Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
For some reason I can't edit posts inapp anymore. There's no edit button at all

Ohh wait there it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

got dat wmd posted:

For some reason I can't edit posts inapp anymore. There's no edit button at all

Logging out and logging back in should fix it.

a glorious hole
Nov 21, 2012

I just hit "Mark as Unread" on a thread with a couple posts I hadn't read and now it shows with the unread posts tag displaying an infinite amount.

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

i haven't read through the entire thread, and I apologize if this is already been addressed, but will there ever be support for PMs?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yes.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

a glorious hole posted:

I just hit "Mark as Unread" on a thread with a couple posts I hadn't read and now it shows with the unread posts tag displaying an infinite amount.

This is our way of showing you the bookmark color (as the unread count badge's color) of an unread thread in your bookmarks. I know it's not the most logical thing but we haven't come up with a better idea yet.

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Pokeyman, when are you planning on leaving those of us stuck on ios 5 behind forever?

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
The Facebook app does this really cool thing where you can swipe up on a full screen image and it will close the image. I keep finding myself doing it in awful, realizing it doesn't work and then tapping "done". Can you add it?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Cryptic Edge posted:

Pokeyman, when are you planning on leaving those of us stuck on ios 5 behind forever?

When some compelling feature cannot be reasonably implemented on iOS 5, or when Xcode refuses to build for iOS 5.

There is surprisingly little code that would be simpler if we required iOS 5, and I already don't bother testing on iOS 5, so there's no good reason to bump the required iOS version anytime soon.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Lechtansi posted:

The Facebook app does this really cool thing where you can swipe up on a full screen image and it will close the image. I keep finding myself doing it in awful, realizing it doesn't work and then tapping "done". Can you add it?

Sure! Swipe down should work for now.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Lechtansi posted:

I kept meaning to ask this here but kept forgetting.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I actually hate that Facebook feature because it triggers all the time when I'm trying to pinch to zoom.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Yea it seems a bit too sensitive in Facebook. It's much better on this app.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

pokeyman posted:

Does it help if you fully quit Awful then open it?

"Fully quit" means tap the home button, then double-tap the home button, then long-tap Awful until it starts shaking, then tap the red "Do Not Enter" sign on Awful.

It didn't work at first so I left it aside but after using a few other apps, they came back. I'm not entirely sure what happened.

a glorious hole
Nov 21, 2012

pokeyman posted:

This is our way of showing you the bookmark color (as the unread count badge's color) of an unread thread in your bookmarks. I know it's not the most logical thing but we haven't come up with a better idea yet.

ooh gotcha. I had it happen once before but it was right after a thread closed so I just removed it and forgot til now. Thanks!

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Not sure if this is even possible but I'll throw it in here anyway :cheeky:

When a YouTube video is embedded I like to open it in the YouTube app so I can like/add to watch later/favourite. What I'm doing right now is copying the post URL, opening it in Safari and pressing the title of the embedded video (which then opens the app). It'd be great if you could just press the title in the app but that currently does nothing

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It would also be great if you could select multiple images to upload (like when you press edit on the camera roll or go to post a photo in then Facebook app)

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

pokeyman posted:

When some compelling feature cannot be reasonably implemented on iOS 5, or when Xcode refuses to build for iOS 5.

There is surprisingly little code that would be simpler if we required iOS 5, and I already don't bother testing on iOS 5, so there's no good reason to bump the required iOS version anytime soon.

Ok, well hopefully that won't be for a while. Not ready to replace a device because apple is a bunch of jerks and refuses to keep pushing iOS updates to me.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Because I was traveling I chalked it up to crappy LTE coverage but I'm back home now and it still takes ages to post and refresh. Only been an issue since the latest update.

iPhone 5 if it matters...

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
Testing something quickly.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Am I going insane, or did I hallucinate that the ellipses button on your own posts had an edit button? Did that get pulled, or did I find something new and fun?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Ursine Asylum posted:

Am I going insane, or did I hallucinate that the ellipses button on your own posts had an edit button? Did that get pulled, or did I find something new and fun?

Log out and log in...

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Ursine Asylum posted:

Nah it's a bug, thanks to my attempts to be clever when answering the question "can the logged-in user edit this post?" Should be fixable by logging out and back in, or by visiting the Settings tab. I'll fix it in the next version.

The Blue L-Block
Oct 1, 2005
Tetris <3
All of a sudden my bookmarked threads now say "end of thread" when I try to read them even though I haven't finished the thread. Great app by the way, I just miss browsing on mobile.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The Blue L-Block posted:

All of a sudden my bookmarked threads now say "end of thread" when I try to read them even though I haven't finished the thread. Great app by the way, I just miss browsing on mobile.

How recently did this start happening?

ZebraByNumbers
Oct 26, 2009

Feature request: the ability to paste Forum urls into Awful and load that page.

