Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I was under the impression that football was a team sport.

Apparently you just need a quarterback that can Super Bowl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

quote:

Ryan Tannehill

Under the radar because of his fellow rookies, Tannehill had a really nice first season… and that was with Brian Hartline as his top weapon. Don’t rule out the possibility he could end up with the best career of any QB from the 2012 draft.

Obstacles: lack of passcatchers… for now. Jeff Ireland’s intention to add a WR or two via free agency (and maybe the draft) is not a well-kept secret. As Tom Brady enters the last act of his career, the Fins are the top candidate to take over the East.

passcatchers

PendingForaBending
Dec 30, 2005

How Bout Them Cowboys.
I'd like to see that guy try to throw the football farther than Tim Tebow. It's easy to talk about willing a team to victory from the press box.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Ehud posted:

passcatchers

Dumbest term since they started saying "warfighter."

Cashout
Apr 22, 2011

Called by many the greatest position coach of all-time, Howard Mudd always inevitably quips, "and that's just for my work in the bedroom!"

Febreeze posted:

http://davedameshek.nfl.com/2013/03/04/cant-do-attitude/?module=HP11_content_stream

Cowboy fans, do yourself a favor and don't read the part about Romo

I'm going to start using "forget the hooey" in my daily vocabulary like he did in the Jay Cutler section.

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

You can't harm me. Are you a fucking ass? Do you not know who I am? He must not know who I am.
A blast from the past! Let's see what everyone's favorite Dolphins writer said about teams last July.

Omar Kelly posted:

RT @MBrave13: No Packers, Ravens in there?» I think the Packers caught lightning in a bottle, & I'd tired of the Ravens letting me down.
The Ravens are my adopted team, but they have too much drama going on right now with soooo many players needing to get their $ straight.

Mmm yes, quality analysis. Let's see what he said recently about Ryan Tannehill:

quote:

Russell Wilson, Robert Griffin III, Andrew Luck all showed IT in their rookie season. Dolphins fans only saw IT once from Tannehill, who won one (Seattle) out of six games decided in the fourth-quarter.
You can excuse the absence of IT on his inexperience, lack of weapons, shaky offensive line, poor protection from the tailbacks, his knee injury, lackluster coaching, the fact the defense struggled to put away games where the offense produced a lead. The list of excuses is long, but when you break it all down they simply justify failure because its universally known that good quarterbacks make the players around them better.

Yes. The 'it' factor, fourth quarter comebacks, and willing a team to victory. Judging by how right Omar Kelly usually is, Tannehill is going to lead Miami to the super bowl next season.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/dolphins-blog/sfl-what-is-the-upside-for-ryan-tannehill-20130225,0,2299336.story The entire article is magic.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Why does every sportswriter seem to think there's only three guys in the entire NFL who really, really want to win? Apparently every team is full of guys just collecting a paycheck and not giving a poo poo.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

superaielman posted:

A blast from the past! Let's see what everyone's favorite Dolphins writer said about teams last July.

Mmm yes, quality analysis. Let's see what he said recently about Ryan Tannehill:

Yes. The 'it' factor, fourth quarter comebacks, and willing a team to victory. Judging by how right Omar Kelly usually is, Tannehill is going to lead Miami to the super bowl next season.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/dolphins-blog/sfl-what-is-the-upside-for-ryan-tannehill-20130225,0,2299336.story The entire article is magic.

The only thing worse than "it" is when he calls it a "kill"

"Tannehill had a chance for a kill today, but he didn't come through."

yeah but omar on third and ten he threw a perfect ball that was dropped by fasano

"NO EXCUSES. HE STILL DOESN'T HAVE ANY KILLS"

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
How dare you blame ANYTHING on Tannehill you mother fucker.

Tannehill had a couple games where he blew the big pass (two of which would have given Hartline touchdowns) but he was certainly not given any favors by guys like Legedu Naanee (still by far the greatest Omar Kelley snafu)

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Listing Vince Young as a quarterback who can't win a Super Bowl seems kinda cheap to me

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

I mean other than that the article was great

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Febreeze posted:

http://davedameshek.nfl.com/2013/03/04/cant-do-attitude/?module=HP11_content_stream

Cowboy fans, do yourself a favor and don't read the part about Romo

Holy poo poo look at that smug punchable face up top. Ye gods.

There's so many terrible opinions about Romo now, that poo poo don't even faze me bruh. Dave's gonna have to raise his game if he wants to troll like Bayless.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax
I normally don't even read much in the way of sports news but this popped up in my Facebook adverts and it pissed me off.

http://www.kpopstarz.com/articles/22096/20130305/michael-vick-dog-training-eagles-quarterback-petsmart.htm

quote:

Michael Vick Dog Training? After Infamous Dog Fighting Conviction, Eagles QB Trains Pet Puppy At NJ PetSmart

Home > News > Life & Gossip
Michael Vick Dog Training? After Infamous Dog Fighting Conviction, Eagles QB Trains Pet Puppy At NJ PetSmart
Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Michael Vick has been seen training his dog at a New Jersey area PetSmart store.
March 5, 2013 2:56 PM EST | 22 EMAIL PRINT
More Sharing Services0

inShare

, Michael Vick Dog Training
[Michael Vick dog training at NJ Petsmart]
Michael Vick dog training at NJ Petsmart

Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Michael Vick has been seen training his dog at a New Jersey area PetSmart store.

