Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

sebmojo posted:

Fair enough. How did you feel about Cryptogram Haley out of interest? I'd say they're both playing to a similar audience segment.

Oh huh. That's interesting. I hadn't thought of that before.

I guess I'll say that I didn't like the concept but it didn't grate nearly as much as Therkla did because Haley had some other personality to her and I was confident that she'd continue to develop as a character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

Wow, that strip really emphasises how important Durkon was to the team as a safety net. And a plot device, I guess. This turn not only beats him with the Character Development bat, it also increases the general peril in the story.
Durkon is the glue that kept the party together. As well as the cleric duties, he's usually the one who would talk to characters to resolve their issues. His death will make the group more dysfunctional which raises the stakes on an interpersonal level - which is going to be interesting to see play out.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

jng2058 posted:

Durkon did not evolve. The penalty for that was death.
Yeah and Belkar told him to change his beard style. Well, i guess it's not practical to drink blood.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Colonel Cool posted:

Oh huh. That's interesting. I hadn't thought of that before.

I guess I'll say that I didn't like the concept but it didn't grate nearly as much as Therkla did because Haley had some other personality to her and I was confident that she'd continue to develop as a character.

Well cryptogram Haley only rarely had the plot around her and had the previous 150 or so strips to make people care about her. Therkla was obnoxious from start to finish. I'd even say she was worse than Miko's later appearances.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

e X posted:

But I'd say that Xykon, Tarquin, Redcloak and now Malak are outstanding in their characterization. The Giant really goes out of his way to explain why his villains act the way they do and as a result, we got some incredible unique, well developed antagonists. I once read somewhere, I think it was superhero related, that a good villain is more important to a story than a good hero, because your audience tends to identify with the hero by default, while you need to put some effort into selling the villain. This is definitely true for OotS. I don't dislike the Order, but what makes the story more than just your usual fantasy tropes parody comic are definitely the villains.

If anyone is curious, Rich wrote an essay laying out his step by step process for creating amazing villains

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Thanks for reminding me about this one, I will re-read it for the Traveller game I'm GMing at the moment.

^^^^ I thought Therkla was fine, but I can see why other people might not and I'd agree she was a little half-baked. It'll be interesting seeing where Rich goes with her prequel story.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
They kinda explained Durkon's lack of character development in his death scene, he's already developed. He saw himself an old fatherly figure trying to look after what he sees as a bunch of messed up kids with good hearts so he apparently already had his grand life changing adventure before they got together.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Really, most of the advice in here can be used to create good characters in any kind of fiction.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0836.html If Elan's great big plan depends on Durkons help, well it even work now? If Durkon spills the beans to Malack/Tarquin will Elan be forced to duel Tarquin on the palace steps?

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

:siren:#878: Little Brother:siren:

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one
Yeah, any sort of rules lwayering and theory crafting ignore the obvious answer of house-rules and custom spells/items.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

:suspense: Yup, that sure is some evolution right there.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Ah, the power of Rule Zero.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Gourmet Chef is about to become the main course.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I don't think D&D rules state anywhere that new vampires rise with an irrepressible thirst and will rush at the first mortal within sight, but I'd say it's a sufficiently well-established tradition in vampire fiction.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

NihilCredo posted:

I don't think D&D rules state anywhere that new vampires rise with an irrepressible thirst and will rush at the first mortal within sight, but I'd say it's a sufficiently well-established tradition in vampire fiction.

And, you know, he just had a custom spell cast on him to accelerate his vampirism.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
I think Malack's epiphany here means he possibly rose Durkon as a more free-willed vampire, to have him as an immortal colleague and not a child-thrall. Hell, Malack might let Durkon walk away - they have centuries to catch up, after all.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Also, it's been established and stated time and again, and this is a nice reminder, that at this point OOTS is much more about telling a fantasy story than strict adherence to some external rule set.

Of course I shouldn't say that too loudly, lest the OOTS forums hear me.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

He even laid Durkon on his shield. Thoughtful!

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Amazing how he perfectly weaves excuses for DnD rule fudging into the text.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

oobey posted:

Also, it's been established and stated time and again, and this is a nice reminder, that at this point OOTS is much more about telling a fantasy story than strict adherence to some external rule set.
Yeah, that's what I like most about OotS - Rich knows when to put the rulebook aside, and not do silly spergy things like, say, having a hit point counter tick down above the character's head as he is dying.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
Awesome. Nothing like a good heel turn to liven up a dull protagonist. Durkula Lives!

