Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

BoyBlunder posted:

Is there a thread somewhere where I can ask questions about small-time home repair? I just bought my house about 6mos ago, and need some advice regarding a couple of small jobs around the place.

Something like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Namarrgon posted:

Something like this?

That works! Thanks!

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Is there a good free program for removing audio from video? I took some video on my phone and want to upload it to Youtube but I don't want to include the sound to the video.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Couldn't find an equivalent thread for this kind of question in Games, so I'll post here:

What are some recent high-quality open world sandbox-esque RPG or FPS PC games that you all would recommend? I'm enjoying Skyrim and Far Cry 3 right now and enjoyed GTA IV, Fallout: New Vegas, and Mass Effect a lot. I still have Just Cause 2 in my Steam Library.

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.

TheRamblingSoul posted:

I still have Just Cause 2 in my Steam Library.

As in you haven't played it yet? Play it now.

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
The Witcher 2, while not entirely open-world, will still scratch that itch. Also, Sleeping Dogs is fantastic. Some people love S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games, so you might give those a go. Just Cause 2 is very good.

e: Have you played Saint's Row 3? Play Saint's Row 3!

TheGame fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 5, 2013

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
What are the laws regarding murders that happen in outer space? Let's say I'm writing a science fiction or superhero book where the villain transports his victim into out space somehow and murders them, thinking he'd be off the hook if he does it outside any jurisdiction.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Baron Bifford posted:

What are the laws regarding murders that happen in outer space? Let's say I'm writing a science fiction or superhero book where the villain transports his victim into out space somehow and murders them, thinking he'd be off the hook if he does it outside any jurisdiction.

Any country can take jurisdiction for murder that happens in space to one of their citizens.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I have a combination microwave that approves using a metal accessory. I was under the assumption you absolutely cannot use metal under microwave energy. Why then can I use a metal rack here?

Also, please help me figure out what's the difference between "grill combi" and "convection combi". I thought it might just be a difference in temperature (since you can't set it for grill combi) but even the approved accessories are different.

Vegetable fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 5, 2013

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

The problem with metal in microwaves comes from the fact that electricity flowing through the metal will arc between two points that are nearby in space, but not in distance along the metal. For example, the ends of the tines of a fork are a few millimeters away from each other in space, but several centimeters along the metal. A fork will definitely spark in a microwave. A knife on the other hand is mostly one flat continuous piece, and would probably be fine in a microwave. Its the same thing with aluminum foil unless its perfectly flat, it will arc between two close pieces.

A metal rack designed to be microwavable will take these facts into consideration. You should stick with the racks that came with your microwave though, a metal rack for oven use might still spark.

Xenoborg fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 5, 2013

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

you shouldnt doubt yourself
you know more about goats than you give yourself credit for

Lyz posted:

Probably the best and easiest way would be to burn them onto a DVD or CD and hand them out. Save the letters as PDFs because it would probably be the most likely program that everyone would have (if they're computer savvy at all). Also, they can take the CDs to printing places if they would rather have physical copies.
I like this idea, I'm worried about CDs being lost over time, but I can just upload a copy somehwere for myself until I need it again, thanks.

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

I think the Library of Congress Veterans Project would be very appreciative of a copy.
That's cool, too. I'll look into it.

Thanks everyone else for your suggestions, I appreciate it :)

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
What is dadcore?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Is it true you can't turn off the backlight on a kindle paperwhite?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cakefool posted:

Is it true you can't turn off the backlight on a kindle paperwhite?

It's a frontlight but yes you can't turn it off, you can only turn it down to almost off. If you do that the battery life is still weeks on a charge though.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Weeks at 30 minutes a day. Seems like a stupid decision but hey.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Vitamins posted:

Is there a good free program for removing audio from video? I took some video on my phone and want to upload it to Youtube but I don't want to include the sound to the video.

Virtual Dub
Audio -> No Audio
Video -> Direct Stream Copy
File Save as AVI

It might not open certain file formats though. You can install AVISynth to get around that but it will probably be a PITA.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cakefool posted:

Weeks at 30 minutes a day. Seems like a stupid decision but hey.

That's the exact same battery life as the models without lights built in though.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Install Gentoo posted:

That's the exact same battery life as the models without lights built in though.

