Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I'm almost certain Cthulhu uses Mogul ratings.
That assessment of Cano sounds wrong, but I don't think he invented it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I'm almost certain Cthulhu uses Mogul ratings.
That assessment of Cano sounds wrong, but I don't think he invented it.

It's relative to the other two - a better way to put it might be that he doesn't have the elite contact skills of the other guys nor an elite batting eye, so he's at risk of a Rodriguez like season where he hits .198

BrooklynBruiser posted:

:catstare:

"Robinson Cano has a poor hit tool."

WHAT?!

Robinson Cano's worst BA in the majors was .278 and that's in a year where his BABIP was 40 points off its career average.

And, Cano has a 11.8 strikeout percentage over his years in the majors, as opposed to a 17.8% mark for the rest of the majors. Cano is very, very good at putting a bat on a ball.

Sure, but he also has a 1:3 BB:SO rate. While I agree absolute strikeouts matter, so does the BB/SO rate. As this rating has generated some angst, I feel like it's worth elaborating. My personal hypothesis is that to survive as a hitter in the super league you need to have some combination of the following things going for you:

A) Low raw strikeout numbers
B) Good ratios of strikeouts to walks
C) Good absolute numbers of walks
D) Platoon effects.

Look at a guy who has historically struggled in the SL - Ivan Rodriguez. He's often done completely poo poo offensively, despite winning a bunch of silver sluggers in real life. Bruiser says that Cano has a 13% strikeout rate - I-rod has a 14% strikeout rate - it's very low. But what both of them don't have is a good strikeout to walk ratio - they both have struck out three times as often as they've walked.

Okay, so what about the hypothesis that it's just raw walk numbers? Well, Ducky Wucky Medwick has an even worse BB/PA rate than I-rod, but he does okay. My hypothesis is that it's because he has a 8:10 BB/SO ratio.

I'm left with the conclusion that BB/SO ratio matters in assessing players, and Cano's awful ratio is a warning sign. You're welcome to disagree, but I don't think that saying a guy who hits like I-rod is going to struggle in the super-league is an outlandish assessment - hell, explain to me why I should think a guy who looks like I-rod as a hitter will succeed in the SL?

E: vvvvv yeah like that season where he hit .198

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 4, 2013

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
That Cano was not very good for the Goose Eggs.

EDIT: The Memento Mori previews are already outdated. Per Smasher, the Jobbers are moving to the Señor Goodtimes Division. Which means it's going to be Badtimes! For the Jobbers. We're getting relegated.

Armitage fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 4, 2013

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010
So did someone accept a transfer to the Dynamo League or are we working with unbalanced leagues?

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Working with unbalanced leagues. 14 no DH, 16 DH.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.

Per my previous statements, I'm making the following changes to my roster:

Art Fletcher takes Harvey Kuenn's place in the Shortstop platoon. Yes I know he doesn't hit will. I don't have any other choice.

Ted Williams is my full time LF. Orlando Cepeda is my full time DH.

Jake Peavy moves to #5 SP, and Rube Marquard moves to #4 SP.

We'll see how that does for a few weeks.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

Super-League IX, Week 0: Probably Close Enough

Here are your teams as they exist before the season. If you have any change and/or complaints, you've got about a day or two before I run the first week. And yes, there will be interleague play this season, but not for a few weeks.

Analysis

Everything looks good. Just keep an eye on your left-handed pitchers.

Analysis

Your bullpen still kind of makes me want to cry.

Analysis

Those are some ominous rolls for your hitters.

Analysis

What are you going to do with all of the talent in your minors?

Analysis

DON LIDDLE IS BAD! DO NOT USE DON LIDDLE!

Analysis

A couple of miracle rolls on Koufax and Drysdale.

Analysis

I still don't understand why Julian Tavarez is in your bullpen, but it can't end well.

Analysis

Well, Cy Young got the highest roll ever for a 42 year-old. Of course, it'll probably drop 10-15 points over the course of the season.

Analysis

Elston Howard rolled....poorly.

Analysis

You sure you want to go with Art Fletcher?

Analysis

Think there's any chance Sabes survives the season?

