Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
I really don't understand the hesitance surrounding the inXile pitch for Torment. They've already more than shown me that they're capable of following through given their published gameplay video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

FriggenJ posted:

I really don't understand the hesitance surrounding the inXile pitch for Torment. They've already more than shown me that they're capable of following through given their published gameplay video.

For me it's InXile is still unproven. I have doubt they'll release Wasteland 2, and from what I've seen it looks great, I'm just not sure how the finished product will play and look. Still I'll probably back the minimum for a copy of the game with this (baring awesome swag levels).

Also I kinda want to back Mage's Initiation but it looks a little to focused on younger audiences. If the combat looked more like something out of The Immortal I'd back it in a heartbeat.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

FriggenJ posted:

No pre-release video is guaranteed to be representative. They haven't shown you that they're capable of anything until they ship a product.

I know that it's kickstarter and all that but really, please, let's just be realistic about what it means to be giving someone money at this stage. You're making a bet.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Shalinor posted:

Supposedly, there's a wave of these devices hitting the market because of the "teach yourself to focus / meditate" angle they have. It's possible we may see evolved devices that have more sense capability, but even a single axis of control is enough for a huge number of mobile games. Basically any one-touch game could be ported, after a fashion.

(my mom's an author targeting the new age demographic, and is trying to get me to make a game for it - "it's a growth market! tons of opportunity!" ... I may yet. Undecided. I might jam out a simple game in 48 hours, since she's got the headset already.)

I assisted some research once with a device like this. It wasn't one of the commercial one, but one for scientific research with a bunch of nodes that you wore like a tight hairnet. It was a really expensive piece of equipment.

There are four types of brainwaves and we tried to subdivide them out to tell the mental mood of the person. The only thing we could get was the same thing as these commercial devices could - total sum activity of the brain. If you want anything more than that, you HAVE to shave your head and apply that contact gel to the skin to get good connections on the nodes. Even that can be touchy - the skull just blocks everything too much. The real serious things all require implantation and that is a custom job where you have to run a battery of tests to see what part of your brain responds to what because everyone is a little different.

I'm not going to say its impossible, but its a long way off still.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

FriggenJ posted:

Well, for me it's because the whole thing strikes me as a rather cynical use of the name/IP. We could argue at length about the meaning of 'spiritual sequel' and what connections (if any) the creative team at inXile has to the BIS team of old, but basically they're making an unrelated game on which they've slapped the 'Torment' name as a way of drumming up extra funding/sales. It's not a million miles from the way the large publishers behave, and to be honest I'm rather disappointed in them for doing it here.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

DoctorTristan posted:

Well, for me it's because the whole thing strikes me as a rather cynical use of the name/IP. We could argue at length about the meaning of 'spiritual sequel' and what connections (if any) the creative team at inXile has to the BIS team of old, but basically they're making an unrelated game on which they've slapped the 'Torment' name as a way of drumming up extra funding/sales. It's not a million miles from the way the large publishers behave, and to be honest I'm rather disappointed in them for doing it here.

Isn't this exactly what Bioshock did with the System Shock name though? Even if it's just a publicity stunt it tells people what kind of game they're trying to make and the fact they went to the trouble of getting the original IP when it wasn't strictly necessary shows at least a commitment to the spirit of the original, which they honestly need if they're going to try and revisit that territory. I'm not really sure there's a better way to go about it when they're directly trying to evoke those comparisons.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

FriggenJ posted:

Backers are already waiting on Wasteland 2, they already got our money already with no product yet, why do it again? I mean it's good that they're trying to get their next project lined up but at least make some significant progress on your first kickstarter before you go out, hat in hand, for more money. Video pitches don't prove they can release.

Their track record isn't that great to begin with, the Bard's Tale was released in 2004 to minimal fanfare and they haven't had anything of significance since then.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So I received a backer poll for Expeditions: Conquistador, and I thought that meant the game was finally released, since its release date was pushed back to February 28. However, it seems that it's being pushed back yet another "few weeks."

I'm relatively confident that it's not going to end up vaporware (there have already been a few reviews based on press copies and if you pledged high enough they're sending out an early build), but this does seem like a really bad time for their website to be a blank "under construction" page.

Is there any way to still order this game? The premise and the gameplay video/trailer just sold me on it

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Verdugo posted:

Backers are already waiting on Wasteland 2, they already got our money already with no product yet, why do it again? I mean it's good that they're trying to get their next project lined up but at least make some significant progress on your first kickstarter before you go out, hat in hand, for more money.

