Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Mine outputs video, but at a 3:2 ratio. I don't know if it outputs audio because the only thing I have with an HDMI input is a monitor.

Is it letter boxed or squished?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Is it letter boxed or squished?

Pillarboxing.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3461482&pagenumber=192&perpage=40#post412697748

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
So I bought an N10 today and it's totally groovy. I really enjoy using it and does my girlfriend. One question, is it possible for us to share apps? As in, if I download Google Reader, is there a way to push it to her app screen or does she need to download it from the Google Play Store?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Wildtortilla posted:

So I bought an N10 today and it's totally groovy. I really enjoy using it and does my girlfriend. One question, is it possible for us to share apps? As in, if I download Google Reader, is there a way to push it to her app screen or does she need to download it from the Google Play Store?

She can either download it herself (its free), or you can do what I did and root it, and use an app called multi-user app share.

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

What are the pros and cons to rooting my N7? I've never rooted any of the 15 or so android devices I've owned but I'm considering rooting this one. Mostly because I'm bored. I have a metric ton of market apps I've purchased so I don't want to break that capability. I really just imagine myself doing a lot of reading and researching and then loving up and tearing my hair out and destroying my tablet whenever I think about rooting anything.

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Donated $20. Get well, Lowtax.
Fun Shoe

kstatix posted:

What are the pros and cons to rooting my N7? I've never rooted any of the 15 or so android devices I've owned but I'm considering rooting this one. Mostly because I'm bored. I have a metric ton of market apps I've purchased so I don't want to break that capability. I really just imagine myself doing a lot of reading and researching and then loving up and tearing my hair out and destroying my tablet whenever I think about rooting anything.

Pros:

Total system backup
System-wide ad blocking
Control over CPU speed
Ability to use various apps that require root

Cons:

Wipes your tablet
Might invalidate warranty

Your market purchases won't be affected by rooting, that much I can guarantee. The Nexus line is practically impossible to "brick". I deleted my entire system accidentally with TWRP (thought system wipe meant data/cache), and it took 15 minutes to get up and running again.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Rooting a Nexus device doesn't invalidate your warranty because you can restore to stock very easily if you ever need to RMA it, plus Google don't care anyway.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm getting more and more annoyed with the state of media on Android tablets. Yeah, most of the major services are there, but they're all in a perpetual poo poo state.

Netflix - no 1080p streams. I have a 2560x1600 screen, more CPU grunt than my TV or blu-ray player probably has, but I'm stuck with these mobile streams that are only HDish. Also, for whatever reason, Netflix and bluetooth audio is a useless combination as the audio lags behind the video quite a bit (not a problem on any other video service.)

Hulu+ - no HD at all. This is a major major downside and the main reason why I won't be keeping Hulu+ past the trial.

Vudu - No HD streaming or downloads. Limited hardware support.

Flixster - See Vudu

HBO Go - Quite good image quality when it's working right, but 4.2.2 broke it on the Nexus 10 which results in unusable jerky playback.

MAX Go - Similar problems to HBO Go, only device support is MUCH more limited. This makes little sense since the app is an exact clone of HBO Go.

Adult Swim - I was downloading better quality quicktime videos back in 1995.

Epix - Video quality just not what it could be.

I just want to enjoy high quality video on my high resolution tablet, but that's proving to be drat near impossible.

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

What're you guys using for a video player? I'm on a N7 and I've had two different mkv files play with no audio in both MX player and Vplayer. Any pointers?

Also, what're you guys using for file transfer? USB is fairly slow, I tried using Wifi File Transfer Pro but it's slower than USB.

Edit: Apparently you can mess around with the settings to make MX Player work. I've tried several different video players now and BS Player is one that will play mkv files flawlessly out of the box.

kstatix fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Mar 5, 2013

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

For the file transfers, try AirDroid.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

kstatix posted:

What're you guys using for a video player? I'm on a N7 and I've had two different mkv files play with no audio in both MX player and Vplayer. Any pointers?

If you get no audio in MX Player, tap the H/W icon in the top right corner of the screen and switch to Software decoding. I think it says "S/W Decoder". That's always worked for me when I watch my 10bit animes.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jerk McJerkface posted:

If you get no audio in MX Player, tap the H/W icon in the top right corner of the screen and switch to Software decoding. I think it says "S/W Decoder". That's always worked for me when I watch my 10bit animes.
There's also an option for software audio with hardware video, if I remember correctly.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

kstatix posted:

On my N10, my main player is MX Player, but I find BS Player more often will revert to H/W decoding and plays everything. While MX Player might come across a couple of the issues you addressed. I just like the UI within MX Player better, so I only use BS Player if MX can't play a file properly.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

bull3964 posted:

I'm getting more and more annoyed with the state of media on Android tablets. Yeah, most of the major services are there, but they're all in a perpetual poo poo state.

Netflix - no 1080p streams. I have a 2560x1600 screen, more CPU grunt than my TV or blu-ray player probably has, but I'm stuck with these mobile streams that are only HDish. Also, for whatever reason, Netflix and bluetooth audio is a useless combination as the audio lags behind the video quite a bit (not a problem on any other video service.)

