Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bunny Cuddlin
Dec 12, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

I know every user's password in one particular system here is most likely the day of the week they called in for their last password reset, with "1!" appended.

Speaking of resets, I left my SA password as the one they sent me in an email for about 8 or 12 months because I only signed in on new computers and it was easy enough to just copy/paste it out of my email. The moral being either force a password change on login or make sure your autogenerated ones are strong (SA sends out GUIDs or strings resembling them).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilentity
Jun 25, 2010
Speaking of poo poo password practices...

This is the password I have entered on the site. :(

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

door.jar posted:

Man, I long for the day where plain text passwords in a DB is the worst horror I encounter.

I just came across an application made by some other vendor where the web applications database connection details (including password of course) is stored in plaintext in every client's registry. So every installed client has everything they need for read/write access to the entire application DB which of course includes application wide settings, private records and basically everything you need to cause one of those big headline stories about hackers.

Did I mention that I work in healthcare (outside the US)?
Kind of a tangent, but I work in healthcare inside the US (that is, we hold personal identity and health info so we have to be HIPAA complaint). We recently had to fight back on a "universal sign on" initiative with a large client of ours who have tens of thousands of individuals in our system. As a user convenience/experience improvement, they wanted their employees to be able to sign in on THEIR site and then have a link that would portal them straight into our site. We agreed on a spec for some REST calls that used name, DOB, etc. to create a link between the two identity databases so that the user could get in more easily.

Not a bad plan, perhaps, but they balked when this led to them getting taken to a login page with the username pre-filled and prompting for the password. Turns out they expected those REST calls (which dealt purely with simple census data points that both sides shared) to completely bypass the login to our site, not just be a convenient token that cuts down on customer service calls of people forgetting their username. We had to explain more than a couple times that this would amount to us giving them a tool to view the medical data of individuals which is so hilariously verboten that we'd be destroyed in an audit, and out of business when company X's next round of layoffs targeted individuals whose glucose levels on their last blood draw indicated pre-diabetic conditions.

Makes me wonder about the number of cross-platform agreements that go over without a consideration for these sorts of details. And then I remember my job circa 2004 with a networking hardware manufacturer, who was partnered with SBC, who was partnered with Yahoo!, who offered yahoo email for every SBC subscriber, who created an admin tool that allowed you to ghost into the full yahoo email client of any SBC subscriber, who then bundled that tool into a suite of other tools, which they shared with some of their partners including us the hardware manufacturer. Ostensibly so we could help with support problems via some of the other tools, but not only did we have full access to the suite of tools including email ghosting, we were also given training on it.

If you're developing the software and shipping it that's one thing as far as security is concerned. But for my money the world of operations, devops, and corporate partnering exposes the human element of security flaws, which can put plaintext password columns to shame.

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 2, 2013

bobthecheese
Jun 7, 2006
Although I've never met Martha Stewart, I'll probably never birth her child.

shrughes posted:

The same reason that using a per-user random salt (with a fast hash function) is a bad thing.

I'm not saying to use a fast hash. Something like this:

php:
<?
bcrypt(username . short_system_salt . password, full_system_salt);
?>
It's not perfect, of course, but it should:

* provide plenty of entropy
* ensure that two users who use the same password don't visibly appear to have the same one based on the hash

Bunny Cuddlin
Dec 12, 2004

bobthecheese posted:

I'm not saying to use a fast hash. Something like this:

php:
<?
bcrypt(username . short_system_salt . password, full_system_salt);
?>
It's not perfect, of course, but it should:

* ensure that two users who use the same password don't visibly appear to have the same one based on the hash

I'm going to murder your family

bobthecheese
Jun 7, 2006

Bunny Cuddlin posted:

I'm going to murder your family

Hey look, please explain to me why this is less secure than bcrypt(password, salt);. I know that I know gently caress all about crypto, but if you can explain why this is more vulnerable, then please do so.

