Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Old Janx Spirit
Jun 26, 2010

an ode to the artisans of
luxury, a willed madness,
a fabulous dinosaur...

Jippa posted:

Yeah that was great. I like the interviews where there is a back and forward. I think he said he is trying to move away from that and more concentrating on the other person.

I think people open up a lot more when marc talks about himself as well.

I agree. The thing is, Marc is no Terry Gross. He's great in conversation with a fellow comedian, but not so good at straight interviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I just got into this podcast, but I loving love Marc Maron. I listened to the Anthony Jeselnik episode first. Next up are Stanhope, Patrice, Tompkins, Oswalt, Cranston, Hannibal, Fiona Apple...

I really like the way they talk about how people got into comedy, and the ups (and especially the downs) in a comedian's young career.

Has anyone read any of his books? He's got a new one coming out in about 2 months.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

escape artist posted:

I just got into this podcast, but I loving love Marc Maron. I listened to the Anthony Jeselnik episode first. Next up are Stanhope, Patrice, Tompkins, Oswalt, Cranston, Hannibal, Fiona Apple...

I also recommend the episodes with Louis CK, Gallagher, and Carlos Mencia. Louis because it's just a classic episode, Gallagher because he's the only one who gets so angry he leaves in the middle of it, and Mencia because he finally admits to joke thievery.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Do any of you listen to the Mental Illness Happy Hour podcast? I see that Marc did episode 2, and the general theme is "how people in arts & entertainment deal with their baggage," which is what the main draw of WTF is for me, but I'm at work with no headphones so I can't listen right now. :v: If you do listen, how is it and how's the host?

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Rabbit Hill posted:

Do any of you listen to the Mental Illness Happy Hour podcast? I see that Marc did episode 2, and the general theme is "how people in arts & entertainment deal with their baggage," which is what the main draw of WTF is for me, but I'm at work with no headphones so I can't listen right now. :v: If you do listen, how is it and how's the host?

It's one of my few must listen podcasts. Sometimes Paul Gilmartin goes a little beyond his reach and gets a little preachy w/r/t other peoples' diagnoses and current thoughts, but his heart's in the right place. I've had some e-mail correspondence with him and he really does care about the show and the people who listen to it.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

synertia posted:

It's one of my few must listen podcasts. Sometimes Paul Gilmartin goes a little beyond his reach and gets a little preachy w/r/t other peoples' diagnoses and current thoughts, but his heart's in the right place. I've had some e-mail correspondence with him and he really does care about the show and the people who listen to it.

I do think its quite heart wrenching at times though so it can be a bit of a slog but worth a listen. (Episodes I'm thinking of are Kulap's, Anyone involving Paul's history, Maria Bamford's, and maybe to a lesser extent Dave Anthony (if you are a Walking the Room listener it definitely puts another spin on him ) ).

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Speaking of Bamford, her WTF episode (and her recent Nerdist episode, also) are must-listens. It actually mad me admire her work more, because she's been through some hosed up situations.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

escape artist posted:

Has anyone read any of his books? He's got a new one coming out in about 2 months.

To my knowledge he is about to publish his first book.

Also, seconding the idea that you need to check out the Mencia episode. That was the first one I ever listened to and it hooked me.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Happy Hippo posted:

To my knowledge he is about to publish his first book.

His first book is called The Jerusalem Syndrome and it came out over ten years ago. I have it, it's decent but he isn't the same person now as he was then. It's still pretty Maron-y, if you like WTF you'll probably like it. I assume his second book will be very good.

Today's episode with Darryl Lenox was pretty good, I had no idea who he was but found his story to be interesting. Also liked Maron getting a bit serious about this patent troll situation.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Rabbit Hill posted:

Yes, the Mental Illness Happy Hour is one of the few podcasts I always listen to, and the Marc Maron episode is fantastic. The Paul F. Tompkins episode of the MentalPod actually helped me learn/acknowledge a few things about myself.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Speaking of Bamford, her WTF episode (and her recent Nerdist episode, also) are must-listens. It actually mad me admire her work more, because she's been through some hosed up situations.

Maria is fantastic. You should definitely check out her MentalPod episode.

Also, every Mental Illness Happy Hour episode is still available, for free at http://mentalpod.com

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Aimee Mann seems really cool. I enjoyed her interview. I love that marc has these random encounters with people that he can bring up.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
I'm biased due to being a huuuuge Mountain Goats fan but today's interview with John Darnielle was very good. Listen if you would like to hear an intelligent, funny man eloquently discuss his heavily troubled youth.

thecopsarehere
Jul 25, 2008

GraPar posted:

I'm biased due to being a huuuuge Mountain Goats fan but today's interview with John Darnielle was very good. Listen if you would like to hear an intelligent, funny man eloquently discuss his heavily troubled youth.

I'll second this as a total non-fan.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I am a fan as well. It was a fantastic episode. Looking forward to Gina Gershon on Thursday as well.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I saw Marc's show in Portland last week and I was the last person in the merchant line. He kept looking back at me with a creep look while he was talking to other people and signing stuff. I bet he's loving people on the road and is going to ruin his marriage.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Yeah you sound reasonable.

Marc's book is up for pre-order on amazon if anyone is interested.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

inferis posted:

I saw Marc's show in Portland last week and I was the last person in the merchant line. He kept looking back at me with a creep look while he was talking to other people and signing stuff. I bet he's loving people on the road and is going to ruin his marriage.

Was it sort of a blank, slightly serious stare when you met eyes?

(Yeah, he was judging you.)