Analysis

Your only hope is just hoping that deadball pitching can conquer all. Then again, the last team that placed their hopes on the Waddell/Plank combination was the SLI Sharks, who ended up with the worst record ever.

Analysis

I'm sure there's a good reason why Blades is starting over Hafey over Cedeno. I hope you tell it to me someday.

Analysis

Is Chris Hoiles the solution to your catching woes? Short Answer: No. Long Answer: Absolutely, positively, unequivocally no.

Analysis

Time to see if you can hold onto that lightning in a bottle.

Analysis

I think it's time to abort the Kevin Appier experiment.

Analysis

Time for the beatings to resume.

Analysis

I don't think George Stone is going to work.

Analysis

Nolan Ryan is going to be rated 94 for very long.

Analysis

I'm not sure why you think starting the ghost of Kenny Lofton is a good idea, but it's not.

Analysis

You need another bat.

Analysis

That's not the best roll for Ferris Fain.

Analysis

Evans and Rice are both old, so those ratings are going down, and fast.

Analysis

Well, they're going to win 100 games again.

Analysis

Good rolls on Musial and Ott, but how long will they last?

Analysis

Nellie Fox really doesn't look like he's going to be good enough to lead off for you.

Analysis

Time to get back to work holding down the Cultists.

Analysis

The Machine is ready...

Analysis

Good rolls for your pitchers all things considered.

Analysis

Pass.

Standings

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

Lets swap Buhl and Liddle, not that that's really a better option...

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Cuyler up for Evans. Williams to LF for No-DH games

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Two changes:

Put Billy Williams on the bench and send down Sewell - Sewell's not going to offer me anything complementary to Arky, and you always point out that I need a left handed pinch hitter on the bench.

Put Kim Byung Hung in for Brandon League.

No DH Roster

Lineup vs RHP

CF: Tris Speaker
2B: Hornsby
C: Mike Piazza
1B: Pujols
LF: Musial
SS: Arky Vaughn
3B: Santo
RF: Ott
P

Lineup vs LHP

C: Mike Piazza
LF: Bob Johnson
RF: Beltran
2B: Biggio
P

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Super-League IX, Week 0: Probably Close Enough

Analysis

I still don't understand why Julian Tavarez is in your bullpen, but it can't end well.

Julian, by some stroke of fate or luck, managed to hold down a sub-2.00 ERA in both Expansion Cup and the Intercontinental. That's not something I'm going to ignore. It'll probably explode in my face, though.

:siren:LAST MINUTE CHANGES/TUNE-UPS!:siren:

I have no idea why Paul O'Neill is classified as an LF, BBRef says he was an RF, and strictly that.

Put Paul O'Neill in as the starting RF, move Eric Davis to CF, and put Kenny Lofton on the Bench.

Since you said I needed a utility infielder, Vizquel to the Bench, boot Carlos Baerga to the minors.

Scratch what I said earlier, Sandy Alomar will platoon with Mauer. This will likely also backfire. (I preemptively blame Cthulhu)

In lieu of better options, Switch Timelord Perry and Old Man Clemens places in the bullpen. This makes Old Clemens the Closer and Perry the Long Relief.

Final Starting Lineup:

code:
DH:
#1 2B Joe Morgan
#2 C Joe Mauer (RHP)/C Sandy Alomar (LHP)
#3 3B Jim Thome
#4 1B Willie McCovey
#5 LF Manny Ramirez
#6 SS Barry Larkin
#7 DH Albert Belle
#8 CF Eric Davis
#9 RF Paul O'Neill

No DH:
#1 2B Joe Morgan
#2 C Joe Mauer (RHP)/C Sandy Alomar (LHP)
#3 3B Jim Thome
#4 1B Willie McCovey
#5 LF Manny Ramirez
#6 SS Barry Larkin
#7 CF Eric Davis
#8 RF Paul O'Neill
#9 Pitcher

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

poo poo, I did want Dick Allen on the team, just in the minors. End the Mitch Meluskey Experiment and put Dick in his spot.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Goddammit. I really didn't think I was wasting a draft pick going after Fox, but here I am...

Also, way to fail, Slaughter.

