Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Medullah posted:

Yeah, and based on the shot of Pepper in her underwear in the end, I bet we're going to see her in a suit for sure.

There's a scene in the trailer cut to look like she's inside some kind of torture device. But later they show 8 soldier-looking men in similar devices, like some kind of armor fitting stations. I get the feeling the movie will be a lot less grim than the trailers suggest.

Hopefully they give Pepper the pink armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Medullah posted:

Yeah, and based on the shot of Pepper in her underwear in the end, I bet we're going to see her in a suit for sure.

The IGN article (actual movie spoilers) confirms she gets to be in a suit for a short time during the mansion attack. No idea if she gets to do it again at the end of the film

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Fishylungs posted:

You know, despite initially being really jazzed for the musical, I never heard a thing from it. I wonder if any of the songs from that would fit the bill.

I meant of quality equal to his song from The Muppets, mind you. I've also never heard anything from the Spider-Man musical so I can't say whether there's anything of value there.

(edit: suppose I might as well throw in a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKJKjXAY5bs )

Sarcastro fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Mar 6, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Fishylungs posted:

You know, despite initially being really jazzed for the musical, I never heard a thing from it. I wonder if any of the songs from that would fit the bill.

The musical is something
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07TazzANR8Y

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

This movie is going to sell so many loving action figures.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Well so far Iron Man 3 looks to be a billion times better than the second one.

Chewbacca
Jan 30, 2003

Thugged out since cub scouts

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

There's a scene in the trailer cut to look like she's inside some kind of torture device. But later they show 8 soldier-looking men in similar devices, like some kind of armor fitting stations. I get the feeling the movie will be a lot less grim than the trailers suggest.

Hopefully they give Pepper the pink armor.

Actually I'm relatively certain that those were AIM thugs getting injected with the Extremis virus

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
There is one, and only one thing that I want to happen in Iron Man IV and that is Pepper Potts having her own suit and fighting as a badass.

You cold give me Demon in a Bottle, you could give me Avengers 2: Bigger and Better, you could give me anything and it would not satisfy me as a viewer in the same way that Pepper getting her own armor and becoming a hero would.

I think in Iron Man III rumors confirm that Pepper apparently gets to wear one of Tony's suits for at least a brief moment, but that isn't enough. Not nearly enough. Empower some goddamn women, Marvel.

Thing Fish
Dec 8, 2006
any downers?
Ben Kingsley sounds kind of like Sling Blade in the best way possible.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I was getting kind of an Edward R. Murrow vibe from his performance. I can't really figure out how that could possibly factor in to his character, but there it is.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

feedmyleg posted:

There is one, and only one thing that I want to happen in Iron Man IV and that is Pepper Potts having her own suit and fighting as a badass.

You cold give me Demon in a Bottle, you could give me Avengers 2: Bigger and Better, you could give me anything and it would not satisfy me as a viewer in the same way that Pepper getting her own armor and becoming a hero would.

I think in Iron Man III rumors confirm that Pepper apparently gets to wear one of Tony's suits for at least a brief moment, but that isn't enough. Not nearly enough. Empower some goddamn women, Marvel.

Isn't a huge part of her getting a suit in the comics it not having any combat abilities. As in, she didn't want to kick rear end, her super-hero name was Rescue.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I'm starting to feel like the only person who cannot stand Kingsley's faux-ethnic accent. I guess this is how the people pissing about Bane's voice felt. I really hope I end up as wrong as they were, and that it turns out to actually be mostly alright.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Yeah, it's sounding to me like Pepper in Iron Man 3 wears an armor to escape the mansion destruction, which delays Tony in escaping because he has to suit her up. Then she gets captured and rather than getting to wear a suit again gets Extremis, which in this version of the storyline is basically a nano-tech version of the super soldier serum.

