Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
When adding steeping grains for an extract beer, will adding flaked oats have any effect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

two_beer_bishes posted:

When adding steeping grains for an extract beer, will adding flaked oats have any effect?

If you steep some 2-row or other grain with diastatic power with the flaked oats and "steep" for over 30 minutes or so, you'll be doing a partial mash. Generally with steeped grains you don't include those types, so flaked oats will do very little but will give you a very slight body and flavor difference.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

two_beer_bishes posted:

Steeping a flaked grain will do nothing but make your beer extremely cloudy. You absolutely need to at least partial mash a starchy adjunct. Simpsons makes a product called "Golden Naked Oats" which is basically a crystal oat malt, supposedly, which I imagine you could steep, but I can't confirm that.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Things not to do: drop a stir bar into a boiling flask of starter wort freshly removed from the burner :stare:

tinsel
Jun 10, 2009

I wonder how this would feel in my mouth...
Starter bars are just pretty much the loving worst all around.

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!
Never had a problem with my stir bar. v0v

Also, for those parties interested, I tasted the live Berliner Weisse (@ 1.020) and it was nicely tart. I think once it finishes fermenting, it'll be just a bit more so. It seems this 'hybrid-mash' works shockingly well, is super-fast, and quite easy.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

tinsel posted:

Starter bars are just pretty much the loving worst all around.

Yeah, just be cognizant of it at all times. I use an extremely powerful magnet to remove mine from the erlenmeyer. Works pretty well.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
I made a starter the other day. In preparation for this, I wanted to rinse my flask to remove some dust. Since I normally store my stirbar in the flask, I carefully tipped the flask to dump the stirbar into my hand. I clearly remember placing the stirbar on the counter. I rinsed the flask, weighed extract, added water, and then the loving stirbar had completely vanished. A fairly intensive search of the kitchen did not turn it up. I had to go buy a new one.

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

Anyone ever made a Perry? Most of the recipes I'm seeing seem to just be pear juice+yeast and let it sit for a year. Also, does Cider/Perry really need to sit that long?

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
If I need to soften my water for a Pilsner water profile should I just cut it down with a gallon or two of distilled water or is there something else I should do? Would I add the distilled water in the mash or the sparge?

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Citizen Z posted:

Anyone ever made a Perry? Most of the recipes I'm seeing seem to just be pear juice+yeast and let it sit for a year. Also, does Cider/Perry really need to sit that long?

I haven't but a general rule of thumb for such things is, if your going to ferment it dry. It needs more time to mellow out, while a sweet one can mask some of those harsher "young" flavors and be drank earlier, but age is always good. Id also think about using some pears in your secondary for that extra pear boost.

@ Internet Celeb. Cant you just go buy spring water for like 80 cents a gallon?

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Marshmallow Blue posted:

@ Internet Celeb. Cant you just go buy spring water for like 80 cents a gallon?

Sure, but I don't know what the mineral content would be. My tap water is great for brewing most styles without adjustment but it's not soft enough for a Pilsner.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
So on that experimental mead I have going - if I started at 1.112, but my yeast will only take up to about 9% alcohol, what point would be a good theoretical gravital to bottle at if I want some bubbles? Or should I just say screw it and bottle a bunch of still mead in wine bottles once the yeast has totally petered out?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

Steeping a flaked grain will do nothing but make your beer extremely cloudy. You absolutely need to at least partial mash a starchy adjunct. Simpsons makes a product called "Golden Naked Oats" which is basically a crystal oat malt, supposedly, which I imagine you could steep, but I can't confirm that.

Alright, sounds like I'm getting ahead of myself while jumping back to extract for now. If this brew goes well I'll look at doing mini mash brews from here out or BIAB. Apartment brewing sucks :(

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Mr. Wiggles posted:

So on that experimental mead I have going - if I started at 1.112, but my yeast will only take up to about 9% alcohol, what point would be a good theoretical gravital to bottle at if I want some bubbles? Or should I just say screw it and bottle a bunch of still mead in wine bottles once the yeast has totally petered out?