It is interesting that Michael Vick is training his dog, as he served almost two years in prison on charges related to illegal dog fighting.

Now, he is training his dog Angel, a Belgian Malinois, at a NJ PetSmart.

Like Us on Facebook :

The blog Crossing Broad received an anonymous tip, and posted several photographs of Vick and his dog.

The source claimed that Vick regularly visits the store and has signed up for six training classes on Monday evenings.

Since Vick ended his prison sentence, he has tried to regain his respectable NFL reputation and career. His stint in Philadelphia has helped him get back on track.

Last fall, Vick released a statement acknowledging that he is again a dog owner. He became allowed to own a dog again after his probation ended in the summer of 2012.

Although some commend Vick for training his dog, others question that he should be allowed to own a dog at all.

Vick issued a statement last fall on the topic, saying:

"I understand the strong emotions by some people about our family's decision to care for a pet. As a father, it is important to make sure my children develop a healthy relationship with animals."

"I want to ensure that my children establish a loving bond and treat all of God's creatures with kindness and respect. Our pet is well cared for and loved as a member of our family."

"This is an opportunity to break the cycle. To that end, I will continue to honor my commitment to animal welfare and be an instrument of positive change."

However irresponsible Vick may have been in the past, irresponsible pet owners don't spend time and money to ensure their dogs learn obedience.

Vick will reportedly be staying with the Philadelphia Eagles as quarterback for at least one more season.

It reads like a goon wrote it for a penny a word and is one of the stupidest things I've ever read. You disappoint me kpopstarz.com, which apparently exists and is interested in American Football.

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

You can't harm me. Are you a fucking ass? Do you not know who I am? He must not know who I am.
There's been a lot of really terrible writing done in the aftermath of Percy Harvin's trade to the Seahawks. This piece stands out in particular:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl---sources--percy-harvin-s-lack-of-confidence-in-christian-ponder-was-final-straw-for-vikings-205048037.html

It has character assassination, painting Harvin as greedy for wanting a contract extension, and even a random blowing of Russell Wilson worked into the story. I hate sports media so much.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

superaielman posted:

There's been a lot of really terrible writing done in the aftermath of Percy Harvin's trade to the Seahawks. This piece stands out in particular:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl---sources--percy-harvin-s-lack-of-confidence-in-christian-ponder-was-final-straw-for-vikings-205048037.html

It has character assassination, painting Harvin as greedy for wanting a contract extension, and even a random blowing of Russell Wilson worked into the story. I hate sports media so much.

I love it. Harvin was difficult to deal with in college. *gives no examples, evidence, or elaboration.

I think I like best how he is painted as always wanting more, and paying him anything more than he is getting now is just going to result in him making more and more demands.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

swickles posted:

*gives no examples, evidence, or elaboration.

To be fair, this happens in most organizations in the US that consider themselves "news" outlets.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

New weekly required reading,

Deadspin posted:

SI is developing a new brand and website with King as the centerpiece, sources told us. The in-house nickname for the new site is Kinglandia. The actual name for the site is still under discussion. (SI, please stick with Kinglandia.)

Unlike Bill Simmons's general-interest Grantland, King's site will be football-only. It'll launch in the next few month, and SI will own it.

On the plus side, this will lead to a Florio/King feud.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

commy gun posted:

Literally jaw-dropping. My jaw dropped and remained slack for several moments. Exhibit 4911 that there is no just god.

Suggested name- Nuggetopia.

Mr. Funny Pants fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 18, 2013

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Football and coffee only.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Does anyone else keep an eye out for King when travelling to see if you can do something to him that will get you mentioned in MMQB or is that just me? Kinglandia seems to offer even more of an opportunity for this.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I laughed my rear end off when I read about this Peter King site. They can't possibly think he can pull off what Bill Simmons did. I know it says football only, but they have to have higher aspirations.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Shittynerdness

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

commy gun posted:

He can't even do football-only in his football column.

St1cky
Aug 16, 2005

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Mike Alden, supergenius.

commy gun posted:

With any luck they'll hire Rick Reilly away from ESPN and kill two birds with one stone

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

jackyl posted:

Does anyone else keep an eye out for King when travelling to see if you can do something to him that will get you mentioned in MMQB or is that just me? Kinglandia seems to offer even more of an opportunity for this.
If I ever miraculously find out that King will be on one of my flights and that we will be sitting next to each other, I plan to not wear any deodorant for a couple of days prior so that he can write about smelly Indian passengers.

midwat
May 6, 2007

St1cky posted:

With any luck they'll hire Rick Reilly away from ESPN and kill two birds with one stone

With any luck, they'll kill Rick Reilly with a stone.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Isaac Bruce Bowen posted:

If I ever miraculously find out that King will be on one of my flights and that we will be sitting next to each other, I plan to not wear any deodorant for a couple of days prior so that he can write about smelly Indian passengers.

hahahahahaha

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Maybe King's connections will bring in good writers. I mean, Grantland owns even though Bill Simmons is annoying.

