Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

nm posted:

Spark plugs on EJ257. Do they really last 60k mi?

Mine did pretty well considering. I figure ill try and stick to 60k instead of 70 this next time around... :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011
I'm finally going to replace my up pipe with a GrimmSpeed piece. Should I get new OEM gaskets or aftermarket?

E: The turbo->down pipe gasket and the exhaust manifold gaskets are what I need, according to the GS install video. The other gaskets come with the up pipe.

Neptr fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 4, 2013

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Neptr posted:

I'm finally going to replace my up pipe with a GrimmSpeed piece. Should I get new OEM gaskets or aftermarket?

E: The turbo->down pipe gasket and the exhaust manifold gaskets are what I need, according to the GS install video. The other gaskets come with the up pipe.

I'd get the grimmspeed gaskets...

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
My wagon has been throwing a fit of P1443 EVAP code.

Where do I even begin with it? It seems to happen most below 32*F.

After clearing the code, the car will be an absolute bitch to start up. (06 2.5i Impreza). It'll crank for a half dozen seconds, I'll re-try and it'll fire up.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Sockington posted:

After clearing the code, the car will be an absolute bitch to start up. (06 2.5i Impreza). It'll crank for a half dozen seconds, I'll re-try and it'll fire up.

Fun.

Vent Control Solenoid . It controls whether the evap system is vented to atmosphere through the charcoal canister or sealed off. The system runs the diagnostic by closing the vent control solenoid and the ECU monitors how the tank pressure changes or something like that. Basically, you get to clean all that poo poo out. Have fun! On my 99, the who mess vents into the rear frame rail and that often gets clogged. Not sure how it works on a 2006.

Also, check your gas cap.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
When I bought the car, it immediately through a gas-cap code on the way home.

I noticed the inside threads of the fuel filler were quite rusty for a 2006. I cleared the code,replaced the cap, and it never returned. When winter rolled around, this started happening a whole lot (couple times a week?).

Wonder if I already need a new filler neck :ohdear:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
2006 and the filler already looks this rough.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Do the filler neck and the flappy valve on the back of it and it should solve all your issues.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Looks ok to me.

I would be surprised if the problem was with filler neck, but what do I know?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Make sure to coat the new filler neck in tasty tasty POR15 and maybe rockguard before you put it in there.

I doubt it's the filler neck, I'd guess something in the charcoal/evap system just because that's easier to fix. Torn/missing hose, you know the drill.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Make sure to coat the new filler neck in tasty tasty POR15 and maybe rockguard before you put it in there.

I doubt it's the filler neck, I'd guess something in the charcoal/evap system just because that's easier to fix. Torn/missing hose, you know the drill.

I was thinking the canister at first since the hoses are right behind the rear wheel. Figured a chunk of ice or something pierced the rubber (doing donuts or driving like an rear end), but it looked good at the time.

Until it warms up, I'll just drive with the code reader. I'll take a good look at the hoses and connections in a couple weeks.

My major fear is that the P.O. actually hosed up something on the motor re-install, but it was 4+months later until the codes started appearing.

As for my previous overheating issue, everything's been OK since I unplugged the compressor. I hope to pickup some gauges to check pressures with income tax. I just have to resist the urge to buy some used STi seats from Toronto to cushion my rear end better.

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
My '05 LGT limited has a horrible seating position, at least for my build. I'm 6' tall and mostly torso, so with the seat as low as possible and properly upright/forward, my head is wedged against the roof. Part of the problem is the sunroof eating up headroom, but it's the huge panoramic wagon one, which is awesome.

I don't really want to shell out a ton of money for a new seat, so do you guys think an automotive upholstery place would be able to reshape it without making it (even more) uncomfortable, or am I just boned?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Who wants an OG Subaru incomplete project car for $15k?

Anyone?

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums//showthread.php?t=2476032

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

McSpatula posted:

Are tranny cocktails (uncle scotty's, etc) really worth the trouble over finding extra-s(and on that note, does anyone have an extra-s hookup in Los Angeles)? I'm about to hit 25k miles on the 08 WRX, and am planning on taking care of the 30k service ASAP.

So far, everything feels and runs fine, but I don't know if all that nasioc broscience really makes much of a difference at all.

The subaru dealership in Glendale sells them by the quart for I think $12.50 each. I bought some a few months ago.

VVVV--- Same here. I test drove an 02 with a sunroof and I'm 5' 11" and I felt uncomfortably close to the roof.

