Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Zero Karizma posted:

I completely agree with this. Rubber was so drat in love with its own "cleverness" that it killed all the humor for me.

If you haven't seen it, watch the first scene. If the "no reason" speech makes you roll your eyes, you can probably tap out right there.

I read Rubber as a self-parody mocking art movies in love with their own cleverness and breaking of storytelling conventions. Like the list of stupid poo poo the guy says is for no reason, the attempted break of the fourth way that goes wrong because the guy doesn't eat the turkey, and the ending all read that way to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Yonic Symbolism posted:

I read Rubber as a self-parody mocking art movies in love with their own cleverness and breaking of storytelling conventions. Like the list of stupid poo poo the guy says is for no reason, the attempted break of the fourth way that goes wrong because the guy doesn't eat the turkey, and the ending all read that way to me.

I did a nice long episode on Rubber, but I more or less responded to it like some of the previous posters - on a surface level, I appreciated that it tried to do something new, to an extent, but I thought its overall attitude was just a contempt for its audience at the expense of its own cleverness. I read the self-parody parts too, but I think it just adds another layer of 'art movieness' to this parody of art movies - "Oh, you think this is an art movie? Yeah, well we're going to be EXTRA arty, what do you think about that?" Basically, it ends up swallowing itself in a black hole of ironic aloofness.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Rubber's problem is the Greek Chorus/peanut gallery. It comes off like they didn't have confidence in their idea, or that it was a short padded out to be feature length.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...

Yonic Symbolism posted:

I read it that way too. I just was annoyed by it. In fairness, "self awareness" tends to be an immediate turn-off for me.

I know Rubber is "deeper" than this, but it felt like when a bunch of college kids make an intentionally bad horror movie, but spend half the film winking at the audience so that "we know that they know how terrible this is." It just ruins the whole joke.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Thanks, thread, I had no interest in The Last Exorcism before but drat, very entertaining film. The first ten minutes are amazing (Banana Bread Sermon!)

If I were able to suspend my disbelief, The Fourth Kind would have been the most creepy poo poo of all time, but even knowing it's fake it was still alright. Oh God what's wrong with her mouth

The documentary on male Japanese hosts (Great Happiness Space) was crazy depressing. Holy poo poo. Even though I knew there was a "twist" it was something I did not expect, at all.

Anyway.

It got mediocre-to-bad reviews, but I think the reviewers just didn't get it (man): I Melt With You. Rob Lowe, Thomas Jane, Jeremy Piven and some guy I've never heard of are four college friends who are really into 80s alternative rock and drugs and they get together to have a good time! It is a really nice feel good movie. :unsmith:

edit: Here's one of the few positive reviews it got, which absolutely nails it, though it also is kind of spoilery:

http://www.sfgate.com/movies/article/I-Melt-With-You-review-Seeing-twisted-appeal-2423719.php

e2: Good Lord, I thought I was pretty hip on Netflix gems, but every page of this thread has at least one movie to add to my list. Goodbye free time forever!

precision fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 4, 2013

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Volume posted:

The first 20 minutes are really boring and it probably is a cultural difference thingy. I didn't like the beginning either. I almost turned it off however once they start out on their Tour de Pussy, it gets laugh out loud funny.

I guess I'll have to try again,I actually stopped watching right before they start their Tour de Pussy.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

The Royal Scrub posted:

Safety Not Guaranteed is a pretty good movie. I guess it's a comedy that's minorly sci-fi. The cast is what caught my attention though. It's sort of a mixed bag of actors from shows like New Girl, Parks & Recreation and The League.

We watched this yesterday and thought it was great. Does anyone know any other quirky, uplifting indie films with light pathos? Something along the lines of Little Miss Sunshine, Garden State or 100 days of Summer?

