Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Aaronicon posted:

So here's something I haven't seen discussed in the thread. Be nice to finally add it to the Steam library legitimately, especially if the Duke+ mode makes co-op/Dukematches easy again. We've known about Duke3D coming to Steam for a while now but this is the first I've seen or heard about Shadow Warrior 'Complete' but I guess if it makes sense to do all that work on one Build game, might as well do another.
Yeah, Devolver Digital (for they are handling it) leaked a little bit of footage from it onto Vine a while back.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVq4zUEpIcE

From the sounds of things, it's Atomic Edition + a couple of the commercial expansions + Steamworks with a couple of graphical tweaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Cheesegod posted:

Okay, finally caught up with this thread. I didn't see this mentioned at all (I may have missed it) but have you guys seen GUN GODZ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7JNczDp3UM

It looks like what I'd imagine Ken's Labyrinth looking like were it developed today.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I really wish Blood would get another chance at a sequel, sort of like ROTT and not at all like Duke Nukem. I realize there already is a Blood 2, but it was a strange product of the early, awkward years of true 3D, and didn't really capture the personality of the original. Also, Lithtech 1.0 probably didn't do it any favors. The world needs another Tommy Gun, Voodoo, and Dynamite-wielding anti-hero.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

It looks like what I'd imagine Ken's Labyrinth looking like were it developed today.

With that horrible lo-fi "indie" look that so many people seem to think is a good substitute for art.

At least it looks like it handles well.

On an entirely unrelated note, I just learned that the GHOUL addon they made for Soldier of Fortune can be enabled by console in Jedi Knight 2. There's no blood, but it makes for some amusing lightsaber deaths.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Red_Mage posted:

With that horrible lo-fi "indie" look that so many people seem to think is a good substitute for art.

Dare you to do better in the same timeframe. Sprite art gets exponentially more expensive the higher the resolution. The Skullgirls devs are a small indie outfit, but budgeted $150,000 of development costs per character, a lot of which is art.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Dominic White posted:

Dare you to do better in the same timeframe. Sprite art gets exponentially more expensive the higher the resolution. The Skullgirls devs are a small indie outfit, but budgeted $150,000 of development costs per character, a lot of which is art.

"Well, why don't you do it?" is a really lovely comeback to low-quality anything. If sprite art is too expensive, maybe make models???

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Segmentation Fault posted:

"Well, why don't you do it?" is a really lovely comeback to low-quality anything. If sprite art is too expensive, maybe make models???

He didn't say that though. He explained why sprite art is a difficult medium to work with. Project Zomboid (entering that famed lexicon of quite good games with awful names, such as Left 4 Dead) has recently switched to models for this very reason.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

As for 'why not use 3D models?' - well, probably because they wanted a game with sprite art instead of 3D models. They just made art within their means for their budget. They're not trying to pass it off as high art - it's just really expensive and time-consuming to make high-end 2D sprites.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Rather Dashing posted:

He didn't say that though. He explained why sprite art is a difficult medium to work with. Project Zomboid (entering that famed lexicon of quite good games with awful names, such as Left 4 Dead) has recently switched to models for this very reason.

quote:

Dare you to do better in the same timeframe.
:shrug:

A difficult or expensive medium is still not a good excuse for a low-quality output.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Segmentation Fault posted:

:shrug:

A difficult or expensive medium is still not a good excuse for a low-quality output.

Really? Being a low-budget indie game isn't a good excuse for having a low-budget output?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
What I find actually annoying about that is the graphics they're using for the HUD. Now that's just laziness because it isn't period-accurate nor is it really difficult to draw a character set and static indicator graphics.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I actually like how the game looks. It's a matter of taste. And anyway, the game isn't for sale, it was developed as a reward tier for a kickstarter. There's absolutely no way it would have a real budget.

Install Gentoo posted:

What I find actually annoying about that is the graphics they're using for the HUD. Now that's just laziness because it isn't period-accurate nor is it really difficult to draw a character set and static indicator graphics.

I seriously, seriously doubt that period accuracy is the goal.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I seriously, seriously doubt that period accuracy is the goal.

"We're making it look like early FPSes" is the reason everything else int he game looks the way they do. It's fairly accurate to random old early fps games in that respect. Meanwhile the HUD just looks like total and complete rear end.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Install Gentoo posted:

Yeah, that HUD definitely needs a picture of the player making "pain" faces.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Install Gentoo posted:

"We're making it look like early FPSes" is the reason everything else int he game looks the way they do. It's fairly accurate to random old early fps games in that respect. Meanwhile the HUD just looks like total and complete rear end.

According to their Gamasutra article, their artist just happens to be a pixel artist, and one who hates shooters.

quote:

Paul's dislike for shooters allowed him to create a truly fresh style -- it's a bit Wolfenstein 3-D but way more intricate, vibrant and alive.
Look at what he's saying there. It's Wolfenstein 3-D in some ways, but also very specifically not Wolfenstein 3-D. They use the word "fresh".