I know the above is speculation, but it's incorporated some pretty big spoilers from various sources, so I thought I'd play it safe for folks.

live nudes
Jun 17, 2004

we like to watch

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Looks pretty cool from a spectacle standpoint and I love whatever the hell Ben Kingsley's going for with his voice but I hope they haven't dispensed with the humor entirely.

With Shane Black at the helm, I can't imagine that would happen.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TetsuoTW posted:

I'm starting to feel like the only person who cannot stand Kingsley's faux-ethnic accent. I guess this is how the people pissing about Bane's voice felt. I really hope I end up as wrong as they were, and that it turns out to actually be mostly alright.

I'm just sort of at a loss to imagine what it's trying to be. It almost sounds Native American in the sort of sing song way they're described as having.

Also, having Kingsley be Osama Bin Laden but with Aviators is the best costume decision.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

computer parts posted:

I'm just sort of at a loss to imagine what it's trying to be.

Seriously, Edward R. Murrow.

http://youtu.be/anNEJJYLU8M

Jimby Nougats
May 6, 2009

So is this rumor true that the movie is going to be so "grounded" that the Mandarin won't even be using his rings? I sure hope not.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

MLIOOBE posted:

So is this rumor true that the movie is going to be so "grounded" that the Mandarin won't even be using his rings? I sure hope not.

Rings are rings, apparently. Shane Black talks about it at the top of this article:

http://io9.com/5988789/joss-whedon-shoots-down-a-marvel-rumor-that-was-too-good-to-be-true-plus-meet-doctor-whos-newest-returning-monsters

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Everyone gets such a hard-on for Pepper turning into Rescue and that plot lasted all of what, 2 years?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

On a slight sidenote, Jupiter Ascending makes Cloud Atlas sound...well, grounded and easy to understand.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

The The Death Of Superman Lives documentary made its goal on Kickstarter. I'm really looking forward to seeing this happen, hopefully with interviews with Tim Burton and Jon Peters.

shdwdmg
May 16, 2008
I pulled some stills from the trailer, anyone know what possible armor Stark Could be jumping into?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Looks like a construction site. The structure at the top of the first image may be one of those counterweights you see on the big cranes.

e:
I completely misread the question as "anyone know what possible armor where Stark Could be jumping into?". :downs:

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 6, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

SpaceMost posted:

Looks like a construction site. The structure at the top of the first image may be one of those counterweights you see on the big cranes.

It's a harbor/sea port. Those are the loading cranes for the big shipping containers. The lego sets of all thing spoil the context of the location if you need to know. Here's a fun mini spoiler from the lego set (armor numbering): The set comes with the Mark 42 armor

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 6, 2013

shdwdmg
May 16, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It's a harbor/sea port. Those are the loading cranes for the big shipping containers. The lego sets of all thing spoil the context of the location if you need to know. Here's a fun mini spoiler from the lego set (armor numbering): The set comes with the Mark 42 armor

I just thought the Shoulders were interesting, along with the color of this armor. If you go frame by frame in 1080P you can see the head lock on mid fall. When I originally saw it I thought he was trying to jump on something else, not into something.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Why bother limiting the Mandarin's powers to being grounded when Iron Man lives in a reality inhabited by loving aliens from space and Norse gods?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MinibarMatchman posted:

Why bother limiting the Mandarin's powers to being grounded when Iron Man lives in a reality inhabited by loving aliens from space and Norse gods?
Why limit Batman villains powers when they live in the same world as Superman and Martian Manhunter?

Sometimes it just fits the story better.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Yeah, just because the other Avengers characters make that a potential excuse doesn't mean the first two Iron Man movies would've been better off with those sorts of elements. Iron Man 1 and 2 had villains who were essentially just smart (?) dudes with money and resources and they're generally sticking to that it seems. Mandarin seems like he's have some endearing eccentricities to be memorable and fit well without needing to shoot beams out of his fingers.