I see thread links pop up on twitter every now and again, and then suddenly have to deal with the regular site on a phone browser (and in turn, remember my password).

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

ZebraByNumbers posted:

I see thread links pop up on twitter every now and again, and then suddenly have to deal with the regular site on a phone browser (and in turn, remember my password).

Do you always browse in private mode or something? I only ask because I was going to offer the temp solution of opening in safari, bookmarking, then opening Awful.

Maybe a "Paste URL" cell buried in the bottoms of the forums list for this case?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

ZebraByNumbers posted:

I'd like this, too. I subscribe to the Coupons & Deals RSS feed in Google Reader, so I'd like to copy the link from Feedly and paste it into Awful.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

It's not the most user friendly way, but you can take advantage of the app's URL scheme if you want to open a thread in Awful.

Get the thread's ID (it'll be in the URL after the part that says "threadid=") and then in Safari's URL bar type in "awful://threads/<threadid>" and it should open the thread in Awful.

Edit: For example awful://threads/3510131 should open this thread in the app.

Diabolik900 fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 4, 2013

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
One thing you can do is read the clipboard when you open the app. If you check [UIPasteboard generalPasteboard].string (or whatever) when the app becomes active, you could check to see if the user has a forums like copied and throw up a prompt.

Edit: And I guess I could make this my first Awful contribution if I get bored.

ultramiraculous fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 4, 2013

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

ultramiraculous posted:

One thing you can do is read the clipboard when you open the app. If you check [UIPasteboard generalPasteboard].string (or whatever) when the app becomes active, you could check to see if the user has a forums like copied and throw up a prompt.

That's not a bad idea at all.

The Blue L-Block
Oct 1, 2005
Tetris <3

Diabolik900 posted:

How recently did this start happening?

Within the last update :(

I miss passing the time on the stationary bike at the gym.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
One thing I think would help is if when I copy a URL for either an image or link and then tap on the appropriate pop-up buttons is if they immediately popped up a "Paste" menu after. So often I mis-tap after I tap on the insert url or img buttons. I've seen other apps do this and it would improve useability greatly.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

The Blue L-Block posted:

Within the last update :(

I miss passing the time on the stationary bike at the gym.

Tried logging out and back in?

The Blue L-Block
Oct 1, 2005
Tetris <3

pseudonordic posted:

Tried logging out and back in?

No dice.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

ultramiraculous posted:

This was my first thought when reading the feature request. There's already code somewhere that'll translate forums URLs to Awful URLs, so that part's done, and there's a block-based alert sheet too if you like.

edit: And make sure to check both the string and the URL on the pasteboard. Different apps do different things here. (This is as much a note to self as a note to you!)

ZebraByNumbers
Oct 26, 2009

The Dave posted:

Do you always browse in private mode or something? I only ask because I was going to offer the temp solution of opening in safari, bookmarking, then opening Awful.

Heh, the real issue is that never logging out means that I tend to forget my SA password, so I rarely log back in (especially so with awful on my phone). My phone is usually for short bursts of boredom, so sorting out my credentials isn't always worth the effort.

I'm a lazy, lazy man.

ultramiraculous posted:

I really like this. My main concern would be in regards to losing my place on the active thread behind the prompt, but as I can always hit "no", I suppose the onus is on me to not be dumb about it.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

ZebraByNumbers posted:

I really like this. My main concern would be in regards to losing my place on the active thread behind the prompt, but as I can always hit "no", I suppose the onus is on me to not be dumb about it.

Alright, so if I'm getting you right, the fature request is to switch to the new thread automagically and post "ban me" in the old thread after I hide it?

pokeyman posted:

This was my first thought when reading the feature request. There's already code somewhere that'll translate forums URLs to Awful URLs, so that part's done, and there's a block-based alert sheet too if you like.

edit: And make sure to check both the string and the URL on the pasteboard. Different apps do different things here. (This is as much a note to self as a note to you!)

Awesome. You are my everything.

edit: I'm assuming you mean to just check both, because the app might be dumb and set the URL and not the string/etc? or is there another pitfall?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

ultramiraculous posted:

edit: I'm assuming you mean to just check both, because the app might be dumb and set the URL and not the string/etc? or is there another pitfall?

Exactly. I guess check the URL first, then fall back to the string.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Edit: poo poo, this isn't the Australian Politics thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

pokeyman posted:

Nah it's a bug, thanks to my attempts to be clever when answering the question "can the logged-in user edit this post?" Should be fixable by logging out and back in, or by visiting the Settings tab. I'll fix it in the next version.

Alright, cool. Sorry for making GBS threads up the thread with old bugs :shobon: Is there an easy link to "current version known bugs" that can be filtered in github and thrown in the OP, perchance?

• Locked thread