Hulu+ - no HD at all. This is a major major downside and the main reason why I won't be keeping Hulu+ past the trial.

Vudu - No HD streaming or downloads. Limited hardware support.

Flixster - See Vudu

HBO Go - Quite good image quality when it's working right, but 4.2.2 broke it on the Nexus 10 which results in unusable jerky playback.

MAX Go - Similar problems to HBO Go, only device support is MUCH more limited. This makes little sense since the app is an exact clone of HBO Go.

Adult Swim - I was downloading better quality quicktime videos back in 1995.

Epix - Video quality just not what it could be.

I just want to enjoy high quality video on my high resolution tablet, but that's proving to be drat near impossible.

Not only this, but Youtube is jerky and stalls even on fiber (and not HD, either, I mean the lower streams). Not just an Android problem, but seems worse on my tablet and phone.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

I can't find a player for Amazon's Instant Video for Prime subscribers anywhere in the Play store.

Am I out of luck here? Am I missing something obvious? I have a nexus 10 so I can't do flash and I can't stream from the website and I figured Amazon might have an app. Maybe not?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Telex posted:

I can't find a player for Amazon's Instant Video for Prime subscribers anywhere in the Play store.

Am I out of luck here? Am I missing something obvious? I have a nexus 10 so I can't do flash and I can't stream from the website and I figured Amazon might have an app. Maybe not?
AIV only streams to Kindle Fires.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Telex posted:

It's not in there; even though Flash isn't supported anymore, a lot of people have been able to install it anyway and get it to work. It worked on my TF700 running 4.1.1

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

Syrinxx posted:

AIV only streams to Kindle Fires.

Or Apple devices.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Splizwarf posted:

Not only this, but Youtube is jerky and stalls even on fiber (and not HD, either, I mean the lower streams). Not just an Android problem, but seems worse on my tablet and phone.
It's gotten jerky on my PC and it's never worked properly on my PS3 (with the official app). I don't know what's up, except that they seem to have drastically reduced the amount videos will buffer in advance. I don't know why this has been changed. I can no longer just pause for a few moments to pre-load to make up for any connection hiccups like I used to.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
If you're on Time Warner, they started (illegally? who knows) throttling YouTube at some point in the recent past. Google around, there's an IP you can block to get it streaming lightning fast.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Thank you. After researching on broadbandreports, looks like it's not unique to Time-Warner: http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/r28064070-YouTube-cache-server-bypass-trick

This had been driving me nuts for a long time.

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

Daimo posted:

In case anybody is interested, here is the LCARS bootscreen I've edited for a Nexus 7:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/vc7mg5

http://youtu.be/8m-6A0Tgi3s

This is awesome and I'm adding to my N7 the second I get home from work!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

teethgrinder posted:

Thank you. After researching on broadbandreports, looks like it's not unique to Time-Warner: http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/r28064070-YouTube-cache-server-bypass-trick

This had been driving me nuts for a long time.

Jesus, this poo poo has been driving me crazy, 30mbps connection and cant stream a tiny rear end youtube clip.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Yeah, I figured something was up when around 6 months ago I was suddenly not able to watch a single Onion video on YouTube without having to Pause N' Cache twice in the middle. I mean, Google is bad at a lot of things, but servers and speed is not one of them.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Woot has the 32GB Version of the Note 10.1 (refurbished) on sale... Thoughts?

I personally would like a 4G version which is slated to release on Verizon soon.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Krime posted:

Woot has the 32GB Version of the Note 10.1 (refurbished) on sale... Thoughts?

I personally would like a 4G version which is slated to release on Verizon soon.

The Verge gave it a 5.4. That's really saying something, considering their reviews can say "this thing is absolute trash and you would be stupid to buy it" and they'll still give it a 6 or 7.

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

So after about 4-5 hours of gently caress ups and do-overs I finally successfully flashed a custom ROM to my n7. The community for android rooting sucks balls for a complete noob. It was painful for me to decipher some things. It took me quite some time to figure out the difference between grouper and tilapia. Im very tech savvy in many other aspects but this... Seriously sucked to learn.

Anyway, my question is do any of you have recommendations for custom ROMs? My first and only success story was with Xenon HD and while I like it I have one issue thats driving me nuts. For some reason the top and bottom column of my home screens are cut off. All icons and widgets at the top are 2/3 cut off and on the bottom they clip into the application dock. There are options to set row and column size but nothing seems to fix it.

I just want to hear about a handful of ROMs you guys have had positive experiences with because wading through rootzwiki and xda is loving painful and there's a huge list of roms available.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

kstatix posted:

So after about 4-5 hours of gently caress ups and do-overs I finally successfully flashed a custom ROM to my n7. The community for android rooting sucks balls for a complete noob. It was painful for me to decipher some things. It took me quite some time to figure out the difference between grouper and tilapia. Im very tech savvy in many other aspects but this... Seriously sucked to learn.

