Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Well IFC has always been stuck on some premium tier that I've never had personally but I've always had TBS. That's all the defense I can really offer on saying that. Pretty sure TBS doesn't count as basic cable so I literally didn't know how to refer to it in another way.

Basic cable is exactly what TBS is. Conan's band is even called The Basic Cable Band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

tnimark posted:

He seems to have a running gag about how much he loves pussy. He has been retweeting dozens and dozens of tweets that are all variations of "Man, @toddglass sure does love pussy", "Hey, @toddglass, leave some pussy for the rest of us", etc.

Sounds like the reason I stopped following Neil Hamburger. He would always re-tweet random people saying "Taco Bell gave me the shits" and variants of that sort.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
It's certainly possible that bigger names were interested in Maron, but IFC will give him more control over the show.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Basic cable is exactly what TBS is. Conan's band is even called The Basic Cable Band.

Tell that to Comcast. Apparently basic cable to them is local OTA stations, CNN, QVC, and Fox News. On what planet is that basic cable?

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Teddybear posted:

Tell that to Comcast. Apparently basic cable to them is local OTA stations, CNN, QVC, and Fox News. On what planet is that basic cable?
Looks like TBS is in their cheapest lineup to me (while IFC isn't).

Unless you mean 'free with an internet-only sub' or something, but that's not 'basic cable', that's 'not having cable'.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Basic cable is just your local affiliates. Anything else is expanded cable. It's like that for Comcast, Time Warner, and Charter.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Harminoff posted:

Basic cable is just your local affiliates. Anything else is expanded cable. It's like that for Comcast, Time Warner, and Charter.

No, basic cable is whatever comes with your provider's basic cable package. If you're only getting local channels, it's not cable just because it's coming from a coaxial cable in your wall.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I work for those three companies and that is what we call the different packages. If you were to get basic cable which is like $17 a month all you would get is abc/cbs/fox/pbs/hsn/qvc to get standard which is around $50 you would get your espn/nick/mtv type channels. IFC is above that though in Tier 1 which also includes things like mtv jams, ID, nick toons and so on. Then there is also tier 2 which would add on the extra sports channels.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Doug Stanhope put out a podcast about l'Affaire Andrist.

http://stanhope.libsyn.com/ds-idhap-001?utm_source=DS+has+a+podcast+%28022713%29&utm_campaign=podcast+2%2F28%2F13&utm_medium=email

He says he bought gear, so I get the feeling he'll dabble in podcasting more seriously at some point.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Also, to whomever said at least Pete Holmes made cable: IFC is cable.

I've heard it called "deep Cable", on some podcast.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
Looks like Walking the Room is taking a hiatus. Either something bad happened to Greg, or Greg did something bad.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

wafflesnsegways posted:

Looks like Walking the Room is taking a hiatus. Either something bad happened to Greg, or Greg did something bad.
I thought Greg was going on tour with his band or was recording new material, so more of the latter than the former?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Maybe, but he says that Greg broke Greg. Problems at home, maybe? This sucks, WTR is one of my favorites.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

A couple of my friends started up a podcast called An Innocent Looking Bookstore, and it's pretty good! It's based in Baltimore, so pretty much all of their guests are locals, but they know a lot of funny and interesting people, and it's a welcome change from hearing the same ten comedians interview each other all the time. If you're into loud, foul-mouthed nerds arguing about nerdy stuff, it'll be right up your alley.

My favorite episodes so far are Ep. 13 (guest Jen Tydings), Ep. 31 (guest Danielle Robinette), Ep. 34 (guest Johno Marra), and Ep. 37 (guest Dave K.). The live episode is pretty good, too.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

CombineThresher posted:

A couple of my friends started up a podcast called An Innocent Looking Bookstore, and it's pretty good! It's based in Baltimore, so pretty much all of their guests are locals, but they know a lot of funny and interesting people, and it's a welcome change from hearing the same ten comedians interview each other all the time. If you're into loud, foul-mouthed nerds arguing about nerdy stuff, it'll be right up your alley.

My favorite episodes so far are Ep. 13 (guest Jen Tydings), Ep. 31 (guest Danielle Robinette), Ep. 34 (guest Johno Marra), and Ep. 37 (guest Dave K.). The live episode is pretty good, too.

Are there any discussions of The Wire on there?

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
I feel a little lovely saying this, but whatever is happening with Greg, I hope that the documentary crew is catching it.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
Dave just posted this on Facebook: "If I were to take a guess right now, I'd say 143 would be the final WTR."

drat. So whatever happened, has gotten worse.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

escape artist posted:

Are there any discussions of The Wire on there?

I think so, but they're vastly outnumbered by discussions of Batman and how much the hosts hate Whoopie Goldberg. Baltimorons have understandably mixed feelings about The Wire.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Billy Gnosis posted:

Dave just posted this on Facebook: "If I were to take a guess right now, I'd say 143 would be the final WTR."

drat. So whatever happened, has gotten worse.

:( I hope it's nothing too crazy, but I suppose whatever it is, it must be pretty harsh. At least TOFOP is back, but drat... WTR is my favorite.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

FitFortDanga posted:

:( I hope it's nothing too crazy, but I suppose whatever it is, it must be pretty harsh. At least TOFOP is back, but drat... WTR is my favorite.

Now Dave has tweeted that 143 may be the last episode.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Man, I always figured the end of Walking the Room would be a little more explosive.

Involving literal explosives.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

loving hell this makes me so sad. My guess is that Greg used all the kickstarter cash on sweaters and pants. I guess I have to find a new podcast that updates on Sundays.

5$ says the real reason is that Greg and his wife split up

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Sandweed posted:

5$ says the real reason is that Greg and his wife split up

As depressing as it is, my money is on that or something went wrong with the medication he is on and he had some sort of breakdown.

