Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

lowcrabdiet posted:

Guilty, do you know of any videos with shorter MT fighters matched up against taller guys? And holding their own at it? Any strategy/tactics/advice for smaller guys going against larger guys you can divulge?

Some guy told me 'don't walk through a bad neighborhood twice'

Ie try to get in your range and stay there

I don't know if it's good advice. My advice would be to get skinnier. I don't know poo poo though.

Thailand update: I've gone from 75-76kg when I left NZ (faaaaat fucker) to 68 and still dropping, fighting at Loi Kroh stadium in Chiang Mai on Monday night, no idea at what weight or how experienced the other guy is or if he's a Thai or farang, I have learnt quite a bit, fitness is much much improved from when I arrived, it's hot as balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Guilty posted:

Mike Zambidis is also amazing.

This times very, very many. I've been watchign Iron Mike since... forever. There isn't a single fight of his you shouldn't watch, if you are tall/normal height just because they rock, if you are shorter for your weight, to try and pick up some stuff. Or then just enjoy it.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

lowcrabdiet posted:

Guilty, do you know of any videos with shorter MT fighters matched up against taller guys? And holding their own at it? Any strategy/tactics/advice for smaller guys going against larger guys you can divulge?

Here's a good fight for you to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvN27xNAgaQ

Even though Bovy loses, he still has good tactics. He dominates the distance. If no punches or kicks were thrown at all, he would have won because Henri could not keep the center ring. In terms of ring movement, Henri should have pigeon holed bovy into his optimal range. Instead, he had to dance out to keep Bovy at his desired distance, which shows how heavy Bovy's hands are.

The second thing he does, which is difficult to see in thai fighting, Bovy rolls into the distance fully guarded and starts swinging. As a shorter fighter, you cannot feint openings as often since you have a higher chance of being punished, even on a successful feint. What you need to do is draw yourself super compact and tight, and think about just steamrolling through his punches to get into your sweet spot. Think about making yourself a tank and blowing past all his shots. Or explode from outside range with a long hook, but compact and CLOSE DISTANCE IMMEDIATELY. In western boxing this might lose you some rounds, since punches are scored highest for some dumb loving reason, but if you don't do this, he's going to keep landing pot shots on you anyways, so you'd lose for the same reason anyways.

Third is you need to take advantage of your lower center of gravity to clinch. Assuming your weights are the same, you should be able to toss him around like a bitch, or even just hang on his neck like a lodestone to wear him out. Swim under his arms which are usually easy to get by, link around his neck, throw your weight against him and be as fat as you loving can while raining knees upon him.

Finally, I'd say the biggest tip is that shorter fighters need to make their hits as heavy as you can. More than longer, lankier fighters who can play mind games, shorter fighters dominate matches by making their opponents afraid to get hit.

Like Zambidis here. Makes Chahid look like the biggest loving puss ever (Chahid is):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXYTDONVI_Y

At around 4.45 Zambidis lands a liver punch that you can loving hear over the roar of the crowd and cameras. That's how you want to hit. Not wild, not frantic. Just playing calm until you can land bombs like that. Draw him out and look for the opening. You can see the fear in Chahid's movements after that liver punch, as Zambidis comes in with more heavy hits. Even better, watch the slow mo replays and watch Mike taunt Chahid

Two other things, you need to staccato your rhythms. While distance fighters can usually set pace, and then change the rhythm quickly (which is what I love to do, lure them in and then quickly change), shorter fighters have to establish eccentric rhythms. What I mean by this, is that you have to think about the sound of hits landing as a sort of percussion. Longer fighters usually draw you into a 4/4 ballad to make you complacent, and then in one beat switch to nearly any other style of song to try and drop you out. Shorter fighters should be dropping that switch every single moment.

