Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Keanu Grieves posted:

gently caress The Last Exorcism Part II. The Collection is the true underdog sequel of the last few months.

And nobody is talking about it! (except on IRC...sometimes)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I really like both Collector movies, The Collection is one of those rare sequels that gets what can be good and worthwhile about sequels. It takes some of the established elements of the first one and expands on them, it doesn't just feel like a remake with a different group of characters. Like how Aliens wasn't just another spaceship crew being taken out one by one by the Xeno, Cameron understood that there was no point in making that movie again.

On that subject I should go look up who directed The Collection and see if they've done anything else.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.

Basebf555 posted:

I really like both Collector movies, The Collection is one of those rare sequels that gets what can be good and worthwhile about sequels. It takes some of the established elements of the first one and expands on them, it doesn't just feel like a remake with a different group of characters. Like how Aliens wasn't just another spaceship crew being taken out one by one by the Xeno, Cameron understood that there was no point in making that movie again.

On that subject I should go look up who directed The Collection and see if they've done anything else.

I don't know why but when people bring up The Collector I get it confused with Blood Creek.

I wish there was a kicking sequel to that movie. Nazi Vampires rule.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

schwenz posted:

I don't know why but when people bring up The Collector I get it confused with Blood Creek.

I wish there was a kicking sequel to that movie. Nazi Vampires rule.

Um that fine film was about Nazi Wizards, not Nazi Vampires. Sheesh.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Drunkboxer posted:

Um that fine film was about Nazi Wizards, not Nazi Vampires. Sheesh.

Whatever, he's kept alive by being fed the blood of captured humans.

surviving on blood = vampire

Nazi Zombie Vampire Wizard, if you please.

"Those who came before rule the blood. And when you rule the blood, death is no longer the end." - Richard Wirth

justlikedunkirk
Dec 24, 2006
The Collection is so hilariously incompetent, but it's definitely a better film than The Collector.

My favourite part of Collection was probably when that blond girl who was his slave or whatever freaks out and then steps on a trap out of loving nowhere that stabs her entire body. I really wish the series would just embrace this stupidity head-on rather than try to take itself seriously in any way.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

So, my mom popped in 12/12/12 during dinner. Movie started with weird oiled up girl sacrifice to Satan and then cuts to a nursery ward with the same baby scream repeating over and over. Then, there's a 27 hour birth sequence.

She made it that far until she turned it off.
Has anyone seen this? Is it worth watching? I generally don't like starting a movie without finishing it, but may be willing to let this one slide.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

This is kind of cool.
Someone made a fan trailer with Evil Dead 1 and 2 and did it in the style of the upcoming remake.

http://youtu.be/Io8etcWGumQ

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Skywalker OG posted:

So, my mom popped in 12/12/12 during dinner. Movie started with weird oiled up girl sacrifice to Satan and then cuts to a nursery ward with the same baby scream repeating over and over. Then, there's a 27 hour birth sequence.

To be fair, a 27 hour birth sequence is a helluva lot more realistic than the, "my water broke, okay push for thirty seconds, now here's your perfectly healthy baby!" way that most other movies portray labor and delivery.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Devil Wears Wings posted:

To be fair, a 27 hour birth sequence is a helluva lot more realistic than the, "my water broke, okay push for thirty seconds, now here's your perfectly healthy baby!" way that most other movies portray labor and delivery.

You forgot that it's a three month old baby and she cusses at the dad.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Someone up-thread said that Rob Zombie 'missed the point' in his Halloween remake. Anyone care to elaborate?

e: I haven't seen either, just curious.

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 6, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SpaceMost posted:

Someone up-thread said that Rob Zombie 'missed the point' in his Halloween remake. Anyone care to elaborate?

If I had to guess, it was that he took great pains to give Michael a thorough and plausible psychological motivation, which is exactly what the original doesn't do.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Devil Wears Wings posted:

As someone with a baby due on Monday I can confirm this.

