Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toy
Apr 19, 2001
The Keystone pipeline just made it through another hurdle: the draft environmental impact statement says it's A-OK.

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2013/03/01/1661221/state-department-report-keystone-xl-is-environmentally-sound/

This is hugely significant! Though the pipeline itself may not make a large difference one way or another on global warming, it has major symbolic importance: the US environmental movement has drawn a line in the sand on this issue. If (more likely when) we lose, it will force a re-formulation of strategy. If it radicalizes the movement it could be for the best.

toy fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Mar 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Davethulhu posted:

So I've been seeing this image bandied around:

Source

I'm not really knowledgeable enough to rebut, any insights from anyone else?

Why is this graph using the 1990's IPCC prediction rather than the more recent one? The 1990s one is known to be flawed because it used a much simpler model, didn't incorporate volcanic eruptions that ended up happening, and other factors. Googling to try and learn more about "hadcrut" and "UAH" satellites brings up pretty much nothing but climate denial blogs, but I finally came across this: http://www.cru.uea.ac.uk/cru/data/temperature/

Well based on that, I can see what they probably did was crop out all the data not in this little gray rectangle I've drawn:

(Notice they have the graph STARTING at 0.2 C above average historical temperature and the huge amount of historical data missing).

So I think what we have here is another blatant case of cherry picking data that is favorable to the ideology they're trying to push and comparing it to older, outdated science that, according to the huffington post, was actually pretty accurate, and then copy/pasting it over and over again to denial blogs so that it appears more legitimate than it is.

Uranium Phoenix fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 2, 2013

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Uranium Phoenix posted:

Why is this graph using the 1990's IPCC prediction rather than the more recent one? The 1990s one is known to be flawed because it used a much simpler model, didn't incorporate volcanic eruptions that ended up happening, and other factors.
Well it's not entirely unreasonable to compare the predictions of old projections against the actual results. But even so such a comparison doesn't necessarily say anything about the validity of more current models. So yeah the article does reek of cherrypicking, but it's not like they're not allowed to criticize incorrect projections either.

Your Sledgehammer
May 10, 2010

Don`t fall asleep, you gotta write for THUNDERDOME
At the risk of coming across like a Glenn Beck-style, "just asking questions" ignoramus, a few interesting questions to ponder: Is the goal of the environmentalist movement to save human civilization, or save the Earth/natural world? Are the two mutually exclusive?

Dusz
Mar 5, 2005

SORE IN THE ASS that it even exists!

Your Sledgehammer posted:

At the risk of coming across like a Glenn Beck-style, "just asking questions" ignoramus, a few interesting questions to ponder: Is the goal of the environmentalist movement to save human civilization, or save the Earth/natural world? Are the two mutually exclusive?

Is the goal of the environmenalist movement to destroy humanity so Bambi can roam the earth or not? Hey, just asking questions here, lend me your ears.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Human civilization can barely look at its current relationship with the natural world with clarity, so it'd be pretty optimistic to start worrying about the ultimate fate of Planet Earth. I'm not sure whether the goals of any environmental organization currently matter, but I'm sure most of them are satisfied with fighting immediate policy battles and spreading awareness.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
The planet's gonna be around for another 4 billion years, but whether it's habitable to most mammals or not is in doubt. Geologic processes will continue to change the atmosphere/landmass over time, as they have for the last 4.5 billion years. We just sure aren't helping extend our possible inhabitable time though.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Painting the entire environmental movement with one huge brushstroke is pretty stupid. I'm sure there are plenty of different reasons people are environmentalists. For me, it's about saving people's lives.

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack

"Environment"/"Civilisation" dualism is what's killing us and it will drive us extinct until we stop thinking we occupy a different realm than everything else on this planet. The "environment" doesn't need to be saved, it's been changed catastrophically countless times. We are the ones who need saving, and that means preserving ecosystemic conditions that are actually survivable in the long term. If we don't take an active hand in ensuring that we have a stable global ecosystem that can support billions of humans, we're not going to be here for very long.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

If you want graphs, you should look at this one too:

The extra heat just keeps on building up everywhere.

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack

Ihmemies posted:

At least it'll be kind of nice to go for a swim in Manhattan.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

Ihmemies posted:

Can I ask where you got this?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Ihmemies posted:

That graph is interesting but leaves out a lot of context. What is the total energy in joules of each of these areas in the first place? A change of 15*10^22 joules in total oceanic energy could be an extreme change or it could be a completely negligable change. I'm also interested in why the graph starts at 1960. Is this the first year data is available?

funkatron3000
Jun 17, 2005

Better Living Through Chemistry
2012 Rise In CO2 Levels Second-Highest In 54 Years

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/05/2012-rise-in-co2-levels_n_2812708.html

"Carbon dioxide levels jumped by 2.67 parts per million since 2011 to total just under 395 parts per million, says Pieter Tans, who leads the greenhouse gas measurement team for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration."

"Only 1998 had a bigger annual increase in carbon dioxide, the primary greenhouse gas from human activity. That year, 2.93 parts per million of CO2 was added. From 2000 to 2010, the world averaged a yearly rise of just under 2 parts per million. Levels rose by less than 1 part per million in the 1960s."

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

I've been seeing a lot in the news about this lately, mainly because I've been looking for news, and all it's doing is making me feel even worse about the future. This is literally keeping me up at night now.

I feel like I'm doing everything I can on a personal level. I'm eating much less meat (especially beef), I've joined 350.org's mailing list. I even went to that climate protest in DC by metro!

And what do I see? That CO2 has risen by another 2.5 ppm or so last year alone. The arctic will be open for shipping by midcentury, and the Keystone pipeline is going through.

:dawkins101:

I don't even know what to think. Every fiber in my being is telling me that things may in fact be fine. Technology is advancing ever faster now, but fast enough? In the right ways? Being deployed?

Everywhere I look, I see bad news, and every positive thing I think just gets shot down a few seconds later. And yet I know that worrying just makes things worse for me, but what else can I do?

