Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Aren't there a couple full-face helms in the game? You might want to try one of those, instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cakeequals
Jun 15, 2011

I'm going to make sweet love to him! FROM THE BACK!!
RRRRRRRRR
I don't think there are any without a visor that gets flipped up during cutscenes though.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Oh Sack +10, we need you now more than ever.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Figures, I'll just roll with it. She got that horned helmet from the first city, and now it looks like she's carrying a concealed hobbit.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

^^^http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Incognito_Mask this might work, but I've never used it myself. Literally a bag for your face.

ChibiSoma posted:

Does a solid LP of this game exist yet? Early on it was kinda comical and rough. People either didn't 'get' the game and fumbled around or they just dropped it midway in when they got bored.

E: vvv That describes basically all that guy's videos. He's like DSP levels of poor gaming skills.

I wanted to do one because I love this fucken game but my xbox is hooked up to one of my computer monitors and apparently I have to buy some weird combination of devices to slam together because capture cards only work for tvs.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

Cakeequals posted:

I don't think there are any without a visor that gets flipped up during cutscenes though.

I think if you're outside of any towns, then the visor's will get automatically flipped down, so any cutscenes that takes place outside will occur with the Arisen's face covered up and vice versa. I wish there was a toggle to choose whether or not you want the visor on or off, like in Mass Effect.

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

Bakalakadaka posted:

^^^http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Incognito_Mask this might work, but I've never used it myself. Literally a bag for your face.

I wanted to do one because I love this fucken game but my xbox is hooked up to one of my computer monitors and apparently I have to buy some weird combination of devices to slam together because capture cards only work for tvs.

An all goon Dragon's Dogma LP would be wonderful. Make up a special pawn and friend the Arisen LPer. Keep the pawns at all the same level for the run and the LPer can rotate pawns in/out between quests.

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Name an open world rpg with better combat, animations, clothing options, ai, lighting, boss battles, character builder, intro music etc.
That's impossible!

Bakalakadaka posted:

I never heard of that. I don't even know what you are talking about. :psyduck:
To capture from the xbox and play on your monitor at the same time you need an HDMI splitter. One signal goes to the capture card, the other to your monitor.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
I missed out on the original Drgaon's Dogma in hopes of getting the PC version which never panned out, but will definitely be picking this re-release one up, can't wait to get another Dark Souls like fix from this. I also noticed in one of the recent clips there was an "online store" option, was this always the case with the base game or is this something new, any idea what will be sold from there?

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
No, there's no option to go online from the merchants in the base game. Dragon's Dogma actually got a quite a few paid DLCs published for it but for most of it are just extra weapons/armors, additional characters customization, etc. Nothing really substantial.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

davidHalestorm posted:

No, there's no option to go online from the merchants in the base game. Dragon's Dogma actually got a quite a few paid DLCs published for it but for most of it are just extra weapons/armors, additional characters customization, etc. Nothing really substantial.

They revealed after announcing Dark Arisen that they didn't put any hooks in to the base code to allow new areas/monsters/etc, which is why Dark Arisen is only being sold stand alone. No clue what the online store option is, but I'm guessing it's either a way to buy things with MSP or just an in-game access to the 'pay money for rift crystals' option from the base game since there's actually a use for them now.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

So I just picked this up today (would've just waited for Dark Arisen, but I found it for $20 so gently caress it), and after having climbed up a dragon to stab it in the head during the tutorial, I can safely declare this the greatest game of all time. However, now they want me to choose a class and I just can't make a decision. I'm torn between Warrior because I <3 two-handed swords, and Assassin because I can't make any of my pawns one. The assassin seems to fit better with what seems fun so far (flipping around and climbing poo poo to stab it in the head), but the Warrior seems so :black101: But if a pawn can be a Warrior, it seems like I should let them take it for the sake of variety... Someone help me choose, please :ohdear:

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Doomsayer posted:

So I just picked this up today (would've just waited for Dark Arisen, but I found it for $20 so gently caress it), and after having climbed up a dragon to stab it in the head during the tutorial, I can safely declare this the greatest game of all time. However, now they want me to choose a class and I just can't make a decision. I'm torn between Warrior because I <3 two-handed swords, and Assassin because I can't make any of my pawns one. The assassin seems to fit better with what seems fun so far (flipping around and climbing poo poo to stab it in the head), but the Warrior seems so :black101: But if a pawn can be a Warrior, it seems like I should let them take it for the sake of variety... Someone help me choose, please :ohdear:

You can change classes at will shortly into the game and also it's based around a 4 person party. No worries, do whatever you feel like doing. Just don't choose to play as a pure spellcaster because it isn't as fun.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
The starting classes are actually Fighter, Strider, and Mage, which are the base classes for pawn or player. Warrior is the Fighter advanced class, and Assassin is a Fighter/Strider hybrid, both of which aren't available until later. Hybrid Classes are only available to you, which includes Assassin, Mystic Knight, and Magick Archer. The Advanced Classes, Warrior, Ranger, and Sorcerer are available to pawns and players.

Pick whatever~
You can pretty much choose to switch it up once you get to the big city, so don't worry about making a bad choice. Just choose something that looks fun to play (strider is fun to play because it has the greatest emphasis on climbing and stabbing)

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

Nahxela posted:

The starting classes are actually Fighter, Strider, and Mage, which are the base classes for pawn or player. Warrior is the Fighter advanced class, and Assassin is a Fighter/Strider hybrid, both of which aren't available until later. Hybrid Classes are only available to you, which includes Assassin, Mystic Knight, and Magick Archer. The Advanced Classes, Warrior, Ranger, and Sorcerer are available to pawns and players.

Pick whatever~
You can pretty much choose to switch it up once you get to the big city, so don't worry about making a bad choice. Just choose something that looks fun to play (strider is fun to play because it has the greatest emphasis on climbing and stabbing)

Sorry, to be clear I read the OP and I realize those are advanced classes and that it's based around a 4-person party, hence my hemming and hawing over whether to pick the PC-exclusive one, or the one with the big gently caress-off sword. I was looking ahead to determine which starting class I should pick. If I can switch later than wooo that answers my question!

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Yeah, you can max out several vocations in your first playthrough. I would look into fighter and strider first, since they offer perks that let you carry more weight and move faster under load, and you can use them no matter your current vocation.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Doomsayer posted:

PC-exclusive one

I got really excited for a moment because I thought I had missed news of a PC release with exclusive content before I realized you meant Player Character.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Doomsayer posted:

Sorry, to be clear I read the OP and I realize those are advanced classes and that it's based around a 4-person party, hence my hemming and hawing over whether to pick the PC-exclusive one, or the one with the big gently caress-off sword. I was looking ahead to determine which starting class I should pick. If I can switch later than wooo that answers my question!

There is nothing more satisfying than hitting enemies with a big gently caress-you 5-health-bar-depleting Arc of Deliverance as a warrior.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
Sure there is.

Casting high maelstrom into a group of fire wolves. :getin:

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
It's the small things I love. Things you don't plan to happen but end up being way more fun than what you were expecting.

I was gonna go get revenge on a chimera that was out by the stone fortress near where the Dragonforged and his idiot-man are lounging, since he wiped me out earlier on. Unfortunately I wasn't minding the time of day, so I reached the fortress at sunset. I went out past it to try and find where the chimera was pacing, but it was nowhere to be seen.

You know what was there? Every dire wolf that's ever existed in history. No joke, I was fighting packs of dire wolves from sunset to mid-morning the next day. It was a continuous stream of them. I'm pretty sure I've rendered them extinct. A pack of skeletons got raised at some point, but I barely noticed them because a god drat cyclops had set up camp nearby, and one of my rogue arrows bounced off his head and made him get up and lumber on over to join in the war.

I went for a simple chimera kill and ended up in one of the longest continuous fights I've ever had in a game and it was awesome.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Just got the game and will be playing it after I finish up Dead Space 3. I'd love to have goon pawns and the like. Is there a list of goons I should be adding on XBOX LIVE? I didn't see one in the OP. Or does it even matter, can I not pick whose pawns I get?

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Jastiger posted:

Just got the game and will be playing it after I finish up Dead Space 3. I'd love to have goon pawns and the like. Is there a list of goons I should be adding on XBOX LIVE? I didn't see one in the OP. Or does it even matter, can I not pick whose pawns I get?