Rontalvos fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 6, 2013

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Scrambles posted:

My '05 LGT limited has a horrible seating position, at least for my build. I'm 6' tall and mostly torso, so with the seat as low as possible and properly upright/forward, my head is wedged against the roof. Part of the problem is the sunroof eating up headroom, but it's the huge panoramic wagon one, which is awesome.

I don't really want to shell out a ton of money for a new seat, so do you guys think an automotive upholstery place would be able to reshape it without making it (even more) uncomfortable, or am I just boned?

This is why I got a non-limited. You lose like 2in with the sunroof in that car.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

toplitzin posted:

Who wants an OG Subaru incomplete project car for $15k?

Anyone?

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums//showthread.php?t=2476032

Oh my....... that's some good work on that car.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
He has done an incredible job on that machine. I doubt I could live up to it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Sockington posted:

That sounds a lot like what was happening with my Mazda with the evap system. It was really difficult to start after filling up, actually, but doesn't ever vent to atmosphere as it's a California model. I had it fixed under warranty so I don't remember exactly what was wrong.

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008
My wife's '10 Outback just had the airbag system fault light come on last night. I noticed earlier this morning that the passenger side airbag won't arm when someone is sitting in it. I called the dealer from where we bought the car (used, 45k miles) and they told me that my wife and I probably aren't heavy enough to arm it. So I had my father in-law who is well over 300 pounds sit in it, bounce up and down etc. and it still didn't arm. Google leads me to believe that this is a fairly common problem but I don't see very many results in how to fix it. I'm hoping it's just the sensor under the seat that I can fix myself. It's worth noting that when we first bought the car it had a problem with the fuel gauge not moving above full, but has now started working again.

With the airbag light on, does that render the whole airbag system useless, or is it limited to the passenger dash airbag? I really don't want my wife to roll the dice while driving around with our one year-old.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
The airbag weight sensor on my WRX trips at about 30 lb so that dealership is smoking a lot of crack.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Mikemo Tyson posted:

With the airbag light on, does that render the whole airbag system useless, or is it limited to the passenger dash airbag? I really don't want my wife to roll the dice while driving around with our one year-old.

Trace your wires, and put the kid in the back seat.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I had an airbag light come and go on my 04 WRX years back. The dealer traced it to chewed insulation on a sensor wire somewhere, which made sense as my car had a bad infestation after my dad parked it in the bottom of his yard while I was at sea for 9 months. It seems the mice and rats have a fondness for Subaru wire insulation.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I remember reading something about crappy solder joints on the display up by the rear view mirror on the Outback, might be similar for others. My GIRLFRIEND's car has this problem with the airbag light coming and going on the dash and not picking up that there's a passenger in the passenger seat. I'm going to try and pull that thing and see if there's anything I can do for it. It's about two screws to check so why not.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Anyone want a pitch stop for cheap?

Was made by AFI turbo, and is basically the same as an agency power stop.

It generates a pretty good amount of noise so I went back to stock. Thinking like 40 shipped.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I'll throw it on the rally car for 20 bucks :D

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I'm getting down to the nitty gritty on my upcoming WRX purchase. Looking at a new 5 door, Base WRX package ( no premium/limited). They run MSRP around 25 and some change. The one in particular i'm after ( because it has been in their inventory since December ) has an extra 500 bucks or so in options. (Exhaust finish, Cargo Tray, Autodimming mirror). They're asking 27,300. Truecar, without options, puts a median price at 25,855 + the 500 in options so 26,355.

Im trading in a paid off vehicle that will fetch a minimum of 4k in trade value, so no negative equity, and I will likely bring my own financing.

I'm thinking of offering 26, trading mine in, and see if it sticks. There are two other subaru dealerships within 3 hours drive of here that are in larger markets. Assuming an invoice 25k ( they probably got it cheaper than that ), think 26 is a fair offer. Am I missing something here?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Consider waiting for the 2014, since you will be owning a 1 year old used car if you buy it now.

The way to get the best price is to get an offer from one dealer and bring it to another dealer to see if they will beat it. Do this on the day before or the day of the last day of the month.

(I can't stress how important that is)

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Slow is Fast posted:

I'll throw it on the rally car for 20 bucks :D

Add $5 for the flat rate box and you have a deal.

I feel like I'm driving a luxury car around without it. Well, minus the lovely ride and wind noise from the ski racks.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

jamal posted:

Add $5 for the flat rate box and you have a deal.