Everyone knows that L'Interieur is the absolute zenith of realistic onscreen births anyway.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
I ordered this awhile ago, it's out tomorrow and I'm starting to have regrets.

The Comedown
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Hr8XrMgui0

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

So I was watching horror shorts on YouTube, and this one really stuck out. It's an incredibly mean spirited throwback slasher about a clown with an ending that left me like this :stare: for about a minute. Very much worth 20 minutes of your time

Terrifier -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARNeTMFJ2us

Tolkien minority fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Mar 7, 2013

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

If I had to guess, it was that he took great pains to give Michael a thorough and plausible psychological motivation, which is exactly what the original doesn't do.

This, the character was terrifying because they were a broken human being that would overlook everything including normal human responses to pain in order to carve up his victims. He wasn't broken because other kids were mean to him, he just congealed in his mother's womb and was shat out pure evil.

Trying to humanise the character is really weak and misses the point of the original character. Kind of like if someone re-made dirty harry and had him break down crying because he brassed someone up with his .44.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Real talk: Resolution loving owns.

Thanks to whoever recommended this.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

BlindSite posted:

This, the character was terrifying because they were a broken human being that would overlook everything including normal human responses to pain in order to carve up his victims. He wasn't broken because other kids were mean to him, he just congealed in his mother's womb and was shat out pure evil.

Trying to humanise the character is really weak and misses the point of the original character. Kind of like if someone re-made dirty harry and had him break down crying because he brassed someone up with his .44.

What's your opinion on Busta Rhymes kung-fu kicking Michael Myers to death in the movie before the remake? Do you think that better represented the jobby of pure evil story arc? Not that this is a good argument for why the remake should be appreciated, but it sure was a big part of why I came out of the remake very happy. Myers was a brutal force of nature again & the question of nature vs. nurture was still left open - the relationship with Loomis was also heightened (& was better than the original) because of the approach Zombie took.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

BlindSite posted:

On the other hand, I really enjoyed it because it was such a fresh take on the character. I don't think of it as necessarily missing the point, but more of Zombie's answer to the question of "what if Myers did have a more human motivation? What would that look like?" While the remake could have rehashed the original in that regard, I find it more interesting to look at familiar material from a different angle, and thought Zombie did a good job with it. (I make no comment on the sequel, since I haven't seen it.)

After so many films with Myers as a silent, emotionless killing machine, having him slamming his victims to the ground and beating them to death while snarling with guttural rage in the remake really added to my enjoyment.

eta: And to be honest, I'd quite like to see a Dirty Harry remake that took a hard look at police brutality and the negative effects the gritty violence of the original movies could have on a person.

Mazzagatti2Hotty fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 7, 2013

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Do they still show birth videos in high school health class? The ultimate body horror.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

After so many films with Myers as a silent, emotionless killing machine, having him slamming his victims to the ground and beating them to death while snarling with guttural rage in the remake really added to my enjoyment.

I think more people would have appreciated the change if Zombie had made the movie in the early to mid-90s when the slasher genre was really stale, before Scream came out. By the time Zombie did it the whole "gritty and raw" thing seemed like a tired cliche already. The original Michael was something people may have seen as a change of pace from the horror being released at the time, but Zombie has a very specific style and I doubt he will ever stray from it all that much.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

I liked zombie's Halloween, but I loved his Halloween 2. It's no longer constrained by carpenter's original story, so zombie just goes bat poo poo insane with it. There are some sub par performances, but malcolm McDowell and scout taylor Compton own. Laurie's not a stereotypical "last girl", she's a traumatized teen trying to rebuild the remains of her life, who can't escape her past no matter what she tries. The dream sequences are pretty good if weird and stylish, with the hospital one being great.

