanted to throw out that I saw Last Exorcism Part 2. I'm sure its been discussed here (although I couldn't find it going back about 20 or 30 pages). Anyway, I wasn't really impressed; I think it suffered taking it out of the backwoods arena of the first film and placing the character into a city environment. It also shied away from suspense building periods of non-action. It was more like a contemporary fast paced horror film, less Rosemary's Baby.

Speaking of which, I recently saw that for the first time. Very good. I like films that stumble along with nothing happening for long periods, slowly building toward something. If the payoff is good or at least decent, like in Rosemary's Baby, that's my favorite type of horror film. House of the Devil and (to a lesser degree) The Innkeepers are also favorites. I have little appreciation for bloodbath type movies, but older slashers or actiony type films are OK because they tend to still have substantive periods of suspense.

I also saw Session 9 recently which while being somewhat depressing, was still suspenseful and entertaining enough (3/5). Grave Encounters was good up until (minor spoiler)they started showing a lot of things, ghost and whatnot.

If anyone has additional recommendations in that style though, I'd like to hear them.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Darthemed posted:

I don't think they've been mentioned in here before, but this past week I saw A Bucket Of Blood (1959) and its 1995 remake, The Death Artist. Roger Corman directed the original and served as co-executive producer on the remake, which was apparently made for the Showtime channel. The two versions are incredibly similar, although there's some nudity thrown into the remake because hey, it's Showtime. The remake also has cameos by David Cross, Mink Stole, Will Ferrell (in his film debut), Anthony Michael Hall as the main character, and Justine Bateman sporting a ridiculous accent through the whole film for a single pay-off joke right before the credits. The trailer for the remake (which they included at the start of the VHS release) spoils the ending by including the last scene, so I'd have to recommend seeing the original first.

Both films are cute little semi-deconstructions/celebrations of people's fondness for gruesome art, and they work through just how much people in the art world can become wrapped up in themselves and their peers. There's a bit more sincerity in the original, since it's growing out of the beatniks, but the bullshit art terminology in the remake is better by virtue of having more time to develop.

Here are their posters, for comparison.

yeah, that was really the best version I could find

Bucket of Blood is the old Corman black and white where the beatnik sculptor has to kill so he can sculpt by molding the clay around dead things and people, right? I seem to remember things starting off with a cat and getting out of hand quickly. I don't remember details (watched it on TV as a kid) but I do remember liking it.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

StickySweater posted:

If anyone has additional recommendations in that style though, I'd like to hear them.

Not sure if its quite what you are looking for but if you liked Ti West's stuff check out VHS for his segment. Other stuff I've liked recently that might fit is Kill List and Cure.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Check out the other films in Polanski's apartment trilogy (Repulsion & The Tenant). Both are slow burns and imo aged far better then RB. The tenant especially is excellent and oh my god the sound. Also the original wickerman. I love the remake, but that's because it's hilarious

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Zwabu posted:

Bucket of Blood is the old Corman black and white where the beatnik sculptor has to kill so he can sculpt by molding the clay around dead things and people, right? I seem to remember things starting off with a cat and getting out of hand quickly. I don't remember details (watched it on TV as a kid) but I do remember liking it.

Yes it is perhaps the greatest example of the Mooshing Clay On Dead Things sub-genre.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

StickySweater posted:

Grave Encounters was good up until (minor spoiler)they started showing a lot of things, ghost and whatnot.

I enjoyed Grave Encounters 2, but its sort of a sneer at the idea of franchise. It definitely lacks nuance though.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I haven't watched much horror. None of my friends enjoy it and the Scream & I Know What You Did Last Summer franchises kinda turned me off ever watching new flicks in the theatre. I've watched a few, like Poltergeist and House of 1000 Corpses, but that's about it. Anyway, over the weekend I decided to queue up Pet Sematary expecting to laugh at a terrible movie about a haunted pet cemetery, and I ended up enjoying it way more than I had any right to. Like, a lot.

Are there any classics I should watch, besides the obvious big names like Nightmare on Elm Street and Friday the 13th? I liked the supernatural elements of Pet Sematary and how over-the-top some of the characters were. Still not too big on straight-up slashers.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

SpaceMost posted:

Are there any classics I should watch, besides the obvious big names like Nightmare on Elm Street and Friday the 13th? I liked the supernatural elements of Pet Sematary and how over-the-top some of the characters were. Still not too big on straight-up slashers.