I feel like I'm driving a luxury car around without it. Well, minus the lovely ride and wind noise from the ski racks.

miiiinnnneeeeee

(paypal'd)

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

daslog posted:

Consider waiting for the 2014, since you will be owning a 1 year old used car if you buy it now.

The way to get the best price is to get an offer from one dealer and bring it to another dealer to see if they will beat it. Do this on the day before or the day of the last day of the month.

(I can't stress how important that is)

That actually fits my timeframe. Am I right in thinking that invoice on these officially runs about 2 grand under MSRP minus destination charge?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
If you do the pit-dealers-against-each other routine, you need to do a lot of footwork. But it's worth it. You might want to start out with 4 or 5 dealers, as many dealers will drop out way early in this 'bidding' process.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Farking Bastage posted:

That actually fits my timeframe. Am I right in thinking that invoice on these officially runs about 2 grand under MSRP minus destination charge?

Truecar shows the invoice vs. msrp information for every car on their site: http://www.truecar.com/prices-new/subaru/impreza-wagon-wrx-pricing/

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Totally TWISTED posted:

Truecar shows the invoice vs. msrp information for every car on their site: http://www.truecar.com/prices-new/subaru/impreza-wagon-wrx-pricing/

Ok. I did not know if their listed invoice prices were an estimate, or based in truth. Sorry for being so cynical, but I honestly thought that a REAL invoice price posted online would be a lot more than they really have in a car. Again being cynical, if/when a car salesman tells me the invoice price on a vehicle, I assume there's still 2 grand or so in rebates im not being informed about.

Yes these guys need to make at least some profit on a sale( keep the lights on and all ), but I don't see it necessary for a dealership to make 25% off selling my trade(in my case they will), plus making another 20% off the retail sale. Again the reason I don't' trust invoice prices is because of the back end rebates I know happen.

If you make a couple grand off me by selling me a car, that's fine. However, I have absolutely no intention of providing a 20% profit on the sale, and another 30% profit on selling my trade in PLUS whatever kickbacks the bank gives you on a dealer financed loan, which I know happens. In a great deal for the seller, that's an overall 45% profit in of itself when all is said and done.

The dealer needs to make a profit, I fully understand that, but not on both ends of one deal in excess of 20%.

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Mar 8, 2013

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Farking Bastage posted:

Ok. I did not know if their listed invoice prices were an estimate, or based in truth. Sorry for being so cynical, but I honestly thought that a REAL invoice price posted online would be a lot more than they really have in a car. Again being cynical, if/when a car salesman tells me the invoice price on a vehicle, I assume there's still 2 grand or so in rebates im not being informed about.
Well if you hover over the "?" next to "Factory Invoice" it does mention that the number doesn't include discounts, dealer incentives, or holdbacks. I can't seem to select the text to quote it or I would. So you're not wrong about there potentially being other deals being cut that lower the invoice price further, but without current local insider knowledge (because those deals are not set in stone) you can't really determine a more accurate number.

piss boner
May 17, 2003

So the belts started squeeling today, stooped to see what was what and had a large steam coming from the hood. Coolant everywhere, squeezed the hose (circled in green) and had bubbles all the way across (circled in red) where the plastic piece meets the metal part of the radiator. Just to confirm, I need a new radiator, right?

BatDan
Apr 30, 2003

I have recently started having a new frightening sound coming from my Saabaru. Perhaps someone can help me identify what the problem might be? It's winter and I have had to stop driving the car which sucks because this thing is so much drat fun in the snow. And we have plenty of snow here in Cleveland.

The Car:
2005 Saab 9-2X Aero
100350 miles (timing belt due soon. I've been the owner since about 55000 miles)
Has an old accessport but is otherwise completely stock.
Used with Mobil 1 5W-30 synthetic, regular oil changes every 5000 miles approx.

Symptoms:
You might need to turn the volume up a little to hear the sound it makes well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN2-Ca8aW78
From inside the car
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeLl7UzNca4
From outside the car

The noise is a kind of intermittent hammering dependent on engine RPM. It sounds much more significant in person than it does on the video. If I touch something solid on the engine I can feel it happening as well as hear it. The noise seems to be coming from dead center on the engine. The noise worsened quickly over the course of a couple days a couple months ago and I have since stopped driving the car. When it happened I think that car was around a quart or so low on oil. This also happened at about 5000 miles since my last oil change. My phone app was reminding me that my next oil change was due when this occurred. I have not yet changed the oil.

