Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
The wacky adventures of President Juice and VP Goon Prospect could almost redeem the series.

REDWOOD ORIGINAL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chesh
Apr 19, 2004

That was terrible.

Donny Brook posted:

I hate to say it, but I would have been okay with Opie dying if he got to take Clay with him.

That's all I wanted. For Opie to get a little payback. :(

See, Opie's death would have made PERFECT sense if he's gone out killing Clay, if he'd killed Clay and then met "Mister Mayhem" (I can not believe they show horned that in in season 5), or if he had somehow betrayed the club. His standing up for the club would have made more sense if he'd been there, 100% engaged in the episodes leading up to his death, instead of chopping wood.

Basically, they straddled the line poorly and pissed every possible watcher off.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Opie's entire run on this show was just depressing. Everyone he cares about dies, leaves or changes on him and then he dies in a really stupid and meaningless way for a friend that probably eventually would have used him to save his own rear end anyway.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Opie's entire run on this show was just depressing. Everyone he cares about dies, leaves or changes on him and then he dies in a really stupid and meaningless way for a friend that probably eventually would have used him to save his own rear end anyway.

Meaningless is the best way to describe Opie's death, and I remember at the time how hard Sutter tried to back sell it as an 'honorable, warrior's death.'

Pretty sure that's a direct quote from an interview actually. lmao

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

1st AD posted:

What is Kurt Sutter's deal? I try not to judge the show too harshly on it's treatment of women and minorities because of the setting and characters, but goddamn this is a really misogynistic and racist show.

My "nope" moment came around the time that Tig called two (I think Salvadorean?) "jizz-buckets" (Tig's or someone's words) of his who burned alive when the black bad guys burned down the Son's arms depot refried beans. That was the pilot.

I'm literally amazed anyone else kept up after that.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Mr. Carlisle posted:

It's a fitting commentary on the show itself.

Mexcillent posted:

My "nope" moment came around the time that Tig called two (I think Salvadorean?) "jizz-buckets" (Tig's or someone's words) of his who burned alive when the black bad guys burned down the Son's arms depot refried beans. That was the pilot.

I think the problem is the show mismatches the tone a bit. They're a 1%er gang; they're supposed to be a bunch of irredeemable racists and misogynists in addition to career criminals. But they're also the lovable scamps who get out of their weekly pickle with Boss Hogg. Is this supposed to be a serious examination on the role of a criminal gang in preserving a small town from the encroachment of the modern corporate monoculture while slowly sucking the life out of it, or is it the A-Team on motorcycles? Sutter seems to jump back and forth between the two at random.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 7, 2013

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Mexcillent posted:

Oh, I remember that scene vividly. I don't mind it so much when it's one character that's repugnant, there's one in many shows, but in 5 seasons of this show Tig has managed to become among the most likeable simply due to other characters falling all over themselves to wring every last drop of stale sweat from Satan's loincloth on their souls.

Chibs is about the only decent person left in Samcro with Unser being a sympathetic character as well (despite being total doormat); though Unser was chief of police that has since become the Sons bitch and has been terminally ill with cancer for what'll be going 6 seasons now.

But your "nope" moment, which was something I originally construed as a trait for one particular character, in time revealed itself to be a trait of the head writer, producer and showrunner, Kurt Sutter; and it has since permeated to virtually every character on the show.

At this point many of us in the thread are actively rooting for the antagonists because they're actually more likeable (i.e. less rotten) than the people we're intended to be siding with.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I don't think Juice is an awful person. He makes questionable choices as the result of internal turmoil. He's definitely out for himself, but he's mostly a decent human.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Juice has demonstrated several times that he'd sell anyone out to save himself, but within the context of the show he could feasibly be wearing a halo.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Getting rid of Hale was a huge mistake. He was the moral heart of the show that saw both the good and bad aspects of both sides.

trotski
Mar 26, 2009
Remember when Juice used to hack stuff? That was cool.

Now he just cries a lot.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
While we're picking apart the show, what's with all these bikers that aren't snorting coke like 24/7?

It really takes me out of the moment that every scene doesn't start or end with someone's nose on a mirror.

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

watt par posted:

Is this supposed to be a serious examination on the role of a criminal gang in preserving a small town from the encroachment of the modern corporate monoculture while slowly sucking the life out of it, or is it the A-Team on motorcycles? Sutter seems to jump back and forth between the two at random.

I first watched this show when I did a binge through it around November. Since then, I did another run through the series. What you just said here has made this show so much clearer. I wasn't sure what the gently caress Sutter/the show's problem was. But this, I think, nails it so perfectly.

One episode can be pretty drat solid, i.e. the season 3 finale. Then another episode comes along and I find myself laughing at how loving absurd it is. See: Jax and Gaelen fist fighting outside of a barn before the Mexican cartel(C.I.A. :ssh: shows up). What the gently caress.