Ihmemies posted:

Here's a pretty long-winded article about Cognitive and Behavioral Challenges in Responding to Climate Change which might explain some of the reactions people have when it comes to climate change:

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1407958

I just downloaded that paper, as it seems to deal a lot with how I'm feeling right now. I've skimmed it, but I'll try to read more of it soon. Might be worth it.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

toy posted:

The Keystone pipeline just made it through another hurdle: the draft environmental impact statement says it's A-OK.

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2013/03/01/1661221/state-department-report-keystone-xl-is-environmentally-sound/

This is hugely significant! Though the pipeline itself may not make a large difference one way or another on global warming, it has major symbolic importance: the US environmental movement has drawn a line in the sand on this issue. If (more likely when) we lose, it will force a re-formulation of strategy. If it radicalizes the movement it could be for the best.

I've been wondering if this was strictly a "we've chosen to die on this hill" moment. I mean, this isn't exactly a new thing, a large transcontinental pipeline through the middle of the country:

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Davethulhu posted:

So I've been seeing this image bandied around:

Source

I'm not really knowledgeable enough to rebut, any insights from anyone else?

That looks accurate at first blush. There is 0 doubt at this point that temperatures are running below the IPCC model mean. That has been the case for over a decade.

This is right from the horse's mouth (leaked working copy of AR5):

Red line is the AR4 projection (the mean of the various climate models); black line is observations. And that's only through 2011. Temperature in 2012 was roughly the same as 2011 so you can extend that divergence out another year.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Hey Arkane, I asked you some questions awhile back, and you never got around to answering them:

Uranium Phoenix posted:

Arkane posted:

...or that the underlying assumptions of strong positive feedback is wrong or exaggerated. I point this out at a lot but it's worth repeating: each new molecule of CO2 into the atmosphere has an ever diminishing effect on global climate. The CO2 in and of itself will not warm the planet to a dangerous point any time soon; positive feedbacks, however, could warm the planet to a dangerous degree if accurate.
I'm curious, at what timescale do you believe positive feedback cycles could warm the planet to a dangerous degree? 100 years? 200 years?

Arkane posted:

If the very recent trends (10 years of little warming, ~35 years of .17/decade C) relative to modeled predictions are indicative of future warmth, we are certainly severely exaggerating the risk. Hence the reason that I have scoffed at some of the apocalypse planning in this thread.
Even a modest .17/decade C rise in temperature brings us to 1.7 degrees per century. ~+2 degrees C by 2100 is still bad, and with the positive feedback cycles you mentioned, it could be even higher even based on your low (and linear) estimates. Eventually, I think you'll agree, carbon emissions need to be reigned in. Do you believe we need to cease burning coal? When? Revamp our world infrastructure? How and on what time scale? What alternate energy do you think is realistic--solar? Wind? Tidal? Nuclear?

The interesting thing to note is that even if you are absolutely correct that most models are overestimating the speed at which the global average temperature is warming and the trends we've seen in a few years continue (even though looking at a few years of data is utterly insufficient for analyzing climate), the globe is still warming because CO2 is still being added to the atmosphere. Keeping in mind these assumptions are a best case scenario for your denial that climate change is an imminent problem (and ignores plenty of evidence that contradicts that denial), let me restate my questions:

- At what timescale do you consider climate change a threat?
- Given the above, at what point do we need to reign in carbon emissions, and how do we go about doing that?

Edit: Also, please don't do that thing where you drastically crop a graph in order to make it look more favorable to your position (which incidentally removes an entire axis). Here's a fuller version of that graph, taken from a climate denialist site so you can be sure if it's fudging numbers it's doing so in a way favorable to you:

Boy, that looks suspiciously accurate.

Uranium Phoenix fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Mar 8, 2013

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Uranium Phoenix posted:

Edit: Also, please don't do that thing where you drastically crop a graph in order to make it look more favorable to your position (which incidentally removes an entire axis). Here's a fuller version of that graph, taken from a climate denialist site so you can be sure if it's fudging numbers it's doing so in a way favorable to you:

I would think the most relevant part of a projection would be the part where it predicts stuff that hasn't happened yet.

Then we compare that part to the stuff that happens. That's how I'd evaluate a projection, anyway.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Mar 8, 2013

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Arkane posted:

That looks accurate at first blush. There is 0 doubt at this point that temperatures are running below the IPCC model mean. That has been the case for over a decade.

This is right from the horse's mouth (leaked working copy of AR5):

Red line is the AR4 projection (the mean of the various climate models); black line is observations. And that's only through 2011. Temperature in 2012 was roughly the same as 2011 so you can extend that divergence out another year.

Xandu posted:

I swear to god I will ban anyone who tries to derail this thread by saying climate change doesn't exist.

You're not really trying, anyway. It took all of three seconds to find a recent article which pretty thoroughly rebuts the 'evidence' of your one heavily-cropped chart.

TACD fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Mar 8, 2013

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Uranium Phoenix posted:

Not sure you know what you are looking at there. Everything pre-2000 in that graph is a hindcast; everything post-2000 is a forecast with data unknown. The forecasting abilities of the models is what is at issue. So zooming out, in your case, has actually done a disservice. I didn't crop the image to "make it look more favorable to my position." I don't even really think there is a position to be had here; the numbers are the numbers. It was the most easily accessed version of the picture as it just appeared in an article I read.

That's also not a fuller version. That looks like a similar version, and it has a lot of the same data, but it's not the same graph. It stops at the year 2010, whereas the image that I posted, which is from an IPCC pdf of the working draft of the AR5 report that I also posted in this thread, took observations through to 2011.

Uranium Phoenix posted:

Hey Arkane, I asked you some questions awhile back, and you never got around to answering them:

I'm curious, at what timescale do you believe positive feedback cycles could warm the planet to a dangerous degree? 100 years? 200 years?

Even a modest .17/decade C rise in temperature brings us to 1.7 degrees per century. ~+2 degrees C by 2100 is still bad, and with the positive feedback cycles you mentioned, it could be even higher even based on your low (and linear) estimates. Eventually, I think you'll agree, carbon emissions need to be reigned in. Do you believe we need to cease burning coal? When? Revamp our world infrastructure? How and on what time scale? What alternate energy do you think is realistic--solar? Wind? Tidal? Nuclear?