Second thing is that shorter fighters also have the luxury of being ABLE to circle in at certain points. By circling in, a shorter fighter can avoid the long jabs which is the bane of your existence, and if you circle in at a good angle you can stuff the hard straight nullifying some of its impact. By no means am I advocating this as a dominant strategy, but I'm just saying that you have the luxury of choosing more often than longer fighters.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

gimpsuitjones posted:

Some guy told me 'don't walk through a bad neighborhood twice'

Ie try to get in your range and stay there

I don't know if it's good advice. My advice would be to get skinnier. I don't know poo poo though.

It's not bad advice, it's just very tailored. For example, in the above post, Zambidis follows that strategy, but Bovy dances in and out of distance. Of course Bovy loses by decision, but if you can make it work for you, distance games also can help quite a bit. If you have the eyes to stay out of range and the speed to close distance in an instant, there's no such thing as a bad neighborhood.

Short fighters really need a coach to watch over their style and pick a strategy that works for them. Long fighters can basically train themselves :smug:

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008

gimpsuitjones posted:

Thailand update: I've gone from 75-76kg when I left NZ (faaaaat fucker) to 68 and still dropping, fighting at Loi Kroh stadium in Chiang Mai on Monday night, no idea at what weight or how experienced the other guy is or if he's a Thai or farang, I have learnt quite a bit, fitness is much much improved from when I arrived, it's hot as balls.

Dude, that is awesome! Be sure to post pics.

Questions for the coaches. I'm cornering some boxers in a couple weeks and haven't cornered in many, many years. Any advice you would give?

Guilty
May 3, 2003

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

Dude, that is awesome! Be sure to post pics.

Questions for the coaches. I'm cornering some boxers in a couple weeks and haven't cornered in many, many years. Any advice you would give?

Don't last minute corner as lead coach unless you're spending an inordinate amount of time together. You need to ingrain your voice into your fighter's head so it's the only voice he hears no matter what, and this can take a long time. Either you need to eat and sleep with your fighter, or train them for many months. In the ring he's going to be fighting adrenaline, the judges and refs, lovely advice being roared to him above the crowd and his opponent's coach to hear that one tiny voice of reason that will help him win. God, there's nothing more annoying in the world than trying to listen to your coach and some idiot in the crowd is yelling 'PUNCH HIM! PUNCH HIM!'. No poo poo, rear end in a top hat. Also don't lead corner if you've got a tiny little child's voice.

Not to mention being able to analyze your own fighter and give him advice and strategies that works for him.

You're doing him a huge disservice if you're replacing his head trainer.

If you've got no choice, then consider withdrawing him from the fight if it's an important fight. If it's just some hard sparring, then go in and do your best to out scream the crowd (which might be small anyways). Always be yelling tips and information, try to drown out the opposing coach. If you don't know how to advise him, just keep yelling BREATHE and JAB. Two things he needs to constantly do and constantly be reminded of doing. Remind him to end all combos with a kick, or you can yell out constantly CLINCH, PUSH, KICK which is another generic, really good strategy.

Between rounds have your seconds shut the gently caress up, and you need to be the ONLY one talking to him. Don't let ANYONE come up to his corner, keep away all 'family' and 'friends', grab his face and make him focus on you. Have your seconds give him water, towel him off, vaseline his eyes to keep the sweat off, shake out his legs and arms to dispel fatigue. And constantly talk to him. Either advise him on what he needs to do, or keep reminding him to jab and breathe. Build up his ego, tell him he's killing it in there and he's really close to winning (regardless of how he's doing) and he just needs a little bit more.

If you're second, keep EVERYONE else but you and the coach away from the corner (some events WILL penalize the fighter for having a gigantic corner). As soon as the fighter comes over get your towel ready, and the water bucket. Take his mouthpiece, soak it in water, and hang onto it. Water the fighter, clear the sweat from his eyes, vaseline him up, water a bit more, shake out his arms and legs, and when the bell rings give him his mouthpiece back. Do whatever the head coach asks you to do in addition to the normal stuff. and do it all SILENTLY. Don't break into the focus the fighter and the coach have. If you have advice, tell the coach before the fighter returns to the corner and he will process it somehow.

