Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bunny Cuddlin
Dec 12, 2004
Jesus loving christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Zombywuf posted:

Nah, the point is that you leave the number of rounds open-ended, you can set it based on the amount of time between the user typing their password the first time and clicking the "Save Password" button. Makes life really hard for brute forcers as there's no definite "this is the wrong password" result. There is a name for the scheme and I can't remember what it's called.

Halting key derivation functions? http://ai.stanford.edu/~xb/security07/index.html

DaTroof fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 5, 2013

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Zombywuf posted:

Nope, not that. You're missing the point about it being open ended time-wise. You can use whatever iteration system you want, I would recommend that you do use bcrypt. That bit of code I dumped is not meant to be something you copy and paste into your app. The entire point of the system is to make hashes that depend on human time scales, and get more secure storage by the user simply waiting a few seconds. Obviously you need to use a secure password hash iteration system to do it.

What happens when an attacker submits dozens or hundreds of passwords to this system at once? Does it mean any legitimate users at the same time end up with less-stretched hashes because there are fewer clock cycles per wall clock second? Do legitimate users trying to log in fail because their old hash lies beyond the wrong-password expiration time?

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Zombywuf posted:

Nope, not that. You're missing the point about it being open ended time-wise. You can use whatever iteration system you want, I would recommend that you do use bcrypt. That bit of code I dumped is not meant to be something you copy and paste into your app. The entire point of the system is to make hashes that depend on human time scales, and get more secure storage by the user simply waiting a few seconds. Obviously you need to use a secure password hash iteration system to do it.

Then basically all you're advocating here is dynamically changing the work factor for bcrypt so it takes a second on whatever server you're running on...which is way more work than just knocking that number up every year or so. Regardless, the "human second" only exists in how long your particular hardware takes to do whatever hashing you're talking about. The UberHasherBox 8000 attacking your leaked database will probably be doing the operations way faster.

The idea of having the hash run for an actual second also means that passwords hashed while the server is under heavy load will be hashed more weakly so :shrug:

Jabor posted:

Coding horrors: The horror is coming from inside the thread

Funking Giblet
Jun 28, 2004

Jiglightful!
I can't believe what I'm reading. Jesus Christ.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

That looks like it.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

What happens when an attacker submits dozens or hundreds of passwords to this system at once? Does it mean any legitimate users at the same time end up with less-stretched hashes because there are fewer clock cycles per wall clock second? Do legitimate users trying to log in fail because their old hash lies beyond the wrong-password expiration time?

That's just a good old dos, assuming timeouts anyone can simply swamp the login server and any system that makes hashes harder to compute will only make this worse.

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007

Zombywuf posted:

That looks like it.

That's just a good old dos, assuming timeouts anyone can simply swamp the login server and any system that makes hashes harder to compute will only make this worse.

No the point of that question is that the submitting a bunch of new logins is a preflight attack to the main attack. At some prior time you perform a near-ddos level of new account creation using your botnet, thus any REAL accounts created during that time get a lot less CPU time in relation to Wall time, meaning those hashes are MUCH weaker than normal. Then the main attack acquires the passwords including these much weaker ones.

In short, stop trying to outsmart scrypt. It's right.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

https://www.facebook.com/notes/facebook-engineering/under-the-hood-dalvik-patch-for-facebook-for-android/10151345597798920

Facebook for Android modifies the VM it runs in on older Android versions to allow it to work even with a 65k method limit Dalvik restricts apps to (65k according to this bug report: https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=20814).

Wow.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
HKDF might make sense for a system that is already tightly controlled, where anyone using it has training and has otherwise been granted access to this based on merits, accountability, etc. Stuff like multi-factor auth is already in play and anyone with a login understands to take it seriously and it's unlikely they're gonna have a DB leak.

Doing this on a consumer grade site like Linkedin or banks or whatever I'd be worried about the amount of trust you're putting into users (read: the general public at large), Unless you put an upper limit on t you're bound to have some clueless % of your userbase getting lost on the password setup and continually spiking the hell out of your system every time they log in. Educating the majority is a task enough, but some people are incorrigible. Put large flashing glittery instructions in a huge font about what they're supposed to do, and those people are going to sit at that page for 30 seconds, wonder what it's doing, go back to facebook, get some coffee, and maybe 20 minutes after that they'll revisit the page and go "Well it's got to be done now, I guess I'll click finish?". I guess the upside is they'll stop going to your site after, say, the first login :v:

Even if you put say a 5 second limit on t, IMO you're still taking the "make the hashing expensive" to an extreme at the expense of your own server stability (or server costs if you're smart and purchase extra hardware to farm out all the HKDF tasks so that the post-login experience doesn't suffer) , user experience (you'd have to be a UE supergenius to make this have trivial impact on things like conversion, retention...), and don't forget power bills when you're pegging CPUs this regularly. It only makes sense in special scenarios like an internal company site where anyone with access to it is an employee or partner and you have a large amount of control over its users and its usage.