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

According to their Gamasutra article, their artist just happens to be a pixel artist, and one who hates shooters.
Look at what he's saying there. It's Wolfenstein 3-D in some ways, but also very specifically not Wolfenstein 3-D. They use the word "fresh".

Then he's completely incompetent at what he's trying to do or a liar because nothing about it looks fresh...

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I don't remember if this has already been brought up, but has there ever been a decent port of Doom made for a portable device? I'm aware of the GBA Doom 2 port and the iPhone version, but was there ever a stable source port made with decent controls and custom map support?

(several years of daily train journeys are beginning to get quite dull)

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Convex posted:

I don't remember if this has already been brought up, but has there ever been a decent port of Doom made for a portable device? I'm aware of the GBA Doom 2 port and the iPhone version, but was there ever a stable source port made with decent controls and custom map support?

DSdoom can load pretty much anything PRBoom can and has multiple control schemas (find the one you like). But for pretty much any non-pc doom you'll need a unofficial version to load custom wads. DS flashcards are cheap these days though.

There is a PSP port of Doom Legacy that has hardware acceleration, so that's another option. PSPs can be softmodded so its not particularly hard to get together.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Every so often, I feel a strong desire to load up all of the Community Chest WADs and (attempt to) defeat them. I knock out the first 5 levels of CC1 and start to think, "I forgot why I gave up on this. These levels are pretty ugly and inconsistent but, overall, aren't too bad! I can do this!"

Then I hit CC1 Map 6, "Goin' Down" and, almost immediately, want to delete the WAD. If I kept a "Top 10 Worst Maps" list, "Goin' Down" would go on it. Maybe even the top 5. It's an abomination straight from Sandy Petersen's primordial ooze, except somehow worse. It's like somebody challenged themselves to make a complete map in 30 minutes, except they'd never made a map before, and they were also genetically predisposed to being awful at it. Almost every door is just a wall texture: Every time you hit a dead end, you can bet that you'll have to spend the next minute or two grinding against walls. The enemy placement is inconsistent and bizarre, with weird combinations of monsters that don't even work in the rooms they're placed in. I'm pretty sure the author spent two-thirds of his time on the map just designing the mediocre beginning "hub", since the rest of the map is just sort of haphazard rooms and angles.

It is a horrible loving map and I hate the author forever because of it. I have no idea how somebody can be so terrible at something like this.

How will I ever understand what is going on in CC2 and CC3 if I don't follow CC1?!

EDIT: Apparently the author is dead?

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 6, 2013

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Then I hit CC1 Map 6, "Goin' Down" and, almost immediately, want to delete the WAD. If I kept a "Top 10 Worst Maps" list, "Goin' Down" would go on it.

I never played much of the CC maps because they aren't really that great, so I had to look up a video to see what you were talking about. Nothing at all seems bad or confusing about the map until he clears out the blue room at about 4:00 in. Then everything goes to poo poo. I'm not sure if I'd have the same reaction playing it as you, but it honestly doesn't seem that bad.

Then again, the guy in the video knows what he's doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN5r-jmD37I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUsuyQn2m9w

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 6, 2013

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Oh right I remember that map. Yeah it super sucks!

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

quote:

Kevin "Magikal" Reay, designer of MAP06: Goin' Down and MAP29: Citadel at the Edge of Eternity, was found dead on May 20, 2003, twenty-four days before the megawad's release.

:(

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

I never played much of the CC maps because they aren't really that great, so I had to look up a video to see what you were talking about. Nothing at all seems bad or confusing about the map until he clears out the blue room at about 4:00 in. Then everything goes to poo poo. I'm not sure if I'd have the same reaction playing it as you, but it honestly doesn't seem that bad.

Then again, the guy in the video knows what he's doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN5r-jmD37I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUsuyQn2m9w

Yeah, prior to the blue room, the map isn't good, but it isn't bad, either. Once you get into the blue room, though, you start seeing its true colors. It feels like the dude designed the room and then sort of improvised with the hidden doors and teleporters, either to pad the level a bit or provide an additional "challenge". The room after that (the lava room) is acceptable but, shortly thereafter, it goes back to the dropping-rooms-hidden-doors mess with the addition of invisible switches.

Like you said, the guy in the videos has clearly blown through the map a time or two--it's a significantly different experience for the uninitiated. I know there are worse maps but I honestly hate this loving garbage map with all of my heart. :argh:

Wait he made map 29 in CC1, too? I wonder if it's as bad.

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Wait he made map 29 in CC1, too? I wonder if it's as bad.

I'd say it's better than Goin' Down, he definitely put way more effort put into it. But it's got similar rough spots that make it difficult to recommend.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The sounds are horrible in these recording. What happened to them?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Red_Mage posted:

DSdoom can load pretty much anything PRBoom can and has multiple control schemas (find the one you like). But for pretty much any non-pc doom you'll need a unofficial version to load custom wads. DS flashcards are cheap these days though.

