Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Nice backwards mounted Star Specs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
They were getting pretty gnawed up, figured it was worth a shot. I think the track surface was about 150F and I aligned the car the night before with a tape measure and a beer or 7.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's all good, unless if it's raining.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

ColdPie posted:

Are you interested in wheel-to-wheel racing and wrenching? You could check out ChumpCar. About a year ago I was in the same spot as you, looking for a cheap, fun car to wrench on and take to track days. I eventually gave up because everything in my price range was salvage titled or otherwise falling apart. ChumpCar's price limit is $500, not including safety equipment, so you basically want your car to be falling apart! Having 4-6 people really helps keep costs down, too. Each event is a 7-24 hour endurance race, and it's popular nation-wide. Perfect!

I'm going to be volunteering to work corner stations this summer, and trying to get a team together this fall/winter to participate next year.

Anyway, something to think about.

I think he's raced with all of Team Dai Hard's 3 LeMons races, and one or two of our Chumpcar races :)

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

DJ Commie posted:

I think he's raced with all of Team Dai Hard's 3 LeMons races, and one or two of our Chumpcar races :)
yes :haw:

To expand, ChumpCar and LeMons are a much larger commitment to make regularly than farting around at a track day once a month or every other month. I'm really just having my annual i-really-want-a-car-for-no-good-reason crisis (I live and work in an urban area, but do in fact have a parking space which just holds two motorcycles right now).

Hog Obituary fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 16, 2013

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

User Error posted:

Chumpcar uses the fair market value of the car, not what you paid for it. They have a pre-approved list of cars. For anything that isn't on the list you just have to find 10 Craigslist ads for similar cars with an average price of $500 or less. They do allow you to replace anything with OEM equivalent new stuff. Brakes you can spend up to 2X the OEM price, but I've never heard of anyone getting busted for expensive brakes. I guess they might ding you if you show up with 6 pot Brembos.

Scroll down to the bottom of the rules: http://chumpcar.com/downloads/chumpcar-rules.pdf Anything on that list can be entered as long as it has no performance upgrades, regardless of the actual condition or cost.

I race an e36, I think we got 2 penalty laps last summer for some poly subframe bushings. Our total cost at our first (And so far only) race ended up at around $750/driver not including the build. We used my old daily driver and did the cage ourselves, I think we have around 2k into the car not including the initial purchase years ago. It helps that our team is 2 mechanics, an engineer, and a computer programmer.

before:

During:

Racing:

crap:

We've repaired the crash damage and will be at Road America in April. Join us!

See you there!

Ip for new teams thinking about E36s, the changed the AIV on them now so that they're a $500 car stock, and you're basically not allowed to do anything to thm beyond putting in a cage and other safety mods. No lightening, no fancy springs, no fancy motors.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

drgitlin posted:

See you there!

Ip for new teams thinking about E36s, the changed the AIV on them now so that they're a $500 car stock, and you're basically not allowed to do anything to thm beyond putting in a cage and other safety mods. No lightening, no fancy springs, no fancy motors.

Yeah, it's kinda BS. There's no way it's easier to AIV say a 944 than an e36, but e36s got singled out because people like to complain when they loose. Like it or not you can get an e36 for under $500.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Running my first track day at Auto Club Speedway. Pretty perfect weather, fun stuff. Assload of cars here too

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Running my first track day at Auto Club Speedway. Pretty perfect weather, fun stuff. Assload of cars here too
Who's running it?

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

the poi posted:

Who's running it?

Speed Ventures. I've had my car for 5500 miles and thought "Mehhhh the stock suspension is fine, its the track package" A few laps around a track change that thinking in a hurry.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Speed Ventures. I've had my car for 5500 miles and thought "Mehhhh the stock suspension is fine, its the track package" A few laps around a track change that thinking in a hurry.

Resist the urge to mod the car and upgrade the nut behind the wheel first.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

SlapActionJackson posted:

Resist the urge to mod the car and upgrade the nut behind the wheel first.