PhonyMcRingRing
Jun 6, 2002

Ithaqua posted:

[edit] Also, it's usually a sign of a really bad culture of people who have a "if it's Not Invented Here, it's no good!" attitude, and are constantly reinventing the wheel.

Worse than NIH is "Oh, There's No Free and Open Source Library That Does This? Can't Have That Feature." I get really annoyed at work when the other programmers don't wanna get the owner to spring for a library or tool to do something complicated(exporting to Excel 2003, generating PDFs. FML).

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

bobthecheese posted:

Hey look, please explain to me why this is less secure than bcrypt(password, salt);. I know that I know gently caress all about crypto, but if you can explain why this is more vulnerable, then please do so.
I don't see why you're so intent on avoiding the standard practice of having a cryptographically random per-user string as the salt. Doing this would allow you to skip your completely pointless "system-wide" salts entirely. If you're LinkedIn and your DB just got dumped, someone's going to be trivially including those "system-wide" salts when brute forcing your hashes.

If you're genuinely curious, maybe give this a read? I'm feeling that you ignored the last few pages discussing salts and understanding/following standard practices, so this might be too much to ask.

Edit add: Your inclusion of the username in the salt is the only thing ensuring that the salt is at all different across users. The "system-wide" component is useless, and you're better off just using a random string for the entire salt anyway, rather than limiting it to strings that people use for usernames. As a bonus, you can support username changes without also requiring a password reset when said changes occur.

Progressive JPEG fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 2, 2013

UxP
Aug 27, 2007

Progressive JPEG posted:

As a bonus, you can support username changes without also requiring a password reset when said changes occur.

Don't take this as me arguing against you, or heaven forbid for bobthecheese, but the idea that username changes not requiring a password reset is flawed. Any and all user actions should have a secondary gate of requiring a valid password, even if they're logged in. This results in one checking the user's old password, hashing the new password with the new username, and then saving the new username and password, if they were to do something stupid like use a username as a portion of the salt.

But at the end of the day, hashing a password with the username is such a minor security boost, it's useless. If you're going through the trouble of having unique per-user salts, generate a good salt. Don't toss whatever poo poo you have lying around into it and think that an attacker won't notice. You can guarantee a computationally expensive task, you can't guarantee the ingenuity of the person sitting there with a dump of your DB.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

UxP posted:

Don't take this as me arguing against you, or heaven forbid for bobthecheese, but the idea that username changes not requiring a password reset is flawed. Any and all user actions should have a secondary gate of requiring a valid password, even if they're logged in. This results in one checking the user's old password, hashing the new password with the new username, and then saving the new username and password, if they were to do something stupid like use a username as a portion of the salt.

You're assuming that the only way for a username to change is for users to change it themselves. If an administrator needs to change it, there's no way to do it without invalidating the password.

Bunny Cuddlin
Dec 12, 2004

UxP posted:

But at the end of the day, hashing a password with the username is such a minor security boost, it's useless. If you're going through the trouble of having unique per-user salts, generate a good salt. Don't toss whatever poo poo you have lying around into it and think that an attacker won't notice. You can guarantee a computationally expensive task, you can't guarantee the ingenuity of the person sitting there with a dump of your DB.

It's absolutely 0 security boost and you've introduced some ridiculous horseshit that needlessly complicates both changing names and the login process.

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

Bhaal posted:

Kind of a tangent, but I work in healthcare inside the US (that is, we hold personal identity and health info so we have to be HIPAA complaint). We recently had to fight back on a "universal sign on" initiative with a large client of ours who have tens of thousands of individuals in our system. As a user convenience/experience improvement, they wanted their employees to be able to sign in on THEIR site and then have a link that would portal them straight into our site. We agreed on a spec for some REST calls that used name, DOB, etc. to create a link between the two identity databases so that the user could get in more easily.