Vs RHP

1. RF: Stan Musial
2. 1B: Albert Pujols
3. C: Yogi Berra
4. CF: Mickey Mantle
5. LF: Enos Slaughter ('42)
6. 2B: Jose Vidro
7. DH: Ryan Braun
8. 3B: Gil McDonald
9. SS: Marty Marion

Vs LHP

1. RF: Stan Musial
2. CF: Mickey Mantle
3. DH: Ryan Braun
4. 1B: Albert Pujols
5. LF: Enos Slaughter ('42)
6. C: Walker Cooper
7. 3B: Gil McDougald
8. 2B: Nellie Fox
9. SS: Marty Marion

W/O DH:TBD. For now just dump out DH and put pitcher in the 9th spot in the lineup

I don't really know. I'll have a better idea of how horrible this all is soon enough.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
Baker should be starting at 3B over Traynor and Jackson should be starting in LF over Oliva. Also, Jeter should be batting second, Cabrera fourth, Hornsby fifth, and Baker eighth. Other than that, everything looks good.

Also, one question: how soon do I need to bring up starting pitchers from the minors before they start to decay? I remember you mentioning that they become unusable if they stay in the minors for a long time, and I'd like to potentially rotate some of them in.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
Looking at the rolls, Swap Axford for Smith! Also, holy gently caress what happened with Yoshida's roll?

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

blackmongoose posted:

Baker should be starting at 3B over Traynor and Jackson should be starting in LF over Oliva. Also, Jeter should be batting second, Cabrera fourth, Hornsby fifth, and Baker eighth. Other than that, everything looks good.

Also, one question: how soon do I need to bring up starting pitchers from the minors before they start to decay? I remember you mentioning that they become unusable if they stay in the minors for a long time, and I'd like to potentially rotate some of them in.

That's a glitch, your lineup is entered correctly. Although why exactly, on a team with Brett and Traynor, you're starting Baker is not as clear.

As for rotating players in from the minors, it's not that big a deal, really. Realistically, looking at your rotation and how it's performed in the past, in the first month or two, you're probably going to have to yank one or two of starters for underperforming anyway.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem

Hoo boy, was hoping that Porter and Gonzalez would roll a bit better. Switch Gonzalez with Helton at 1B, if you would please.

New lineup:

RF Harry Heilmann
CF Ty Cobb
LF Jose Canseco
SS Joe Cronin
1B Todd Helton
3B Scott Rolen
C Darrell Porter
2B Frank White
P --

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

quote:

Analysis

Think there's any chance Sabes survives the season?

Well, it is an odd-numbered Super-League season. But no.

Nice new thread name, by the way. I guess I should have kept Jack Cust.

Archie Goodwin
Jan 2, 2012
Using intelligence guided by experience since 1934.
Smasher, you mention old players' ratings declining rapidly over the course of the year - given that, would it make sense to use Schmidt until he collapses and only then resort to playing Grich out of position?

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Analysis

What are you going to do with all of the talent in your minors?

There's talent in my minors? I guess young Bob Feller is first off the farm in case of injury.

To be fair, I should say that Baines and Averill aren't on the team anymore. Baines went to the Gumshoes, and I traded Averill to the Commies for a Dispersal pick, but lost Internet during the draft, and someone picked old Michael loving Young for me with it, so I ended up trading a useful Hall of Famer for M.F.Y., Matt Thornton, and Ian Desmond. An outstanding triumph.

How'd Yount roll, he's not on the list?

Gonna take a chance on old Will Clark as a pinch hitter, Clark up, Tartabull down, Beltrán into the platoon with Ballman.

Pete Ladd
Mar 9, 2012
Welp. I guess start Olerud over Fain. Based on that roll, I guess there's going to be a bit of a Rainwater delay.

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

As this rating has generated some angst, I feel like it's worth elaborating. My personal hypothesis is that to survive as a hitter in the super league you need to have some combination of the following things going for you:

Not angst so much as astonishment that you characterized Cano as having "a poor hit tool," despite all the goalpost moving you did above. Other comments that leap out at me:

quote:

Halladay's strikeouts, generously proportioned stadium and speedy outfield get him the nod here, though it's close.