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

:cripes:

At least you didn't call him Alukrud.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot

DaveWoo posted:

Yeah, that's what I like most about OotS - Rich knows when to put the rulebook aside, and not do silly spergy things like, say, having a hit point counter tick down above the character's head as he is dying.
Check out this "sound effect" from the latest Erfworld:

I mean, really?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
So, uh, now the party is minus one cleric. That's kinda a problem.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Did anyone else have a sick feeling in their stomach before they clicked this one?

Danzou posted:

Check out this "sound effect" from the latest Erfworld:

I mean, really?

Rich had an 'AOO' sound effect back in the battle for Azure City. For, naturally, an attack of opportunity. But yeah, he knows when to handwave it.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:
Poor Durkon :(

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Yikes. There's two things that jump out after reading that: The Fire King's achilles heel is his loyalty to those closest to him, including his half-elf sister. His plan involves the genocide of every other elf on the plane. There is a glaring problem here; did Rich ever say how/if that got addressed?

And how did he cast arcane spells in full plate, anyway? I had a character once who was a fighter/wizard prestige class (it had a lot to do with the setting and this isn't the thread for that story), and the best he could do was drop his fail chance somewhat, and getting mithril plate for him became a major campaign sidequest. I still mostly relied on wands.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

CapnAndy posted:

And how did he cast arcane spells in full plate, anyway? I had a character once who was a fighter/wizard prestige class (it had a lot to do with the setting and this isn't the thread for that story), and the best he could do was drop his fail chance somewhat, and getting mithril plate for him became a major campaign sidequest. I still mostly relied on wands.

Mithril and a one level dip in Spellsword from Complete Warrior gets you most of the way there. I think there's feats and equipment enchantments from various splatbooks that you can use to drag it down to near 0%.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

CapnAndy posted:

Yikes.
There's two things that jump out after reading that: The Fire King's achilles heel is his loyalty to those closest to him, including his half-elf sister. His plan involves the genocide of every other elf on the plane. There is a glaring problem here; did Rich ever say how/if that got addressed?

Couldn't he just kill her, then true res her after the ritual?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

I only just now realized that this is a "Varsuuvius is androgynous" joke.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

inthesto posted:

Mithril and a one level dip in Spellsword from Complete Warrior gets you most of the way there. I think there's feats and equipment enchantments from various splatbooks that you can use to drag it down to near 0%.
Spellsword! That was my prestige class! Adamantite is not mithril, though.

wdarkk posted:

I dunno, man, it's not my villain!

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Toussaint Louverture posted:

Rule as DM: if you want a TPK, target the cleric. If you want a fight to drag on forever, kill the arcane casters.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

wdarkk posted:

No need. Just Plane Shift her and any other elvish friend out of the way, give them a scroll to come back.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

Rule as DM: if you want a TPK, target the cleric. If you want a fight to drag on forever, kill the arcane casters.

...That's disconcerting. They really could all just die off here. Cleric's been turned, the arcanist is lost, and part of their offence is Dominated.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Mar 5, 2013

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Toussaint Louverture posted:

Elan will have to step up and be more competent with his magic now, although they now lack any raise dead spells either way.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Bloodly posted:

...That's disconcerting. They really could all just die off here. Cleric's been turned, the arcanist is lost, and part of their offence is Dominated.
Yeah, unless Durkon is both free-willed and still intent on helping the OotS, I guess their best chance is probably for Tarquin & co. to run into Xykon's party and either derail or at least soften them up.

(Though to be fair, I wasn't really seeing them having a chance against "handily defeats epic wizards" Xykon in the first place, as opposed to "lets himself be beheaded and thrown by a bare-handed fighter" Xykon.)

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I could almost see Rich killing off all of the protagonists and making the rest of the strip about the antagonists vying for the gates. He clearly likes writing antagonists more than protagonists (that just may be his GM experience shining through though).

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

NihilCredo posted:

Yeah, unless Durkon is both free-willed and still intent on helping the OotS, I guess their best chance is probably for Tarquin & co. to run into Xykon's party and either derail or at least soften them up.

(Though to be fair, I wasn't really seeing them having a chance against "handily defeats epic wizards" Xykon in the first place, as opposed to "lets himself be beheaded and thrown by a bare-handed fighter" Xykon.)

Even lich casters don't have much defense against sunder attempts and grapple checks. A fighter half his level could easily do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

...well, poo poo. Okay, fangs over beard and character evolution all in one. Fair enough.

Gonna be tense seeing how this pans out. :suspense:

Oh, and if Belkar dies in the next page or two, we should pause for a moment and consider that Malack on his own killed off 1/3 of the Order. The best Xykon, Redcloak, and the entire hobgoblin army could do was one, and he got better!