The interesting thing to note is that even if you are absolutely correct that most models are overestimating the speed at which the global average temperature is warming and the trends we've seen in a few years continue (even though looking at a few years of data is utterly insufficient for analyzing climate), the globe is still warming because CO2 is still being added to the atmosphere. Keeping in mind these assumptions are a best case scenario for your denial that climate change is an imminent problem (and ignores plenty of evidence that contradicts that denial), let me restate my questions:

- At what timescale do you consider climate change a threat?
- Given the above, at what point do we need to reign in carbon emissions, and how do we go about doing that?

I had a few replies written in Firefox but lost them all when I had to reinstall the software. I don't think we have evidence of whether there will be positive or negative feedback cycles. It could be that an increase in atmospheric carbon dioxide alters cloud cover in such a way that it dampens the warming effect. I think that is a perfectly reasonable possibility. It may be wrong, but it's a reasonable possibility. Incidentally, I think strong positive feedbacks are also a reasonable possibility, with the problem being that we have yet to see evidence for it.

From a perspective of more efficient and cheaper energy, I think burning less coal and building more nuclear plants would be a huge net positive. It's just a "like duh, obviously" sort of conclusion and the only reason there is resistance is because of political will. I don't think not doing so will lead to ruin, though. I think wind, tidal, and solar are all promising technologies but are nowhere near cost effective yet and (for the most part) rely upon government subsidies to even be deployed in the first place. I do think technology will catch up relatively soon, especially on solar. The amount of energy that hits this planet daily is just massive.

As to your sentence that I am in "denial that climate change is an imminent problem (and ignores plenty of evidence that contradicts that denial)," what is the evidence for the imminent problem? I know of one, the potential for bleaching in coral reefs due to increased carbonic acid, but beyond that I am unaware of these imminent problems you are referring to. We have satellites measuring quite a lot of things right now. Temperature, sea temperature, sea level rise, hurricane activity are all measured by satellites now. In none of these four observational sets do we see imminent problems. If we look at how weather-related disasters are effecting the world, we don't see dire trends there either:

So please source the evidence that climate change is an "imminent problem"? To who and when? Dovetailing into that, I think the answer on the timescale question is that I don't know. I don't think we have a firm grasp on projecting future changes yet.

Finally, I think your last query has a glaring problem: there is no meaningful "we." China and India have made it crystal clear that they do not plan on decreasing their emissions any time soon, and China is far and away the leader in emissions at this point (closing in on DOUBLE the United States) with India in 3rd and climbing. I think Brazil is in the same boat. These developing countries with massive populations are not going to work against the economic interest of their people at any point within the next decade+. That's not to say that they aren't trying to develop cheaper and cleaner energy, that is documented and kudos to them if they do, but I think the offer that was being bandied about from China/India was that they could freely increase emissions until 2025. By that point, those two nations could be emitting more than the entirety of US/Europe combined right now. So I think the political reality of emissions is that we are going to live in a world of increasing emissions for the foreseeable future and if we are really going to face extreme adverse effects because of it (the veracity of which I doubt), we should prepare for adaptation.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Arkane posted:

As to your sentence that I am in "denial that climate change is an imminent problem (and ignores plenty of evidence that contradicts that denial)," what is the evidence for the imminent problem? I know of one, the potential for bleaching in coral reefs due to increased carbonic acid, but beyond that I am unaware of these imminent problems you are referring to.
Not only is there a speedily-growing list of problems occurring around the world right now as a result of climate change, but they are numerous enough that I can practically click links at random to bring up articles about current or recent problems.

July, 2012:

quote:

Rising Food Prices
Over half of the Continental U.S. is now facing severe drought–the worst in fifty years. As a result of extreme temperatures and little rain, corn production suffers although analysts predicted record production at the start of the year. In coming months, record-high food prices will continue to rise, affecting thousands of supermarket products. See also “Story of the Year: Warming-Driven Drought and Extreme Weather Emerge as Key Threat to Global Food Security.”

Goodbye Glaciers, Sea Ice
This week, an iceberg twice the size of Manhattan tore itself off of one of the largest glaciers in North Greenland, following another break of comparable size in 2010. Scientists say that such dramatic change is unprecedented, and report that “the Arctic had the largest sea ice loss on record for June.” [ClimateProgress]

Landslides
A recent landslide on an Alaskan glacier was massive enough to register as a 3.4-magnitude earthquake, even recorded in Canada. “We are seeing an increase in rock slides in mountain areas throughout the world because of permafrost degradation,” a scientist said. [Huffington Post]

Massive Dust Storms
In addition to dangerous wildfires and drought, the current heat wave is helping to create massive dust storms in Arizona. These walls of dust and strong wind can be thousands of feet high, destroying property, setting of a chain of further environmental damage and killing an average of five people per year. [New York Times]
Toxic Algae Pollute Drinking Supply, Lakes: Spurred by warmer winters that prevent seasonal a die-off, Lake Zurich in Switzerland is seeing an increase in a toxic species of algae known as Burgandy blood algae. “Research on Lake Zurich in Switzerland reveals that Burgundy blood algae, a toxic cyanobacteria species, has become more dense in the last 40 years as warm winters prevent seasonal die-off.” [CBS News]

$1.5 Billion Hail Damage: In a striking example of current dramatically unpredictable weather patterns, some cities now experiencing record-breaking temperature highs are also dealing with the after-effects of extreme hail damage. Estimates suggest that total damage in places like Dallas, St. Louis and Norfolk, Nebraska could exceed $1.5 billion. [Inside Climate News]

Wildfire Causes $450 Million Damage In Colorado
States like Colorado and New Mexico have experienced their worst wildfire season on record, and the damage totaled an estimated $450 million in Colorado alone. However, there are additional costs of the fire. “Water quality, for example, is being compromised up to 100 miles from burn sites,” and air quality has been damaged, even indoors. [Washington Post]