Doc isn't a strikeout pitcher (primarily), he's a groundballer who never walks anyone, and is just learning to be Doc Halladay in 2003.

quote:

Smasher thinks Hilton Smith is better than I do. While the man has a 75% win percentage, and that's pretty amazing, he also had great run support. As a pitcher, I'd suggest a good comp is Wes Ferrell, rather than SL ace.

Seriously? Wes Ferrell? Career K/BB of <1? Against Hilton Smith's 5+? WHIP pushing 1.5 against a WHIP under 1? What is the basis for this comparison?

quote:

None of these CFs are really great, and it's a close ranking. Tris is in the second tier of centre fielders...

What. Yeah, no dingers, but, defense aside, you get all the doubles you want and high average and patience. Elite, really great average and patience.

quote:

Duke Snider is also great, though why he's platooned with King Kelly I will never know. Seriously, trade me King Kelly.

Snider Career vs RHP: .302/.389/.560
Snider Career vs LHP: .257/.322/.421

That's a big difference. Don't trade King Kelly, ugh.

quote:

2. '89 Dennis Eckersley/'94 John Wetteland/'93 Mark Wohlers (ANT)
These guys are just kinda bad.

Yeah, Eck with his 5 H/9, 18(!) K/BB, and immediately before one of the best relief performances in history. Whatta bum.

I could go on. I'm sincerely glad you made the effort, effort posts are great, but you just seem so confident about these things, and I don't know why, because they seem odd.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Speaker argument is basically over what you consider really great.
He's clearly second tier below Mays and Mantle (dunno how SL treats peak Griffey) but he's very good and IIRC 3 versions of Speaker appeared on the DL's Wins Created leaderboard at various times in SL8.

Snider's Mogul split isn't as bad as real life, but I'm never thrilled with his OBP and I like platooning.
Plus King Kelly owns and I wouldn't let him go for less than Joe Morgan or Rivera and a mashing 1B.

GrickleGrass
Dec 18, 2011

I speak for the trees.

Make John Smoltz my closer, and move Armando Benitez into the set-up role for now. That way I can evaluate Benitez' propensity to walk dudes in a less stressful environment for him. Smoltz' endurance is kind of wasted at closer, but we'll see if there's a better fit for him somewhere else later.

Also, start the season with Kiner in LF. Put Stargell on the bench for now. We'll see how things go there.

New line-up (versus DH):
1. CF Ken Griffey Jr.
2. 1B John Olerud
3. 3B Edgar Martinez
4. DH Rafael Palmeiro
5. LF Ralph Kiner
6. SS Alex Rodriguez
7. RF Larry Walker
8. C Ivan Rodriguez
9. 2B Julio Franco

Keep the non-DH line-up the same, as it already has Kiner in it. Thanks.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
Oof. Well, on the plus side, at least I know pretty early that I need to start planning for the next expansion cup.

Let's pull Roy Oswalt out of the rotation and put Wilbur Cooper in his place. After that showing in the tournament, I don't trust him to start. At least, not until I see some signs of life out of him.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Super-League IX, Pre-Week 1

The Super-League is all about disappointment. Personally, I'm disappointed that no one reads my thread, and whether that's because I suck at writing, no one wants to read about baseball, or some combination of the two, it's an intractable problem.

But you know what? By the end of this season, I'm not going to be the only one bitterly disappointed. Over half of your teams will not survive to see Super-League X. And yes, one of you will be champion, but even that owner will face an impossible choice: to face the Macho Men in a battle to the death that they cannot possibly win, or avoid the challenge, and come face to face with the limits of their courage.

So, strap in, because it's all downhill from here.