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 5, 2013

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Glimm posted:

Facebook for Android modifies the VM it runs in on older Android versions to allow it to work even with a 65k method limit Dalvik restricts apps to (65k according to this bug report:
My understand of the report is that the 5 MB LinearAlloc limit is distinct from the the 64k method limit, so it's quite likely that the Facebook app contains far fewer than 64k methods.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

teamdest posted:

No the point of that question is that the submitting a bunch of new logins is a preflight attack to the main attack. At some prior time you perform a near-ddos level of new account creation using your botnet, thus any REAL accounts created during that time get a lot less CPU time in relation to Wall time, meaning those hashes are MUCH weaker than normal. Then the main attack acquires the passwords including these much weaker ones.
So hash on the client.

quote:

In short, stop trying to outsmart scrypt. It's right.

Take it up with the authors.

Bhaal posted:

I guess the upside is they'll stop going to your site after, say, the first login :v:

This is an added bonus I hadn't considered.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Zombywuf posted:

So hash on the client.

Replay attacks?

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

nielsm posted:

Replay attacks?

SSL?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Zombywuf posted:

So hash on the client.
If the whole point of hashing passwords is so that someone who obtains a database dump can't obtain useful credentials from it, then how does pushing the crypto work onto untrusted clients help at all?

A malicious client will just send you the hash from the DB.

The way password hashing prevents that is by making the process of obtaining useful credential from a database dump computationally infeasible (or at least very difficult). There's no way of doing that, that doesn't also require the authentication agent (server) do something that's computationally "challenging".

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

ExcessBLarg! posted:

If the whole point of hashing passwords is so that someone who obtains a database dump can't obtain useful credentials from it, then how does pushing the crypto work onto untrusted clients help at all?

A malicious client will just send you the hash from the DB.

Lol yeah, let's just pretend I didn't say that bit.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

The Gripper posted:

Definitely, I only mentioned it because that specific case (trying to find a user with the password "abc123" when you know that user exists) isn't one where a per-user salt really shines, an attacker could perform the attack in short order either way.

How?

ctz
Feb 6, 2003
This thread is dangerously close to becoming self-referential.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

This thread is on time-out while you think about what you did wrong.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Coming back to coding horrors (I hope that was what we did wrong :ohdear:):

The other day I was tasked to look at a 2 character input field of a form (think 'en'/'de'/'fr'/...) . Users reported that the field behaved weirdly and was hard to edit.

Well, how would you make an html input field accept only 2 characters? Well obviously you would use a standard input field and write a bit of javascript that reacts on keydown and on change, monitors keystrokes and only accepts backspace once 2 characters are in the field.

:psyduck:

Sereri fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Mar 6, 2013

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Not exactly a coding horror, but the IMAP rfc deserves to be here:

rfc3501 6.3.8 posted:

An empty ("" string) mailbox name argument is a special request to
return the hierarchy delimiter and the root name of the name given
in the reference. The value returned as the root MAY be the empty
string if the reference is non-rooted or is an empty string. In
all cases, a hierarchy delimiter (or NIL if there is no hierarchy)
is returned. This permits a client to get the hierarchy delimiter
(or find out that the mailbox names are flat) even when no
mailboxes by that name currently exist.

The path delimiter in IMAP is implementation defined and has to be fetched with a special empty LIST command on each connection to the server. Assuming the server supports paths which it might not. IMAP servers can also support namespaces, which are not paths.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
What possible reason could there be to have an implementation-defined path separator?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

pokeyman posted:

What possible reason could there be to have an implementation-defined path separator?

A logical guess would be an implementation storing individual mailboxes as separate files, and then you'd obviously want to use the same path separator as the underlying file system.

I'm pretty sure this was from before the days before anyone had any idea what this "security" thing was or why it was important.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Jabor posted:

A logical guess would be an implementation storing individual mailboxes as separate files, and then you'd obviously want to use the same path separator as the underlying file system.

You'd think the benefit of using your system's native path separator gets undone by dealing with the additional protocol complexity. Maybe this is why I don't write RFCs.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

pokeyman posted:

You'd think the benefit of using your system's native path separator gets undone by dealing with the additional protocol complexity. Maybe this is why I don't write RFCs.

Sure, but that complexity is on the client end.