The car seems to be more difficult to start now and the engine seems to stop more quickly when I turn it off, as if there is slightly more drag in the engine. Could be my imagination/paranoia. Power when driving is not noticeably different. It seems to be worse when the car is fully warmed up.

Other possibly related facts
For the last several thousand miles the car had been making a light "tapping" noise that occurred at above 2500 RPM only under light throttle. At full throttle and under deceleration the noise goes away. I figured it was just a valve tapping or something. It is possible that this new noise is the same thing just much more severe. The period of this sound seems similar, however the light tapping noticeably came from the passenger side of the engine. I have an audio file of that noise somewhere that I can dig up.

Also at the same time I noticed that intermittently the air coming in the vents will become cold when idling at a light, but hot air returns when I start driving again. The overflow coolant tank is a little low but not empty. I can see coolant in the radiator and in that reservoir above the turbo.

I recently warmed the car up after it had been sitting for a while and moved it into the garage. I moved it out of the garage where it had been sitting for a few days and noticed a pretty decent sized spot of oil that appears to have leaked out of the passenger side of the engine. It never leaked oil prior to this.

Based on this information, does anyone having any ideas what the problem might be or at some things I can do to help me troubleshoot this issue? I really miss being able to drive this car. :(

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

piss boner posted:

So the belts started squeeling today, stooped to see what was what and had a large steam coming from the hood. Coolant everywhere, squeezed the hose (circled in green) and had bubbles all the way across (circled in red) where the plastic piece meets the metal part of the radiator. Just to confirm, I need a new radiator, right?

Oh boy do you.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

BatDan posted:

I have recently started having a new frightening sound coming from my Saabaru. Perhaps someone can help me identify what the problem might be? It's winter and I have had to stop driving the car which sucks because this thing is so much drat fun in the snow. And we have plenty of snow here in Cleveland.

The Car:
2005 Saab 9-2X Aero
100350 miles (timing belt due soon. I've been the owner since about 55000 miles)
Has an old accessport but is otherwise completely stock.
Used with Mobil 1 5W-30 synthetic, regular oil changes every 5000 miles approx.

Symptoms:
You might need to turn the volume up a little to hear the sound it makes well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN2-Ca8aW78
From inside the car
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeLl7UzNca4
From outside the car

The noise is a kind of intermittent hammering dependent on engine RPM. It sounds much more significant in person than it does on the video. If I touch something solid on the engine I can feel it happening as well as hear it. The noise seems to be coming from dead center on the engine. The noise worsened quickly over the course of a couple days a couple months ago and I have since stopped driving the car. When it happened I think that car was around a quart or so low on oil. This also happened at about 5000 miles since my last oil change. My phone app was reminding me that my next oil change was due when this occurred. I have not yet changed the oil.

The car seems to be more difficult to start now and the engine seems to stop more quickly when I turn it off, as if there is slightly more drag in the engine. Could be my imagination/paranoia. Power when driving is not noticeably different. It seems to be worse when the car is fully warmed up.

Other possibly related facts
For the last several thousand miles the car had been making a light "tapping" noise that occurred at above 2500 RPM only under light throttle. At full throttle and under deceleration the noise goes away. I figured it was just a valve tapping or something. It is possible that this new noise is the same thing just much more severe. The period of this sound seems similar, however the light tapping noticeably came from the passenger side of the engine. I have an audio file of that noise somewhere that I can dig up.

Also at the same time I noticed that intermittently the air coming in the vents will become cold when idling at a light, but hot air returns when I start driving again. The overflow coolant tank is a little low but not empty. I can see coolant in the radiator and in that reservoir above the turbo.

I recently warmed the car up after it had been sitting for a while and moved it into the garage. I moved it out of the garage where it had been sitting for a few days and noticed a pretty decent sized spot of oil that appears to have leaked out of the passenger side of the engine. It never leaked oil prior to this.

Based on this information, does anyone having any ideas what the problem might be or at some things I can do to help me troubleshoot this issue? I really miss being able to drive this car. :(

Sounds like you have the infamous Subaru Rod knock. Your engine is in the process of spinning a Rod bearing is what it sounds like to me.

piss boner
May 17, 2003

Faerunner posted:

Oh boy do you.

Thanks. Anyone know where I can find an all-metal one? Or the part # for an all-metal one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

For all metal ones, I've usually seen mitsumoto radiators being all metal, as well as koyo, I don't have experience with them so I can't really tell you much more about them.