Greater Terrors For Mountain Climbers: “Sharper seasonal variations of ice and snow and temperature are being repeated all across the world from the Himalayas to the Andes, which scientists say are driven by a higher level of energy in the atmosphere from global warming.” Veteran climbers “say today’s conditions are combining to create a volatile highball of risk.” [NY Times]

More Drilling In The Arctic, Taxpayers Pay For Risks: Ironically, oil companies are capitalizing on ice melt in the Arctic caused by global warming. “Royal Dutch Shell has spent $4.5 billion since 2005 preparing to explore for oil off Alaska’s north coast in the Arctic. U.S. taxpayers may end up paying almost as much to supervise future operations in the region.” [Bloomberg]

Blackouts
Extreme temperatures stress the power grid, and Con Edison recently took action to lower power voltage, known as a “brown out” in NYC, to prevent mass black outs. Of course, millions suffered from blackouts during brutal heat after a rare, heat-fueled derecho impacted the Washington area. [Reuters]
Source

January, 2013:

quote:

IN OODNADATTA, an outback town in South Australia, the roads melted. Sydney, Australia’s biggest city, sweltered through heat of 42.3°C (108.1°F). In Tasmania, a Dunkirk-style flotilla of small craft swung into operation to rescue locals and tourists stranded by fires on the isolated Tasman peninsula. Australia’s summer-holiday season has barely begun. Yet a heatwave has swept across the country, smashing temperature records and raising questions both about the impact on annual weather patterns of global warming, and about Australia’s vulnerability to the changes.

The authorities are preparing for such recordings as the new normal. On January 8th the Bureau of Meteorology added new colours, purple and pink, to its weather map to denote temperatures once considered off the scale: 50-52°C and 52-54°C respectively.
Source

January, 2013:

quote:

Great Lakes Michigan and Huron set a new record low water level for the month of December...

...The impact climate change has on the five lakes (Superior, Michigan, Huron, Erie, and Ontario) will have serious implications for aquatic life, as well as high economic costs for communities.
  • The Great Lakes stretch from Minnesota to New York. They account for over 80 percent of North America’s surface freshwater, and provide drinking water to 40 million U.S. and Canadian citizens.
  • Many industries in the region that depend on trade through the lakes will face navigation challenges, and will have to reduce the amount of cargo carried.
  • Tourism and recreational activities that are vital to coastal communities will surely feel the negative economic effects. Activity associated with recreational fishing alone is estimated to be at least $7 billion annually.
  • Infrastructure investments will need to occur, as the necessity for extending docks and dredging increases.
  • And the habitats of fish, birds, and other mammals will be altered.
Source

February, 2013:

quote:

PORT CLINTON — Climate change threatens polar bears and is rapidly melting Arctic ice, but the effect it is already having on people’s health is what might cause them to take action, a federal official said Tuesday.

Global warming has caused more severe heat waves, increased pollen counts and lengthened allergy seasons, said George Luber, associate director for climate change at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, during a webinar presented by the The Ohio State University Climate Change Outreach Team on Tuesday.

And the effects will only get worse in the future, as temperatures in the Midwest alone could increase 5.6 to 8.5 degrees by the end of this century, he said.
Source

February, 2013:

quote:

Time is running out to avert a third summer of drought in much of the High Plains, West and Southwest, federal officials warned Thursday.

Without repeated, significant bouts of heavy snow and rain in the remaining days of winter, a large part of the country will face serious water supply shortages this spring and summer, when temperatures are hotter and average precipitation is normally low.

The drought already ranks as the worst, in terms of severity and geographic extent, since the 1950s. Though it’s not over yet, its economic impact appears to be severe, said Brad Rippey, a meteorologist at the Agriculture Department’s Office of the Chief Economist.

It “will probably end up being a top-five disaster event” on the government’s ranking of the costliest weather events of the past three decades, he said at a Capitol Hill briefing Thursday.

With drought extending into its second or even third year in some areas, the main concerns are shifting from agriculture and recreation to water supplies as rivers run dry and reservoirs shrink.

Speaking at the annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science in Boston on Feb. 15, Texas state climatologist John Nielsen-Gammon said water managers are especially concerned about the situation in West Texas, where emergency conservation plans have gone into effect as water supplies dwindle.

The continuing drought has already taken a toll on the nation’s farmers, said the USDA’s Rippey.

Drought during last year’s growing season took “major hits on row crops,” especially corn and sorghum, he said. Parched conditions reduced the nation’s production potential for those two crops by about one-quarter. Drought cut corn yields by 4 billion bushels and sorghum yields by 100 million bushels.

According to Climate Central research released on Feb. 18, the states of Missouri, Illinois and Indiana were among the hardest hit "Corn Belt" states, with yields at nearly 30-year lows.

The U.S. soybean crop rebounded slightly during a cooler, wetter August last year, though the overall yield still dropped by 200 million bushels, USDA found.

But heading into spring, it’s winter wheat that is the most immediate concern, Rippey said. In Oklahoma and South Dakota, roughly two-thirds of the current winter wheat crop is rated “poor” or “very poor,” while more than half of Texas’ crop falls into the same categories despite some rainfall this winter.

“We are at high risk for abandonment this year,” Rippey said, predicting that farmers could walk away from 25 percent or more of the nation’s winter wheat this year, the worst since 2002, unless their crops begin receiving steady, regular rains.
Source

March, 2013:

quote:

The bad news was released in a U.S. Department of Agriculture report last month: "Climate change poses unprecedented challenges to U.S. agriculture." The report concluded that while in the short-term farmers should be able to adapt their operations to a changing climate, by mid-century crop yields are projected to decline because of rising temperatures and extremes between rain and drought.

In the North Carolina mountains, farmers are putting apples trees on north-facing slopes to delay flowering and make the plants less vulnerable to late spring frosts.

"You're taking a lot more risk," said Heise, who bought Wiseacre Farm in 1987. Last year she planted tomatoes in March; previously, she had not put them in the ground until April 10. Even though the last frost happened on April 12, her tomatoes survived.