Its kind of weird how much we know about people's personal lives thanks to podcasts.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
Well god drat, I really hope Greg turns out alright. The guy is a husband and father of two :(

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Greg is still posting on twitter as https://twitter.com/Sweatergb So I guess he's OK, maybe.

loving poo poo oval office, this is so uncool. I wonder if Dave will refund the 25$ dollars I donated to the podcast in 2011...

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I'm definitely bummed after they've mentioned they were planning to do Bridgetown Comedy Festival in Portland this year in the last few episodes.

Actually, I think Bridgetown has already been locked down, so there might be some hope for one final Starfish Circus, at least. Fingers crossed.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 5, 2013

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

More from Dave, but still no explanation:

http://comediandaveanthony.tumblr.com/post/44571904035/the-podcast-some-clarification#_=_

quote:

The honest truth is things are worse than I thought. And they are pretty difficult for me to deal with, nor do I want to deal with it.

So, the podcast is shut down for now. I don’t know if it comes back or when it comes back. We were originally supposed to be down for a month and then we’d start up again but as of this point, I don’t see that as a possibility. Right now I don’t see how it can happen at all but I am willing to admit things change and to not close the door.

So, it is what it is. Right now there is no podcast. And it will be that way for a while.

This is entirely my decision.

dave

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I am really wondering what the hell happened, and really bummed out.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Walking the Room was the podcast I saved for last because it was like a dessert. A sick dessert that smelled bad but dessert nonetheless.

The more cryptic tweets Dave does without ANY response from Greg makes me wonder if Greg hosed off with some of the money or something. But this is all wild speculation.

At the very least, we got the Dave Holmes story about the Shower Rangers in the second live cuddle. Nothing can take that away. (Seriously the best story ever told.)

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

I follow Gregs sister on tumbler, she posted this:

http://kristenbehrendt.tumblr.com/post/44119834911/from-the-bottom-looking-up

Godspeed noble gryffon. I can't believe I'm almost tearing up over a podcast.

Sandweed fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 5, 2013

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
What's a good entry point for Walking the Room?

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Maarak posted:

What's a good entry point for Walking the Room?

The first 10 or so have horrible sound quality.

#22 is one of the first hobotang mentions
#24 features the start of the classic "no snitching" bit that nearly made me drive my car off the road the first time I heard it
#39 has some pure gold with the birth of Little Big Dollhouse Explanations

Really, any of the guest ones with Wil Anderson, Patton Oswalt, Brian Posehn, Kyle Kinane, or Karen Kilgariff are worth a listen.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

It's kind of Uhh Yeah Dude lite in that WTR has its own sort of vocabulary and callbacks, so even with the poor sound quality, it might be best to start at episode one.

The Kyle Kinane episode is an A+, though.

EDIT: The Justin Hamilton episode has a story that, if the full Kyle Kinane episode is A+, Hamilton's story alone is A+++.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Jesus, Mike Schmidt leaves Never Not Funny, Todd Glass Leaves Comedy and Everything Else, TOFOP goes kaput, WTR implodes - every time a podcast changes/goes away, it's always under the most mysterious circumstances that no one will ever talk about.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

caligulamprey posted:

Jesus, Mike Schmidt leaves Never Not Funny, Todd Glass Leaves Comedy and Everything Else, TOFOP goes kaput, WTR implodes - every time a podcast changes/goes away, it's always under the most mysterious circumstances that no one will ever talk about.
Let's not forget the great Tompkins-Scharpling Schism

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

At least with TOFOP they were pretty honest that Charlie's new family-friendly acting job was willing to pay him extra to NOT talk about prison rape, time travel, and bad Batman impersonations.

But yeah, Todd Glass leaving Comedy and Everything Else where I think they were even going to tell what happened but only if a fundraiser hit a certain target, or the many many engineers who've left Earwolf (not to forget Cyber Thug). It's really quite bizarre.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
I thought the situation with Schmidt was fairly clear. Although I guess it might not have been at the time.

I am incredibly bummed out. WTR was the first podcast I really got into and even though it introduced me to a lot of other comedians and podcasts and I listen to a ton of shows now, WTR is the one I love above all others, for whatever sick, twisted reason.

(And yeah, my money is on something going wrong with Greg's marriage. I kind of got the vibe that something was up from the last batch of episodes, don't ask me why.)

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CaptainRat posted:

I thought the situation with Schmidt was fairly clear. Although I guess it might not have been at the time.
They never really specifically outlined the reasons though, I always thought Jimmy thought Mike was over-powering the show and taking it over, which he kind of was, really.

CaptainRat posted:

(And yeah, my money is on something going wrong with Greg's marriage. I kind of got the vibe that something was up from the last batch of episodes, don't ask me why.)
From the statement on Greg's Sister's Tumblr, it reads like a drug/alcohol relapse, which would suck.

I'm basically an old biddy who wants hot Podcast gossip.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
I hurried to listen to this week's Never Not Funny, hoping to hear a funny side of Bob Zany. Nope, he really is just boring and unfunny. It made me cringe listening to him talk about how great he was, and how he didn't listen to Rodney Dangerfield when he told him not to do a dumb catchphrase. Maybe I was just reading my own feelings in to it, but I kind of got a "I guess I have to finally give in and have him on" vibe from Jimmy. Some of those pilots he talked about sounded dire, no wonder none of them took off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I fell like Todd left CaEE just so he could do bits and then bail out of them instead of taking about tort reform and other serious poo poo (though I did love the show when Todd was on).

I never heard about PFT and Tom Scharpling. I never listened to Tom's show but they seemed like actual friends on CDR/CBB

• Locked thread