Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Tusen Takk posted:

I don't know why this turned out blue, might be because it was kind of dark, but I saw this cruising down the road this morning. She could barely keep it going straight and looked like she was strong-arming it the entire time.

That photo will get deleted within the week, bad photobucket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Plinkey posted:

I worked with farm equipment as an engineer at CNH for two summers and this is terrifying.

Thats funny, it was a New Holland T6010 that was dragging that at the time!

When it gets rebuilt, its getting those cush drives replaced with ones with shear bolts like all the other slashers, so if we hit another tree stump/Uluru it shears off a pair of 5/16 high tensile bolts instead of a main shaft!

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Tusen Takk posted:

I don't know why this turned out blue,

You had last been taking pictures indoors and forgot to set the white balance back to auto

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I had such a fun afternoon

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Thanks for the nightmare fuel :allears:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
If it weren't for the rust I would have said that was plastic. Better shut up or I'll give car mfgs ideas.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

General_Failure posted:

If it weren't for the rust I would have said that was plastic. Better shut up or I'll give car mfgs ideas.

Been done already, don't worry :(

There are cars with plastic swaybar links too. And plastic crash structures.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Slavvy posted:

There are cars with plastic swaybar links

Many, many compact cars. Such as the Chevy Cobalt and Saturn Ion.

:fuckoff:

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
No picture, but my 2010 Elantra with 38k blew a main seal and is awaiting a warranty-replacement engine. :( Engine sounded fine the entire time I've owned it, and the first sign of failure was last week when I noticed fresh oil spray on the underside of the hood (and all over the engine). Took it in, they looked at it for a while and sent me home with a loaner. Then I get a call: "You're getting a new engine!" Hooray?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

some texas redneck posted:

Many, many compact cars. Such as the Chevy Cobalt and Saturn Ion.

:fuckoff:

You should buy some Powergrid Endlinks next time you need them changed out. They're on the expensive side, but you'll never have to replace them again and they can be found for cheaper on OTTP sometimes.

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Mar 5, 2013

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

anonumos posted:

No picture, but my 2010 Elantra with 38k blew a main seal and is awaiting a warranty-replacement engine. :( Engine sounded fine the entire time I've owned it, and the first sign of failure was last week when I noticed fresh oil spray on the underside of the hood (and all over the engine). Took it in, they looked at it for a while and sent me home with a loaner. Then I get a call: "You're getting a new engine!" Hooray?

Major repair work can lower the resale value. People will think the car is a lemon.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Sounds like it is a lemon.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Neptr posted:

Major repair work can lower the resale value. People will think the car is a lemon.

Yeah, extreme documentation is pretty much the only recourse for a private sale. Shouldn't affect trade-in value, though.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

anonumos posted:

This is interesting, is it a 2.0L or a 2.4? Or a diesel. I'm curious because I've never seen one of these engines go wrong that way professionally.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Slavvy posted:

Been done already, don't worry :(

There are cars with plastic swaybar links too. And plastic crash structures.

Nothing wrong with plastic crash structures if done right, you can mold a very complex 3D shape for absorbing energy that would otherwise require multiple stamped parts and assembly steps.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Slavvy posted:

This is interesting, is it a 2.0L or a 2.4? Or a diesel. I'm curious because I've never seen one of these engines go wrong that way professionally.

Yes, it's a 2.0. Looks a lot like my old Saturn Coupe's engine. Apparently a bit more fragile though. Go figure. There was a pile of work done on it before, too. The top motor mount was marked with yellow paint (warranty work?), first gear had some work done to it, as well as the camshaft position sensor (or something like that).

I'm leaning toward "lemon and the dealer knew" because I had taken it in several times to read codes (the CEL was on and off the whole time), but they always gave it a clean bill of health. So, I'm beginning to wonder if they were just waiting for the whole thing to blow to do a real (and costly) warranty job on the motor...

PS: I didn't buy it for its resale. I planned to drive it for a decade, if I could, until it fell apart outside of the warranty. It's an Elantra. I was never going to get much for it, even before the blown engine.

anonumos fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 5, 2013

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Cakefool posted:

Nothing wrong with plastic crash structures if done right, you can mold a very complex 3D shape for absorbing energy that would otherwise require multiple stamped parts and assembly steps.

the plastic won't rust out, either. And it's probably attached to the chassis as a single unit, meaning the chassis is a much less complex and rust prone part too... I see no problems with plastic/foam/composite crash structures.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

kastein posted:

the plastic won't rust out, either. And it's probably attached to the chassis as a single unit, meaning the chassis is a much less complex and rust prone part too... I see no problems with plastic/foam/composite crash structures.

I have no problem with that either, as long as it isn't totally caged in. Ie replaceable so a little crunch isn't a total writeoff. But you can keep a car with plastic suspension components. I want nothing to do with such an abomination.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

anonumos posted:

Yes, it's a 2.0. Looks a lot like my old Saturn Coupe's engine. Apparently a bit more fragile though. Go figure. There was a pile of work done on it before, too. The top motor mount was marked with yellow paint (warranty work?), first gear had some work done to it, as well as the camshaft position sensor (or something like that).