Anyway, my question is do any of you have recommendations for custom ROMs? My first and only success story was with Xenon HD and while I like it I have one issue thats driving me nuts. For some reason the top and bottom column of my home screens are cut off. All icons and widgets at the top are 2/3 cut off and on the bottom they clip into the application dock. There are options to set row and column size but nothing seems to fix it.

I just want to hear about a handful of ROMs you guys have had positive experiences with because wading through rootzwiki and xda is loving painful and there's a huge list of roms available.

I really like Paranoid Android. It's the only one I've tried so far. I agree completely about the difficulty of deciphering what's going on in the android community. Anyway, I've really grown to love the expanded desktop mode that Paranoid Android has.

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

Day Man posted:

I really like Paranoid Android. It's the only one I've tried so far. I agree completely about the difficulty of deciphering what's going on in the android community. Anyway, I've really grown to love the expanded desktop mode that Paranoid Android has.

Thanks I'll check that out.

Also since the n7 doesn't have an SD card slot what's the best way to save your backups?

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

kstatix posted:

Thanks I'll check that out.

Also since the n7 doesn't have an SD card slot what's the best way to save your backups?

Titanium Backup, then just copy them onto your computer.

As to which ROM to use, Just try them all out until you find what you want. The hard part is rooting the N7, after that everything is gravy. Personally, I'm using BeatMod Crystalclear, which is pretty much stock CyanogenMod10 with some audio & video tweaks and the option to choose your Kernel/Launcher/UI Mode/etc on install like the old Kitchen roms.

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

Tornhelm posted:

Titanium Backup, then just copy them onto your computer.

As to which ROM to use, Just try them all out until you find what you want. The hard part is rooting the N7, after that everything is gravy. Personally, I'm using BeatMod Crystalclear, which is pretty much stock CyanogenMod10 with some audio & video tweaks and the option to choose your Kernel/Launcher/UI Mode/etc on install like the old Kitchen roms.

I'm using titanium for my app data, I suppose I could use it for full apps. I actually paid for the full app and the UI defeated me and I wasn't sure how this dropbox syncing worked. I'll try again when its not 4am.

Anyway, I was talking about the backup option within CWM. Am I understanding this right that this is a full system backup that restores a carbon copy top to bottom?

Should I be in another thread?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

kstatix posted:

Anyway, I was talking about the backup option within CWM. Am I understanding this right that this is a full system backup that restores a carbon copy top to bottom?

Should I be in another thread?

Yes to your backup within CWM question. Also, try the rooted Android thread. For any of the Nexus devices, you don't really need to wade through XDA or other forums to simply root it, they're made to be easily unlocked and rooted. The rooted thread might have some advice on custom roms, if you can say what features you're looking for that aren't in stock.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I want a Samsung tablet, but all of the Samsung tablets at the store seem to have a proprietary (ugh) connector.

The only two Samsung tablets with micro usb seem to be:

Note 2
Nexus 10

Am I missing anything?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Hadlock posted:

I want a Samsung tablet, but all of the Samsung tablets at the store seem to have a proprietary (ugh) connector.

The only two Samsung tablets with micro usb seem to be:

Note 2
Nexus 10

Am I missing anything?

Any particular reason you want a Samsung tablet? Other than the ones you listed, they're pretty generally poo poo.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I played around with pretty much every model at Fry's, they were the ones that pissed me off the least. Also, the screens were consistently A quality, especially for the price.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

The only two Android tablets from anyone worth buying are the Nexus 7 and the Nexus 10. The Nexus 10 is made by Samsung and charges via micro USB, so I can't think of a reason to keep searching. Go with that.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I can't seem to get Chrome to display any webpages. It just displays a blank white screen. Is this a common thing? This is happening on a Nexus 10.

Edit: I uninstalled Chrome from the Google Play Store (which seems to have just downgraded Chrome) and it works now.

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Mar 7, 2013

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Hadlock posted:

I played around with pretty much every model at Fry's, they were the ones that pissed me off the least. Also, the screens were consistently A quality, especially for the price.

If you're going for bang-for-your buck, for real, you be crazy to get anything other than the Nexus 7. It's not even close.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Hadlock posted:

If you want a 10" tablet, get the Nexus 10, it's got the best screen of any tablet and is the best performing Android tablet. If you want a 7", get the Nexus 7 unless you want to wait and see if there's a 1920x1200 version coming out this summer. The only reason to get another Android tablet over a Nexus is because you want an SD card slot, stylus or keyboard dock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

If you want a 10" tablet, get the Nexus 10, it's got the best screen of any tablet and is the best performing Android tablet. If you want a 7", get the Nexus 7 unless you want to wait and see if there's a 1920x1200 version coming out this summer. The only reason to get another Android tablet over a Nexus is because you want an SD card slot, stylus or keyboard dock.

I would get the Nexus 7. I had the Nexus7, and sold it to get the Nexus 10, mainly because I really liked the screen cover that snaps on. The screen cover never materialized though. After having both for a few months (and every Android/iPad/Surface tablet ever released), I think a seven inch Nexus tablet is what I prefer.