Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Well that's reassuring then; good to know the marketing was just really bad rather than the game reveling in what's happening to Lara.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I think there'll be more of a divisive response once more people have played further into the game, probably. I could definitely see spots where people would be dissapointed. Personally, I think the way the game treats killing is far more interesting, but it's still a discussion that's warranted by the game's content.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Dan Didio posted:

I think there'll be more of a divisive response once more people have played further into the game, probably. I could definitely see spots where people would be dissapointed. Personally, I think the way the game treats killing is far more interesting, but it's still a discussion that's warranted by the game's content.

I think it's somewhat interesting, how so far Lara legitimately seems to enjoy killing people in her internal monologues, but the second she talks to anybody else, she acts all mortified at what she's doing.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Steam just updated for :britain:. Loading it up now.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Rookersh posted:

I think it's somewhat interesting, how so far Lara legitimately seems to enjoy killing people in her internal monologues, but the second she talks to anybody else, she acts all mortified at what she's doing.

I don't think she enjoys it so much as she relishes being able to take control and regain some agency.

Honestly, I was more thinking of the fact that the game doesn't condemn these actions or hesitate to reward Lara for acting that way. As the game goes on, she actually is starting to become colder and crueler at the point that I'm up to and I think it's a more interesting, naturalistic approach to a character in that situation than one who whimpers and finally 'overcomes' her own own hesitation. Right from the get-go Lara veers between horror, outrage and satisfaction and relief and I think the game's chaotic approach to her portrayal in the early stages of it is similarly more appropriate than an 'arc'.

People, including me, were criticizing the fact that the game gives you xp for killing with headshosts, etc. etc. pre-release, but that's not anywhere near of a conflict with narrative as it initially appeared.

EDIT: I'm trying to be light on definitive spoilers because it's difficult to gauge where everyone else is up to.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

It's a shame they didn't manage to work in some 'gritty' first aid into it, given the overall tone of the game, a la FarCry, at least for the survival section. The injuries and their effects are irritatingly inconsistent. One minute she can hardly walk, the next minute she's happily scaling cliffs, without worrying about the hole through her torso or the fact her foot was in a man trap.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 5, 2013

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

sebmojo posted:

More generally, how demanding is it graphically? I have a GTX460 1gig, 4 gig RAM and a Phenom ii x3 720, which is somewhere between the minimum and recommended settings. Does it scale nicely?

More info here, I'm running an i7 3770k with a 7970 and have everything on ultra except AA (fxaa) and tressfx off @ 2560x1440, and it runs at flat 60fps. Enable tressfx and that drops to 35-40. Game looks nice, but not blown-away nice for ultra. To be expected since it's only 9gb, so they're probably using reasonably low-res textures.

Also, I'm really not a fan of Lara's voice actor.

Murodese fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 5, 2013

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Brynyolf, from Skyrim, is your weapons tutorial dude, holy poo poo. :haw:

e; you guys weren't kidding about the doodads. :byodood:

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 5, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

People, including me, were criticizing the fact that the game gives you xp for killing with headshosts, etc. etc. pre-release, but that's not anywhere near of a conflict with narrative as it initially appeared.

EDIT: I'm trying to be light on definitive spoilers because it's difficult to gauge where everyone else is up to.

I strongly disagree. The headshot indicator completely is massively at odds with everything else in the game. The very first kill that is within the player's direct control is a insane tone difference from everything around it, not to mention scenes like "No, no, stay back, you don't have to do this" right as the game sets up a massive flaming lantern for you to drop on the enemies.

The game in general has really serious issues with veering between trying to have a narrative and trying to be a video game. It's a fun video game but holy poo poo do the gameplay aspects conflict with the storyline aspects. Even in little ways, like being in a flaming room but having to go back two rooms in order to light your torch in order to set a doodad on fire.

I think the marketing is out of tone but at least part of that is that the game is also all over the place. It gets better as it goes on but there is some drastic oddity between Lara as presented and Lara in gameplay and what the gameplay encourages. The billion doodads don't help that much either as they don't help the tone issues much. It's by no means crippling and in fact lends itself towards better gameplay, but it's pretty clear Tomb Raider is a game first and a narrative second.