I just checked & the paperwhite has a 28 hr battery vs the touch 21 hrs, okay then.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
What would be the easiest way to go about finding out what was originally built in a particular place? My coworkers are trying to figure out what was on the property my job is at before the current facilities were built.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

spixxor posted:

What would be the easiest way to go about finding out what was originally built in a particular place? My coworkers are trying to figure out what was on the property my job is at before the current facilities were built.
Your clocal property tax records may be available online and should be searchable by address.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

TheGame posted:

The Witcher 2, while not entirely open-world, will still scratch that itch. Also, Sleeping Dogs is fantastic. Some people love S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games, so you might give those a go. Just Cause 2 is very good.

e: Have you played Saint's Row 3? Play Saint's Row 3!

Between Just Cause 2, Sleeping Dogs, and Saint's Row 3, which is the best for just plain loving around and maximum fun? I actually like Far Cry 3 and Red Dead Redemption if not for randomly heading out to hunt down some bad guys and seeing a big cat predator thrash your enemies out of the blue.

I ask since I'm on a solid state drive and want to go with one. I happen to have all three. I'd lean towards more graphics intense games due to building this computer recently.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

TheRamblingSoul posted:

Between Just Cause 2, Sleeping Dogs, and Saint's Row 3, which is the best for just plain loving around and maximum fun? I actually like Far Cry 3 and Red Dead Redemption if not for randomly heading out to hunt down some bad guys and seeing a big cat predator thrash your enemies out of the blue.
Just Cause 2. Get the BoloPatch and just cheat from the beginning. Your grapple gun is fun normally, but it's downright hilarious with infinite strength ropes and multiple shots. Infinite ammo is how the game should be played anyway since none of the missions are particularly hard and most just revolve around blowing up everything in sight anyway. For pure ridiculousness nothing beats JC2.

Sleeping Dogs is a really fun and surprisingly complex fighter, and the only reason I'd suggest JC2 over it is that you can't attach a jeep-load of badguys to a 737 and watch them fly away in Sleeping Dogs.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Cakefool posted:

I just checked & the paperwhite has a 28 hr battery vs the touch 21 hrs, okay then.

I've heard people mention the "Kindle touch" on several occasions, but it doesn't actually seem to be a thing. Do you mean the Kindle Fire or is there an actual "Kindle Touch" that I just can't see on the website?

TheRamblingSoul posted:

Between Just Cause 2, Sleeping Dogs, and Saint's Row 3, which is the best for just plain loving around and maximum fun?

I haven't played the other two, but if you don't play Saints Row the Third you will be missing out on one of the most fun games ever.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Didn't look very hard?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kindle_touch#Kindle_Touch_Wi-Fi_and_Wi-Fi.2F3G

It's basically a Paperwhite with a shittier touch mechanism and no backlight.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tiggum posted:

I've heard people mention the "Kindle touch" on several occasions, but it doesn't actually seem to be a thing. Do you mean the Kindle Fire or is there an actual "Kindle Touch" that I just can't see on the website?

The Kindle Touch has been discontinued now that the Kindle Paperwhite is out. It was the same as the Paperwhite except it didn't have the light and was released a year or so before.

tarepanda posted:

It's basically a Paperwhite with a shittier touch mechanism and no backlight.

The Paperwhite doesn't have a backlight either, that's why it's easier on the eyes then a tablet or something. It has lights in front and a way to spread it evenly so you can read without hurting your eyes.

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

TheRamblingSoul posted:

I ask since I'm on a solid state drive and want to go with one. I happen to have all three. I'd lean towards more graphics intense games due to building this computer recently.

Sleeping Dogs is going to be the most visually impressive and it allows a good amount of fun insanity and over-the-top Chinese spaghetti western drama. Just Cause 2 has some really great destruction and allows fast, fluid movement through the world in a lot of unique ways. Saint's Row 3 is actively funny and allows quite a bit of ridiculous freeform action, but a lot of it is later in the game. For example, flying VTOLs and being able to dive from the top of skyscrapers.

You really can't choose wrong for what it sounds like you're after. I don't remember any of them having the level of spontaneous environmental interaction that FarCry 3 offers, but Just Cause 2 probably gets the closest.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Install Gentoo posted:

The Kindle Touch has been discontinued now that the Kindle Paperwhite is out. It was the same as the Paperwhite except it didn't have the light and was released a year or so before.