Storms are intensifying. Last year, North Carolina recorded the second-highest number of severe weather reports—1,100—in the nation. In 2011, the state ranked first, with 1,700 reports.

Summer temperatures are rising. January through July 2012 was the hottest period in North Carolina in 118 years, with temperatures nearly 3 degrees above average. Last year Raleigh-Durham International Airport scored an all-time record high of 105 degrees three times—on June 29 and 30 and July 8.

Hot days are hard on crops and livestock, but hot nights do the most damage. One farmer noted at the conference that for the past three years, her tomatoes dropped their blooms in July but didn't bear fruit. That's because when temperatures fail to dip below 74 degrees at night, the heat sterilizes the pollen.

Last summer the nighttime temperatures stayed above that magic 74-degree mark 16 times, including on Sept. 5, when the thermometer bottomed out at 75 degrees, breaking the record for high minimum temperature set in 1983, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

"Extreme weather is the new normal," Boyles said. "North Carolina is sensitive to weather. And North Carolina will get it all."
Source

March, 2013:

quote:

Regular droughts in winter, spring and early summer started in 2009 and have continued to affect rural and mountainous areas of Southwest China this year, reshaping the lifestyles of people and causing a major shift in the agricultural industry.

The lingering drought has hit 15 cities and autonomous prefectures in Yunnan, affecting 5.58 million people, according to the latest provincial civil affairs department statistics, and of those, 1.2 million face drinking water shortages.

This year's drought has also caused the loss of more than 557,000 hectares of crops, with 70,000 hectares of land facing complete crop failures — an estimated economic loss of up to 2.77 billion yuan ($445.4 million), authorities said.

In the Chuxiong Yi autonomous prefecture, where the drinking water of more than 152,000 people is now under threat, authorities said they have devoted more than 220,000 people and 31 million yuan to drought-relief, building 530 wells and 187 pump stations.

Experts say that climate change is a factor, as the province received less than normal rainfall during last year's rainy season and recorded higher temperatures in January and February.

"The amount of rainfall last year is directly related to the drought situation this year and has a lot to do with the amount of water preserved in reservoirs and storage ponds," Bi said.

According to Yunnan's meteorological bureau, the average temperature in 104 counties and prefectures is now 2 C higher than in the past.
Source

These are news reports. They aren't projections of horrific conditions in 2050 and beyond or comparisons of present and historic levels of CO2 (although there are plenty of those available as well). These are real things happening right now, and moreover these are things I plucked from a very hasty Google search. It is far from comprehensive, is heavily US-centric, and omits many other very serious effects that are also happening right now. All of which is to say the evidence against you is simply staggering and I do not believe for a second that you are approaching this with any intellectual honesty. In summary, gently caress off.

TACD fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 8, 2013

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I'd say the issue with developing countries not reducing emissions ties right back into our unwillingness to really invest in alternative energies and nuclear power. It's a pretty straightforward tragedy of the commons scenario and someone has to step up and develop the technologies or expand their use and encourage others to do the same. No reason it shouldn't be us.

When 2% of the planets surface area contributes 25% of the world gdp I don't think you are allowed to use this metric to determine the severity of the problem.

gently caress poor countries, the oceans, the rainforests, etc. am I right?

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Arkane posted:

Not sure you know what you are looking at there. Everything pre-2000 in that graph is a hindcast; everything post-2000 is a forecast with data unknown.
Hindcasting is a way of validating a model. The fact that it can accurately reconstruct past data lends credence to its ability to predict future trends. So yes, I understand it's hindcast. The other reason I posted the full graph is I don't like when people crop data, because there's usually a reason they're doing it, such as making it look like temperature has leveled off and will continue to, or that temperature hasn't risen all that much (and there have been plenty of examples of people asking questions about those kind of dirty tricks in this very thread). Sorry for accusing you of being the one who did it when I guess you weren't, but when you don't provide links to your sources and the graphs are lovely, compressed, showing minimal data, and don't have an axis labeled, I'm going to make the assumption that someone is manipulating them.

Arkane posted:

The forecasting abilities of the models is what is at issue.
Okay: It's not an issue. Also please note the denialist predictions and how they compare to observed data.

Arkane posted:

...I don't think we have evidence of whether there will be positive or negative feedback cycles. It could be that an increase in atmospheric carbon dioxide alters cloud cover in such a way that it dampens the warming effect. I think that is a perfectly reasonable possibility. It may be wrong, but it's a reasonable possibility. Incidentally, I think strong positive feedbacks are also a reasonable possibility, with the problem being that we have yet to see evidence for it.
Climate science is complex, and feedback cycles are complex. That said, saying "I don't think we have evidence [either way]" is bullshit. There's been plenty of research on climate sensitivity, and evidence suggests clouds and water vapor will positive feedback, a paper claiming negative feedback was proven to be bunk. If you're going to claim that negative feedback cycles will stop climate change, you need to provide a source. That it can be fathomed does not mean it's reasonable to claim. We already see plenty of evidence of positive feedback cycles, some of which are occurring faster than previously predicted, such as arctic ice melting.

Arkane posted:

So please source the evidence that climate change is an "imminent problem"? To who and when? Dovetailing into that, I think the answer on the timescale question is that I don't know. I don't think we have a firm grasp on projecting future changes yet.
TACD already provided a bunch of relevant examples for the imminent problems of climate change, but I wanted to address that graph and then add some points. The blog you took that from cites this paper which says in the abstract, quote "Climate change is likely to lead to an increase in the frequency and/or intensity of certain types of natural hazards, if not globally, then at least in certain regions." In the conclusion, it notes that while they found no upward trend in losses from weather related disasters. This shouldn't be particularly surprising because climate change is only just beginning to have an effect on weather. They also note that their analysis doesn't have predictive power, and weather related disasters are on the rise. This quote from the conclusion is pertinent: "Available evidence suggests that climatic change has only just begun and that it will take many years and decades still before its consequences will be truly felt (IPCC, 2007a,b). If so, the past will be a poor guide to the future." They go on to say complacency is not recommended, and policy makers should strongly consider working on mitigation measures for future disasters.