Not a bad plan, perhaps, but they balked when this led to them getting taken to a login page with the username pre-filled and prompting for the password. Turns out they expected those REST calls (which dealt purely with simple census data points that both sides shared) to completely bypass the login to our site, not just be a convenient token that cuts down on customer service calls of people forgetting their username. We had to explain more than a couple times that this would amount to us giving them a tool to view the medical data of individuals which is so hilariously verboten that we'd be destroyed in an audit, and out of business when company X's next round of layoffs targeted individuals whose glucose levels on their last blood draw indicated pre-diabetic conditions.

Makes me wonder about the number of cross-platform agreements that go over without a consideration for these sorts of details. And then I remember my job circa 2004 with a networking hardware manufacturer, who was partnered with SBC, who was partnered with Yahoo!, who offered yahoo email for every SBC subscriber, who created an admin tool that allowed you to ghost into the full yahoo email client of any SBC subscriber, who then bundled that tool into a suite of other tools, which they shared with some of their partners including us the hardware manufacturer. Ostensibly so we could help with support problems via some of the other tools, but not only did we have full access to the suite of tools including email ghosting, we were also given training on it.

If you're developing the software and shipping it that's one thing as far as security is concerned. But for my money the world of operations, devops, and corporate partnering exposes the human element of security flaws, which can put plaintext password columns to shame.

What the gently caress why wouldn't you just use ADFS or SAML to trust/verify, and then transmit the info?
e: not a personally directed question, just that my mind exploded...

Bunny Cuddlin
Dec 12, 2004

trex eaterofcadrs posted:

What the gently caress why wouldn't you just use ADFS or SAML to trust/verify, and then transmit the info?

I'm guessing that brings the AD forest or at least the entire other application into the scope of whatever security constraints he's working under.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Progressive JPEG posted:

I don't see why you're so intent on avoiding the standard practice of having a cryptographically random per-user string as the salt. Doing this would allow you to skip your completely pointless "system-wide" salts entirely. If you're LinkedIn and your DB just got dumped, someone's going to be trivially including those "system-wide" salts when brute forcing your hashes.

If you're genuinely curious, maybe give this a read? I'm feeling that you ignored the last few pages discussing salts and understanding/following standard practices, so this might be too much to ask.

Edit add: Your inclusion of the username in the salt is the only thing ensuring that the salt is at all different across users. The "system-wide" component is useless, and you're better off just using a random string for the entire salt anyway, rather than limiting it to strings that people use for usernames. As a bonus, you can support username changes without also requiring a password reset when said changes occur.

Don't you also have a static salt or something stored outside of the database in some kind of protected config file as a second salt in the event of a database but not filesystem compromise?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

bobthecheese posted:

System-wide salts have the same amount of entropy as getRandomNumber().

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Biowarfare posted:

Don't you also have a static salt or something stored outside of the database in some kind of protected config file as a second salt in the event of a database but not filesystem compromise?
First thing that came to mind was if someone had any known users/pws in the dump, it's conceivable that they'd be able to use those to recover (or at least brute force) that salt anyway.

And really I can't think of a lot of situations where you screwed up to the point that someone's gotten your DB but not so much that they also got some sort of read access to that system-wide salt. Everything that needs to verify a password will need access to that salt, so it'll presumably be all over the place anyway.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

And to think of it another way, if all that's keeping someone from getting closer to recovering a LinkedIn-sized goldmine is a single system-wide value, it'll be a trivial amount of time for them to get it.

bobthecheese
Jun 7, 2006

Progressive JPEG posted:

Thanks, that explained it to me, and has shown me why a per-user random salt is worthwhile. I was just trying to avoid another field in the schema when there are existing ones that I thought would do the job. My main thinking (and I'll admit that it's a poor line of thought) was that bcrypt/scrypt/whatever is meant to be the part that makes brute-forcing difficult, not having a random salt-per-username, so by using an existing piece of data I could ensure that at least the hashes look different, so that finding out one password doesn't leave other users with the same password as vulnerable. And I suppose you're right - what's one more piece of data in the database?

