Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Since when did State law supersede Federal law? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

ratbert90 posted:

Since when did State law supersede Federal law? :psyduck:

Already been discussed in this or the pics thread, but take your pick:
A) When state legislature decided to ignore any laws they didn't agree with and throw massive tantrums, and the federal government smacks them down anyway. Most likely response to things like this and the Wyoming(?) law.
B) When the federal government decided to go easy on enforcing federal law which conflicts with state law. Most likely response to the marijuana legalization in certain states.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
sure I'll teach you how to fish but it's gonna cost you $70,000 and take 4 years

also you might not actually learn how to fish

all sales are final

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

VideoTapir posted:

They are paid more. That doesn't include BAH

Not only does it not include BAH, it's also about half what I made as an A1C. Seriously, I was pulling in $22,500 after taxes.

Of course, I had a buddy from my old training post that, when I went off on how inaccurate it was and how self-entitled it sounds, blocked me.

All because I had the gall to remind him that the USAF was paying $180,000 just to train us (specifically, we were linguists), there were no housing charges for us, no bills (i.e. water, electric, gas, internet, etc.), we had free healthcare, free dental, free (government-related) travel, and that was ignoring civilian businesses/agencies offering military discounts (no baggage check fees at airports, free meals on Veteran's day, discounts for AD servicemembers, etc.). We were basically being paid over $20K/year in blow money that we could spend however we see fit.

The fact that he never had any money was his fault for being 18 and ignoring ALL the finance briefings we had and never going to command for financial advice (another free service offered by some of our NCOs).

There are a lot of things enlisted members don't see in their paycheck that adds up to come near if not equal to that civilian salary; most of us just see what we received at the end of the month and bitch. I loved the paycheck but goddamn I don't ever want to re-enlist because that was a giant pile of bullshit. Now I'm just going to enjoy the free college education I "earned" by learning Chinese and then getting out (another unseen benefit).

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

It's really easy to ignore all the arguments the opposition has when you think they're taking marching orders from actors. I literally don't know a single liberal that quotes celebrities in their arguments. Why does this myth persist? Last I checked, we had two actors as Republican governors and one actor as a Republican president compared to a single celebrity Democrat senator.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

VideoTapir posted:

They are paid more. That doesn't include BAH

Junior enlisted probably live in barracks. So, free housing, free utilities, free meals, free healthcare. Subsidized education. Clothing allowance. And so on.

I Am The Scum
May 8, 2007
The devil made me do it
Guys, let's think for ourselves, just like the image macro told us to do!

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Defenestration posted:

Conservatives took your pole and gave all the water rights to a rich white guy. Now you have to pay him for a rental pole and river access if you want to fish. If you pay and don't catch anything, they call you lazy.

Liberals took your pole but they look sad while doing it. (They gave it to a rich white guy who promised he'd open a fishing business and create lots of jobs.)

This actually makes a lot of sense. The subject has a fish in the liberal scenario but doesn't actually know how to fish in the conservative scenario, that is, he doesn't engage in productive labour. Hence the subject (the capitalist) has acquired his fish by exploiting the labour of others. While the "liberal" is willing to redistribute wealth away from exploiters and abolish the system of wage slavery (people unwilling to "fish", ie sell their labour to the owners of fishing rods etc), the conservative prefers to cement the power of the ruling class by legitimising the methods by which it exploits others (charity and entrepreneurialism). A Good Picture.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
On a lighter (or even slightly more disturbing??) note, my girlfriend's nephew, who is 11 and totally swag and trill, shares his favorite photos on facebook. Usually they're typical kid stuff, but I've noticed that this Teens of Swag group photos that he shares have a lot of weird religious overtones, and then last night I saw these

Honestly I can't stop laughing at the dancing third world kid, it's the most absurd meme I've ever seen

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A33607-2000Jan11.html

quote:

Some advocates contend that we need a large boost in military pay because the services are finding it difficult to attract and keep the people they need. But recruiting can be improved much less expensively by pumping up advertising, adding recruiters and better focusing their efforts and expanding enlistment bonuses and college programs. Pay is not necessarily the most important factor in a person's decision to stay in or leave the military. We might get better results by reducing the frequency of deployments, relaxing antiquated rules and improving working conditions.

Proponents of higher pay also note that military people put up with hardships such as long hours and family separations. Yet many civilian occupations make similar demands, and firefighters, police and emergency medical personnel, like many in the military, risk their lives on the job.

The report that CSIS released this week points to problems of morale and dissatisfaction across the military. But those problems are not all about pay. According to CSIS, they reflect concerns about training and leadership, the demands of frequent overseas deployments and unmet expectations for a challenging and satisfying military lifestyle. Higher pay will not fix these problems.

The annoying thing is that Cindy Williams actually had some extremely good ideas about how to improve morale without spending more money.

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe
I got the lovely, 12 years out of date "Look at all these red counties, we're a more republican nation by square mileage than we are democratic" map and sprawling message full of lies, half truths, and outdated information in my facebook feed today. Obviously, a response is in order:

quote:

From the website of the professor who supposedly wrote this:

"DISCLAIMER: There is a series of e-mails floating around the internet dealing with the 2008 Obama/McCain election and the 2000 Bush/Gore election, remarks of a Scottish philosopher named Alexander Tyler, suicide rates, or ANYTHING ELSE. Part of it is attributed to me. It is entirely BOGUS as to my authorship. I've been trying to kill it since December 2000. For details see: http://www.snopes.com/politics/quotes/tyler.asp." http://web.archive.org/web/20090129232444/http://law.hamline.edu/node/784

You'll notice that the link to Snopes is quoted directly from the guy's website, the very person this Fwd: Fwd: Fwd: claims to be from - the exact person who would be the one to know if it is true or false - is the one posting the link to Snopes. And this is the very first response that I get:

quote:

snopes...our new source of TRUTH and FICTION...what is snopes anyways and who controls it??