There is a PSP port of Doom Legacy that has hardware acceleration, so that's another option. PSPs can be softmodded so its not particularly hard to get together.

Thanks :) I did give DSdoom a try but it seems to have random crashing issues and I've never been able to figure out why. The PSP port sounds interesting, and PSPs are cheap enough that it might be worth picking one up to try it out.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Cat Mattress posted:

The sounds are horrible in these recording. What happened to them?

Old, janky recording software from the looks of it, plus it sounds like it has microphone detection/auto-ducking turned on, so whenever the guy breathes hard enough for it to be detected, the sound on the game gets squashed further.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Convex posted:

As far as iPhones go, I've got the Wolfenstein and Doom ports. The Wolfenstein one is actually great, the slower pace of the game means the touchscreen controls really aren't that big of a handicap, and they patched in the expansion pack levels for free. I seem to recall there being some sort of online level editor for it but opening the app now I can't find anything referencing that, I must be crazy.

The Doom port is.. still fun, but it has some flaws. It takes a little more effort to set up the controls in a nice way compared to Wolf3D (both games are pretty customizable there, which is good.), and since it's Doom you're gonna take a lot more incidental damage due to the controls. They removed Nightmare difficulty, and when you die there's an option to restart the level "with gear", which gives you a shotgun, as far as I could tell. Also the UI design for weapon selection is a little wonky, and will result in accidentally taking out the chainsaw a lot until you learn how to avoid lifting your finger or just stop picking up chainsaws. They put a slot for the super-shotgun in the weapon select but there's no Doom 2 app! <:mad:>

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Toilet Rascal
They were probably planning Doom 2 for iOS at the time and never got around to it for whatever reason.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
The only reason I could imagine for that is a sudden crippling allergy to massive piles of money.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The engine itself should be able to handle all four main Doom IWADs, so if the iGizmo lets you, you could replace the IWAD with another. This might be of interest as well.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Another version of Brutal Doom Arsenal was released today. It's a considerable improvement over the original--but still an alpha. I think the overall quality of the firearms has been improved, although there are a few turds in the bunch (like the double-barreled shotgun, which has sits perfectly still when fired). Also, even though each slot has 3 or 4 weapons available for it, you can only carry 1 weapon per slot at any given time. I don't particularly mind that, but I'm sure a lot of people will have issues with it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Another version of Brutal Doom Arsenal was released today. It's a considerable improvement over the original--but still an alpha. I think the overall quality of the firearms has been improved, although there are a few turds in the bunch (like the double-barreled shotgun, which has sits perfectly still when fired). Also, even though each slot has 3 or 4 weapons available for it, you can only carry 1 weapon per slot at any given time. I don't particularly mind that, but I'm sure a lot of people will have issues with it.

What am I supposed to use it with? It errors out on the latest gzDoom SVN and Zandronum.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Fallom posted:

What am I supposed to use it with? It errors out on the latest gzDoom SVN and Zandronum.

Are you sure you're using the latest GZDoom version? I'm using r1535 (from Mar 02) and I'm not having any issues with it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Are you sure you're using the latest GZDoom version? I'm using r1535 (from Mar 02) and I'm not having any issues with it.

Yep, that's the one I'm using.

quote:

Execution could not continue.

Script error, "UltimateBrutalArsenalAlphaV02c.pk3:decorate.mp40" line 3:
Unexpected '1' in definition of 'MP40'

Edit: Got it working, for some reason loading it up in the launcher wasn't working but dragging and dropping the files onto the exe worked.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 7, 2013

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Is there a way to use the alternate weapons in wads that don't support them, other than console commands? The grenade launcher in particular would be pretty rad.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Fallom posted:

Yep, that's the one I'm using.

Looks like somebody mentioned the same issue in the ZDoom Projects thread and they recommended updating to the GZDoom version I linked. So if that's not fixing it, then I have no idea.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

RyokoTK posted:

Is there a way to use the alternate weapons in wads that don't support them, other than console commands? The grenade launcher in particular would be pretty rad.
The old Hierarchy of Chaos mod allowed this, as well as replacing soul and megaspheres with either the additional powerups (doomsphere etc) or the multiplayer relics (Rage, Regeneration, High Jump etc). Not to mention a TON of really cool monster replacements. It's basically a simpler version of Aeons of Death.

That mod got me through the second Community Chest megawad. Sadly I lost my copy of HoC when my old hard drive died - if anyone has it, please do share it :)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Fallom posted:

Edit: Got it working, for some reason loading it up in the launcher wasn't working but dragging and dropping the files onto the exe worked.

Probably a load order issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Devolver Digital's been tweeting that they're releasing a new version of Duke Nukem 3D on Steam called "Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition". It's basically Duke 3D: Atomic Edition and all of the expansions, Duke it out in DC, Life's a Beach and Nuclear Winter, in one package. It'll use OpenGL and include Steam achievements. It's coming out later this month and will be on the PC and Mac.