To continue with Stephen King adaptations you should watch Carrie and The Shining.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

SpaceMost posted:

I haven't watched much horror. None of my friends enjoy it and the Scream & I Know What You Did Last Summer franchises kinda turned me off ever watching new flicks in the theatre. I've watched a few, like Poltergeist and House of 1000 Corpses, but that's about it. Anyway, over the weekend I decided to queue up Pet Sematary expecting to laugh at a terrible movie about a haunted pet cemetery, and I ended up enjoying it way more than I had any right to. Like, a lot.

Try Suspiria. It's a little strange and not necessarily representative of the horror genre as a whole, but it's definitely a big landmark of the genre and one you can appreciate on a few different levels.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

SpaceMost posted:

The Exorcist
Polanski's "Apartment" Trilogy (Repulsion, Rosemary's Baby, The Tenant)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (You said you're not big on slashers but you have to watch this)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

SpaceMost posted:

Some good touchstones would be The Blair Witch Project, the Omen series, Creepshow, Carrie, Stephen King's It, The Sixth Sense, and Stir of Echoes.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I'm no horror expert or anything, but I think The Ring is one of the best and more accessible mainstream horror movies of the past while. Just don't bother with the sequel.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

SpaceMost posted:

Are you looking for older movies as well? Try The Cat People (1944 version) and I Walked With A Zombie. Both directed by Jacques Tourneu and produced by Val Lewton. I Walked With A Zombie is one of my all time favorites.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

TCM is a really excellent film that is nothing like its reputation would lead you to believe. There is very little gore, a relatively low body count and barely any chainsaw murder. And it's probably one of the scariest films I've seen.

People are mostly recommending American films (and suspiria). Not that anything is wrong with that, but ill throw out some of my favorite foreign horror.

Diabolique (french, a mystery with an excellent conclusion and no gore. Incredibly eerie)
A tale of two sisters (korea, slow & atmospheric, and a beautiful film that while confusing is worth the effort)
Shutter (thailand, very much a genre film but very well done, with some scenes that really stick with you)
The orphanage (spain, very sad film but well worth watching)
Gozu (japan, Takashii doing lynch. So incredibly odd. Also hilarious and disgusting. My favorite film out of japan period)

I hope this gives you some ideas! All of these are excellent and really worth a watch (or five)

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
Question mainly for SMG: What are the best obscure-ish found footage movies? I've seen tons (PA1-3, Paranormal Entity, Evidence, Atrocious, VHS, that one with the swirly faces on the road trip, Tunnel, Gacy House, and I know I'm forgetting some) but I'm craving more. Are there any unseen classics? I've seen Lake Mungo like 5 times, no need to recommend it to me.

Trap Star
Jul 21, 2010

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

Question mainly for SMG: What are the best obscure-ish found footage movies? I've seen tons (PA1-3, Paranormal Entity, Evidence, Atrocious, VHS, that one with the swirly faces on the road trip, Tunnel, Gacy House, and I know I'm forgetting some) but I'm craving more. Are there any unseen classics? I've seen Lake Mungo like 5 times, no need to recommend it to me.

Have you not seen Rec.?

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
I just realized right after posting that I've seen Rec 1 and 2, Grave Encounters, Blair Witch, and that weird BBC Ghostwatch thing (which ruled and I wish there were a thousand of, holy gently caress).

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Apartment 143 is worth a watch, nothing new but it gets right to the action and has some cool scenes.

Im also gonna recommend quarantine even though you've already seen rec, they are similar but not the same and both own.

Edit. Haven't seen it but apparently area 407 is laughably terrible found footage

Soylent Green
Oct 29, 2004
It's people

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

I just realized right after posting that I've seen Rec 1 and 2, Grave Encounters, Blair Witch, and that weird BBC Ghostwatch thing (which ruled and I wish there were a thousand of, holy gently caress).

Sounds like you're missing Incident at Lake County at least.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUgRCPKP1jg

edit: I'd argue the case for Cannibal Holocaust as well, just make sure you know what you're getting yourself into content wise.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I love the fact that there are so, SO many idiots on YouTube who swear that the McPherson tapes are 100% legitimate, and that if you disagree with them, you're working for the evil shadow government, MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNN.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

priznat posted:

Sinister 2: ELECTRIC BAGHULALOO

Ok that's it promise

Oh my god :swoon:

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

What's the BBC ghost watch thing?

FE: I'm going to go see last exorcism 2 in an hour. I'm worried, because rotten tomatoes has 17%, but am hopeful because of some positives here.