A more charitable explanation would be that people had already built implementations with different path separators, and the standardization group went for a compromise that meant that no-one would have to change anything.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Tumblr ask box messages have the following restrictions: they must be 500 characters or less, they can't contain links, and they cannot contain newlines. The first two are presumably anti-spam measures (though they're fairly annoying) and are enforced both with client-side javascript and serverside; if you disable the javascript handlers that cut you off, the message just gets silently dropped. Hilariously, they will also drop messages like 'foo...bar' silently or no good reason.

The last one is only enforced client side. If you disable the Javascript interval that trims newlines, you can submit them just fine. It's awful.

Clavius
Oct 21, 2007

Howdy!
Done with table mountain for now but there's plenty more horror in the main site. The first thing I see is hundreds upon hundreds of raw .html files in the main dir, each with 300 lines of identical horrendous code for the header alone. I don't even know where to begin.

A choice one from the 300, all on one line:

code:
<td onmousemove="$(this).css('background', '#343434')"
onmouseout="$(this).css('background', 'none')" width="150"
align="center"><a class="topMenu"
href="techsupport.html">Technical Support</a></td>
<td class="topMenuDivider"></td>
Wish me luck, I'm goin in.

Clavius fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 7, 2013

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Constantly finding surprises from previous developers. Today I found a script that has the following sequence:

code:
if ($a = 1 and $b = 1) {
  if ($x and !$z) {
    #Execute query with params val1a, val2, val3
  } elsif ($y and !z) {
  } elsif ($z) {
  }
elsif ($a = 1 and $b = 2) {
  if ($x and !$z) {
    #Execute query with params val1b, val2, val3
  } elsif ($y and !z) {
  } elsif ($z) {
  }
} elsif ($a = 1 and $b = 3) {
  if ($x and !$z) {
    #Execute query with params val1c, val2, val3
  } elsif ($y and !z) {
  } elsif ($z) {
  }
} #Repeat for three more elsif blocks with a longer query
This is all around line 3000 of a 4.5k line file.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
The hell kind of language has "elsif"?

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
Perl and Ruby. Python one-ups both with 'elif'.

That Turkey Story
Mar 30, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

There's #elif in the C and C++ preprocessor.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
Also Ruby.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

That Turkey Story posted:

There's #elif in the C and C++ preprocessor.

I asked about "elsif". Apparently it's Perl.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Yeah, it's Perl. Most of the applications developed in house were written in Perl, usually as a proof of concept that somehow found its way into production.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

So the assignments instead of equality tests notwithstanding, either they're not using strict mode, or they named a sub "z" elsewhere and so it didn't barf on "!z" when they meant "!$z." I am assuming the former but everything else in there makes me think the latter isn't out of the question either :cry:

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Ephphatha posted:

usually as a proof of concept that somehow found its way into production.

The story of so many things....

No wait, don't seriously ship that, it's....aww :eng99:

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Always assume it will go into production, because it almost always will.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

kitten smoothie posted:

So the assignments instead of equality tests notwithstanding, either they're not using strict mode, or they named a sub "z" elsewhere and so it didn't barf on "!z" when they meant "!$z." I am assuming the former but everything else in there makes me think the latter isn't out of the question either :cry:

Ahh gently caress, that's me spending too much time debugging lovely SQR forms. And yeah, I'm not sure what's going on with the operations since the inner if/elses could easily be ommitted (since one of x, y, or z will always be true) or rewritten to check if ($z or $x or $y). There's no standards for coding style so code is a mix of 'use Module' and 'require "module.pm"' (all usually declared at the top of the file thankfully) with some files using a BEGIN {} block, some defining a sub main procedure, and some just defining a set of instructions before the subs are declared with no special marker (a great example of this is a 800 line file with a 100 line header and all of 5 lines of code between it and the procedures).

Edit: use strict seems to be included in (some) code written after 2007. -w is almost never used.

ephphatha fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Mar 7, 2013

Fuoco
Jan 3, 2009
I saw an ad on my site essentially doing the following:

code:
<script>
document.write('<noscript>Some text</noscript>');
</script>
Using JavaScript to write a noscript element???? :psyduck:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Fuoco posted:

I saw an ad on my site essentially doing the following:

code:
<script>
document.write('<noscript>Some text</noscript>');
</script>
Using JavaScript to write a noscript element???? :psyduck:

From the outside it looks silly, but it's probably a combination of

AdServer:
code:

fetch $ad.
Output
<script>
document.write('$ad');
</script>

Ad ingestion:
code:

$ad.replace('<', "& lt;")
$ad = "<noscript>$ad</noscript>"

Awful app is making it impossible to output & lt; without spaces. Even tried replacing & with & amp; :eng99:

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Suspicious Dish posted:

In addition to the ones already mentioned, VHDL. From which I assume that it's probably also in Ada. So there's quite a number and I frankly don't see what it is you found odd about it v:)v