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Kinda wish they break up just so their kid wouldn't have to deal with his old man and young mom. I feel like eventually she's going to break him and convince him he should be a dad at 50... even though he doesn't sound very enthusiastic about it.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I think it's relatively safe to assume anyone that lives their life "on the road" is occasionally unfaithful but speculating on it is pretty, something. Tasteless? Unfair?

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

inferis posted:

Were you wearing shorts?

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Binowru posted:

I also recommend the episodes with Louis CK, Gallagher, and Carlos Mencia. Louis because it's just a classic episode, Gallagher because he's the only one who gets so angry he leaves in the middle of it, and Mencia because he finally admits to joke thievery.

It really isn't anywhere near the best episode or anything, but I recommend the Carrot Top episode. He has his opening act on with him, and he is such a huge sycophant that it's pretty funny.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

epitasis posted:

I think it's relatively safe to assume anyone that lives their life "on the road" is occasionally unfaithful but speculating on it is pretty, something. Tasteless? Unfair?

Listen to "Sleepwalk with Me" for a touching example of this.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I love the Mountain Goats, so naturally I was excited to see* this episode. Just finished it (well, Darnielle is playing right now, so it's almost over)... It was loving amazing.

*see that this episode was created, obviously not watch a podcast.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Mar 6, 2013

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I'm a fair bit behind, has Marc married to the young insane girlfriend, is that what the thread's recent chatter pertains to?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

No, Marc looked at a person in his merch line and so that person assumes he fucks strangers on the road all the time because he looks at people. So now it's a discussion on "road faithfulness". Enjoy

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Just for perspective, I'm fairly certain that Marc has already been divorced twice.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
And it seems like the cause of those divorces was Marc screaming at them or something and not infidelity, but I could be wrong there.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

escape artist posted:

Just for perspective, I'm fairly certain that Marc has already been divorced twice.

Not that this conversation is in any necessary, but he's always been upfront that his marriages ended because of explosive anger issues. I don't think he's ever talked about infidelity, and he's not exactly one to sugarcoat his demons.

In better news, Marc appears in the new Funny or Die video for the Postal Service auditions. Take the advice I followed: don't read the cast list before you watch (sorry for the spoiler, I guess).

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

The Modern Leper posted:

Not that this conversation is in any necessary, but he's always been upfront that his marriages ended because of explosive anger issues. I don't think he's ever talked about infidelity, and he's not exactly one to sugarcoat his demons.

He did a story on an episode of Risk! about cheating on his first wife (or maybe it was just a girlfriend, but it was in New York and he was not sober yet) with a middle-aged hooker while she was away on a trip.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

He definitely cheated on at least one of his wives, he told a story... somewhere... I forget where, about his wife finding plane tickets he bought for the woman he was seeing on the side.

Homeless Wonder
Sep 26, 2005
Not a stupid newbie
His second wife was the one he was seeing on the side while still married to the first wife.

Old Janx Spirit
Jun 26, 2010

an ode to the artisans of
luxury, a willed madness,
a fabulous dinosaur...
Anyone have any idea what specifically Marc was apologizing for on the Gina Gershon episode? He did something to piss off the director of the documentary about Eddie Pepitone, but I haven't re-listened to the episode to try and figure out what.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Old Janx Spirit posted:

Anyone have any idea what specifically Marc was apologizing for on the Gina Gershon episode? He did something to piss off the director of the documentary about Eddie Pepitone, but I haven't re-listened to the episode to try and figure out what.

I'm assuming it was the fact that he sort of excluded, or failed to include anyway, the guy during the conversation. Also maybe that dig about people always interviewing Patton Oswalt and Silverman in every documentary.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Probably not surprising, but man does Mitch Hedberg's wife widow sound a mess.

Also, holy poo poo guys - - what happens if "Maron" bombs? What happens if it does well? I don't know if there's a good outcome available for this. :ohdear:

Doctor Tupac
Oct 9, 2012

by T. Finninho
The Dick Van Dyke episode was sweet, you could tell Marc was really excited to be talking to him.

It's awesome to listen to the interviews with the older comedians and see how sharp they are. Dick Van Dyke does not at all sound like a man pushing 90.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

I like the sort of through-line that has developed with these interviews. Mel Brooks gets him to Carl Reiner. Reiner gets him to Dick van Dyke...

I'll bet anything that Maron did everything he could to get an introduction to Mary Tyler Moore out of the interview.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

The Modern Leper posted:

Probably not surprising, but man does Mitch Hedberg's wife widow sound a mess.

Also, holy poo poo guys - - what happens if "Maron" bombs? What happens if it does well? I don't know if there's a good outcome available for this. :ohdear:

It was really weird to hear her talk about the kid who had posted Mitch's movie to the internet. I was on one of the sites he posted to at the time and it became this weird debate over how much people wanted to respect her wishes.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I'm kind of compelled to google all these weirdos they're talking about because I have no idea who or what any of them are but I know it'll just lead to a pile of more nonsense.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

ChickenArise posted:

It was really weird to hear her talk about the kid who had posted Mitch's movie to the internet. I was on one of the sites he posted to at the time and it became this weird debate over how much people wanted to respect her wishes.

She probably didn't want people to see it because it's absolutely terrible. Not only is it a bad movie, but it's horrible quality so it's not really something you want to be released as part of your husband's legacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I don't know much about James Franco, is there a reason that Marc was being such a smug dick to him the whole time? Working with Marina Abromovic is cool, I don't get why Marc would goof on that like its silly, especially since he seems to aspire to art.

Eddie Pepitone stole the show!

• Locked thread