I will say that I don't care because the game itself is pretty fun. Although I will warn people that it's pretty straightforwardly linear, even compared to something like Arkham City. You do occasionally venture back through previous areas but you're guided there by a fairly linear path as opposed to it feeling like a naturalistic return. You can Base Camp back to previous areas to find new items and equipment though, but it's more akin to fast travelling back to a previous level. Not entirely so as there is some revisiting, but it's far closer to that than a Metroid.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 5, 2013

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
So, my fellow Nvidia people who can't run the game, turning Tesselation, V Sync and Exclusive mode off alleviated my crashes.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

660ti here - I turned off TressFX because it's a GPU hog and the constraints on the hair are weirdly off right now. I was getting some shadow glitching until I turned Tesselation off, and SSAO from Ultra to Normal. Everything else is maxed, though.

Almost no perceptible loss of quality. I'm using my own Ultra SMAA setup for SweetFX instead of the games own FXAA. @1080p, the benchmark says 50fps average, 45fps minimum. Game tuned, now to play properly.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
What the gently caress am I supposed to do in the choke QTE? I have pressed mouse buttons, WASD, E, and none of them work.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

'F', I think.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I strongly disagree. The headshot indicator completely is massively at odds with everything else in the game. The very first kill that is within the player's direct control is a insane tone difference from everything around it, not to mention scenes like "No, no, stay back, you don't have to do this" right as the game sets up a massive flaming lantern for you to drop on the enemies.

At it's most basic core, the narrative is, first and foremost, about Lara becoming a killer, and then a more proficient killer, just because she's reluctant at first doesn't mean the game isn't condoning killing. The narrative is fundamentally about accepting, and becoming, better at killing. The game rewards you for becoming better at killing. That's the same ideaology.

The tone of her first, and early kills are different, yes, but that doesn't mean thsoe are narrative's defining morality; if anything, those are the kills, and feelings, that Lara has to overcome.

Keep in mind that later in the game Lara's most triumphant moments are when she kills scores of people to save her friends, hell a center-piece early cutscene that forms the bulk of the later conflict between the characters is Lara urging Whitman not to put down his gun and to continue fighting.

Lara's initial reluctance to kill is very quickly subsumed by both the growing narrative and the game's mechanics. That's not a mistake.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Weissritter posted:

'F', I think.

Thanks, that worked. Would it have killed them to include the letters of the keys instead of some arbitrary symbol?

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
So just something I noticed in the details because I'm a giant sperglord: Why is the C-130 that's shot down over the island a US Coast Guard aircraft? I'm pretty sure that neither Kadena, Misawa, nor Futenma have USCG personnel/aircraft, so shouldn't this be at least a USAF or USMC plane (or maybe even JASDF/JMSDF)? I'm not complaining, or trying to be a MY IMMERSION sperg, just thought that was odd.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

So just something I noticed in the details because I'm a giant sperglord: Why is the C-130 that's shot down over the island a US Coast Guard aircraft? I'm pretty sure that neither Kadena, Misawa, nor Futenma have USCG personnel/aircraft, so shouldn't this be at least a USAF or USMC plane (or maybe even JASDF/JMSDF)? I'm not complaining, or trying to be a MY IMMERSION sperg, just thought that was odd.

It's a wizard's plane.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Does having a newer AMD card help the fps hit/look of TressFX at all?

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Does having a newer AMD card help the fps hit/look of TressFX at all?

It always looks like poo poo unfortunately. As for FPS hit, I've seen some benchmarks say no, but I don't have an AMD card and can't actually say for sure. I feel the way it looks in motion and how much of a performance hit is a big reason why we only saw still images of the tech and no video at all.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
That makes sense. I was willing to pay $35 or whatever for a cool tech demo but I guess if I'm buying it for gameplay I'll just wait until Christmas when the game is $10. Thanks.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

That makes sense. I was willing to pay $35 or whatever for a cool tech demo but I guess if I'm buying it for gameplay I'll just wait until Christmas when the game is $10. Thanks.

FFXIII has good hair. Pixar do good hair too. Oh and Bayonetta has a character completely dressed in hair. Magic hair.