Best of luck!

SlyUses
Dec 26, 2012

It was 99% effort and 1% talent. Continuance will become strength.
As an amateur boxer in England, I really wish our coaches were allowed to yell advice to us during a fight like they are in the US. That annoying "PUNCH HIM!! PUNCH HIM!!" voice often ends up being the only one I ever notice by virtue of being screamed loudest and most frequently.

gregarious Ted
Jun 6, 2005
After ~ 6 months layoff due to injury (shoulder/neck) followed by my gym closing for 2 months and then moving to an annoying location (Boxingworks Sydney) I'm starting up again next week. I've joined UFC Gym Sydney - it's really close to my house, was only slightly more than I was paying at my old gym, and is getting a bunch of great trainers.

I'm really pumped to punch things. Been skipping/airboxing/running to try and get in some shape, but need someone to kick me into gear. I was worried UFC Gym might be a McDojo but my trainer has moved there so hopefully it's ok!

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Incoming E/N.

I've tried a bunch of martial arts over the years and have never been able to stick with one, ranging from financial issues to moving countries to just falling out of interest in the style. What I've learn over the years is that I really like TMAs as I have no designs on competing, just like trying to improve my fitness and appreciate the history and feeling super cool while I flail about pathetically.

About a month ago I found a Wing Chun place in my city that ticked all the boxes. TMA, reasonably priced, offered a free lesson, curriculum seemed well structured and interesting and most importantly, as I work nights, it offered classes in the morning during weekdays. Perfect. Went along to my free lesson, it was great. Been going for the last month slowly getting adjusted to the basics and really loving the interaction with both the instructors and my fellow students. A great bunch all around. "If only I'd found this sooner" I thought to myself, "still, I can't wait to see myself progress throughout this year!"

Just got an email tonight. Club is closing down permanently at the end of this month.

:negative:

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

Guilty posted:

MT with taller opponents stuff

Thanks for this, I really appreciate it. I'll definitely take heed and work more of this stuff into my game.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Can any judo (or NYC) goons recommend a judo club in NYC? Preferably Manhattan. I'm looking for a place to cross-train at.

Metal Gear
Dec 10, 2006

This is SomethingAwful.com

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

Incoming E/N.

I've tried a bunch of martial arts over the years and have never been able to stick with one, ranging from financial issues to moving countries to just falling out of interest in the style. What I've learn over the years is that I really like TMAs as I have no designs on competing, just like trying to improve my fitness and appreciate the history and feeling super cool while I flail about pathetically.

About a month ago I found a Wing Chun place in my city that ticked all the boxes. TMA, reasonably priced, offered a free lesson, curriculum seemed well structured and interesting and most importantly, as I work nights, it offered classes in the morning during weekdays. Perfect. Went along to my free lesson, it was great. Been going for the last month slowly getting adjusted to the basics and really loving the interaction with both the instructors and my fellow students. A great bunch all around. "If only I'd found this sooner" I thought to myself, "still, I can't wait to see myself progress throughout this year!"

Just got an email tonight. Club is closing down permanently at the end of this month.

:negative:

Wow, that sucks. You should probably ask your instructor if he's moving on to a new location or planning to continue teaching through some other means

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
I got my purple belt in BJJ last night!

It was very unexpected - I thought maybe next month after the in house tournament (which will now be much harder), or something, but I definitely feel elated.

The guantlet was loving terrible though. there were like 25-30 people in class, so I had to walk up and down while everyone whipped me with their belts. It was godawful since one of the belts wrapped around and got me in the nip :(

Overal, Super Happy!

mewse
May 2, 2006

SlyUses posted:

As an amateur boxer in England, I really wish our coaches were allowed to yell advice to us during a fight like they are in the US. That annoying "PUNCH HIM!! PUNCH HIM!!" voice often ends up being the only one I ever notice by virtue of being screamed loudest and most frequently.