I was fine, I don't wanna say it but I'll say it, thousands and thousands of laps in iRacing made me feel pretty comfortable on the track watching for other cars and focusing on my line and brake points etc. The downside to racing internet cars is they are internet race cars, not street cars with stability control and ABS etc. So I was super cautious with the gas in slow speed turns because what an iRacing C6R can do with a flick of the gas pedal is embedded in my brain. Next time I will at least try to get stability control to kick in just once so I can find what limit the car will let me turn. That will probably be in the Andretti Hairpin :3:

I was in a god drat fast beginner's group too. I'm comparing our times with previous meets and we were definitely quicker.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

I was fine, I don't wanna say it but I'll say it, thousands and thousands of laps in iRacing made me feel pretty comfortable on the track watching for other cars and focusing on my line and brake points etc. The downside to racing internet cars is they are internet race cars, not street cars with stability control and ABS etc. So I was super cautious with the gas in slow speed turns because what an iRacing C6R can do with a flick of the gas pedal is embedded in my brain. Next time I will at least try to get stability control to kick in just once so I can find what limit the car will let me turn. That will probably be in the Andretti Hairpin :3:

I was in a god drat fast beginner's group too. I'm comparing our times with previous meets and we were definitely quicker.

I do miss Auto Club now that I'm in the Bay Area. I'll drive to Willow Springs or Buttonwillow but Fontana's just a little too far. I miss Aaron's sense of humor :)

Also as someone who was way too aggressive as a beginner and killed lots of tires (and a wheel!) going two/four wheels off all the goddamn time, I would rather have been way too cautious instead

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Admirable Gusto posted:

I do miss Auto Club now that I'm in the Bay Area. I'll drive to Willow Springs or Buttonwillow but Fontana's just a little too far. I miss Aaron's sense of humor :)

Also as someone who was way too aggressive as a beginner and killed lots of tires (and a wheel!) going two/four wheels off all the goddamn time, I would rather have been way too cautious instead
You can go to T-hill for about $130. Why would you miss the drat roval?

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

nm posted:

You can go to T-hill for about $130. Why would you miss the drat roval?

Hm, perhaps because it's one of the first few tracks I ever visited.

I will always remember going 135 mph on the banking. The compressive g forces, the feel of the car twitching (no downforce), the 4pm sun in my eyes on the last session of the day. The wisecracking waitress at the divey breakfast place down the street. I'll take cherish those memories to the grave :v:

e: clarity

got off on a technicality fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Feb 26, 2013

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I've had some really terrible days at ACS and some really good ones.

Worst one was when I stayed up all night getting our EVO ready, almost fell asleep driving to the track, and then it blew up in practice.

Best was when I just went to a time attack hang out and a friend of mine rented a party bus after his car blew up. We did some night time 2-car racing on the auto-x course that weekend too.

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

So I wasn't planning on tracking my 2010 GTI (it lives as my wife and I's daily/city car), but I bought some summer wheels for it (17x7.5 RPF1s) and they came with some used NT01s on them. Not wanting to waste race tires in my possession I signed up to lap at Laguna in early April.

Question is this: I'm only going to do the one day on the car, and would like to keep it cheap and cheerful -- so what is the least amount of work you'd do to a fatty fat modern FWD car before going to the track for the first and last time on R-compounds?

Laguna can be pretty hard on brakes, and I imagine that is where the car will most likely come up short (or long).

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I would say brakes, but every single compound will destroy your fancy new wheels.

Hawk DTC-60s and ATE Superblue/TYP200.

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

Phone posted:

I would say brakes, but every single compound will destroy your fancy new wheels.