Injury Report

Antarctica Unspecifieds
Eddie Guardado (RP) (Everyday Eddie has learned the meaning of irony!) - Out for season

Finger Lakes Phoenixes
Bret Saberhagen (SP) (Bruised Kidnay) - 6 days

Idaho Potatoes
J.R. Richard (SP) (Questioned might of Belarus) - 43 days

Lombard St. Gumshoes
Frank Tanana (SP) (Fitted for a pair of cement shoes) - 7 days

Patagonia Postmodernists
George Brett (3B) (When Stoppard goes wrong!) - 9 days

Queens Mercuries
Robb Nen (RP) (Chose not to live forever) - 11 days
Bruce Hurst (SP) (The only way to stop you from using him) - 34 days

Rockford Losers
Rafael Betancourt (RP) (Who?) - 19 days

Ryleh Cultists
Mike Pizza (C) (Too delicious for this earth!) - 17 days

Sad Pandas
Chad Cordero (RP) (Altitude Sickness) - 12 days

The pitching is still there, but Gander is a hard place for a team whose offense is mainly based around power to do well in.

The Bobbleheads' hitting being inconsistent? Good to see some things never change.

Only seven stolen bases in your first three games? Someone's slipping...

The greatest hitting attack ever has returned...and hit .232 over their first three games. Disappointing.

: It's the beginning of Super-League IX, and what better way to start than a few Hardcore and Television Title Defenses?
: A real writeup of a game? Or finally finishing the obits from last season? Or-
: That was clearly rhetorical, and this is as good as people are getting. First up, the CERN Colliders will take on the Oneida Mighty Spooners, who are making yet another attempt to win the Hardcore Title. What are they, something like 0-4 in Hardcore Title Series?
: But it's a brand new season! This could be a fresh start for the Spooners?

: I guess not. The Colliders win three straight.
: The Spooners only managed five runs in three games. I think it's fair to say that they haven't quite solved their offensive problems from last season.
: Clearly not. The Colliders will retain and move on to face the Losers.
: Which Losers?
: The ones who don't have the best rotation in the league.

: Colliders win three out of four, and that gives them a 6-1 record on the week. A good start for an expansion team.
: A good start for anyone. Also, it looks like Mitch Williams has blown his first game for the Lovable Losers. The first of many.

: And the Phoenixes will carry over the Television Title into Super-League IX, having won it from...well, you, Yoshida, in the Smasher League Championship Series last season.
: Well, they won it from the Eazy W's.
: But weren't you responsible for-
: It's not important!
: Well, the Phoenixes are going to have to defend their title in the far-off land of CANADA! Where the elks run free and the moose have six seats in the senate. Can the Manatees bring the Television Title home to Montreal, where it would presumably be known as the Title d'Television?

: Yes! They can! This is the greatest moment in Canadian history!
: That's great! Because now the Eazy W's will have a chance to win back the TV Title, and if we win, ForeverBWFC has to forgive me for screwing up in the playoffs last season! Let's go W's! And this series is going to take place...right now!

: W's sweep the Manatees, and they now hold three titles, the European, the Larkin-Downing, and the Television Title. But for how long? Find out in two days as the W's take on the Harvard Elites with all three titles on the line!

Pick 'em

This season, I'm going to run a season-long Pick 'em contest. In each of these pre-week posts, I'll list two types of series that you can pick the winner of. First, there will be just a couple of normal series between two teams. You get one point for picking which team wins the series. Pretty simple.

Second, you guys will have a chance to pick whether or not teams holding secondary championships will be able to retain or not during the upcoming week. Since it's harder for a team to win one of those titles (they need to sweep the series), an owner will get four points if they successfully predict a championship changing hands, and only one point if they correctly predict a successful defense.

At the end of the season, the winner of the contest will get a reward that will either be...

For playoff teams/expansion teams for Super-League X: A sandwich pick in the next dispersal draft
For Gauntlet teams: A bye to the last round of the Gauntlet.

Both of those are pretty valuable, so it's worth your time to take part in this contest. Also, you don't need to have a team right now to participate. If you think you might want a team in the next season of the Super-League, winning the contest can do a lot to help your expansion team. Okay? Okay.

Pick'em for Week 1
Pick the winners

Detroit Cougars @ Queens Mercuries

Lombard St. Gumshoes @ Arkansas Destroyers

Cancun Tornados @ Coburns

Title Matches
Can the champions retain?

Intercontinental Title
Ryleh Cultists (c) @ Walney Rakers

United States Title
Burma Imperialists @ Rockford Losers (c)

Heavyweight Title
Barons @ Finger Lakes Phoenixes (c)

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Pick 'em
Detroit Cougars

Lombard St. Gumshoes

Cancun Tornados

All champions retain.