My only real complaint is that the child actor they got for it sucked and gave a much worse performance than the kid in the first film.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Profondo Rosso posted:

I liked zombie's Halloween, but I loved his Halloween 2. It's no longer constrained by carpenter's original story, so zombie just goes bat poo poo insane with it. There are some sub par performances, but malcolm McDowell and scout taylor Compton own. Laurie's not a stereotypical "last girl", she's a traumatized teen trying to rebuild the remains of her life, who can't escape her past no matter what she tries. The dream sequences are pretty good if weird and stylish, with the hospital one being great.

My only real complaint is that the child actor they got for it sucked and gave a much worse performance than the kid in the first film.

Yeah. Halloween bores me even though I appreciate Zombie's work in it. I pretty much love Halloween 2 though. It actually bothers to explore what a survivor of those situations would likely go through. I also loved the opening lip-service to the hospital setting of the original Halloween II.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta
The RZ Halloween bored me for the same reason that most RZ movies bore me: he retreads the same cliches over and over again in between shots of his wife's boobs. If he managed to make a movie that didn't have Sheri Moon as a "burlesque"/redneck stripper and managed not to fall back on the "deranged redneck" stereotype then perhaps I'd have a little more respect for his work.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

demozthenes posted:

The RZ Halloween bored me for the same reason that most RZ movies bore me: he retreads the same cliches over and over again in between shots of his wife's boobs. If he managed to make a movie that didn't have Sheri Moon as a "burlesque"/redneck stripper and managed not to fall back on the "deranged redneck" stereotype then perhaps I'd have a little more respect for his work.

Yeah, that scene that happened at the beginning really took over the whole film :confused:

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Profondo Rosso posted:

So I was watching horror shorts on YouTube, and this one really stuck out. It's an incredibly mean spirited throwback slasher about a clown with an ending that left me like this :stare: for about a minute. Very much worth 20 minutes of your time

Terrifier -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARNeTMFJ2us

I'll take "things that give horror movies/fans a bad name" for 600.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

weekly font posted:

I'll take "things that give horror movies/fans a bad name" for 600.

The youtube comments really bear that out:

WHY DON'T YOU GO CRITIQUE AN EPISODE OF MR. BELVEDERE?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

penismightier posted:

The show so fancy you need an Ivy League degree to understand...

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

penismightier posted:

The youtube comments really bear that out:

That's gotta be

Right? Or am I naive.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Last night I got to see a screening of Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 at International House in Philadelphia. It was my first time seeing it and I quite enjoyed it. After the screening there was a Q&A with Bill Mosely who plays Chop Top in the film. He was super cool and nice and gave a lot of insight into working in horror films for the last 25 years.

The screening was put on by a group in Philly called Exhumed Films. They show old horror movies at IHouse all the time. Just a couple weeks ago I saw their double feature of The Video Dead and Dead Heat. I also attended their 24-hour film festival this past year that they have every October. If you live in Philly, definitely check these guys out.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Dissapointed Owl posted:

That's gotta be

Right? Or am I naive.

I see you're new to the wonderful world of youtube comments!

I envy you :smith:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's clearly the guy who made the film and his buddy. You can tell because the comments aren't pointlessly racist, misogynist, anti-religion, anti-Beiber, homophobic, witlessly parroting some meme or giving the timecode for a 2 second long view of tits.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

So at work, a group of us got together and suggested horror movies that the others should watch, and one guy suggested Marebito which I watched last night.

IMDB page
Wiki synopsis

A cameraman becomes obsessed with fear and what people see when they die. After witnessing a suicide, he tries to find what drove the man to kill himself, and comes across a strange woman with...unusual eating habits.

I enjoyed it quite a bit, but I warn anyone checking it out that it has looooooong stretches of nothing happening. Like a lot of J-horror it relies heavily on setting and maintaining an atmosphere of unease, which I think it does really well through the recordings the main character makes and the use of sound. However, there's very, very little action in most of these scenes.

It also has a pretty ambiguous ending, so if you're the kind of person that NEEDS to know what happened, this might not be the movie for you. It presents the events and leaves it up to the viewer to decide what happened, and from my perspective, there are a lot of ways it can be interpreted.