Because for a company that size, if they aren't working on at least two projects, with funding, at once, they're firing gobs of staff they can no longer afford to keep, and the longer they try to hold onto them with no income, the closer they sail to the risk of the whole company going under. It's either find another publisher to do a contract job for, make a successful pitch of your own to a publisher, or start your next kickstarter. Simple facts of the industry trump Kickstarter fantasy wants.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

NTRabbit posted:

Because for a company that size, if they aren't working on at least two projects, with funding, at once, they're firing gobs of staff they can no longer afford to keep, and the longer they try to hold onto them with no income, the closer they sail to the risk of the whole company going under. It's either find another publisher to go a contract for, or start your next kickstarter. Simple facts of the industry trump Kickstarter fantasy wants.

I was providing an explanation as to why Inexile's Torment pitch has so many people hesitating. Seeing how Kickstarter now is a preorder system way to support a developer / invest in a company place to throw extra money at companies and hope they come out with something resembling their original pledge, I don't blame people for hanging back. Especially since Kickstarter goes FYGM and doesn't hold a project creator accountable for not releasing a project or misrepresenting what their project is.

If they need to operate under a traditional business model for videogame publishing, maybe Kickstarter, which is more of an "indie" project style, isn't the way to go. Hence, the cool reception the announcement is generating.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Perhaps the solution is that the larger companies need to be doing both - using contract work for a publisher to keep people employed as they cycle through their personal KS funded projects. It would seem to be an ideal balance.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

My hope is that these projects do well and start to bring in enough money to make it unnecessary for them to keep coming back to the well. We are still a fair amount away from delivery of some of the bigger projects though.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Verdugo posted:

I mean it's good that they're trying to get their next project lined up but at least make some significant progress on your first kickstarter before you go out, hat in hand, for more money.

That first video of Wasteland 2 didn't show off the whole game, no, but it really did show a lot. Like an fully-built in-game location, several different enemy types, player created characters, a functioning and customizable UI, combat, two NPCs, the dialog system, ambient text, music and sound effects, several player character skills, and even a boss enemy. That's not exactly a vague little teaser.

Oh, and I happen to like Hunted: The Demon's Forge. It's fun.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
No one said it was a vague little teaser. It was a prerelease demo video, which means just about nothing. I'm gonna quote Fergus Mac Roich, who said it pretty succinctly a few posts above:

quote:

No pre-release video is guaranteed to be representative. They haven't shown you that they're capable of anything until they ship a product.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is there any way to still order this game? The premise and the gameplay video/trailer just sold me on it

Their Twitter feed said that when their web site comes back up they should also have ordering info as well. Hopefully that will be sometime soon.

And yeah, from what they've shown the game looks great, in the videos the character dialogue seems integral to the game and it's pretty well written.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Verdugo posted:

What else are we supposed to take the delivery date as?

In that the entry is marked "Estimated Delivery" on Kickstarter, I'd assume we're supposed to take it as an estimate. Turns out people tend to be bad at estimating.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
People are bad at estimating, and bad at reading too. In the rest of that post, I said companies should do proper research and set later dates, to minimize customer complaints and to come out looking better when they finish early. Estimated date is irrelevant anyway, because in early game kickstarters (which still aren't out yet) those guidelines were not in place, it was all introduced May 2012.

Verdugo fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Mar 6, 2013

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
Pre-release videos can be really nice and may accurately portray what a game will be like. They may also differ significantly from the final product:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z2qVebxlUo

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

SneakySneaks posted:

Also I kinda want to back Mage's Initiation but it looks a little to focused on younger audiences. If the combat looked more like something out of The Immortal I'd back it in a heartbeat.

"Needs more guro! ... Quest for Glory, what's that?"

miguelito
Oct 5, 2012

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
(ask me about sexy shaving)

Macaluso posted:

$400,000? :raise:

Between this, Death Inc. and Victory, I think some developers should really consider the scope of their projects. It's not reasonable to go "Hey, our game will be really good, give us half a million please."

I remember Double Fine's projected goal looking like quite the sum, and Schaefer went out of his way to justify the costs in the video. I don't think you see that any more, maybe it's going to take a few more big-goal failures to make people realize that gamers throwing 100k's at your project is by no means guaranteed.

As the owner of an old-rear end creaking useless rig, I'm hoping for more smaller projects in the 10k-50k range anyway which won't be too taxing specs-wise. I know that's a big turnoff for me when considering backing a project.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

King Burgundy posted:

My hope is that these projects do well and start to bring in enough money to make it unnecessary for them to keep coming back to the well. We are still a fair amount away from delivery of some of the bigger projects though.

Honestly, they will never resist the siren's call of the free money well. It just won't happen. Publishers are encouraging games that are already fully funded with distribution lined up to Kickstart their project, just for PR and an earlier cash injection.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Honestly, they will never resist the siren's call of the free money well. It just won't happen. Publishers are encouraging games that are already fully funded with distribution lined up to Kickstart their project, just for PR and an earlier cash injection.