I saw Giant Mechanical Pam a couple weeks ago and it had surprisingly little charm. One thing to note though is that Topher Grace plays 'The Wrong Man' - a smug self-help speaker who talks about himself too much. But instead of playing the character like a straight romcom villian, he does it with a hint of Imposter Syndrome, making him - for me - the most compelling thing about movie. So speaking of that, can anyone recommend any films that deal with Imposter Syndrome? I really can't think of any. Rocky and Cool Hand Luke touch on it a little. And The King's Speech, while great, is a scene-for-scene remake of the Karate Kid, so that doesn't count.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
Manhunter amazed me for how true to the spirit of the book the movie remained despite altering the plot. Manhunter balanced a pretty good mystery yarn with copious amounts of action and horror; Red Dragon focused on a slow burn thriller. The vintage 80's film keeps the blood flowing (both mentally and physically). The later adaptation of Red Dragon followed the story may have followed the story much closer, but to me Manhunter better captures the horror. Michael Mann traded the more cerebral original finale Dolarhyde's faked death and invasion of the Graham home in Florida for the batshit insane In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida shootout. Red Dragon's final scene, a funny coda in the name of fan service, sort of distracts from the fantastic true-to-the-book climax of the movie. I give Red Dragon points for ratcheting up the tension in different ways than Manhunter did. While I do think Anthony Hopkins enjoyed cashing the paycheck better than acting in Red Dragon and no amount makeup could hide his age at the time, nobody else can be Lecter to me. Brian Cox is a whole 'nother monster (in the best way possible). William Petersen as Graham captured the collateral damage and lingering concerns of his mental faculties, something that William Norton only displayed flashes of in Red Dragon. The 2 Dolarhydes go for different twisted performances. Noonan's dark man-apart may lack some of the physical menace that Ralph Fiennes brought to the role, Noonan can still scare the living daylights out of anyone as a killer run amok. I wonder how much by-the-numbers Fiennes made it into his final performance and if that really something that detracts from Red Dragon. It's interesting that Mann edited Dolarhyde's famous tattoos out of the final cut to let Tom Noonan, the film's color pallet, and the audience's imagination run wild through the rest of the movie.

LaptopGun fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 4, 2013

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

ChineseConnection posted:

The movie (and TV show its based off of) have been frequently compared to HBO's Curb your Enthusiasm. If you're not into that type of humor, you likely won't enjoy Klown. Even the premise of the TV show is almost exactly like Curb with an idiotic retired comedian getting in trouble all the time because of lack of social skills and equally idiotic friends.

The show itself is loving hilarious too.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vEBdjONWYsg

Basically he's pretending he's Indiana Jones whipping Nazis. (The whip was a Christmas gift)

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

The show itself is loving hilarious too.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vEBdjONWYsg

Basically he's pretending he's Indiana Jones whipping Nazis. (The whip was a Christmas gift)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEBdjONWYsg

For those of us not on mobile phones.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

GI_Clutch posted:

I just went to watch Safety Not Guaranteed on my PS3 and instead of going right into the movie it buffered up and played a House of Cards ad (skippable by hitting the X button). I hope this isn't a sign of things to come if Netflix keeps creating original content.

Instead of a short ad they should make you watch the pilot before you can view any other content.

Also chalk me up as someone who didn't really like Safety Not Guaranteed. I didn't really dislike it, and it had a few cute moments, but overall it just felt like a half written script that was just padded out with random odd scenes that meandered more than anything else. The ending was stupid as hell, too.

Haven't really seen any movies worth recommending on there recently, but the National Geographic specials are well done.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

We watched this yesterday and thought it was great. Does anyone know any other quirky, uplifting indie films with light pathos? Something along the lines of Little Miss Sunshine, Garden State or 100 days of Summer?

I really liked Jeff Who Lives at Home, if you haven't seen that yet. Incidentally, it's written/directed by the Duplass Brothers (Mark Duplass plays the Kenneth character in Safety Not Guaranteed). Really, I'd recommend any of the Duplass Brothers movies, as most of them would probably fit what you're looking for. I'd also recommend Lars and the Real Girl and Everything Must Go.

Seeking a Friend For The End of the World is another one that I enjoyed, but it's not on Netflix yet.

Acrolos fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Mar 4, 2013

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Desperado Bones posted:

I guess I'll have to try again,I actually stopped watching right before they start their Tour de Pussy.

:aaa: That's when the movie really gets going. From then on it's absolutely hilarious.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

If you haven't seen it, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is a must watch.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I liked "Jeff, Who Lives at Home" when I first watched it but the more I thought about it the more annoyed I got by it's by-the-numbers indie quirkisms. That and the whole climax was pretty goofy.