My friends rented it off Amazon Prime, but I think you can find it on YouTube as well.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Zombie Samurai posted:

It also has a pretty ambiguous ending, so if you're the kind of person that NEEDS to know what happened, this might not be the movie for you. It presents the events and leaves it up to the viewer to decide what happened, and from my perspective, there are a lot of ways it can be interpreted.

This seems to be the case with most J-Horror.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's clearly the guy who made the film and his buddy. You can tell because the comments aren't pointlessly racist, misogynist, anti-religion, anti-Beiber, homophobic, witlessly parroting some meme or giving the timecode for a 2 second long view of tits.

It's definitely a misogynistic littls short, but it had tension, decent acting and some pretty decent scares. But yeah those comments are horrifying.

Re marebito I posted it a while ago as I really liked it. The scenes in the underground are great and the movie bleeds atmosphere.

It also stars Shinya Tsukamoto aka probably the only other new wave Japanese director as influential and talented as takashi miike. Seriously, check out his stuff. Start with tetsuo, which is very very much not typical Japanese horror. His style is really unlike any other

Nightmare detective 2 is his take on a more typical "j horror" and it owns hard and no one has seen it. (Plus it's on YouTube!)

Soseji is another horror film of his that Is more psychological.

(I also really like Bullet Ballet and Tokyo Fist, which although dark are not horror)

I feel like in this thread he's known as "that dude who made Tetsuo" and y'all need to fix that!

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Honestly, I feel like Tsukamoto lost a lot of his touch after he started doing larger-budgeted movies. The first two Tetsuo movies, Tokyo Fist, and Bullet Ballet kick unbelievable amounts of rear end but the rest of his movies don't really have that surreal, nightmarish feel to them.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

I have to disagree. It's definitely not the same as his early 90's out in that it's less "grimey" but with the exception of the first nightmare detective all of his films in the 2000's have been very good to great (I haven't seen his latest yet though)

Have you seen Haze or Snake of June?

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
Saw The Pact yesterday on Netflix. It was a pretty solid slow-burner type of mystery/horror (which is my favorite type). It wasn't amazing or anything, but I'd recommend it. The weak points were when things (ghosts) were shown explicitly, but given the story line, it was acceptably delivered. Some violence, little blood, no gore or torture type stuff. Any longer would have been too much, but it was only 90 minutes. 4/5

It does fit into that Ghost who are misunderstood category that others mentioned a few pages ago, so if that's a retread you'd rather not deal with, then you might skip it in favor of something else. (Sorry, couldnt' think of a way to phrase this without giving something away.)

StickySweater fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 7, 2013

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

StickySweater posted:

Saw The Pact yesterday on Netflix. It was a pretty solid slow-burner type of mystery/horror (which is my favorite type). It wasn't amazing or anything, but I'd recommend it. The weak points were when things (ghosts) were shown explicitly, but given the story line, it was acceptably delivered. Some violence, little blood, no gore or torture type stuff. Any longer would have been too much, but it was only 90 minutes. 4/5

It does fit into that Ghost who are misunderstood category that others mentioned a few pages ago, so if that's a retread you'd rather not deal with, then you might skip it in favor of something else. (Sorry, couldnt' think of a way to phrase this without giving something away.)

The problem I have with The Pact is the short is way, way better. It's like someone making a horror film in as few steps as possible and it's awesome. All of that gets lost in the full movie. I like the full movie but it just was nothing like the short which led me to see the full movie in the first place.

On another note, I just watched The Woman In Black and thought it was pretty terrible. I just didn't find it scary. The movie is kind of vague for 2/3rds of it's running time and it hurts the movie because I have no idea why I'm supposed to be scared of this ghost. The ending was also somehow both predictable and bizarre at the same time. The movie had a few good images and it had one good jump scare I hadn't really seen before but pretty much nothing else in the film did a thing for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yo, watch the TV version of The Woman In Black.