What's the rule for the UK? Why do they enforce it if it's not an AIBA thing

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Syphilis Fish posted:

The guantlet was loving terrible though. there were like 25-30 people in class, so I had to walk up and down while everyone whipped me with their belts. It was godawful since one of the belts wrapped around and got me in the nip :(

Huh? What's the point of that? Some kind of stupid hazing ritual?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Yeah every BJJ club does it. It's a standard thing when you get a belt promo. From your reaction I can only wait until someone gets sued over this.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Syphilis Fish posted:

I got my purple belt in BJJ last night!

It was very unexpected - I thought maybe next month after the in house tournament (which will now be much harder), or something, but I definitely feel elated.

Overal, Super Happy!

congrats :) that's a great achievements!

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Huh? What's the point of that? Some kind of stupid hazing ritual?

Yeah, my school does this too. It's pretty stupid but BJJ already has the whole "group bonding through sharing the same physical pain and inflicting it on each other" thing going on, whether you want it or not, so I have a hard time really seeing the harm. It's like, if your boss made you step into a boxing ring with him it'd be criminal, but if your boxing coach does it it's Tuesday. I don't think there is really the potential to traumatize someone or escalate steadily into horrendous torture or any of the other stuff that makes hazing a generally serious issue.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
You spend all that time getting locked, submitted, choked out, broken joints, slammed into the floor and you're really going to complain about people slapping you with a cloth belt? I know it hurts, but you have to be the wettest blanket in the world to cry about it

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Guilty posted:

You spend all that time getting locked, submitted, choked out, broken joints, slammed into the floor and you're really going to complain about people slapping you with a cloth belt? I know it hurts, but you have to be the wettest blanket in the world to cry about it

I'd be majorly turned off if they did that at my club not because of it hurting but just because it seems like childish macho bullshit and I'm an adult, and I don't need to be slapped with a belt as some kind of team-building initiation rite. What's wrong with a handshake?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
A handshake or maybe a quick manly kiss on the mouth or something.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Guilty posted:

Yeah, I'm not crying about it; it hurts, but it was fun. Some people hit hard, others hit as hard as they're comfortable with. Its just something we do, everyone is happy, its fun. I dont think you have to do it, but its just something you do when you get your belt. Its not that big of a deal.

edit - like, its not like i couldn't roll this morning or anything. I wouldn't want to roll right after. That reminds me, I still owe myself icecream or something.

Syphilis Fish fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 5, 2013

Metal Gear
Dec 10, 2006

This is SomethingAwful.com

Novum posted:

A handshake or maybe a quick manly kiss on the mouth or something.

They save that one for your black belt.

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008
Thanks for the advice on cornering. I'm going to be the second, so it should be a breeze.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I'd be majorly turned off if they did that at my club not because of it hurting but just because it seems like childish macho bullshit and I'm an adult, and I don't need to be slapped with a belt as some kind of team-building initiation rite. What's wrong with a handshake?

Pretty much where I stand. I'm out there to have a good time in my pjs (maybe win some tacky medals) not join Project Mayhem.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I don't see what purpose it serves.
You want to prove you are worth the new rank?: Go on the floor and work your butt off.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

You guys are lame as gently caress.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

e: nevermind, dumb derail. Grats to Syphilis Fish on his purple belt.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 5, 2013

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I've never been to a club that does that, but if I ended up at one, I wouldn't whinge about it on the internet. You guys are pussbags.

Congrats on your purple, Syphilis. Purple belt is huge.