They're used and not too fancy. Plus I'll be painting them once the Nittos come off and sensible street rubber goes on.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Tasty, tasty tire carnage. So the shakedown test at VIR with Chin was a mild success and disappointment. Car is back in one piece even after trying to kill us all on like every single corner on the track. Hog's Pen, etc. Ended up being a loose radius rod on the front right. So the car would toe out or toe in depending on braking or accelerating. Finding the issue would not have been possible without help from our main sponsor/support team from Entropy Racing. The CRX is pretty goddamn fast being only ~2090 lbs with driver and full fuel. Still a lot of suspension setup/tuning left to get it good.

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Blooot posted:

So I wasn't planning on tracking my 2010 GTI (it lives as my wife and I's daily/city car), but I bought some summer wheels for it (17x7.5 RPF1s) and they came with some used NT01s on them. Not wanting to waste race tires in my possession I signed up to lap at Laguna in early April.

Question is this: I'm only going to do the one day on the car, and would like to keep it cheap and cheerful -- so what is the least amount of work you'd do to a fatty fat modern FWD car before going to the track for the first and last time on R-compounds?

Laguna can be pretty hard on brakes, and I imagine that is where the car will most likely come up short (or long).

IMO Laguna's not that hard on brakes if you're not trying to set a lap record.

All you have to do is brake way gently and early; unlike Sonoma there are no sections of the track that demand max braking over a short distance.

Totally agree with the brake flush, except I would stay away from the Superblue. I've heard stories of warranty coverage being denied because blue stains in the brake system -> track use. The gold stuff should be fine though.

sig11
Sep 9, 2005
Stop fucking my horse with asparagus.

Phone posted:

I've never had problems with Carbotech XP10/XP8s causing wheel damage. Takes relatively strong wheel cleaner to get baked on dust off if you leave it too long though.

Admirable Gusto posted:

Totally agree with the brake flush, except I would stay away from the Superblue. I've heard stories of warranty coverage being denied because blue stains in the brake system -> track use. The gold stuff should be fine though.

I can't see how they would have any grounds at all for denying warranty coverage because you used superblue. It's a perfectly reasonable DOT4 fluid for street use.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

From my first track day experience i'd say you just need a set of grippier pads (mostly so you keep your daily driver pads longer). I didn't even put on my rear Hawk pads because my car is clearly so front biased. If you're just going to do that one day ever I don't even think i'd worry about pads, just be prepared for fade.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Blooot posted:

If this is your first track day (assuming it is) then flush your brakes and have fun. You'll be running novice pace so you don't need race pads and can likely get by just fine with any FRESH off the shelf brake fluid. The stock pads on the GTI will work fine as long as they aren't worn down to a questionable level.

If you have been to the track before and run faster then pads, fluid and have fun.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

NitroSpazzz posted:

If this is your first track day (assuming it is) then flush your brakes and have fun. You'll be running novice pace so you don't need race pads and can likely get by just fine with any FRESH off the shelf brake fluid. The stock pads on the GTI will work fine as long as they aren't worn down to a questionable level.

If you have been to the track before and run faster then pads, fluid and have fun.

While we're on the topic, any suggestions for a brake fluid pressure bleeder? I've done it by hand, but I remember reading a pressure bleeder goes a whole lot faster.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Anyone have a guide for setting up a race seats?

I'm installing seats into my track prepped e30 and need to know ideal positioning for the seats.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
I've got my schedule for the year:

http://www.comscc.org/events/

Too bad I'm probably just doing the NHMS events because I don't really want to drive 6+ hours without a tow vehicle :smith:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

ColdPie posted:

While we're on the topic, any suggestions for a brake fluid pressure bleeder? I've done it by hand, but I remember reading a pressure bleeder goes a whole lot faster.

I used a vacuum bleeder - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AAJSOE/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Use it for oil changes and brake flushing just has an adapter to fit brake bleed nipples.

I also have a pressure system that I use sometime - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002KM5L0/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Depending on your car this might not work well, old Porsche's don't like to be pressurized from the reservoir and will piss fluid out the overflow.

BraveUlysses posted:

Anyone have a guide for setting up a race seats?