Can you give any examples? I don't doubt you, I'd just like to know which projects to absolutely avoid.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
So the Torment kickstarter just started.

I still feel it's a bit too early, but I understand why they are doing it. Just not sure if I can back this.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
Please back this Torment Kickstarter. A spiritual sequel to the greatest RPG of all time?

Yes please.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Excuse me while I give Brian Fargo more money.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Well, they did address the Wasteland 2 situation rather well, I think. Using terms like "keeping the team together" and everything.

I do not think the presentation of the game itself is as successful, though. It all seemed about reading buzz words out of a script. Brian Fargo also continues to pat himself in the back for that Kicking Forward idea he had.

Finally, it's probably worth mentioning they are going with the $25 Obsidian did for their Eternity game, instead of Wasteland 2's $15.

e: ah, and they just sent an update to Wasteland 2 backers, going into detail as to why Torment 2 has to launch now. Smart move.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 6, 2013

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Wow they're already at $90k.

Poe
Jul 22, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

I still feel it's a bit too early, but I understand why they are doing it. Just not sure if I can back this.

I'm with you. I loved the first one, but aside from Bard's Tale (arguably), inXile and the people behind it haven't finished anything to be excited about in over a decade. I put my money into Wasteland 2 to show some faith given their history, but their track record of late means they have to prove to me they can ship one good product before I pay for a second. I'll buy the new Torment after release.

E: Just read the Wasteland 2 update about it. Pretty much lines up with what people earlier in the thread were saying about wanting to keep the current production crew together, but I still say they need to show what their current assembled team can do at their best before they hit up consumers twice without shipping a product. Save the "inside the industry" rationale for the pitches you give to traditional developers, not the consumers you're basically hitting up for preorders with little to show for it.

Poe fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 6, 2013

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Pretty sure I'm gonna back the Torment kickstarter. I look at it this way: It makes sense that they need to keep a cash flow and project backlog going to retain talent. It also makes sense that they want to try to stay away from the major publishing houses so that they don't get resources sucked away from WL2 or any other pet projects that they (and we) want.

Yes, I might pledge some money and it not go through (like Code Hero). I've been burned. However, I think the risk is worth it. I want a project like this to happen, and I don't think a major publisher will ever make it happen, so I think this is the best chance to see it happen.

miguelito
Oct 5, 2012

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
(ask me about sexy shaving)
My, the kid has grown a lot in one year. :3:

I'm positively inclined, and will back depending on their updates. Their pitch was spot-on already.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I have a huge impulse to just fund the Torment kickstater immediately, but I wasn't particularly impressed with the dialog in the Wasteland 2 footage, and they've said it's going to be all of the same preproduction people, who've already finished writing and designing WL2, who'll be moving onto this project. I don't know what to think.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
$200k in 48 mins.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-
The Torment Kickstarter is leaving me a bit cold, but for a bit of silly reason: I already pledged for Wasteland 2 and Numenera, so at the higher tiers there's some unnecessary overlap.

Oh well. I guess I could give the extra copies away guilt-free then.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Mordaedil posted:

Well, the pitch certainly sold me. I worry a bit that the story is too similar (tracking down your arch nemesis through a series of broken lives he left behind), but it's certainly not identical... and I guess it has been, like, 15 years since that story was told.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Maybe I'm a sucker but I went with the early-bird $20 tier.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Jesus, it hit $300k. At this rate it will be fully funded in one day.

e: $400k now and not stopping! Only 100 of the inital 1000 limited editions available -- those are $100 plus shipping! 200 of the $250 tier are also gone!

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Mar 6, 2013

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
Can't wait for this, Their pitch was excellent. Wonder what Organs I can sell to get that Collectors Edition.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Saoshyant posted:

Jesus, it hit $300k. At this rate it will be fully funded in one day.

Chris Taylor is going to drink himself to sleep tonight.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

miguelito posted:

My, the kid has grown a lot in one year. :3:

I'm positively inclined, and will back depending on their updates. Their pitch was spot-on already.

Yeah, I'm surprised actually. This was going to be right up my alley regardless, but it sounds much cooler than I thought it would.

*edit* 408k now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

Fintilgin posted:

Chris Taylor is going to drink himself to sleep death tonight.

It's not surprising really. Spiritual successor to a beloved isometric RPG vs a MOBA using a new caveman-themed IP.

Edit: Just got an email about Project Awakening failing too. Hopefully they'll try again in a few months when they have some more UE4 footage and tone down the GAME OF YOUR DREAMS crap.