:shrug: And now we have a former U.S. Marshal/Green Beret to look forward to in season 6. Is Kurt Sutter trying to fit his every Mary-Sue/Stu ever into this show.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

harlequin baby posted:

:shrug: And now we have a former U.S. Marshal/Green Beret to look forward to in season 6. Is Kurt Sutter trying to fit his every Mary-Sue/Stu ever into this show.

If I watch next season, it'll be purely out of my loyalty to Donal Logue (:worship:Terriers) and to watch his character torment Samcro before being unceremoniously killed off to restore the status-quo riding into the sunset with Venus Van Dam.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

harlequin baby posted:

I first watched this show when I did a binge through it around November. Since then, I did another run through the series. What you just said here has made this show so much clearer. I wasn't sure what the gently caress Sutter/the show's problem was. But this, I think, nails it so perfectly.

You watched the entire series twice in three months?

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

Junkenstein posted:

You watched the entire series twice in three months?

Yes. I am pretty ashamed of myself. Though, to some extent, the second time around some episodes were more white noise on the other monitor than me actually engaged in watching it. I'm sure you all can parse which episodes those were.

Ghostpilot posted:

If I watch next season, it'll be purely out of my loyalty to Donal Logue (:worship:Terriers) and to watch his character torment Samcro before being unceremoniously killed off to restore the status-quo riding into the sunset with Venus Van Dam.

I'll be watching the hell out of season 6. I think this is the only show I have ever hate watched. Then again, it isn't really hate watching when I find myself laughing more and more each episode at the most inappropriate moments. (Is that indicative of some sort of mania?) Then there is Season 7, which is rumored to have the Bilderberg group hiring the Sons for protection from Alex Jones. :tinfoil:

Kempo Yellow Belt fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 8, 2013

Donny Brook
Jul 23, 2007

Hello Ladies

Rest In Peace
Dave
(aka Donny Brook)
1963-2013
Goonspeed, friend

Junkenstein posted:

Getting rid of Hale was a huge mistake. He was the moral heart of the show that saw both the good and bad aspects of both sides.

Anybody paying a little attention will note that the episode they killed Hale in was the very last time the show was consistantly good. a few minutes later, Jax is on his way to Ireland.

gently caress you Kurt Sutter.*

*From now on, I'm ending all my SoA posts with "gently caress you Kurt Sutter."

solovyov
Feb 23, 2006

LAWYER FIGHT

Donny Brook posted:

Anybody paying a little attention will note that the episode they killed Hale in was the very last time the show was consistantly good. a few minutes later, Jax is on his way to Ireland.

gently caress you Kurt Sutter.*

*From now on, I'm ending all my SoA posts with "gently caress you Kurt Sutter."

More opportunities to say "gently caress you Kurt Sutter."

quote:

FX has closed a deal to develop Lucas Stand, an action/horror drama from Sons of Anarchy's creator/showrunner Kurt Sutter and former Hell on Wheels showrunner John Shiban. No, it's not about motorcycle wheels. It actually follows the quest of a former special ops soldier who travels through space and time to kill demons.

http://www.vulture.com/2013/02/fx-is-developing-a-new-show-from-kurt-sutter.html

Siid
Oct 18, 2012

That sounds so ridiculous it may be entertaining.

I guess pretty much like SOA.

Donny Brook
Jul 23, 2007

Hello Ladies

Rest In Peace
Dave
(aka Donny Brook)
1963-2013
Goonspeed, friend

solovyov posted:

More opportunities to say "gently caress you Kurt Sutter."

Just 'cuz I haven't said it in a couple of weeks:

gently caress you, Kurt Sutter.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

gently caress you Kurt Sutter.

That show actually sounds pretty cool.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

quote:

Jimmy Smits is set to return to FX‘s flagship drama Sons Of Anarchy, reprising his role as Neron “Nero” Padilla, a former gangbanger whose exit strategy is trumped by his partnership with Jax (Charlie Hunnam). Smits appeared in 12 of the 13 episodes from Anarchy‘s fifth season. He has now signed on to do all episodes from Season 6, which is shaping to be even more intense and volatile. Production begins in late spring for a September premiere. Emmy winner Smits, repped by UTA and Brillstein Entertainment and Tom Hoberman, is coming off a successful run in Motherf**ker With The Hat at Chicago’s Steppenwolf Theatre. On Anarchy, produced by Fox 21 and FX Prods, he is joined by Donal Logue, who also is coming back after making his debut on the show last season. Sons of Anarchy is the highest-rated series ever on FX, and its recent fifth season ranks as the series’ highest-rated yet with first-run episodes averaging 6.37 million total viewers and 4.35 million adults 18-49, a +16% increase in both categories vs. Season 4.