Let it ferment all the way out to its final gravity, then bottle with priming sugar as you would a beer. Don't try to bottle it while it's still fermenting because you'll either get exploders or (at best) it won't carbonate at the level you want it to.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

two_beer_bishes posted:

Alright, sounds like I'm getting ahead of myself while jumping back to extract for now. If this brew goes well I'll look at doing mini mash brews from here out or BIAB. Apartment brewing sucks :(

Just do BIAB. You don't even need extra equipment, except for a cheap-o mesh bag, and it's super easy. Get water to temp, dump grain in bag, stir, wait. I do do a batch spage afterwards but you don't even have to. I've done it for the last 4 or 5 brews now and it works great, even on my lovely apartment stove.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Can you do mini-mash/BIAB with only 1 brew pot? I have a mesh bag already

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I would agree with the previous post and let this be a still mead. But if you do decide to bottle, make sure you use champagne or beer bottles. Vanilla wine bottles will bust a move on you. You can also add a bit of seltzer water to your glass and pour your mead in after it. But then again you don't want to dilute it too much already being at 9%. However again, my Caramel Apple pie mead blew past its tolerance and is now working on my secondary fruit additions.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Mr. Wiggles posted:

That 9% is not a guarantee. Some yeast are going to reproduce with higher tolerance and slowly keep chugging through the sugars. Wine bottles don't take pressure so I would agree to let it ferment out completely. Kegging is another option for making sparkling mead that I'd love to try sometime.

Citizen Z posted:

I haven't personally made any perry but it is similar to cider: fruit good for eating makes boring cider/perry. You can certainly try it but don't expect much. It might need some tweaking with added tannins and acid blend before bottling.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
It's amazing how much a beer changes from uncarbonated to carbonated. I didn't like my mild very much before carbonating, a bit too estery, but now that it's carbonated I enjoy it a lot.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

internet celebrity posted:

If I need to soften my water for a Pilsner water profile should I just cut it down with a gallon or two of distilled water or is there something else I should do? Would I add the distilled water in the mash or the sparge?

You can cut down your water like that if it will get you in the right range for mineral content, sure. You might also consider buying all distilled or RO water and then adding minerals to approximate the mineral content of Plzn's water.

Whichever way you go, you should treat all the water for the batch.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

mewse posted:

Can you do mini-mash/BIAB with only 1 brew pot? I have a mesh bag already

If you don't want to do a sparge, then yes definitely, assuming your pot is big enough.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Jo3sh posted:

I made a starter the other day. In preparation for this, I wanted to rinse my flask to remove some dust. Since I normally store my stirbar in the flask, I carefully tipped the flask to dump the stirbar into my hand. I clearly remember placing the stirbar on the counter. I rinsed the flask, weighed extract, added water, and then the loving stirbar had completely vanished. A fairly intensive search of the kitchen did not turn it up. I had to go buy a new one.

This has happened to me as well. I finally found it 6 months later stuck in the drawer under my oven where I keep baking sheets, which was not open at any point when I was making my starter :wtc: To this day I have literally no idea how it got in there. loving stir bars.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I decided to drop the teflon stir bar in while the starter wort was still boiling because hey, free sanitizing, right? It immediately created a loving volcano in my kitchen.

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

My name is Buck, and I'm here to fuck
I've had the same problem you guys have with losing stir bars, only it happened to me with my long stainless steel spoon a few months ago. I still get really irritated about it because how does something that big just disappear when you set it down for a second.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Marshmallow Blue posted:

I would agree with the previous post and let this be a still mead. But if you do decide to bottle, make sure you use champagne or beer bottles. Vanilla wine bottles will bust a move on you. You can also add a bit of seltzer water to your glass and pour your mead in after it. But then again you don't want to dilute it too much already being at 9%. However again, my Caramel Apple pie mead blew past its tolerance and is now working on my secondary fruit additions.

Well I'll just bottle like my regular beers then (with priming sugar after fermentation). The hard part will be waiting to see how long it takes to stop fermenting. Of course, that means I get to sample a lot.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Whodat Smith-Jones posted:

I still get really irritated about it because how does something that big just disappear when you set it down for a second.

When we had cats, they used to steal poo poo from us all the time. We still blame them when things suddenly disappear and when they turn up in random places.

