Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Are you saying Durkon is a vampire mummy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

As long as he's not a vampire mage. That never, ever works out well.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?
I was rereading Strip 865, which points out how alarmingly dependent the party's plan for this Gate was on Durkon, and I noticed this line from Roy in the third-to-last panel: "A spellcaster who's banishing monsters is a spellcaster who's not killing us. I'll take two, thanks."

Two of which kind of spellcaster, Roy? Should have been more specific there!

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0865.html

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today
I wonder if a speed-vamp wakes with full hit points. It'd be funny if Belkar broke free of the Hold spell and Malack hadn't changed the last order he gave him (to attack Durkon) and Belkar finished Durkula off right away.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Ponsonby Britt posted:

I was rereading Strip 865, which points out how alarmingly dependent the party's plan for this Gate was on Durkon
Now I want to see Vampire Durkon try to disguise himself and rejoin the party to see how he wiggles his way around stuff like that.

"That's totally an Astral Deva, the horns are to show it was sent by Thor." :v:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Hmm, it's getting late and no ninth comic yet. I kind of hope he misses the deadline so we get another nine in a row at some point.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

He's been posting them a bit more then 24 hours after each other. Following this pattern, the next comic should be out in a bit more then an hour.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

LightWarden posted:

Speaking of weird rules, for those who are interested in such things, the Traditional Games forum has a thread for some of the weird game rule logic that rises up when you take these things way too seriously.

LightWarden posted:

There are lots of things you can use this maneuver for. Iron Heart Surge your way out of a debilitating spell, or maybe shake off a disease or poison. But what is an effect? Can you use Iron Heart Surge to end hunger or thirst? What about the infirmity of old age? Or poverty?

And it says that "that effect ends" not "that effect ends for you", so if you use it to shake off a spell cast on your whole group, it ends the spell entirely for everyone, not just relieving them of the effect for a round.

Well, Drow and Orcs are blinded by bright light, and dazzled if they linger in it. So if a drow in daylight uses Iron Heart Surge... daylight ends immediately.

neonchameleon posted:

The depressing thing about Iron Heart Surge is that it might be able to end gravity by the rules as written but it can't end dazes or dominates because it takes an action to use.

I love it, thank you for this link

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Maybe Durkon can take a level of that to get the feat and Iron Heart Surge away his vampirism. Or if he likes being a Vampire he could just Iron Heart Surge away the sun as required.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

greatn posted:

Maybe Durkon can take a level of that to get the feat and Iron Heart Surge away his vampirism. Or if he likes being a Vampire he could just Iron Heart Surge away the sun as required.

Unfortunately, Iron Heart Surge is a 4e ability, and OotS is stuck in 3.5 forever. :)

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

ConfusedUs posted:

Unfortunately, Iron Heart Surge is a 4e ability, and OotS is stuck in 3.5 forever. :)

Actually it's originally from the 3.5 "Tome of Battle", which is the version they're referring to.

Incidentally, the only time I can remember OOTS referencing ToB is one of the stories in "Snips, Snails and Dragon Tails" when someone asked Roy why he wasn't a warblade and he answered "My dad wouldn't pay for a PhD."

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

ConfusedUs posted:

LightWarden posted:

3.5e has the Tome of Battle: The Book of Nine Swords, a book designed to give fighting characters more awesome abilities divided amongst nine different schools of battle. One of these schools is Iron Heart, focusing on determination and weaponskill to achieve almost supernatural things.

One of those maneuvers is Iron Heart Surge.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I stand corrected. :)

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

:siren: #879: Running on Empty :siren:

Well, that answers that question.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today
I'm sad that that's the 9th comic, I really enjoyed this being daily for a while.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

Sefer posted:

I'm sad that that's the 9th comic, I really enjoyed this being daily for a while.

Is it wrong to have hoped Rich would have missed today so he would have to start the nine day run again?

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
It's okay Belkar, I feel the same way right after I donate blood too.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I for one am glad this comic run happened over this event. Waiting day to day was agonising enough but I feel like all the questions and speculation we've had have been answered.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Malack sure is a reasonable gentleman for Vampirelizardhitler.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

spoon daddy posted:

Is it wrong to have hoped Rich would have missed today so he would have to start the nine day run again?

You do know that the reason Rich was able to do this was because he held comics back for a little bit though, right? This was a great time to do it as people wanted to know what would happen but I'm sure he'll take whatever measures are appropriate for other anticipation-heavy events.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cliff Racer posted:

You do know that the reason Rich was able to do this was because he held comics back for a little bit though, right? This was a great time to do it as people wanted to know what would happen but I'm sure he'll take whatever measures are appropriate for other anticipation-heavy events.

He did slightly, but he was also unsure if he'd make the nine day run; he was still pushing making them whilst it was happening.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
It's a pretty good sign that he could put any sort of constraint on his thumb holding out: I don't expect regular updates anytime soon, but I'm hopeful now his injury won't be a problem anymore.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Let's face it: the Order hasn't been this boned since they split the party. Durkon's worse than dead, Belkar's in lousy shape, V's gone bye-bye mentally, again, and that just leaves the core team at Roy, Haley and Elan. Who are the emotional and tactical core of the team, to be sure, but without their heavy-hitters...

