Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I don't mind QTEs but I'd like to know what loving button I'm expected to press in half of them. gently caress that goddamn icon they used. It'd take like, 2 seconds of extra effort to write the code for putting the loving control key/button in its place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

It does feel like a proper PC port to me - good framerates, many visual options, smooth controls (and plays well with mouse + keyboard).

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Protocol7 posted:

I don't mind QTEs but I'd like to know what loving button I'm expected to press in half of them. gently caress that goddamn icon they used. It'd take like, 2 seconds of extra effort to write the code for putting the loving control key/button in its place.

Can only speak for the PC version, but it does actually tell you, it's just not shown very well on the screen. I was missing it a lot at first until I trained my eyes where to look.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

PunkBoy posted:

Ugh, really tempted to sneak in a pre-order on Steam, but I want to get Bioshock Infinite as well, so I really should be saving money. :( Glad to hear most experiences are positive, though.
You could snag an AMD Never Settle code from SA-Mart (or elsewhere), which is Bioshock Infinite and Tomb Raider together for around $50.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

I said come in! posted:

Can only speak for the PC version, but it does actually tell you, it's just not shown very well on the screen. I was missing it a lot at first until I trained my eyes where to look.

Really? I was just looking at the giant exclamation point, and I doubt Shift + 1 is the key to get out of the alleged rape scene.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Protocol7 posted:

Really? I was just looking at the giant exclamation point, and I doubt Shift + 1 is the key to get out of the alleged rape scene.

It's usually either F or E key for me. So I dunno.

Doctor Doctor
May 25, 2009

"I'm not a hero, I'm just an old killer"
I've been playing on PC since last night and I havent had any problems :shrug:

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

I said come in! posted:

It's usually either F or E key for me. So I dunno.

It will always be one of these two keys unless it's a direction. You can change which key means what in the bindings settings.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Installing now.

Does the PC version support the 360 controller?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Bloody Pom posted:

Installing now.

Does the PC version support the 360 controller?

Yes. Natively.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Anyone get this to work on windows 8? Try to go into options it crashes, try to play and it says failed to initialize direct3d.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Works fine for me with Windows 8 x64.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Wiltsghost posted:

Anyone get this to work on windows 8? Try to go into options it crashes, try to play and it says failed to initialize direct3d.

Whatever your problem it isn't Windows 8 plenty of people are playing on it fine. Have you installed Directx and your video card drivers.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

socialsecurity posted:

Whatever your problem it isn't Windows 8 plenty of people are playing on it fine. Have you installed Directx and your video card drivers.

Yeah, even tried the newest beta drivers. Hopefully a reinstall will fix it.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Picked up the game for 360 on a lazy Sunday afternoon, binged through the whole thing over a couple days. Clocked in at about 16 hours and 70% completion by story's end (because I am too lazy to hunt doodads too extensively on a first run). I thought it was pretty fantastic!

Doctor Doctor
May 25, 2009

Can someone please mod the game to change all the collectible labels to "Doodad". I just can't hear it any other way now.

Edit: "Tchotchke Raider"

Doctor Doctor fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Mar 5, 2013

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
I had some graphics artifacting right after entering the temple with blonde dude after upgrading the pickaxe thing but it corrected itself after about 20 seconds. Otherwise, game runs smooth and looks great on Ultra (using the 660ti)

Solid port from what I can tell. Natively works with the 360 controller.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
I failed the first death QTE in the game because the subtitles was blocking the prompt that was telling me which key to press to kick. :saddowns: I failed it like 8 times in a row before I looked down at the subtitles and saw it poking from the bottom.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Wiltsghost posted:

My friend had the same issue and giving him this registry file and having him run it fixed it. Apparently the game holds the config stuff in the registry and sometimes steam isn't creating the entry on install which causes the game to crash when you enter options. The issue with failing to initialize direct3d was exclusive mode, which is disabled in that registry file. (Note: it's my file, you can open and look at it if you want.)

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

VarXX posted:

My friend had the same issue and giving him this registry file and having him run it fixed it. Apparently the game holds the config stuff in the registry and sometimes steam isn't creating the entry on install which causes the game to crash when you enter options. The issue with failing to initialize direct3d was exclusive mode, which is disabled in that registry file. (Note: it's my file, you can open and look at it if you want.)

Worked perfectly. Thank you!

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Does TressFX always devastate FPS, or is this an Nvidia problem? I'm using a Radeon HD 6950, and turning TressFX one tanks me from 55-60 to like 27-32. Its pretty cool in theory, but that is a steep drop, and my card isn't super old or anything.

mmtt
May 8, 2009

VarXX posted:

Fixed it for me too. This should go in the OP for Windows 8.

Also, Lara needs some proper clothing, like a jacket or some such. The weather on the island can be quite...moody I'd say.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

VarXX posted:

I've been getting a lot of bugs on the PC version. Some of them funny, some annoying. I've gotten stuck in animations many times. Once I was picking up loot and got stuck in the animation and had to restart from the checkpoint. Another time, I kicked sand and entered a cutscene where you talk on the radio and i never pulled the radio and just started gliding everywhere while doing a single frame of the dodge animation. Then suddenly she had the radio and put it away and this happened

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhczFRlBT2E

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

mmtt posted:

Fixed it for me too. This should go in the OP for Windows 8.