Quick and dirty version
height - as low as possible while still safe and offering good visibility
position - be able to push clutch to floor with slight bend in knee
back angle - be able to rest wrists on top of steering wheel WITH shoulders in contact with seat back
driver mirror - head against window, just be able to see back corner of car
passenger mirror - head in middle of car, just be able to see back corner of car

Of course if you are strangely proportioned this can be tricky. Sliders are nice but if it's just you bolt it to the floor/risers and be done with it.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 5, 2013

sig11
Sep 9, 2005
Stop fucking my horse with asparagus.

Octopus Magic posted:

I've got my schedule for the year:

http://www.comscc.org/events/

Too bad I'm probably just doing the NHMS events because I don't really want to drive 6+ hours without a tow vehicle :smith:

There has been some talk in my favorite track club (3Balls Racing) about hitting Calabogie with COMSCC this year. I hear it's a blast and there was some mention of a bunch of us renting a car hauler to cut costs.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Calabogie is a great track, its in amazing shape. I've been to watch a few touring car races there, and will be doing a lapping day or two there this season. My first track day ever is set for June 3rd... I am counting down the days already.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

ColdPie posted:

Just get a motive and whatever adapter you need for your reservoir. It makes it so much easier. Pressuize, open bleeder until you see fluid, close bleeder. Can easily bleed everything in 20 minutes depending on how fast you can remove/install wheels.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Crustashio posted:

Just get a motive and whatever adapter you need for your reservoir. It makes it so much easier. Pressuize, open bleeder until you see fluid, close bleeder. Can easily bleed everything in 20 minutes depending on how fast you can remove/install wheels.

Can you use the motive for clutch bleeding too?

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

NitroSpazzz posted:

The latter. I'm pretty sure the car is on the original stock pads (21k miles?) so it's probably due for some new ones. I'll do some new sporty pads flush with ATE TYP200 and see if I can restrain myself a little bit. It'll be nice to not worry about the dB limit.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Admirable Gusto posted:

IMO Laguna's not that hard on brakes if you're not trying to set a lap record.

Except Turn 11 which is a monster if you have the speed to do Corkscrew and the rest of the downhill quickly. In a GTI without camber added, it might not be too much of an issue.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Blooot posted:

The latter. I'm pretty sure the car is on the original stock pads (21k miles?) so it's probably due for some new ones. I'll do some new sporty pads flush with ATE TYP200 and see if I can restrain myself a little bit. It'll be nice to not worry about the dB limit.

wait wait wait a sec. Blooot, don't you have a bunch of track experience? Like a LeMons CRX and stuff (or something else)?

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

Hog Obituary posted:

wait wait wait a sec. Blooot, don't you have a bunch of track experience? Like a LeMons CRX and stuff (or something else)?

Uhhh yeah?

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

DJ Commie posted:

Except Turn 11 which is a monster if you have the speed to do Corkscrew and the rest of the downhill quickly. In a GTI without camber added, it might not be too much of an issue.

Hm perhaps I'm pussing out on turn 10 then despite the nicely cambered apex.

I always brake a good bit at the entry and never carry enough speed through there that braking for turn 11 is even remotely an issue

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Blooot posted:

Uhhh yeah?

Sorry, a lot of the comments seemed to be like "well if this is your first track day :words:"
Really just clarifying the situation more than anything. Your question was specifically "what should I do to this GTI, because I'm used to much more focused track cars" and not "what should I do to this GTI for my first time at the track"

Hog Obituary fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Mar 6, 2013

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Blooot posted:

Uhhh yeah?

So then can't you figure that poo poo out yourself?

At the minimum I would want more camber and better brake pads. Then maybe a set of swaybars. Then some KWs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

Yeah sorry, I should have been more clear. A better way of phrasing: if you were taking your modern bone-stock car to the track for a single day on r-compounds instead of your more focused racing/sports cars, what level of prep would you bother with?