As for being an imminent threat, the worst will be coming in the next few decades. That's the timescale I'm talking about. However, as TACD showed, it's already starting to affect people. One of the biggest concerns is agriculture. Our staple crops depend on a certain climate, and heat stress and drought are a huge threat to them, and though that, to the food security of millions of people.

Arkane posted:

Finally, I think your last query has a glaring problem: there is no meaningful "we." China and India have made it crystal clear that they do not plan on decreasing their emissions any time soon, and China is far and away the leader in emissions at this point (closing in on DOUBLE the United States) with India in 3rd and climbing. I think Brazil is in the same boat. These developing countries with massive populations are not going to work against the economic interest of their people at any point within the next decade+. That's not to say that they aren't trying to develop cheaper and cleaner energy, that is documented and kudos to them if they do, but I think the offer that was being bandied about from China/India was that they could freely increase emissions until 2025. By that point, those two nations could be emitting more than the entirety of US/Europe combined right now. So I think the political reality of emissions is that we are going to live in a world of increasing emissions for the foreseeable future and if we are really going to face extreme adverse effects because of it (the veracity of which I doubt), we should prepare for adaptation.
Right, global climate change is a global problem. It should be addressed globally. All countries need to work towards moving away from fossil fuels. As the highest per-capita emitter with incredibly high historical emissions, and a global economic and manufacturing superpower with powerful world influence, the United States should be leading the charge with research into renewables, nuclear, efficiency, revamped infrastructure, and other related technologies. Progress made here and in other developed nations can be exported to prevent undeveloped countries from needing fossil fuels to power their development. That's why I'll mostly talk about climate change from the US perspective, but obviously that's not the end of it.

If we're talking about economic interests clashing with stopping climate change, that's more an argument for changing our global economic system to one that serves all the people (rather than a tiny fraction of them) than an argument against doing anything to stop climate change.

The meaningful "we" is "humans."

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski

Uranium Phoenix posted:

As for being an imminent threat, the worst will be coming in the next few decades. That's the timescale I'm talking about.

I agree with most of your argument but it's not so much that the worst will be in the next decades as much as we're looking at least centuries of warming climate due to our emissions. Things will continue to deteriorate but it will never stop the denialists. If people can somehow convince them that global warming isn't happening due to our emissions in the face of a continuing streak of the warmest years ever alongside things like melting glaciers, ice sheet loss, impending ice free summers in the arctic, increased extreme weather event intensity, etc I'm not sure anything will stop them.

The same conversations were happening 20 years ago and while the body of evidence continues to grow the denialists just get louder. As long as there are big corporations willing to pay people to say the right things there will be "experts" denying global warming and plenty of fools like Arkane to eat it up.

I mean, he's been rebutted at length about this subject at least 10 times since I've been posting on these forums and at least 2-3 times in this thread alone. To the point where he has probations for simply posting about climate change. I'm just not sure data or logical argument are going to stop these people.

a lovely poster fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 10, 2013

forgot my pants
Feb 28, 2005

a lovely poster posted:

The same conversations were happening 20 years ago and while the body of evidence continues to grow the denialists just get louder.

I disagree with this. If you look at the debate it's clear that opinion is shifting. A few years ago the climate change deniers were saying that global warming didn't exist. Today they tend to agree that the world is warming, but they'll claim humans aren't the cause of it, or that it won't be that bad, or that it's not worth trying to stop. This is evidence that the position of the denialist community is shifting. The media coverage is changing, too. No longer are denialist opinions given equal weight in articles on climate change.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
Something else to consider about that graph re: disasters vs worldwide GDP - it would have been more interesting if the article took into consideration that disaster relief (from first responders, to acute care, to cleanup and reconstruction) increases a nation's GDP by a small percentage (of which is unknown to me at right now). Perhaps the trend still exists as suggested by the graph; needless to say, it's a shame it wasn't addressed in the original article.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Guigui posted:

Something else to consider about that graph re: disasters vs worldwide GDP - it would have been more interesting if the article took into consideration that disaster relief (from first responders, to acute care, to cleanup and reconstruction) increases a nation's GDP by a small percentage (of which is unknown to me at right now). Perhaps the trend still exists as suggested by the graph; needless to say, it's a shame it wasn't addressed in the original article.

How much of an impact to world GDP did the Hatian cholera outbreak have?

GDP is the absolute least relevant thing I would have imagined ever seeing in this thread and the fact that he used it in response to being specifically asked not to use deceptively edited graphs should get him no other response than contempt and scorn. It's not a coincidence that the biggest spike on that graph correlates to the costliest natural disaster in the history of the US. Because what really matters is the money.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Mar 11, 2013

The Ender
Aug 2, 2012

MY OPINIONS ARE NOT WORTH THEIR WEIGHT IN SHIT

quote:

So I think the political reality of emissions is that we are going to live in a world of increasing emissions for the foreseeable future and if we are really going to face extreme adverse effects because of it (the veracity of which I doubt), we should prepare for adaptation.

...I'm not sure what you mean by 'adaptation'? Have you been sold a plot of land on Mars that you believe you can work into a productive homestead?

I mean, it's great that you doubt warming / environmental damage is occurring. Some people doubt that the Egyptians were able to build the pyramids without extraterrestrial help. These sort of doubts always spice-up a conversation.

There is no 'adaptation' to the now predicted 4 degree warming if we don't peak emissions in about 5~ years. Contemporary civilization will be ruined; unless you are super rich and/or are isolated in a self-sustaining area, your children will have no future in that world worth discussing, and it's not like things will improve after any semblance of social safety nets are carved-up as part of a likely attempt at triage.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Well gee, this is sad...

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2013/03/17/1731591/the-dangerous-myth-that-climate-change-is-reversible/

quote:

..The fact is that, as RealClimate has explained, we would need “an immediate cut of around 60 to 70% globally and continued further cuts over time” merely to stabilize atmospheric concentrations of CO2 – and that would still leave us with a radiative imbalance that would lead to “an additional 0.3 to 0.8ºC warming over the 21st Century.” And that assumes no major carbon cycle feedbacks kick in, which seems highly unlikely.