Pete Ladd
Mar 9, 2012

Bob "Mr. Bean" Buhl with a clutch complete game win for CERN, there.

Pick'em for Week 1

Title Matches

Intercontinental Title

United States Title

Heavyweight Title

e: Oh, and call up DeCinces to start for Brett. I knew that bastard wouldn't work out.

Pete Ladd fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 6, 2013

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
[img="http://lpix.org/1105824/Team3-ABanner.PNG"]

Pick'em for Week 1
Pick the winners

Title Matches

Intercontinental Title

United States Title

Heavyweight Title

thingsthatwonthappen.txt

GrickleGrass
Dec 18, 2011

I speak for the trees.

Not sure what Koji Uehara was doing starting one of those games against the Eazy W's, but I'm surprised the Manatees held their own against the Phoenixes. A brief but sweet moment in Canadian history for sure.

Pick 'Ems

Titles
Intercontinental Title

United States Title

Heavyweight Title

All three will retain the title, yessiree.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Cougars over Mercuries, Gumshoes over Destroyers, Coburns over Cancun. And All champions retain except Finger Lakes, who give up their title to the Barons.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Mar 6, 2013

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Losing on an unearned run in the 16th? Balls. Tabarnak!, even. And, hey look, Sabes broke already.

Before I play in the Pick 'em, I'll offer to run it for you and take some overhead off your shoulders, especially since you're doing the awesome Vengeance Gauntlet with the injury report?

Poor Nolan, going 9 with 10 K and having Holly blow it

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
Pick'em!

Title Matches

Intercontinental Title

United States Title

Heavyweight Title

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

PIZZZZZAAAAAA!!!!

Okay, that is a thing I guess.

DL List Mike Pizza
Gabby Hartnett catches 24/7
Move Stan Musial to DH vs RHP
Make Billy Williams the LF Starter vs LHP
Summon Riggs

Lineup vs RHP

2B: Hornsby
DH: Musial
LF: Billy Williams
RF: Ott
C: Gabby Hartnett

Lineup vs LHP

DH: Hornsby
LF: Bob Johnson
RF: Beltran
2B: Biggio
C: Gabby Hartnett

Viscount Slim posted:

Doc isn't a strikeout pitcher (primarily), he's a groundballer who never walks anyone, and is just learning to be Doc Halladay in 2003.

Yup, but he has more strikeouts than the other guys because he's a modern pitcher.

quote:

Seriously? Wes Ferrell? Career K/BB of <1? Against Hilton Smith's 5+? WHIP pushing 1.5 against a WHIP under 1? What is the basis for this comparison?

Yeah, Wes Ferrell - the other comp that works is Lefty Gomez if you'd like. This is really a two part answer. First, Wes Ferrell. For those following along here, Wes Ferrell has a career ERA of 4.04 and Addie Joss has a career ERA of 1.89. Bill James has a bit where he compares the career ERA of guys relative to league norms for the top 100 pitchers of all time. Wes Ferrell has the highest ERA of all those pitchers, because he played in a extreme hitters era in a hitters park (think Yankee stadium I guess?). To move Wes Ferrell back to the same historical context as Addie Joss, you need to carve a huge amount off his ERA.

But that's not the full picture either when assessing Wes Ferrell's career. Wes Ferrell is the best hitting pitcher since 1901 by a considerable margin. Wes actually was an out fielder for a while, and his career triple slash line is .280 / .351 /.446 represents a significant contribution with the bat. Overall, he was worth ~240 win shares or so.