See? Learning is happening.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

As a rule, if there's a library performing a cryptographic function, then it's designed to be used in the most straightforward way possible. Any of the configuration options are really there more to give developers knobs they can feel smart for understanding the labels on than actually turning them. It uses PBKDF2 by default? Fine by me. I might be tempted to pick a higher number of iterations but there's no algorithm that's going to save anybody who picks a password off this list if an attacker's willing to spend the time just trying those with every user account. Yeah, they don't get some infinitesimal percentage of the passwords but even half of them is a pretty good haul for a major website.

If it's important that nobody sees a user's password when transmitting it to the site, then use TLS. Hell, use TLS anyhow and if it becomes a performance issue nobody will dare suggest disabling it over buying the necessary hardware. If TLS isn't enough to ensure that someone's password is secure on the wire, then use certificates. If it's a business application then use SSO and save everyone the trouble. Anybody who even thinks of using Javascript-based cryptography is a complete loving imbecile.

Even if you get hacked, remember that you did the best that anybody could expect by not second-guessing the experts. Time spent doing that could be far more productively used ensuring that everything security related in the application is as simple as humanly possible and that there's a clear delineation between trusted and untrusted data.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Bhaal posted:

and out of business when company X's next round of layoffs targeted individuals whose glucose levels on their last blood draw indicated pre-diabetic conditions.

It took me a while to work out why this would ever happen, and then I remembered that the biggest horror in this thread continues to be America's healthcare system.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

armorer posted:

If I sign up for a system and it sends me an email containing my password, I change my password to something ungodly complex and never use that service again unless I have no other choice.

I have to point out that just because someone emails your password doesn't mean they are storing it in plain text.

Bunny Cuddlin
Dec 12, 2004

Murodese posted:

It took me a while to work out why this would ever happen, and then I remembered that the biggest horror in this thread continues to be America's healthcare system.

Hard NOP Life posted:

I have to point out that just because someone emails your password doesn't mean they are storing it in plain text.

I don't know about Murodese but Hard NOP can go back and find his original SA sign up email and find his original password. They weren't storing it in the clear though even back then.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Hard NOP Life posted:

Is that really that much of a distinction, though? If the password is stored in a reversible state then an attacker can reverse it as trivially as the password recovery system can.

e: I guess you were applying it to the "sending an email when you sign up with your password in it" situation, which I guess is better.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

The Gripper posted:

Is that really that much of a distinction, though? If the password is stored in a reversible state then an attacker can reverse it as trivially as the password recovery system can.

Am I right in thinking that if you have a reversible hash that can be output in plain text, then there must be either a universal key, or a key using non encrypted strings or something that is used to reverse that hash. That way when an attacker pulls the password list, they just need to figure out the magic passphrase and then away we go, they've got a strategy to decode the entire list in no time at all. As opposed to having to solve each individual password one by one with non reversible hashes.

Have I got that right?

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

e;f,b

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
If a server side process decides to change a password and email you the current one, at no point was it stored in an irreversible way either.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Maluco Marinero posted:

Am I right in thinking that if you have a reversible hash that can be output in plain text, then there must be either a universal key, or a key using non encrypted strings or something that is used to reverse that hash. That way when an attacker pulls the password list, they just need to figure out the magic passphrase and then away we go, they've got a strategy to decode the entire list in no time at all. As opposed to having to solve each individual password one by one with non reversible hashes.

Have I got that right?
Yeah, if it's reversible and the attacker gains access to whatever algorithm/key is needed to reverse it then it's no better than a plaintext list of passwords, they can just run through and reverse each of them right away.

Non-reversible hashes need the attacker to generate a huge list of possible passwords and hashes to test against, and if the salt is different for each user (it should be) then an attack on one password has no bearing on any other password in the system, even if they are the same.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Not to mention the whole "don't put anything in an email that you wouldn't write on a postcard" angle.