The xbox goons are in the lower part of the spreadsheet in the op.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Quick question. I'm on NG+ and loving the game, but I don't want to read up on a wiki and spoil the stuff I missed. Both the dragon and the seneschal ask you to walk away when you face them, is that an actual option or do you have to fight either way?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Donnerberg posted:

Quick question. I'm on NG+ and loving the game, but I don't want to read up on a wiki and spoil the stuff I missed. Both the dragon and the seneschal ask you to walk away when you face them, is that an actual option or do you have to fight either way?

They give you a unique ending and then gives you the normal retry/checkpoint/etc death menu. There's achievements for every way of ending the game, including fighting the Seneschal and losing.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Brief new Dark Arisen trailer showing off more new enemies.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Animated stone statues? Heck yes.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Dark Arisen will apparently be getting an install feature (PS3), for faster load times and possibly even better textures too, can't wait for this.

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?

ChibiSoma posted:

It's the small things I love. Things you don't plan to happen but end up being way more fun than what you were expecting.

I was gonna go get revenge on a chimera that was out by the stone fortress near where the Dragonforged and his idiot-man are lounging, since he wiped me out earlier on. Unfortunately I wasn't minding the time of day, so I reached the fortress at sunset. I went out past it to try and find where the chimera was pacing, but it was nowhere to be seen.

You know what was there? Every dire wolf that's ever existed in history. No joke, I was fighting packs of dire wolves from sunset to mid-morning the next day. It was a continuous stream of them. I'm pretty sure I've rendered them extinct. A pack of skeletons got raised at some point, but I barely noticed them because a god drat cyclops had set up camp nearby, and one of my rogue arrows bounced off his head and made him get up and lumber on over to join in the war.

I went for a simple chimera kill and ended up in one of the longest continuous fights I've ever had in a game and it was awesome.

This is the stuff I love. I mean I had mentioned earlier I think one of my favorite moments was watching my giant slab of a pawn wrestle a Gorechimera off a ledge. He did NOT like that Gorechimera. I was there kicking some wolves in the face or some poo poo with my Assassin, and there he goes wrasslin' a drat Gorechimera off a ledge. I can almost picture my lead guy feeling a bit inadequate at that moment.

I'll never forget my FIRST run in with a Chimera; it was after I left the Encampment and decided to go exploring. With just Rook, mind you. I hadn't hired new pawns yet. I had managed to level a few times off of regular stuff, but then I ran into the Chimera, which proceeded to eat me. I wasn't having any of that, so I went back-and in an epic, extremely long battle managed to kill the thing. We were both in the red of HP, there we no healing items left, I simply tried to slowly crawl back to the Encampment while trying to scrounge for the odd berry or something now and then to eat. It was wonderful.

Then there was me finding out I could get Guts and Griffith armor. It was my first time through the game, so I really didn't know the tricks yet. I did the quest for the guy(not without pain with those ogres-at a low level and enclosed they were pretty nasty), and then set out to figure out how to farm the money to get the outfits for both my main and pawn. I then noticed that Sour Beast Steak sold for a lot. I could have proceeded with the story-but no, it would not do-I HAD to have that armor.

Those poor, poor oxen. I think more of them died to get that armor than people in all of the Berserk manga itself. (I also I think audibly giggled when I saw the Witchwood.)

...Ahh sorry, I was fading out in memories a bit. I think I might have to pull out that replay now. :allears:

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Im_Special posted:

Dark Arisen will apparently be getting an install feature (PS3), for faster load times and possibly even better textures too, can't wait for this.

It already had install times? During the intro with the default arisen.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
To your left: They're masterworks alllll.
To your right: The endless void of terror and despair!

:psyduck: That just happened. If I had known the game went this far up its own rear end after you fought and beat the dragon, I would've done it way sooner. That was a surprisingly interesting fight. A little clunky, but what isn't. I'm a Ranger, I didn't have any issues hittin' him. And then I stoned back to Gran Soren and everything went right to poo poo.

Bet Duke Wizenedbeard there is doubly mad at me. I broke his city and stole his wife.

Walked from the starting town to the pawn camp and good lord at those enemies. Gonna take awhile to get gear that's good enough to actually hurt a lot of these things, isn't it? I beat the game right around 40-41, so I'm probably a bit underleveled for the post-game.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

ChibiSoma posted:

To your left: They're masterworks alllll.
To your right: The endless void of terror and despair!