We’d have to drop total global emissions to zero now and for the rest of the century just to lower concentrations enough to stop temperatures from rising. Again, even in this implausible scenario, we still aren’t talking about reversing climate change, just stopping it — or, more technically, stopping the temperature rise. The great ice sheets might well continue to disintegrate, albeit slowly...

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
I don't see how comparing damages to GDP makes any sense. Here's the graph just adjusted for inflation:

From an economical standpoint, clearly, natural losses are costing us more and more. At some point the cost of fixing the problem vs. the cost of losses will make more and more economic sense. Hopefully it's not too late by then.

Your Sledgehammer
May 10, 2010

Don`t fall asleep, you gotta write for THUNDERDOME

I think what people in this thread really need to understand is that the time for any sort of meaningful reduction in emissions is long past. I see people come into this thread all the time posting something along the lines of "if we could just...(insert improbable environmental goal here)." It's honestly time to turn away from that stuff and focus on mitigation and coping strategies instead. It would also be good to analyze why all this has happened so that our species can avoid making this same mistake again. As much as I admire Bill McKibben and 350.org, I think it is hopelessly naive to think that we will ever see our atmosphere below 350 ppm CO2 in our lifetimes or perhaps even for the next few centuries.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

That doesn't seem to be a very good fit for the data.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I think what people in this thread really need to understand is that the time for any sort of meaningful reduction in emissions is long past. I see people come into this thread all the time posting something along the lines of "if we could just...(insert improbable environmental goal here)." It's honestly time to turn away from that stuff and focus on mitigation and coping strategies instead. It would also be good to analyze why all this has happened so that our species can avoid making this same mistake again. As much as I admire Bill McKibben and 350.org, I think it is hopelessly naive to think that we will ever see our atmosphere below 350 ppm CO2 in our lifetimes or perhaps even for the next few centuries.
I think a lot of people realise that the time for meaningful reduction is long past, but also that the scope for meaningful adaptation given the path we're on is incredibly slim. Many very critical aspects of modern society (such as food and fuel supply) are very brittle and will simply fail to cope with the sorts of rapid changes that are already happening. Not that it matters since governments are reacting at least an order of magnitude too slowly to the climate crisis for any centrally-organised adaptation efforts (which haven't exactly started yet) to be meaningful.

'Adaptation' essentially means pack your things and find a self-sufficient community to call home, and hope that the rest of the world leaves you alone as poo poo falls apart. Governments are not going to be able to protect any of us from this, and people need to come to terms with what that really means. (Including me :()

Also, as to the part in bold - I think it's unlikely that our species will ever have the industrial capacity to be able to make the same mistake again, and even if it does it won't be on a timescale that we can communicate across. The only things I can think of that are attempting to send a message that far into the future are the Long Now Foundation (I find the idea of the 10,000 year clock quite inspiring) and the KEO satellite, which is faintly ridiculous partly because it will apparently contain 'symbolic instructions on how to construct a DVD player' and partly because it's been delayed so long that if it ever launches DVDs will already be an obsolete format :v:

TACD fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 18, 2013

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
For me I accept that we're pretty much past the point of mitigation, but that doesn't mean we should stop moving towards mitigating and reducing carbon emissions, it means we have to do that and start seriously talking about geo-engineering solutions to slow or halt warming so that the positive feedback loops don't take that particular decision out of our hands.

This is a complex problem and it requires both mitigation and reduction. And unfortunately the lead needs to come from the nations who have historically contributed the most emissions up to this point, and then provide a way for other industrializing countries to industrialize without contributing to the problem to the same degree.

Beyond that, we need to consider how to contain the problem after we deal with the immediate challenge. The big one on everyone's mind is developing clean energy sources, and what form those will take. I think the most reasonable, practical solution is nuclear to provide a baseload and then other renewables to meet spikes in demand. And of course there's implementing these ideas. How will that take shape? These things are important to conceptualize if only to realize that it is within our ability right now to deal with this problem. Will we figure out how to achieve zero-growth? Will capitalism survive that? Will we be able garner broad public support for energy reform and geoengineering projects that have united international support? Will democracy and the (relatively stable) international community survive that? Those are the scary questions but we have to at least understand the consequences to these things.

It's not the end of the world. We can give ourselves an extension. But that extension carries serious risks.

Here's a very speculative article by Gwynne Dyer on possible changes in Chinese environmental policy. Dyer is kind of working off what the Chinese government might, maybe, possibly announce but it's a glimmer of hope nonetheless if it's true:

http://www.straight.com/news/358181/gwynne-dyer-why-chinese-government-wants-carbon-tax

quote:

Gwynne Dyer: Why the Chinese government wants a carbon tax

Last week’s announcement by China’s Ministry of Finance that the country will introduce a carbon tax, probably in the next two years, did not dominate the international headlines. It was too vague about the timetable and the rate at which the tax would be levied, and fossil-fuel lobbyists were quick to portray it as meaningless. But the Chinese are deadly serious about fighting global warming, because they are really scared.

A carbon tax, though deeply unpopular with the fossil-fuel industries, is the easiest way to change the behaviour of the people and firms that burn those fuels: it just makes burning them more costly. And if the tax is then returned to the consumers of energy through lower taxes, then it has no overall depressive effect on the economy.

The Xinhua news agency did not say how big the tax in China would be, but it pointed to a three-year-old proposal by government experts that would have levied a 10-yuan ($1.60) per ton tax on carbon in 2012 and raised it to 50-yuan ($8) a ton by 2020. That is still far below the $80-per-ton tax that would really shrink China’s greenhouse-gas emissions drastically, but at least it would establish the principle that the polluters must pay.

It’s a principle that has little appeal to U.S. president Barack Obama, who has explicitly promised not to propose a carbon tax. He probably knows that it makes sense, but he has no intention of committing political suicide, the likely result of making such a proposal in the United States. But China is not suffering from political gridlock; if the regime wants something to happen, it can usually make it happen.