If computerised hair is your uh thing.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

ymgve posted:

Thanks, that worked. Would it have killed them to include the letters of the keys instead of some arbitrary symbol?

They're the action button (e) and the melee button (f). You can set them in the options (they're ID'd by symbol). They told you what they were the first few times, but it can be hard to remember. Sometimes there's a 'Press yourboundbutton' that pops up, but I haven't seen a pattern to when they actually do it.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
This game shall be awarded the best worst combat barks trophy.

"OooooowwwwwFUCK she's a good shot :byodood:"

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012
anyone know of any good proxy to unlock the game early? All the ones I've tried are poo poo.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

El Chingon posted:

anyone know of any good proxy to unlock the game early? All the ones I've tried are poo poo.

I used VPNSecure.me to get it started, then turned the VPN off and it's still going for me. I hope it works. If not, I'll just have to play it tomorrow, which is not a huge deal.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

The weird shadow-glitches I was experiencing disappeared after I updated to the very latest Nvidia beta drivers. Some came out just yesterday, apparently. Back to running the game with everything at full except for TressFX (it just looks squirly - not sure I'd use it even if I wasn't taking a performance hit). I've substituted the game's own FXAA for my own ultra SMAA, which is almost as pretty as 8xMSAA, but comes at near-zero performance cost.

Doctor Doctor
May 25, 2009

"I'm not a hero, I'm just an old killer"

poptart_fairy posted:

Brynyolf, from Skyrim, is your weapons tutorial dude, holy poo poo. :haw:

e; you guys weren't kidding about the doodads. :byodood:

I warned you bro, I warned you about the doodads.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

TressFX has some potential I think. It just needs more time. The hair definantly needs more 'mass' or something because it just flails. I like the effort though.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
So how frequent are the QTEs? A person in the steam IRC was complaining about them and I'm not a big fan of them. Are they as bad as say Resident Evil 4 where you have to repeat long sections of them?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Lakbay posted:

So how frequent are the QTEs? A person in the steam IRC was complaining about them and I'm not a big fan of them. Are they as bad as say Resident Evil 4 where you have to repeat long sections of them?

There's never really any prolonged sequences of just button presses. The ones that are that, or close to it, checkpoint fairly well and are generally pretty quick to get through.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 5, 2013

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Ugh, really tempted to sneak in a pre-order on Steam, but I want to get Bioshock Infinite as well, so I really should be saving money. :( Glad to hear most experiences are positive, though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I really like this game, a lot. There are some cheap easy to die sections though, but nothing that is really frustrating.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I said come in! posted:

I really like this game, a lot. There are some cheap easy to die sections though, but nothing that is really frustrating.

It's very much a pass/fail kind of game. Luckily, I haven't even lost any progress due to dying because of a momentary burst of stupidity/a QTE.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Dan Didio posted:

There's never really any prolonged sequences of just button presses. The ones that are that, or close to it, checkpoint fairly well and are generally pretty quick to get through.

Is there any "repeatedly tap X to open this door"? This is important.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Yes. Lots.

vvv And turn cranks!

Winks fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Mar 5, 2013

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

That's the main metroidvania component to your melee weapon. It allows you to bust open sealed doors. And scale walls, but you don't have to mash X for that.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
I've been getting a lot of bugs on the PC version. Some of them funny, some annoying. I've gotten stuck in animations many times. Once I was picking up loot and got stuck in the animation and had to restart from the checkpoint. Another time, I kicked sand and entered a cutscene where you talk on the radio and i never pulled the radio and just started gliding everywhere while doing a single frame of the dodge animation. Then suddenly she had the radio and put it away and this happened

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Haven't had a single bug on the 360. That's dissapointing to hear, though, Nixxes usually do pretty impressive ports.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

It's a little glitchy on PC, but I appreciate the effort they went through to make it a real PC port with the extra features. Nothing game breaking, and it is very pretty on a regular basis. I get a little tired of the shaking camera, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

The only problem I had on the PC version so far was when Windows decided to ask me about switching to basic from aero and a campfire graphic got stuck until I was able to alt tab out and suppress it. It was odd because Windows should never ask me that. Otherwise it's been flawless.

• Locked thread