Inab
Oct 9, 2010
I'm interested in starting martial arts training at 26 with no prior experience at all. I'm in good cardiovascular shape and run a lot, but I don't have a lot of strength. Mostly I'm interested in improving my flexibility and body awareness. There's two places near me, one that does taekwondo and another that does kajukenbo (never heard of it). I went to the taekwondo place last night for a free class and it seemed fine, but they were really pressuring me to sign a 3 month contract right then and there so I got out quick. I haven't looked at the kajukenbo place yet but will soon, actually I was hoping someone who can spot a bad gym could look at the their website and see if there are any obvious red flags. Really I'd never know the difference between a good and bad place, but I don't want to get scammed by one of the bad ones. Here's the website:

http://www.hardingkarate.com/default.html

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Inab posted:

I'm interested in starting martial arts training at 26 with no prior experience at all. I'm in good cardiovascular shape and run a lot, but I don't have a lot of strength. Mostly I'm interested in improving my flexibility and body awareness. There's two places near me, one that does taekwondo and another that does kajukenbo (never heard of it). I went to the taekwondo place last night for a free class and it seemed fine, but they were really pressuring me to sign a 3 month contract right then and there so I got out quick. I haven't looked at the kajukenbo place yet but will soon, actually I was hoping someone who can spot a bad gym could look at the their website and see if there are any obvious red flags. Really I'd never know the difference between a good and bad place, but I don't want to get scammed by one of the bad ones. Here's the website:

Those all look terrible but this place is in your town, have fun: http://www.unitedelitemma.com/

Guilty
May 3, 2003

Inab posted:

Wikipedia posted:

Kajukenbo is a hybrid martial art that combines Western Boxing, Judo, Jujutsu, Kenpo Karate, Eskrima, Tang Soo Do, and Kung Fu. It was founded in 1947 in Oahu, Hawaii, at the Palama Settlement.

hahahah no.

What are you looking for? aesthetics? Do Wushu or Capoeira. Fitness? Boxing, Kickboxing, Capoeira. Practicality? Boxing, Muay Thai, BJJ, Judo, MMA.

edit: god I love martial arts even more since the advent of the internet. Looks like that 'art' is all about crotch punches and hitting people while they're having seizures

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpyR4Y7QGs0

Guilty fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 5, 2013

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Guilty posted:

hahahah no.

You mean you wouldn't want these guys to be your coaches?

Guilty
May 3, 2003

Mechafunkzilla posted:

You mean you wouldn't want these guys to be your coaches?

I stand corrected, after all, who can argue with results?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAXNfn5HVPE

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Guilty posted:

hahahah no.

What are you looking for? aesthetics? Do Wushu or Capoeira. Fitness? Boxing, Kickboxing, Capoeira. Practicality? Boxing, Muay Thai, BJJ, Judo, MMA.

edit: god I love martial arts even more since the advent of the internet. Looks like that 'art' is all about crotch punches and hitting people while they're having seizures

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpyR4Y7QGs0

0:45-0:48 :stonk:

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 5, 2013

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

i can't stop giggling after watching dumb martial arts videos help

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

quote:

but they were really pressuring me to sign a 3 month contract right then and there so I got out quick.
Its annoying as gently caress but even good gyms do poo poo like this now.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

My camp in Thailand didn't actually even mention money til I'd been there like a month

JasonRiverwind
Feb 2, 2009

Inab posted:

Kajukenbo is a hybrid martial art, combining a lot of different styles. The way it was explained to me was a couple of black belts of different arts were stationed together in Hawaii, and decided to trade techniques and came up with Kajukenbo.

It can be a good art, depends on the teachers, same as any style. A real MMA school will have you getting into a lot of man hugs with other guys, so if thats not what you are interested in, skip an MMA school. Most TKD schools honestly are crap. No one should be trying to enforce a contract on you the first time you walk in the door. They should offer a free week of classes, then discuss signing you up.

Then again, my school is in a garage at a friends house :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

gimpsuitjones posted:

My camp in Thailand didn't actually even mention money til I'd been there like a month

Thai camps (with the exceptions of the ones that cater to farang like Tiger and Fairtex) make most of their money from fighter purses, so they lock up their fighters with restrictive contracts and aren't too concerned with collecting money from hobbyists.

American fight schools make most of their money from hobbyists, so they get them into long term contracts while not being too concerned about collecting money from their fighters (assuming they have them)

• Locked thread