From that Wikipedia article it looks like it was never available in Australia at all, which would explain why it wasn't showing up for me on the website.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Should I be compressing raw fraps footage before touching it with an editor? And is there a better place / resource on SA for this? I know of a editing thread on Creative Convention but it seemed to be tailored more towards people who have a career of it and know what they are doing than me and my dumb "I just want to make a well made YouTube thing" inexperienced questions.

helopticor posted:

Maybe you should check out Let's Play. I think the Tech Support Fort might have some good guides/links for whatever you want to do.

Thank you a lot, this helps.

Ularg fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Mar 6, 2013

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Ularg posted:

Should I be compressing raw fraps footage before touching it with an editor? And is there a better place / resource on SA for this?
Maybe you should check out Let's Play. I think the Tech Support Fort might have some good guides/links for whatever you want to do.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

I'm writing a speech for a public speech class about how sports bring people together and I'm looking for one more example. So far I've got the World War I Christmas truce where the soldiers played football and the Mandela rugby/Invictus thing. Can anybody think of another example? Anything movie-related is fine.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Ron Don Volante posted:

I'm writing a speech for a public speech class about how sports bring people together and I'm looking for one more example. So far I've got the World War I Christmas truce where the soldiers played football and the Mandela rugby/Invictus thing. Can anybody think of another example? Anything movie-related is fine.

What about that thing from the news? Where the Down syndrome team manager got put in the game and an opposing team member passed him the ball so he could make a basket? Not quite on the scale of your other examples, but everyone likes a feel good story.

If that doesn't work there is always Rodman going to N Korea.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Brian's Song, it'll make everyone cry.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Or the girl who was carried over home plate by the opposing team when she injured her leg.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=2QNCyBFBTJc&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D2QNCyBFBTJc

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Ron Don Volante posted:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/patriots-season-perfect-for-rest-of-nation,2382/

Seriously, maybe Lou Gehrig's speech on leaving baseball?

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 6, 2013

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
George Bush throwing out the first pitch at a yankees WS game after 9/11.

lushka16
Apr 8, 2003

Doctor of Love
College Slice
I'm wondering if anyone knows of an iOS app where I can precategorize (or prelabel) photos before I take them?

At work I take a lot of pictures of our projects, and I hate having to rename all of the photos once they're on my computer. It would be awesome if I could hit a button and all my subsequent photos have a particular label. I tried to google, but I couldn't think of keywords that would describe what I want.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Ron Don Volante posted:

Can anybody think of another example? Anything movie-related is fine.

I'm confused. Every single sports movie has this happen?

Also, c'mon, what about god drat Rudy?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

lushka16 posted:

At work I take a lot of pictures of our projects, and I hate having to rename all of the photos once they're on my computer. It would be awesome if I could hit a button and all my subsequent photos have a particular label. I tried to google, but I couldn't think of keywords that would describe what I want.

You can use something like Rename Master to rename a whole lot of files all at once. That particular program is for Windows but I expect you can get similar things for other operating systems without too much trouble.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I thought about asking in the business/careers sub-forum, but I didn't see a thread for interviews and this thread will get more views/responses:

I have a job interview in a few hours...I've never considered myself great at them (does anyone?) Anyway, I've already had two phone interviews for this job, and this face-to-face interview is the last one. I really, really want this job, but there's one thing I always hate:

The inevitable "what's your biggest weakness" question. It's the biggest piece of BS in the world of job-hunting. I've read so much conflicting poo poo online. Most places say to always give those cliched "actually a positive dressed up as a weakness" answers, like:
I'm a workaholic
I'm too "detail-oriented"
I get lost in my work

I mean...it seems to me that anyone who does any interviewing at all will see right through that BS...but on the other hand, I don't really want to say something like,
Well, I can be pretty lazy...a good chunk of my time will be spent browsing SA.

The only thing I can think of is to say that sometimes I can get a little behind in my paperwork. It's a real weakness, not a fake one, but it's pretty minor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The best responses are usually just a real weakness you had but were able to overcome. Something like "I had trouble staying focused but now I do x y and z".

The best question I've heard to ask the interviewer is "What's the worst part about this job". You get a lot of insight into the company from those responses.