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Speedball posted:

Let's face it: the Order hasn't been this boned since they split the party. Durkon's worse than dead, Belkar's in lousy shape, V's gone bye-bye mentally, again, and that just leaves the core team at Roy, Haley and Elan. Who are the emotional and tactical core of the team, to be sure, but without their heavy-hitters...

Honestly, I'd say they're way more boned now than they were back then. They had a reasonable prospect of recovery and moving on with things, it was just gonna take some time, and their individual bits (and Roy's corpse) were at least semi-secure. Here, they're totally goddamn screwed.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Speedball posted:

What we have here is a situation where about the only thing that could save them from the New and Improved Linear Guild would be the arrival of Xykon, Redcloak, and MitD.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wonder if this gate has some kind of destruct method or mechanism as well in case of it falling into the wrong hands.

(Also, I wonder if Dorukan and Lirian's rifts have gone nuts like Soon's has, or if that was a side effect of the way it was destroyed. Or some other reason. Xykon was feeding it people, right?)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Mar 6, 2013

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Is there any chance Girard isn't actually dead and has some ridiculous backup plan in case one too many evil beings/high level casters start snooping around the place?

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot

MikeJF posted:

I wonder if this gate has some kind of destruct method or mechanism as well in case of them falling into the wrong hands.

(Also, I wonder if Dorukan and Lirian's rifts have gone nuts like Soon's has, or if that was a side effect of the way it was destroyed. Or some other reason)
That might be what finally spurred the Elves into action - Lirian's Gate was in the elven lands, right?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

jng2058 posted:

What we have here is a situation where about the only thing that could save them from the New and Improved Linear Guild would be the arrival of Xykon, Redcloak, and MitD.

I can see this resolving in a three way battle where the order is essentially batted aside so the big boys can fight it out and then have to try to get to the next gate. The likelihood of the story ending with their being another gate in play is slim but not impossible.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Mar 6, 2013

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

SirDan3k posted:

I can see this resolving in a three way battle where the order is essentially batted aside so the big boys can fight it out and then have to try to get to the next gate. The likelihood of the story ending with their being another gate in play is slim but not impossible.

Agreed, but with what's left of the Order realizing they can't hold this Gate and going for a Gate demo instead. Possibly by mentioning Soon and letting Girard's self-destruct go off...since you know he's probably got one ready to take out any Sapphire Guard who manage to get all the way to the Gate.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I'm more and more convinced that Belkar is going to live. It's that old "He's changed so much that the Belkar the prophecy was about is already dead" theory. Look at him in this strip.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
The OOTS is so hosed now...

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Vadun posted:

Is there any chance Girard isn't actually dead and has some ridiculous backup plan in case one too many evil beings/high level casters start snooping around the place?

Doubtful, even though he was 1/4 black dragon ancestry he still had the life expectancy of a normal human. Soon was already dead before the Order started their quest and Dorukan was a very old man during Start of Darkness, so the odds of the corpse in the sarcophagus not being Girard's would be pretty slim. Roy even pointed out that the teeth implied death by old age.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

TunaSpleen posted:

Doubtful, even though he was 1/4 black dragon ancestry he still had the life expectancy of a normal human. Soon was already dead before the Order started their quest and Dorukan was a very old man during Start of Darkness, so the odds of the corpse in the sarcophagus not being Girard's would be pretty slim. Roy even pointed out that the teeth implied death by old age.

Also, of course, the whole Familicide thing. That's pretty big too.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer
But what if, hypothetically, Girard was some sort of sentient undead? (Not happening since he's chaotic good unless he got vamped by an albino legless lizard as well, but I digress) Would Familicide be able to target those who aren't technically alive?

...On second thought, I don't want a four-page derail about house ruled spells that was probably already done back when V first went nuts. I'm going to put myself in Burlew's position and assume that Girard is dead as a doornail and his only plan was to leave the place in the hands of his progeny, reasonably not expecting an epic spell to accidentally wipe out generations of kin instantaneously.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

SirDan3k posted:

They absolutely have to go north to the dwarven lands, or at least Durkon does, as per the prophecy.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
As long as Soon was constantly walking around with Death Ward activated he'd be fine!

I have the best taste in this whole damn place
I'm really curious as to how this will change Durkon's personality and views on things. Malack seems like a reasonable type with all cognitive functions seemingly intact for the most part, so sans caring about other people so much (although Malack cares about others(?)), I don't see how this would change Durkon's feelings about what needs to be done with regards to the gates/Xykon.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Even with his Free Will reactivated he'll be under a forced alignment change to Evil, which will affect his personality. Right?

I think this is one of those things where we won't know how Rich is going to interpret things until it happens.

But yeah, he'll probably still be very much for saving the world. He does still live on it, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

MikeJF posted:

Even with his Free Will reactivated he'll be under a forced alignment change to Evil, which will affect his personality. Right?
Even Evil, on the short term i don't think Durkon will be happy about the gate being unprotected. I wouldn't be surprised either if he prefer to worship Hel over Nergal. But on the long term who know.