It's like the opposite of a film that grows on you.

Lefty Lugubrious
Apr 30, 2006

I watched 12 and Holding last night. "When 12-year-old Rudy dies in a tree-house fire set by bullies, his death affects a circle of young lives. While Rudy's twin brother, Jacob, focuses his wrath on revenge, Malee finds comfort in one of her psychotherapist mother's clients (played by Jeremy Renner). Meanwhile, Leonard, an overweight boy who escaped the blaze, begins a weight-loss regimen -- much to the dismay of his fat family."

It's from 2005, back when Jeremy Renner was doing emotional indie movies. The children in this movie are really stellar. The story is compelling and dark, and there are some funny moments as well. I laughed pretty hard when Leonard the fatty locks his mom in the basement in an extremely misguided attempt to make her eat better (he boards up the doors and windows and slides salads to her from a slot he created). Well, I laughed eventually. At first I just did this :suspense:. And maybe I'm dense but the ending surprised me.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

mod sassinator posted:

:aaa: That's when the movie really gets going. From then on it's absolutely hilarious.

Guys, I think I'm going to have to get myself drunk or something, that or my sense of humor is quite dead. :geno:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Bronson is expiring pretty soon and it's a super weird movie that you should watch, especially if you like Tom Hardy.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
I love Rubber and I thought Klown was awful and badly written.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

axleblaze posted:

Bronson is expiring pretty soon and it's a super weird movie that you should watch, especially if you like Tom Hardy.
It was my first exposure to Nicolas Winding-Refn, who also directed Drive and Valhalla Rising. Hardy puts in an insane performance, and it's a really interesting movie. I like it a lot.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I watched The Raven (John Cusack as Edgar Allen Poe: Police Detective) last weekend, I thought it was pretty well done considering I found it by accident and never had heard of it.

Also finally watched the first episode of "House of Cards" and will keep watching...

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Desperado Bones posted:

Guys, I think I'm going to have to get myself drunk or something, that or my sense of humor is quite dead. :geno:

I found Klown to be incredibly boring and not funny. It's nowhere near smart enough to make its kind of humor work.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I found Klown to be incredibly boring and not funny. It's nowhere near smart enough to make its kind of humor work.

It suffers from a similar problem that The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret does, where the main character is such a fuckin dope and every (increasingly poor) decision he makes just reeks of "no no god dammit that is so dumb why would you think that would be smart" instead of the Larry David "augh no larry you can't say that right now :allears:" that they think they are achieving.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Loathsomeness and absurdity without wit just makes for an incredibly audience-hostile experience.

For an example of a film that is able to combine its absurdity with actual cleverness to great effect, y'all should go check out Shaolin Grandma, still on streaming.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
I noticed the other day that they put up Marley for streaming at some point in the recent past. It's seriously one of the best musician documentaries I've had the pleasure of viewing. Bob Marley fans will love the rare tracks and footage, not to mention the extensive interviews with Bunny Wailer, Rita, Ziggy, and so forth. And people who don't know much about the guy should watch it anyway because it eloquently shows that Bob was much more complex and principled than the hippie pothead that modern marketing makes him out to be.

Otherwise, my fiancée and I decided on a whim to watch Life Is Beautiful the other day, and... :(

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Michael Mann fans excited about Miami Vice and Manhunter, if it ever becomes available, never EVER watch The Keep.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Mechafunkzilla posted:

For an example of a film that is able to combine its absurdity with actual cleverness to great effect, y'all should go check out Shaolin Grandma, still on streaming.

Turned it off after 10 minutes, couldn't have been more bored.

Klown was funny as hell. A few of the situations were a little unbelievable, but those were more than made up for by the rest of the movie.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Klown was funny as hell. A few of the situations were a little unbelievable, but those were more than made up for by the rest of the movie.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

:psyduck: The thing is I can't believe actually I found FDR: American Badass to be more funny with the stupid polio legs jokes than Klown. At least I'm not the only one.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Doctor Butts posted:

Michael Mann fans excited about Miami Vice and Manhunter, if it ever becomes available, never EVER watch The Keep.
No, they should watch The Keep, as an reminder that even he has his missteps. (And also for the awesome Tangerine Dream soundtrack.)