So on to Hilton Smith. The guys at the baseball hall of merit (I tip my hat to Chris Cobb) have done a projection using their standard approach for assessing negro league hitters and that spits out a player below:

code:
Year  IP DERA DERA+  snW-L      wp
1936 205 4.50  100   11.8-11.8  .500
1937 251 5.00   90   12.9-15.9  .448
1938 314 2.80  161   26.1-10.0  .722
1939 256 3.13  144   19.9- 9.6  .675
1940 292 4.73   95   15.9-17.6  .474
1941 323 2.72  165   27.2- 9.9  .732
1942 180 5.88   77    7.7-13.0  .372
1943 148 3.75  120   10.0- 7.0  .590
1944 106 6.00   75    4.4- 7.8  .360
1945 135 3.28  137   10.1- 5.4  .652
1946 165 4.59   98    9.3- 9.7  .490
1947 178 1.81  248   17.6- 2.9  .860
1948  26 7.50   60    0.8- 2.2  .265
tot 2579 3.91  115  173.7-122.8 .588
Wes Ferrell's DERA is 3.90 career, and he pitched more innings. Then he adds to that value with his bat. While Hilton was an OK hitter for a pitcher, Wes was just an OK hitter, which is worth approximately 50 runs over replacement over his career. In terms of career value, it's pretty similar. As I said above Lefty Gomez is another pitcher with a similar DERA to Hilton Smith and with a similar number of innings pitched, but he was a loving awful hitter so that's an unfair comparison.

Of course, you can argue with the projection method as it is rife with assumption, though I think the results work nicely, YMMV. But I in my personal list of 'best pitchers ever' Hilton Smith is not in the top 50.

quote:

What. Yeah, no dingers, but, defense aside, you get all the doubles you want and high average and patience. Elite, really great average and patience.

As this season marks the first time that the Cultists have played a game without Tris Speaker hitting lead off, I'm very conscious of his strengths and weaknesses. In real life the best centre fielders ever are something like Mays, Mantle, Charleston, DiMaggio, Cobb, Speaker - and the gap between Cobb and Tris Speaker is gigantic. But let me put my money where my mouth is. If you want to trade me a reasonable year on Mantle or Charleston for my Tris Speaker, I'll even kick in one of my spare outfielders.

quote:

Snider Career vs RHP: .302/.389/.560
Snider Career vs LHP: .257/.322/.421

That's a big difference. Don't trade King Kelly, ugh.

So you wouldn't considered it curious if someone had platooned Wade Boggs and Johnny Bench at 3B? Yogi Berra and some dude in LF? The trade me king kelly remark is a joke, referencing the fact that UDQ backed out of a three party trade at the 11th hour that involved me getting King Kelly as one of the moves. I was sad.

quote:

I could go on. I'm sincerely glad you made the effort, effort posts are great, but you just seem so confident about these things, and I don't know why, because they seem odd.

The relief thing was probably a mistake, but I think you are overlooking the context in which my remarks are made. The Cano/Hornsby/Collins discussion is a prime example - Collins is one of the best hitting 2B guys ever with an OPS+ of 142, but I rated his hit tool 'good.' It seemed to me that when I then rate Cano's hit tool 'poor' it's in the context of an environment where Collins is 'good'

But hey, different player evaluations is great - it's why you can trade at all.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 6, 2013

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.

Pick'em for Week 1
Pick the winners

Detroit Cougars

Arkansas Destroyers

Coburns

Title Matches

Intercontinental Title
Ryleh Cultists (c)

United States Title
Rockford Losers (c)

Heavyweight Title
Finger Lakes Phoenixes (c)

Also, I think it's cool that my team was one of the ones chosen for the first Pick 'em, so thanks for that.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
Bring Bill Pleis up from the minors in Guardado's spot.

Pick 'Em:

Cougars, Gumshoes, Tornadoes.

Titles:

Cultists, Losers retain, Barons steal.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

Washburn in for Appier
and
Percival in for Chipman

Pick'em
Detroit
Arkansas
Coburns

Cultists
Burma
Barons

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Pick'em for Week 1
Pick the winners

Queens Mercuries

Lombard St. Gumshoes

Coburns

Title Matches

Intercontinental Title
Ryleh Cultists (c)

United States Title
Burma Imperialists

Heavyweight Title
Barons

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Pick 'em

Queens Mercuries

Lombard St. Gumshoes

Cancun Tornados

Title Matches

Intercontinental Title
Ryleh Cultists (c)

United States Title
Rockford Losers (c)

Heavyweight Title
Finger Lakes Phoenixes (c)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Title Matches

Intercontinental Title

United States Title

Heavyweight Title