Although if any scenes/post-credit teasers involve Guardians of Galaxy or other space adventures,, magic rings from a crashed spaceship might facilitate that.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Eh. I'm not a fan of Shane Black's treatment of the Mandarin, really. This character doesn't really sound like The Mandarin at all, just a brand new character that only shares the name with the comics character. It's like, for instance, taking Green Goblin, taking away his glider and gadgets and corporate background and just making him a smart and strong street thug that hates Spiderman because he didn't have to 'work' for his power.

Could that Green Goblin still be a good, interesting character and foil for Spiderman? Sure - and I'm sure Shane Black's Mandarin will be an interesting character and foil for Iron Man. But it feels like this could hardly be further removed from the Mandarin of the comics - the Mandarin of the comics is not realistic in the slightest, with his alientech rings and Chi-based, do-anything Kung Fu. Trying to make him realistic is about as useful as trying to make realistic Guardians of the Galaxy; they're characters that are going to be campy (which isn't a bad thing!) unless you change them to the point of unrecognizability, at which point you might as well just make brand new characters.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

He looks like one of the dwarves from The Hobbit. Like, literally, I'm not going to be surprised if he comes at Tony with throwing axes in the climax.

e: Anyway the comic book Mandarin is a ridiculously out-of-date racist caricature and they need to stay as far away from it as possible. I'm kind of shocked they're using the name "Mandarin" in the film at all.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Wasn't Norman still a great villain even after he stopped being the Goblin? He's more defined by being insane now, I think.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Eh. I'm not a fan of Shane Black's treatment of the Mandarin, really. This character doesn't really sound like The Mandarin at all, just a brand new character that only shares the name with the comics character. It's like, for instance, taking Green Goblin, taking away his glider and gadgets and corporate background and just making him a smart and strong street thug that hates Spiderman because he didn't have to 'work' for his power.

Could that Green Goblin still be a good, interesting character and foil for Spiderman? Sure - and I'm sure Shane Black's Mandarin will be an interesting character and foil for Iron Man. But it feels like this could hardly be further removed from the Mandarin of the comics - the Mandarin of the comics is not realistic in the slightest, with his alientech rings and Chi-based, do-anything Kung Fu. Trying to make him realistic is about as useful as trying to make realistic Guardians of the Galaxy; they're characters that are going to be campy (which isn't a bad thing!) unless you change them to the point of unrecognizability, at which point you might as well just make brand new characters.

Mandarin is a dogshit character nobody cares about.

MantisToboggan
Feb 1, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Mandarin is a dogshit character nobody cares about.

Yeah, I don't know much about Iron Man villains but a Chinese stereotype who uses rings from a space dragon's UFO doesn't seem that marketable to me, so I see why Marvel is scaling him back. From the new trailer he seems a lot like the comic book version of Ra's Al Ghul, which is fine by me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
You also have to remember that before the Iron Man movie came out, nobody cared about Iron Man, either.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I used to read tons of comics, I have not a single idea what Mandarin does or what his rings do. For some reason I thought he was Evil Tony Stark from the future.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

You also have to remember that before the Iron Man movie came out, nobody cared about Iron Man, either.

A lot of people seem to forget this.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Supreme Allah posted:

I used to read tons of comics, I have not a single idea what Mandarin does or what his rings do. For some reason I thought he was Evil Tony Stark from the future.

Doesn't each one of his rings have some elemental power or something? Like one is fire, one is lightning, and poo poo like that?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

If Pacific Rim is a success, I hope Iron Man 4 goes copycat and features the construction of a giant Iron Man suit with which Stark battles Fin Fang Foom.

MantisToboggan
Feb 1, 2013

That's true, but Iron Man's appeal is easy to see even outside the films; he's a brilliant, wealthy playboy who uses high-tech armor to fight bad guys. It's a simple concept that works. The Mandarin is really a character who can only exist in comic books unless you bring him down to earth a little bit. I mean, villains like Gorilla Grodd can be fun but they don't really fit into films like Iron Man 3, because seeing them on the page and seeing them on the screen are entirely different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
The appeal is Robert Downey Jr.

• Locked thread