Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

once you have seen the 3:2 pulldown, you cannot unsee it

do not attempt to see it just enjoy content and say gently caress it. its a huge money hole you will go down and it never stops

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

lol if you watch movies without a 24hz device that decimates each frame for exactly the same amount of time

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

I prefer DLP technology as they update 240 times a second with a black frame insertion for 1/240th of a second each 10 cycles on 24P material

that means you get sharper, more defined cadence becuase black frame insertion clears the screen completely before updating to the next frame.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

pagancow posted:

once you have seen the 3:2 pulldown, you cannot unsee it

do not attempt to see it just enjoy content and say gently caress it. its a huge money hole you will go down and it never stops

i can totally see 3:2 pulldown but it doesn't bother me. 24 fps stuff sped up to fit into an even multiple of 50 though? that poo poo is grating

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

pagancow posted:

I prefer DLP technology as they update 240 times a second with a black frame insertion for 1/240th of a second each 10 cycles on 24P material

that means you get sharper, more defined cadence becuase black frame insertion clears the screen completely before updating to the next frame.

dlp does own except when the color wheel gets a cat hair in the air bearing and you have to replace it.

~the yosposters burden~

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

dlp does own except when the color wheel gets a cat hair in the air bearing and you have to replace it.

~the yosposters burden~

lol if your DLP isnt LED based

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

my dlp is from the mid 2000s and is 720p

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my pixels only update 4 times a second so any horrible grating pull down is blurred out supremacy

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

my dlp is from the mid 2000s and is 720p

how bad is ur input lag

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that's what she said

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

how bad is ur input lag

oddly enough the tv has a game mode where it all but eliminates it. i just set all inputs to use game mode

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

oddly enough the tv has a game mode where it all but eliminates it. i just set all inputs to use game mode

oh so its not that old. early samsung dlps were almost unusable for veideo james.

almost any newer input device prob. has better post proc anyway

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
can my video codec be a piece of poo poo too? i use .bik to watch all my tentacle animes

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

bink is ranked up there with top ten worst codecs so...

dat interface

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

echinopsis posted:

can I be the first to say that framerates are gay?

also can't WE just make a standard for looping h264 with a header that defines framerates and 1 video stream alone and that's all

yos264

you just did it

now write me a firefox plugin tia

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Chances are we could do it in the forums but it would require a lot of code and restrictions

I'd say:

• up to 1280px in any dimension
  • Up to 1mb per image
  • Sound wont play, so :dealwithit:
  • find an image host because lol bandwith
  • My guess would be level 3.1 maximum because of browsers, compatibility and other bs that comes with AVC
  • only 1 per post. Imagine loading 40 looping .mp4s on a page. Wonder what that does to browsers.

You would have to create code somewhere that could check the level of the file before displaying it. Not sure how well level enforcement would work because you can always change the header yourself.

It wouldn't work on 99% of browser/hardware configurations like .gif does

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

yeah cell companies did the same thing. my old roomate got an offer from ATT or us cellular or whoever offering him their most baller (at the time) phone for free just so they could get his 10 year old analog phone off the network. his options were take the baller phone, take any other phone he wanted, or be dropped.

same thing happened to me but with Verizon shutting off the old Alltel infrastructure. of course verizon being verizon my options were to purchase a new phone myself or get a subsidized phone on a new more expensive tiered contract which i was due for anyway.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pagancow posted:

Chances are we could do it in the forums but it would require a lot of code and restrictions

I'd say:

• up to 1280px in any dimension
  • Up to 1mb per image
  • Sound wont play, so :dealwithit:
  • find an image host because lol bandwith
  • My guess would be level 3.1 maximum because of browsers, compatibility and other bs that comes with AVC
  • only 1 per post. Imagine loading 40 looping .mp4s on a page. Wonder what that does to browsers.

You would have to create code somewhere that could check the level of the file before displaying it. Not sure how well level enforcement would work because you can always change the header yourself.

It wouldn't work on 99% of browser/hardware configurations like .gif does

whats level mean?
are the rest of the restrictions simply so poo poo wouldnt completely freeze up?

im literally talking about an 264 version of animated gif... i gues my wonder is, would it be better value for bit?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Gota think about mobile devices. Some may only support level 3.1

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC#section_8

Levels are a self set of limitations for if a file can play back or not. It's there because avc can scale from postage Stamp sized video for kids toys to quad core i7 needed for playback.

Most mobiles can play up to level 3.0. Even old iPhones supported it.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

got dat wmd posted:

Reminder that pagan cow literally camps armour in q1

Welcome to the OWN ZONE.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
this is a/v postin right

idk why i bought these but they looked like a steal for $8

whats with the plug on the sony microphone though, same with the switch on it. also i should be able to get an adaptor and just use it with my computor right

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

whats level mean?
are the rest of the restrictions simply so poo poo wouldnt completely freeze up?

im literally talking about an 264 version of animated gif... i gues my wonder is, would it be better value for bit?

grats you invented Vine

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
oh

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
it's okay I really like vine

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

i dont "get" vine

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
it's six second videos
I mean I guess if you're really dumb and can't understand that it's a medium and not a content then there would be confusion but then that's like not getting twitter because you don't understand how people can say anything in 140 characters

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

its that im really dumb

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

ahmeni posted:

it's six second videos
I mean I guess if you're really dumb and can't understand that it's a medium and not a content then there would be confusion but then that's like not getting twitter because you don't understand how people can say anything in 140 characters

people say that all the time just fyi

im mad theres no vine for android

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

yep just got the vine app, will sasso has helped me understand vine now

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

nigga crab pollock posted:

people say that all the time just fyi

im mad theres no vine for android

those people also dumb but lol @ android

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
gonna be cool when everyone forgets about vine in 8 months. like every other vaguely social thing that releases solely on ios and the web

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Oh man everybody is going to post .mp4 files because its so ea..

oh

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Just want to let everybody know I dont completely understand what every setting does in that box

think about that....

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

im the uneven multi-hexagon :whatup:

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

pagancow posted:

Just want to let everybody know I dont completely understand what every setting does in that box

think about that....

seems all pretty self explanatory???
someone post ham_radio_software.png

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

ahmeni posted:

seems all pretty self explanatory???
someone post ham_radio_software.png

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

yesssss

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
i see some ham radio in there, but it's being eaten by some.... linux.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

nigga crab pollock posted:

im glad theres no vine for android

FTFY

• Locked thread