I'm leaning toward "lemon and the dealer knew" because I had taken it in several times to read codes (the CEL was on and off the whole time), but they always gave it a clean bill of health. So, I'm beginning to wonder if they were just waiting for the whole thing to blow to do a real (and costly) warranty job on the motor...

PS: I didn't buy it for its resale. I planned to drive it for a decade, if I could, until it fell apart outside of the warranty. It's an Elantra. I was never going to get much for it, even before the blown engine.

They aren't making any money off that warranty job, trust me. The hours they spend will probably be about double compared to their book time. There's no part profit either. They would've been putting it off because it costs them a fair bit of money to fix.

The beta engine sucks in general, though I've never seen one fail like that.

kastein posted:

Also impossible to repair if you have even a slight ding. The parts quotes run into many thousands of dollars for a walking-speed smash in a parking lot, so when those cars become too old for insurance to repair they'll disappear off the road en masse.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

kastein posted:

Kydex pickle barrel plastic is a lot sturdier than any of the body panels on my cars. It's not be prime-time frame material, but I can see it being very good for a crumple zone. Prime-time frame stuff is insane boron-steel poo poo now anyway.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Splizwarf posted:

Kydex pickle barrel plastic is a lot sturdier than any of the body panels on my cars. It's not be prime-time frame material, but I can see it being very good for a crumple zone. Prime-time frame stuff is insane boron-steel poo poo now anyway.

A near 100% plastic car opens up some interesting possibilities assuming engineers start with a blank slate. Emulating classic car design would probably lead to some really interesting structural failures.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Slavvy posted:

The beta engine sucks in general, though I've never seen one fail like that.

drat it. I suck at teh buying of cars.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

anonumos posted:

drat it. I suck at teh buying of cars.

No, I do.

Nissan Bluebird Series 3 GXE
'72 VW S Beetle
'75 VW Camper
VB Holden Commodore
TN Mitsubishi Magna
ZL Ford Fairlane (I6 TBI)
EA Ford Falcon (S, 5 sp. Manual)
NF Ford Fairlane Sportsman (302 V8 SEFI)

That doesn't include parts cars. I'm sure I forgot something though.
Oh and next up:
'87 lada Niva 1600.

I can go through and list all the problems that plagued each of these cars if you want to feel better.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

General_Failure posted:

A near 100% plastic car opens up some interesting possibilities assuming engineers start with a blank slate. Emulating classic car design would probably lead to some really interesting structural failures.

You're proposing the lovechild of a Smart Car and a Saturn. Let's step back and think about this for a second.

I mean, I'd hit that, but I have a real thing for ugly worthless cars:

I wish the picture of this abomination was bigger (sorry):

:siren:

:siren:

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

oops

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

harbor freight Harbor Freight HARBOR FREIGHT

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I wouldnt instantly say that- Ive got an old Dawn vice thats probably about twice the size of that, that has a MASSIVE braze repair almost in the exact same spot as that one. Coincidently, the 1" handle has a nice bend in it too.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ferremit posted:

I wouldnt instantly say that

Except for the picture that shows an exact shape and color match to a 4" HF swivel vise.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

General_Failure posted:

A near 100% plastic car opens up some interesting possibilities assuming engineers start with a blank slate.
Moon Pie? What a time to be alive!

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

That's really cool. Theoretically a damaged section could be lopped off and the car fed through a special repair line where it re-fills in the gaps. Well maybe not but wouldn't that be awesome? I whole heartedly support the idea of this so long as metal cars still exist too. I also foresee people being laughed at for fitting carbon fiber panels.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Motronic posted:

Except for the picture that shows an exact shape and color match to a 4" HF swivel vise.

Which dont exist in Australia...

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
I recently broke my father's vise like that while doing the rear drums on my Jetta. It was probably 20+ years old though.

Edit: Vices and vises are different things.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Ferremit posted:

Which dont exist in Australia...

That's true but a lot of stock that we get elsewhere seems to match up with HF stuff. I think Lyall Eales (or however the hell it's spelt) gets some bleed through stock from the same Chinese factories. I suspect Supercheap does too but I can neither confirm nor deny that.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

General_Failure posted:

That's really cool. Theoretically a damaged section could be lopped off and the car fed through a special repair line where it re-fills in the gaps. Well maybe not but wouldn't that be awesome? I whole heartedly support the idea of this so long as metal cars still exist too. I also foresee people being laughed at for fitting carbon fiber panels.

Well, the article does say the body only has 50 pieces and production costs on individual parts won't be very high.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Would you download a car? :v:

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Collateral Damage posted:

(Re@lC@rz)_2014_VW_Passat_GLX_(OFFICIAL)

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
I think itd be interesting to print a relatively thin one that the home mechanic overlays with fiberglass and/or carbon fiber. Print a monocoque and complete at home.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Collateral Damage posted:

I always hated that anti-piracy ad. To date I've downloaded movies, games, and firearms. What the gently caress makes you think I *wouldn't* download a car? poo poo, yeah.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I would download Jesus and make him turn my water into wine. I probably wouldn't download some starving kids gruel though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Elephanthead posted:

I would download Jesus and make him turn my water into wine. I probably wouldn't download some starving kids gruel though.

See, that's the best part, though. You can download the gruel several times and give it *to* the kid. It's the ultimate scam!