Thief is still on Netflix instant as well, another overlooked Mann film.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

kuddles posted:

No, they should watch The Keep, as an reminder that even he has his missteps. (And also for the awesome Tangerine Dream soundtrack.)

Thief is still on Netflix instant as well, another overlooked Mann film.

I liked The Keep. It's not a great film by any stretch, but it has loads of atmosphere and great music.

I watched Shaolin Grandma last night - I don't think I've laughed at anything so hard in long while. It starts off kind of goofy and dumb but once she goes into the city it becomes one of the most absurd and hilarious things I've ever seen.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

You stopped watching literally minutes before it gets good.

Daveski posted:

I watched Shaolin Grandma last night - I don't think I've laughed at anything so hard in long while. It starts off kind of goofy and dumb but once she goes into the city it becomes one of the most absurd and hilarious things I've ever seen.

That's one of the things I liked most about it -- it starts making you think it's just going to be an incredibly dumb low-budget parody, and kind of sneaks up on you with how funny and well-crafted it is (in a way entirely different than you'd expect from the premise).

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 5, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Doctor Butts posted:

The Keep had been on for quite some time. I like it, it's Michael Mann's Quintet.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
I like the Keep as well- we'll never see it, but I'd love for Mann's original cut of it (all 3+ hours) to come out. There are so many elements and shots that are just plain cool- I love the part where the two guards enter the crypt for the first time and it pans out to reveal this absolutely massive interior space and Molasar's smoke form blows me away every time I see it, I still don't know quite how they did it. For every thing that works in the movie, there are probably two that don't, It has probably the worst sound mix of any movie I have heard- most of the actors are barely audible. It's also choppy as hell, but it's speculating on what's missing in the released cut that makes it pretty interesting- Why did the priest kill (and from the half second we see it presumably eat) his dog?

The fact that it's never been released on DVD is why you should at least give it a try if it's on Netflix again because that's about the only way you're going to see it other than even crappier versions on youtube. It has probably the worst sound mix of any movie I have heard- most of the actors are barely audible.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Alright, I'll try again. I quit at about the point she leaves the school.

I wish they'd bring back Black Dynamite.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Mechafunkzilla posted:

That's one of the things I liked most about it -- it starts making you think it's just going to be an incredibly dumb low-budget parody, and kind of sneaks up on you with how funny and well-crafted it is (in a way entirely different than you'd expect from the premise).

:D Is it as good as Kung Fu Hustle and Shaolin Soccer?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I'm at least halfway through Shaolin Grandma and I don't think I've laughed once.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Keyser S0ze posted:

I watched The Raven (John Cusack as Edgar Allen Poe: Police Detective) last weekend, I thought it was pretty well done considering I found it by accident and never had heard of it.

I think John Cusack was drunk during the entire filming of it. I caught it in the theaters, it wasn't bad but wish I had waited till it came to streaming.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Desperado Bones posted:

:D Is it as good as Kung Fu Hustle and Shaolin Soccer?

It's not anything like those movies.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

Mahoning posted:

I'm at least halfway through Shaolin Grandma and I don't think I've laughed once.

I hated it. Not sure what people are talking about.

Loved Klown though, start to finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
So people mentioned Bronson, and I'm a huge fan of Drive. But on the way to see it, I caught Valhalla Rising instead. I thought it'd be a viking Lone Wolf and Cub, but it quickly became much darker and more philosophical. Mads Mikkelson is an astounding presence. I completely understand that a huge number of people will find it too ponderous, and some might even use the deadly word, "pretentious." But I think it's a fantastically directed movie with a wonderful infer-your-own-allegory. It's Werner Herzog by way of brutal Viking violence. Maybe I was just in the right head space after seeing Mulholland Drive, but drat I loved it.

Oh, and I thought it was a really great use of color correction, too. I don't just mean because there's lot of it -- but the control of colors is something so often overlooked in the art of moviemaking, it's a great reminder how color motifs can completely change your opinion of a scene or space. It's a lot more conspicuous than most Hollywood movies, but it all feels so deliberate. The score at moments made me think of Koyaanisqatsi with the drones and repetitive beats.

Cocoa Ninja fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 6, 2013

• Locked thread