I have this theory about horror movies and the tomatoe meter, that if it dips below 20% it's an indiCation that it will be awesome.

schwenz fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 5, 2013

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I watched The Last Exorcism last night based on some feedback in this thread. Liked it for the most part, cheesy ending aside. The girl who played Nell was great. But I had one BIG problem with the plot: The incest/PTSD red herring would have at least somewhat explained her behavior as a reaction to sexual trauma. But once they "solve" the mystery that she consensually banged some kid in town, they totally brush off ALL of her behavior, like contorting unnaturally, knifing her brother in the face, slaughtering animals, and that her father chained her to the bed and was ready to shoot everyone. They don't immediately go to the police to report any of it, despite nearly kidnapping Nell from the farm, and they only visit the kid at the diner by pure chance of passing it and recognizing the place's name.

Danger posted:

I enjoyed Grave Encounters 2, but its sort of a sneer at the idea of franchise. It definitely lacks nuance though.

I will say this about GE2: Even though I saw it coming, the asylum letting them out the front door and then the hotel's elevator somehow opening up into the asylum basement was a great little twist.

Though between that and Blair Witch 2, I'm still waiting for a movie that pulls off the "was the first one real?" plot.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

What are the thoughts around these parts on Italian horror? I've been a big fan ever since I saw Suspiria about 12 years ago. I've seen my fair share of the big ones and am wanting to dig a little deeper. Maybe you guys have some recommendations? Here are my favorites:

Zombie
Suspiria
Blood and Black Lace
Deep Red
Black Sunday
Black Sabbath
Demons
Kill Baby, Kill
Don't Torture a Duckling
The Beyond
Opera
Baron Blood
Twitch of the Death Nerve

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

caiman posted:

What are the thoughts around these parts on Italian horror? I've been a big fan ever since I saw Suspiria about 12 years ago. I've seen my fair share of the big ones and am wanting to dig a little deeper. Maybe you guys have some recommendations? Here are my favorites:

Zombie
Suspiria
Blood and Black Lace
Deep Red
Black Sunday
Black Sabbath
Demons
Kill Baby, Kill
Don't Torture a Duckling
The Beyond
Opera
Baron Blood
Twitch of the Death Nerve

Watch Deliria aka Stage Fright, Dellamorte Dellamore aka Cemetery Man, Tenebre and Bird With the Crystal Plumage.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Basically anything fulci/argento/bava is good. On the lesser known director note, sergio martino owns bones, check out all the colors of the dark first (personal favorite) then torso for a giallo. His other stuff is of varying quality but worth watching

Cemetary man is also great, and one of the few worthwhile horror films to come out of Italy in the past few decades

Cannibal holocaust/ferox are also essential italian horror

You also need to see a woman in lizards skin, fulci at his weirdest

Edit: after checking imdb I forgot how many giallo martino directed. They are all pretty good and id put im up with fulci/bava

Tolkien minority fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 5, 2013

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Definitely seconding Sergio Martino, Torso and The Strange Vice of Mrs Wardh are my favorites. They're gratuitous and silly for most of their running time, then suddenly become gripping as hell during the last act, particularly Torso.

I'd also highly recommend Lisa and the Devil, which is my favorite Bava and definitely his most dreamlike.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

Area 407, The Speak, Occult, and the 60-minute "UPN cut" of Alien Abduction: Incident in Lake County are some of the best out there. Also, Incident at Loch Ness is an excellent comedy.

Quarantine, Apollo 18, and Cloverfield aren't obscure at all, but are top-five material.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Profondo Rosso posted:

Basically anything fulci/argento/bava is good. On the lesser known director note, sergio martino owns bones, check out all the colors of the dark first (personal favorite) then torso for a giallo. His other stuff is of varying quality but worth watching

Cemetary man is also great, and one of the few worthwhile horror films to come out of Italy in the past few decades

Cannibal holocaust/ferox are also essential italian horror

You also need to see a woman in lizards skin, fulci at his weirdest

Edit: after checking imdb I forgot how many giallo martino directed. They are all pretty good and id put im up with fulci/bava

Ah, how did I forget to list Cemetery Man? Excellent movie. I've also seen Cannibal Holocaust and Cannibal Ferox. Holocaust is good, I didn't care for Ferox.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

What swirly face movie? And not a movie, but No Through Road is pretty creepy.
http://youtu.be/08rj_ioKNSo

Horns
Nov 4, 2009

Coffee And Pie posted:

What swirly face movie?
Skew, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
Has anything new come out about the new Carrie remake? I'm itching for some new Stephen King adaptions that hopefully won't suck. Under the Dome seems to be filming now too which is really exciting!