Nero is officially back. Also how do the ratings for this show keep going up as the quality goes down?

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Nero is officially back. Also how do the ratings for this show keep going up as the quality goes down?

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Mr. Carlisle posted:

:argh: I DON'T WATCH TELEVISION TO THINK! :argh:

Another prime example being The Walking Dead.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

rejutka posted:

:argh: I DON'T WATCH TELEVISION TO THINK! :argh:

Another prime example being The Walking Dead.

The Walking Dead has actually been getting better (this latest episode is perhaps my favorite of the series). Not to say that it doesn't have its flaws (it has many) but I don't think compares as aptly as say...Dexter.

But speaking of SoA, this article came up in my Twitter feed.

Netflix Sends Message to Check on Customer Who Watched an Entire Season in One Sitting

Sure it's an Onion article, but I'd believe it if it happened. :v:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Goons tend to exaggerate the downfall of shows a lot

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I don't understand how SoA can be the highest-rated show ever on FX when The Shield is a show they also had.

Makes no loving sense.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
here's the sad truth of F/X - in terms of original programming, The Shield MADE F/X but it was practically the lowest rated show which aired on it's own network when it was producing new episodes. The other dramas of the time - with the exception of Lucky, which ran one season - all got better ratings.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

I just started watching this show on netflix. Finished the first season and it seems pretty awesome. But then I wandered into this thread, apparently the show sucks now? Bummer!

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Sanzuo posted:

I just started watching this show on netflix. Finished the first season and it seems pretty awesome. But then I wandered into this thread, apparently the show sucks now? Bummer!

What did you enjoy about the first?

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

niethan posted:

I went in pretty much for Ron Pearlman. I am enjoying the "Sopranos only bikers"-style drama. Some things seem a bit silly and over the top but hey it's a tv show.

Edit: Are people turned off because the characters are despicable people? Yea there is a lot of misogyny are racism in this show but I mean the show is about these scumbags, right?

Sanzuo fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Apr 15, 2013

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Sanzuo posted:

Edit: Are people turned off because the characters are despicable people? Yea there is a lot of misogyny are racism in this show but I mean the show is about these scumbags, right?

No. I'd prefer not to spoil your enjoyment by providing details though.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Sanzuo posted:

I went in pretty much for Ron Pearlman. I am enjoying the "Sopranos only bikers"-style drama. Some things seem a bit silly and over the top but hey it's a tv show.

No-one has a problem with them being dicks, the writing and motivation and the things that happen just get really dumb. But season two is still decent

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

JohnSherman posted:

No. I'd prefer not to spoil your enjoyment by providing details though.

Don't worry about it! I was hoping to get in on the discussion regardless. I'm not someone who really cares about spoilers and since I'm WAY behind everyone else I'm not expecting you to reign in your discussion on the show's present state.

My thoughts after the first season are the massive body count. I have a hard time believing with all the death in and around Charming we wouldn't see even more drastic measures from the authorities. That being said, the ATF lady and crazy stalker guy seemed cartoonishly evil and corrupt.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

It's good mindless entertainment-- just don't think about it too hard (or at all) or it gets pretty easy to rip apart.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Sanzuo posted:

The climax of the show brings tears to Kurt Sutter's eyes.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Sanzuo posted:

My thoughts after the first season are the massive body count. I have a hard time believing with all the death in and around Charming we wouldn't see even more drastic measures from the authorities. That being said, the ATF lady and crazy stalker guy seemed cartoonishly evil and corrupt.

Cartoonish is the best way to describe where the show goes.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

cornface posted:

The climax of the show brings tears to Kurt Sutter's eyes.

Oh zing! I, I don't know what to say about that but good job!

So, when are they going to kill off Clay. Well, let's be honest, that'll be the last year.

Donny Brook
Jul 23, 2007

Hello Ladies

Rest In Peace
Dave
(aka Donny Brook)
1963-2013
Goonspeed, friend

niethan posted:

Be fair. The first two seasons were really good. Do yourself a favor Sanzuo, give up after season 2, except maybe catch the premier episode of season 3. Unless you want to become bitter like the rest of us. Most seasons have a bright spot or two, but everything went downhill since season 3.

SpannerX posted:

So, when are they going to kill off Clay. Well, let's be honest, that'll be the last year.

Don't kid yourself man. He'll be the last one standing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Donny Brook posted:

Be fair. The first two seasons were really good. Do yourself a favor Sanzuo, give up after season 2, except maybe catch the premier episode of season 3. Unless you want to become bitter like the rest of us. Most seasons have a bright spot or two, but everything went downhill since season 3.

I asked because depending on what he like in the first he might like the newer seasons or not. E.g. if he like chases set to thematically appropriate music (are you chasing mexicans? play mexican music. chasing blacks? play rap.), then he'll love the later seasons just as much as the first.

• Locked thread