Bunny Cuddlin
Dec 12, 2004

Progressive JPEG posted:

Not to mention the whole "don't put anything in an email that you wouldn't write on a postcard" angle.

id rather have my password mailed to me on a postcard than sent to me in an email. the effort required to find and look at a postcard on its way to me is waaaaay higher than the effort required to eavesdrop on my email.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Hard NOP Life posted:

This is true - you are 100% correct. I lean on the side of caution and assume they are storing it in plaintext, but they may not be. I should probably change it after that and see if they send it to me again, or if they send it to me when I go through the "forgot password" workflow before I get so annoyed with them.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Hard NOP Life posted:

True, however it's a somewhat irrelevant point to me given that once you email me a password, there's numerous third parties who are now storing it in plain text.

Freakus
Oct 21, 2000

Progressive JPEG posted:

And really I can't think of a lot of situations where you screwed up to the point that someone's gotten your DB but not so much that they also got some sort of read access to that system-wide salt. Everything that needs to verify a password will need access to that salt, so it'll presumably be all over the place anyway.
Aren't SQL injection flaws pretty common?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
It's a giant horror to store passwords in plain text, but it's an even bigger horror to use not-unique passwords and expect any level of security!

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Is there no cryptography/secularity thread or something?

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

nexus6 posted:

I think D&D has a secularity thread somewhere, but I'm not seeing a crypto/security thread anywhere.

ninjeff
Jan 19, 2004

darthbob88 posted:

I think D&D has a secularity thread somewhere, but I'm not seeing a crypto/security thread anywhere.
Crypto/secularity megathread: Taking the superstition out of security

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

ninjeff posted:

Crypto/secularity megathread: Taking the superstition out of security

Counterpoint: http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2013/02/hacking_the_pap.html

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

nexus6 posted:

There's the Security Fuckup Megathread in YOSPOS...

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

trex eaterofcadrs posted:

In an ideal world, we'd probably run with SAML (or whatever the standard is these days, but no thank you on AD), but honestly I'm not sure how that's covered under HIPAA with us effectively outsourcing identity to a 3rd party so it might be a non-starter for that alone. But in either case you'd have to get the other side on board with the same identity assertion provider. Some of our clients do have it together with IT operations and so on and it wouldn't be such a huge problem, but the others (and what often amounts to our biggest sources of revenue as well as a strategically valuable client to keep happy) have some serious dinosaur infrastructure. Be it their policies, red tape mindset, hardware/software assets, or even basic tech philosophies, you name it, it's old and busted by 2002 standards. And in the big picture when a deal worth millions each year is getting worked out, you can only push so far with having complaints from your IT team about doing things The Right Way and getting into rebuttal arguments from their IT team about doing things The Way They're Used To or whatever. In the end, unless security/integrity really can win the argument, the deal makers do the math on doing things The Not So Right Way and see that it only amounts to, say, the added salary cost of a few developer weeks of effort plus some nominal technical debt of upkeep, which they view in contrast of shaking the boat on this deal worth orders of magnitude more, shrug, accept it and move on.

Not that I agree with it because this so regularly turns into a feedback loop with a company where you start to saddle IT with extra costs like the above, which makes IT into a larger cost center which makes you (the CEO and VPs and whoever) think of it as a monstrous cost center, which usually makes them gun shy when it comes to proposals aimed at eliminating technical debts and band-aid processes that have become integral to their operations. Instead they'll first look to cut corners with them and go for "cheaper" solutions (which usually translates to "more technical debt" but you usually can't quantify that case to them until said quantity is already out of control) and from then on it's an uphill battle just to keep your time-productivity efficiency from slipping further.

That got a little hyperbolic (though I've seen some institutions that have fallen far down that hole), but back to the original point sometimes a technical argument can only goes so far when the stakes it raises are pennies compared to the bigger picture.

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Furthermore, only one user needs a weak password for you to get in. With per-password salts you don't necessarily know which passwords are weak, so you either have to guess which users might have weak passwords, or otherwise iterate through the entire list of users, wasting time on the stronger ones.

I hate to resurrect password chat, but I don't understand this line. Is the idea that your cracker will find

derpPassword1
derpPrettyPrincess

etc and you can figure out that "derp" is the salt pretty quickly, letting you power through the rest?