Docjowles, after your post, I had to go check all my drawers again. Still no dice. I'll find it in the garage or some poo poo, I just know it.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Jo3sh posted:

When we had cats, they used to steal poo poo from us all the time. We still blame them when things suddenly disappear and when they turn up in random places.

Docjowles, after your post, I had to go check all my drawers again. Still no dice. I'll find it in the garage or some poo poo, I just know it.

I ordered an entire bag of stir bars and my wife threw them away the next day.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Aren't they magnetic? What are the chances that it is stuck the side/bottom of something that was nearby when it was lost?

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

withak posted:

Aren't they magnetic? What are the chances that it is stuck the side/bottom of something that was nearby when it was lost?

Chances are good. That said, I have not found the item to which it is stuck.

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

Cpt.Wacky posted:

I haven't personally made any perry but it is similar to cider: fruit good for eating makes boring cider/perry. You can certainly try it but don't expect much. It might need some tweaking with added tannins and acid blend before bottling.

Honestly, I find the Woodchuck Pear Cider(Which I think is actually a straight perry) to be incredibly boring. But my wife likes it, and I thought it would be nice to make her a batch. She seems to have lost her interest in beer and hasn't been very interested in the batches I've produced so far.

I'm kicking around making a Pear Cider, or a cyser with some pear. I'll probably try all of the above, as I'd like her to enjoy the fruits(heh) of my new hobby instead of just being annoyed on brew days that I've monopolized the kitchen.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Citizen Z posted:

I'll probably try all of the above, as I'd like her to enjoy the fruits(heh) of my new hobby instead of just being annoyed on brew days that I've monopolized the kitchen.

It gets worse when you need her to pour something while your hands are occupied. I NEED MORE HANDS (A Thesis by Marshmallow Blue)

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

Marshmallow Blue posted:

It gets worse when you need her to pour something while your hands are occupied. I NEED MORE HANDS (A Thesis by Marshmallow Blue)

My brew buddy bailed on bottling day for Top Gun 3D, so I had to convince her to help me bottle yesterday. I probably owe her a week's worth of indentured servitude for that one.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I'm doing a brew this weekend and in preparation I plan on drilling out the lid of my fermenter bucket so I can fit a carboy bung in there. The goal is to make it so that it's easier to insert a beer thief into the brew for sampling. What size hole should I drill?

Brewing with the wife is the best. We're doing a Tripel and a Cerveza.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm doing a brew this weekend and in preparation I plan on drilling out the lid of my fermenter bucket so I can fit a carboy bung in there. The goal is to make it so that it's easier to insert a beer thief into the brew for sampling. What size hole should I drill?

Brewing with the wife is the best. We're doing a Tripel and a Cerveza.

1. Measure diameter of beer thief
2. Add about 0.25" for clearance/convenience
3. Consult bung sizing list
4. Drill really really slowly because that plastic will chip away quickly and a crack = ruined lid. Also, probably use a hole bit and not a spade bit, or better yet use a drill press.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
How much dry yeast do people typically add at bottling time when needed? I've got a 10.5% stout that's been sitting around for a little while that I'd be more comfortable putting some fresh yeast in, but I don't want to add too much. My current guess is 1/2 packet?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The amount of yeast shouldn't matter much; the amount of new sugar is what matters. Might as well toss the entire packet in. What else are you going to do with a half-packet of opened dry yeast anyway?

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What size hole should I drill?

Kinda depends on what size stopper or bung you are using. I used to use a 1.25" hole saw to make holes for my #7 stoppers. Worked great, was easy to get a thief or autosiphon in and out.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

RiggenBlaque posted:

How much dry yeast do people typically add at bottling time when needed? I've got a 10.5% stout that's been sitting around for a little while that I'd be more comfortable putting some fresh yeast in, but I don't want to add too much. My current guess is 1/2 packet?

Yeah half a packet should be plenty. I recommend rehydrating, especially if you're throwing them into a harsh environment like a huge imperial stout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
I have a really good Watermelon Wheat recipe that the ladies love. It would be even better if I could make it a deep red color to suit the fruit. I was thinking of going Schwarzbier on my recipe and crushing up 1-2 oz roasted barley in a coffee grinder, and adding it to the end of my mash to bump up the color a little bit. Has anyone done something similar?