So why is China getting out in front of the parade with its planned carbon tax? No doubt it gives China some leverage in international climate-change negotiations, letting it demand that other countries make the same commitment. But why does it care so much that those negotiations succeed? Does it know something that the rest of us don’t?

Three or four years ago, while interviewing the head of a think tank in a major country, I was told something that has shaped my interpretation of Chinese policy ever since. If it is true, it explains why the Chinese regime is so frightened of climate change.

My informant told me that his organization had been given a contract by the World Bank to figure out how much food production his country will lose when the average global temperature has risen by 2 ° C. (On current trends, that will probably happen around 25 years from now.) Similar contracts had been given to think tanks in all the other major countries, he said, but the results have never been published.

The main impact of climate change on human welfare in the short- and medium-term will be on the food supply. The rule of thumb the experts use is that total world food production will drop by 10 percent for every degree Celsius of warming, but the percentage losses will vary widely from one country to another.

The director told me the amount of food his own country would lose, which was bad enough—and then mentioned that China, according to the report on that country, would lose a terrifying 38 percent of its food production at plus 2 ° C. The reports were not circulated, but a summary had apparently been posted on the Chinese think tank’s website for a few hours by a rogue researcher before being taken down.

The World Bank has never published these reports or even admitted to their existence, but it is all too plausible that the governments in question insisted that they be kept confidential. They would not have wanted these numbers to be made public. And there are good reasons to suspect that this story is true.

Who would have commissioned these contracts? The likeliest answer is Sir Robert Watson, a British scientist who was the director of the environment department at the World Bank at the same time that he was the chair of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.

George Bush’s administration had Watson ousted as chair of the IPCC in 2002, but he stayed at the World Bank, where he is now chief scientist and senior adviser on sustainable development. (He has also been chief scientific adviser to the British government’s Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs for the past six years.)

He would have had both the motive and the opportunity to put those contracts out, but he would not have had the clout to get the reports published. When I asked him about it a few years ago, he neither confirmed nor denied their existence. But if the report on China actually said that the country will lose 38 percent of its food production when the average global temperature is 2 ° C higher, it would explain why the regime is so scared.

No country that lost almost two-fifths of its food production could avoid huge social and political upheavals. No regime that was held responsible for such a catastrophe would survive. If the Chinese regime thinks that is what awaits it down the road, no wonder it is thinking of bringing in a carbon tax.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 18, 2013

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

TACD posted:

...'Adaptation' essentially means pack your things and find a self-sufficient community to call home, and hope that the rest of the world leaves you alone as poo poo falls apart. Governments are not going to be able to protect any of us from this, and people need to come to terms with what that really means. (Including me :()...

Giving up is not an acceptable option. As far as I'm concerned, the myriad challenges of the 21st century are quite scary, and the stakes are high.

But consider the rewards should we succeed! Clean energy can solve many problems should we give it the chance. A changing environment will test our current society, proving once and for all whether or not the things that society has struggled for so long to achieve - democracy, and the free market, are worthy of survival. The solutions required to face these challenges will be hard, but should we succeed... Well, I may be wrong but I don't see any bigger threats to our existence barring an asteroid impact or alien invasion, do you? These rewards are just too great to ignore, and there's no reason to stop trying just because we may fail.

Dusz
Mar 5, 2005

SORE IN THE ASS that it even exists!

Just a reminder so people will not forget - 'coping strategies' for Your Sledgehammer means waiting around for 99% of humanity to die so the remainder can frolic in the woods.

quote:

'Adaptation' essentially means pack your things and find a self-sufficient community to call home, and hope that the rest of the world leaves you alone as poo poo falls apart.

Well gee whiz, when did they define adaptation as 'hole up in a fantasy world and wait for death/delirium'.

quote:

Giving up is not an acceptable option. As far as I'm concerned, the myriad challenges of the 21st century are quite scary, and the stakes are high.

But consider the rewards should we succeed! Clean energy can solve many problems should we give it the chance. A changing environment will test our current society, proving once and for all whether or not the things that society has struggled for so long to achieve - democracy, and the free market, are worthy of survival. The solutions required to face these challenges will be hard, but should we succeed... Well, I may be wrong but I don't see any bigger threats to our existence barring an asteroid impact or alien invasion, do you? These rewards are just too great to ignore, and there's no reason to stop trying just because we may fail.

If you know your liberals, 'giving up and moaning' is the only acceptable option when you're not winning by faffing about (also known as 'non-violent activism'). Then again, you seem to think that the free market is the pinnacle of human progress so far, which coupled with all the rest of this nonsense is making me feel a bit awkward, even for a D&D thread.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Dusz posted:

Just a reminder so people will not forget - 'coping strategies' for Your Sledgehammer means waiting around for 99% of humanity to die so the remainder can frolic in the woods.

Well gee whiz, when did they define adaptation as 'hole up in a fantasy world and wait for death/delirium'.

If you know your liberals, 'giving up and moaning' is the only acceptable option when you're not winning by faffing about (also known as 'non-violent activism'). Then again, you seem to think that the free market is the pinnacle of human progress so far, which coupled with all the rest of this nonsense is making me feel a bit awkward, even for a D&D thread.

Ehh... I happen to like it. If treated improperly, it can cause a lot of problems, true. But I feel that there's nothing wrong with the actual concept of the free market. I consider myself a liberal, and I like the ideas that the market can represent - Innovation, competition, and freedom of choice.

Inglonias fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 19, 2013

Balnakio
Jun 27, 2008

Inglonias posted:

Ehh... I happen to like it. If treated improperly, it can cause a lot of problems, true. But I feel that there's nothing wrong with the actual concept of the free market. I consider myself a liberal, and I like the ideas that the market can represent - Innovation, competition, and freedom of choice.

The free-market is directly responsible for climate change and humanities inability to do anything about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Balnakio posted:

The free-market is directly responsible for climate change and humanities inability to do anything about it.

No, burning coal and other fossil fuels is directly responsible for climate change. I highly doubt that if the coal miners seize the coal mine in the socialist revolution that they would stop mining coal. Instead they would demand that we open more coal power plants.

• Locked thread