Also, Lara needs some proper clothing, like a jacket or some such. The weather on the island can be quite...moody I'd say.

She keeps shivering and freezing she should just take a jacket of one of the dozens of bodies laying around instead of running around in a wet tank top.

Doctor Doctor
May 25, 2009

Karnegal posted:

Does TressFX always devastate FPS, or is this an Nvidia problem? I'm using a Radeon HD 6950, and turning TressFX one tanks me from 55-60 to like 27-32. Its pretty cool in theory, but that is a steep drop, and my card isn't super old or anything.

I'm on a 7700 and it ruins my framerate too, I just ended up turning it off since without it everything else runs fine on max.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

VarXX posted:

I've been getting a lot of bugs on the PC version.

Me too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG1sUFpsV-8

It's been a fun game so far though, better than getting stuck with Crysis 3.

Karnegal posted:

I've got a brand new 7850 and it still drops the fps by 15-20. Not to mention that it looks awful, so don't feel bad about keeping it off.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Y'know, on the subject of the thread's title, block pushing was kind of the zeitgeist back then, wasn't it? Original Tomb Raider was pretty much a 3D Prince of Persia (with just as many deaths to falling in pits...).

The trailers have so far magnificently avoided showing anything supernatural, but I wonder if there'll be anything as shockingly weird as a statue of a centaur exploding to life as a living, pulsing life-form or a goddamn T-Rex out of nowhere.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Yeah, guess I didn't expect the new hair tech to work quite as well as they said it would, but it definitely shows promise.

ExplodingSquidx2
Oct 20, 2010

That's a DAMN fine cup of coffee.
I'm loving this game a lot! Tomb Raider was the first PC game I ever bought mind you, now playing this one on PS3. I feel like it's made for the old school fans.

I have noticed a couple of glitches myself, but I'm hoping they stick with the path this has taken for any future games.

Makes me think of Uncharted mixed with Far Cry 3 and of course Tomb Raider.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Ok So i have a really dumb question. I can't figure out how to do the QTE's where its a circle that is moving inward. I swear I've tried clicking at every different point, and it seems to fail no matter what I do. I'm on the PC

Edit: I figured it out. Wow is that a dumb design decision. Put the letter of the key you want me to press. Don't have me memorize your stupid symbols.

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Mar 5, 2013

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

I got thrown off a cliff and lived. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2bDBacKepk

Megasabin posted:

Ok So i have a really dumb question. I can't figure out how to do the QTE's where its a circle that is moving inward. I swear I've tried clicking at every different point, and it seems to fail no matter what I do. I'm on the PC

Use the F button instead.

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008
Why are her tits so big? gently caress's sake they couldn't have made them more proportionate this time, could they? No. Dickheads!

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

gibbed posted:

You could snag an AMD Never Settle code from SA-Mart (or elsewhere), which is Bioshock Infinite and Tomb Raider together for around $50.

AMD may or may not send the codes for you, altough asking the keys from support might help. Reading AMD forums it looks like a complete mess, and I haven't recieved my keys either.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
I'm enjoying this quite a bit so far in terms of the atmosphere. The keyboard controls are a little finicky. I usually prefer keyboard, but I'm thinking about trying out the Xbox controller. On the downside, I've found the death scenes to be gratuitous and mildly distasteful (I haven't gotten anything as bad as the neck impale yet). They don't even shock me so much as they annoy me, so mission failed there.

Megasabin posted:

Edit: I figured it out. Wow is that a dumb design decision. Put the letter of the key you want me to press. Don't have me memorize your stupid symbols.

Agree with this 100% I died under the rock 5 times before I opened up the menu to try to figure out what the gently caress. I kept trying to press the ! on the keyboard.

EDIT: VVV yeah, it looks better than the normal hair, but it isn't that great for the reasons you mention, and totally not worth it.

Karnegal fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Mar 5, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Karnegal posted:

Yes, it's a huge performance hog. Also, it looks like crap. The hair shadows become really pixelated and ugly, and the shadows clip through the shoulders. Also the collision is really terrible and the hair hovers over the shoulders when she moves her head. The performance penalty would be acceptable if the technology actually worked, but it doesn't. Definitely keep it off.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Is that strings of the original TR theme I'm hearing? :allears:

Doctor Doctor
May 25, 2009

I just noticed that Lara's clothes deteriorate with time and I keep expecting her to rip off what's left of her pant legs, and don her iconic shorts.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Finally in this game tesselation is used for the best purposes!

If tressfx hair's shadows annoy you, turn shadow resolution to lowest, then the hair casts just a big blob of shadows instead of thick individual strands :)

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Yesss, just got the line launcher. Almost ready to fight Killer Croc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

This game is a lot of fun but seems kinda short. A lot of it does feel like Uncharted injected into an Arkham Asylum-type overworld, which is a good thing.

• Locked thread