Right, guys? Guys?

The Incredible Ed
Nov 12, 2006

The way of a sluggard is like a hedge of thorns, but the path of the upright is a level highway.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Maybe King's connections will bring in good writers. I mean, Grantland owns even though Bill Simmons is annoying.

Right, guys? Guys?

This might just be me, but all the stuff I find interesting on Grantland comes from guest columns. Their staff writers are dogshit.

That Which Squeaks
Aug 28, 2006

"Good. Use your aggressive feelings, boy. Let the hate flow through you."
-Bill Belichick
Please don't hire Bedard for that poo poo.

Norv Turner
Jul 24, 2007

Norv... Norv never changes.
Mike Silver at yahoo sports put this thing out today:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--time-for-roger-goodell-to-flex-muscle--put-mlb-in-its-place-over-baltimore-scheduling-issue-012332056.html

Mike Silver may not be the worst writer covering the NFL, but he's the one I find the most annoying. This article, in which he fellates Roger Goodell as per the norm for his body of work, is no where near his worst, but I doubt anyone here would be able to read it without a spike in blood pressure.

All of the yahoo NFL guys are pretty terrible, but for my money none of them are as irritating as Mike Silver. What an rear end in a top hat.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The Pro Bowl seriously gets the same ratings as the NLCS and ALCS? That just sounds wrong for some reason.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

The Incredible Ed posted:

This might just be me, but all the stuff I find interesting on Grantland comes from guest columns. Their staff writers are dogshit.

Not necessarily - Zach Lowe, Bill Barnwell and Jonah Keri are pretty excellent. Barnwell is a Football Outsiders alum.

In terms of the pop culture stuff, though, the style really wears on me. Oh boy, another "DIVAWATCH!!!!" article.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

Sash! posted:

The Pro Bowl seriously gets the same ratings as the NLCS and ALCS? That just sounds wrong for some reason.

It only took 100 years but people figured out baseball is really loving boring.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Sash! posted:

The thing about baseball is that it's really regional. It gets amazing ratings for the location in the region, but not as much nationally (because MLB and its affiliated stations are poo poo about marketing nationally like the NFL does). Hey guess what, I don't want to watch the Braves play the Cardinals. I love baseball and I hate those teams.

Whereas the Pro Bowl is football methadone and there's someone from every team so every region has a "stake", and you get to see Aaron Rodgers throw to Victor Cruz and no one plays defense.

I think it would be a nice gesture for the Orioles to change their schedule in deference to the Ravens. They share a complex, and an all day sportsfest party is pretty loving awesome. Philly having 4 professional sports teams in the same block makes for interesting and fun scheduling. During the playoffs when games are scheduled on the same day it really is a block party. But for MLB to bow to NFL because GRR WE MAKE MONEY gently caress YOU is the stupidest thing.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
I think the main reason the Orioles should push back or change is that 1 baseball game doesn't mean too much in the grand scheme of things, even when the season is actually starting to matter. This is the NFL's season opener, the triumphant return of the season, and a season which is only 16 games and each one means a lot. The game is more important to the NFL season than a simple late season Orioles game, even if the Orioles still matter by that point.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

I'm sure the Orioles will see it that way too. :v:

The Orioles have the right to hold on to the night, they don't owe the NFL anything. It'll piss off the city royally though.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
A single game doesn't matter as much, but a Ravens game means literally nothing to the Orioles, even if it means something to you as a sports fan. Just changing stuff alters everything else around it. The Thursday game is the start of a homestand. They're traveling Wednesday after a night game, which means if you move it up to a 1pm start you've pushed up the travel schedule by 6 hours. If you can just shuffle this game, can you also ask Cleveland to move the Wednesday game up to 1pm in deference to the Orioles? They can't just shift poo poo around, it's been fixed for months now. Every change they make changes other stuff.

The "Super Bowl Winner opens the season on a Thursday" thing also means literally nothing. They could play on Sunday or Monday just as easily. It's a recent, self-imposed "tradition" that has no impact on the actual matchup.

Again, I think it would be a nice gesture for the Orioles to be accommodating, but there is no mandate for them to do so and none of the football reasons matter.

vvv We all do, man. We all do.

Badfinger fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 20, 2013

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
I just want to see Peter Angelos mad, cause gently caress that guy. I'd probably still like baseball if it wasn't for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Norv Turner posted:

All of the yahoo NFL guys are pretty terrible, but for my money none of them are as irritating as Mike Silver. What an rear end in a top hat.

Does Silver still do that "tripping on e[mail]" for the letters response that he had back when he was with SI? I always hated that section title and hated him as a result.

But I don't mind Peter King and I miss Paul " Dr. Z" Zimmerman.

• Locked thread