:psyduck: That just happened. If I had known the game went this far up its own rear end after you fought and beat the dragon, I would've done it way sooner. That was a surprisingly interesting fight. A little clunky, but what isn't. I'm a Ranger, I didn't have any issues hittin' him. And then I stoned back to Gran Soren and everything went right to poo poo.

Bet Duke Wizenedbeard there is doubly mad at me. I broke his city and stole his wife.

Walked from the starting town to the pawn camp and good lord at those enemies. Gonna take awhile to get gear that's good enough to actually hurt a lot of these things, isn't it? I beat the game right around 40-41, so I'm probably a bit underleveled for the post-game.

You level up pretty quickly once you reach Gran Soren again. The trek back there after killing the Dragon was one of my favorite parts when playing the game, just because of how the game takes the kid gloves off and proceeds to pummel you in the face until you learn to stop being so bad at it.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

ChibiSoma posted:

He's not that mad. Honestly, he didn't like his new wife very much at all, so you're probably good on that count. No, he's pissed because you have more strength of will than he did.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

ChibiSoma posted:

You should have fancy new weapons for whatever class you were when you beat the dragon, and it dragonforged everything you were wearing. It should be manageable with that.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

jonjonaug posted:

You level up pretty quickly once you reach Gran Soren again. The trek back there after killing the Dragon was one of my favorite parts when playing the game, just because of how the game takes the kid gloves off and proceeds to pummel you in the face until you learn to stop being so bad at it.

I wish the post game wasn't so dark. One of the reasons I moved on was that it was always dark and hard to see things.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
God drat kill-stealing ocean! :argh:

Went venturing out from Gran Soren (I Ferrystone'd there after getting to the pawn camp) to see what the surrounding area was like. Decided to travel to the Dragonforged's place to see if his pawn had anything to say. A blue dragon popped up around the abandoned castle out there, and I ran for it. On the way back, I figured what the hell and engaged it.

Got one of its life bars down and it took to the skies. I thought I'd be clever and try shooting it down to insta-kill it. I'd knocked cyclops and ogres off cliffs and still got the XP for killing it, after all. I figured dropping a dragon into the sea would do the same! It fell into the ocean and never came back up. But I didn't get anything. It wasn't until I was nearly back at the bridge that a Quest Failed alert came up. :mad: Poseidon did not approve of my offering, it seems!

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

There really should have been a way to rate and comment on pawns that die in your service. My main pawn and one of the rented ones fell off into the bottomless pit for reasons unknown in that cave with the parcels. I had only a rented mage pawn, and I missed the right off-ramp from the slippery slopes at the end so I had to loop back around with respawned monsters. I ignored a lot of the enemies the second time, which came back to bite us in the rear end. They trailed behind us because most of the traversal is vertical in the same area. It was a mess, but the pawn carried his weight.

We were stuck against two ghosts at the end. One was super powered because it had hit critical mass from sucking on the pawn. Killing the super ghost took ages because it didn't try to possess people. I wasn't exactly thrilled when the second one leeched on to him when it was nearly dead, and he was caught on some terrain a fair distance away from me. Thankfully, as the hero he was, the mage pawn fell off into the depths, plummeting to certain death with the ghost caught in his hair. I would've given that pawn a post-humous Purple Medal and my finest pair of upgraded pants if the game had let me.

I know I could search for and rehire him, but stuff I read here lead me to believe rehiring pawns can delete some feedback and rewards. I'm not going to risk pants being deleted.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 14, 2013

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So I've been out of the loop on things Dragon's Dogma for a while. How's Dark Arisen going to work again? It's not an expansion, you have to buy the game again, but they have something for people who had the original game to make up for buying it twice? I remember some article saying that but I wasn't clear.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
They're going to give you a grip of items to make up for charging you $70-$100 for their video game.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Any word on what those goodies are? It's important that they look cool most of all because dressing up my mans is absolutely the point of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
From the DD Wikia:

quote:

Furthermore, owners of the original Dragon’s Dogma will receive 100,000 Rift Crystals, unlimited Ferrystones and the Gransys Armour Pack consisting of six brand new costumes for free, upon purchasing Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen.

• Locked thread