:eng99:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

VideoTapir posted:

Mitchicon posted:

Makes you miss the Spanish Inquisition.

Gee, I didn't expect this.

Not many people do.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

zeroprime posted:

I got the lovely, 12 years out of date "Look at all these red counties, we're a more republican nation by square mileage than we are democratic" map and sprawling message full of lies, half truths, and outdated information in my facebook feed today. Obviously, a response is in order:

You'll notice that the link to Snopes is quoted directly from the guy's website, the very person this Fwd: Fwd: Fwd: claims to be from - the exact person who would be the one to know if it is true or false - is the one posting the link to Snopes. And this is the very first response that I get:

I got this one yesterday. Posted the Snopes article. Haven't gotten a response.

I did get a "but who's fact checking Snopes?!" response to a different point I refuted. Only thing I can ever respond with is "their cited sources?"

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe

BonoMan posted:

I did get a "but who's fact checking Snopes?!" response to a different point I refuted. Only thing I can ever respond with is "their cited sources?"

I like to mention that they've been doing fact checking on urban legends and e-mail forwards for over a decade and that the political stuff only makes up a small portion of what they cover (with a few mentions of some of the funny stuff they debunk), then point out that they include links and citations on each page so that you can easily check the information for yourself, and finish by saying that I'm really glad people are skeptical about their sources of information and just wish they would be as skeptical about the e-mail forwards they get as they are about snopes.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Dirty Job posted:

quote:

Paper is temporary,bullets are forever! Gun control is hitting what you aim at! I suggest center mass. If faced with armored vest head shot works too! Ahhhhh the Pink Mist.

I feel like it's worth pointing out that this person is openly fantasizing about the spray of gore that results (or that movies have convinced them results, I don't know myself) when someone is shot in the head. They're fondly imagining watching aerosolized blood and brain matter eject from the head of a human being that they just killed. They're doing this in public and no one even realizes that it's bizarre, antisocial behavior anymore.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

zeroprime posted:

I had a guy I only barely know link that on my FB wall. I responded by going "Gosh, isn't it funny how democracy (in theory) cares more about the number of votes than about how much land they take up?" He responds by saying the people in the red counties "have wealth to own land rather than be dependent on government." Internet Libertarians - arguing for a return to only Land-owning(:ssh: Also white :ssh:) voters.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Spiritus Nox posted:

I had a guy I only barely know link that on my FB wall. I responded by going "Gosh, isn't it funny how democracy (in theory) cares more about the number of votes than about how much land they take up?" He responds by saying the people in the red counties "have wealth to own land rather than be dependent on government." Internet Libertarians - arguing for a return to only Land-owning(:ssh: Also white :ssh:) voters.

Who wouldn't be ok with Ted Turner's and John C. Malone's vote having more sway than multiple states? Between the two of them, they own over 4 million acres of land.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

MokBa posted:

It's really easy to ignore all the arguments the opposition has when you think they're taking marching orders from actors. I literally don't know a single liberal that quotes celebrities in their arguments. Why does this myth persist? Last I checked, we had two actors as Republican governors and one actor as a Republican president compared to a single celebrity Democrat senator.

I'm not convinced someone made this image. Crazy forwarded political messages and memes have formed a collective sentience and are hoping to corner the market on how people form political views by supplanting liberal celebrities with lovely memes and FWD: FWD: FWD: YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT HE DID THIS TIME. :tinfoil:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Just saw this posted as a response to the earlier wealth distribution video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KENaWXPmBr0

Original:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPKKQnijnsM

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phone posted:

:allears: This is adorable. First, the author of this video doesn't realize that the reason they pay the largest share of the taxes is because they make the largest share of the income and that, were the incomes more evenly distributed, so too would the amount of tax paid be more evenly distributed. Second, he makes a chart focused on federal individual income taxes and not total federal taxes, so he purposely cuts out payroll and other forms of taxation. I'll take my time going through it in a bit and see what I can come up with for a more detailed response.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 6, 2013

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Phone posted:

Hahaha. This has to be a joke, "The 1% pays 37% of the taxes, more than the bottom 90% combined. Now yes the average CEO makes a lot more than you but so what? He runs a company while you sit around watching youtube videos. Get back to work you dirty communist." :cawg:

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 6, 2013

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Mo_Steel posted:

:allears: This is adorable. First, the author of this video doesn't realize that the reason they pay the largest share of the taxes is because they make the largest share of the income and that, were the incomes more evenly distributed, so too would the amount of tax paid be more evenly distributed. Second, he makes a chart focused on federal individual income taxes and not total federal taxes, so he purposely cuts out payroll and other forms of taxation. I'll take my time going through it in a bit and see what I can come up with for a more detailed response.

Yeah, what a bunch of tripe. The top 25% pays 68% of the federal tax burden? How much of the wealth do they have? Also, what's their share of total tax burden?

Don't have those numbers handy? You don't say.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

This just popped up on my feed.

quote:

FINALLY SOMEONE ASKED HIM THE QUESTION!
ON "ABC-TV" DURING THE "NETWORK SPECIAL ON HEALTH CARE".... OBAMA WAS ASKED:
"MR. PRESIDENT WILL YOU AND YOUR FAMILY GIVE UP YOUR CURRENT HEALTH CARE PROGRAM
AND JOIN THE NEW 'UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE PROGRAM' THAT THE REST OF US WILL BE ON ????"
THERE WAS A STONEY SILENCE AS <>OBAMA IGNORED THE QUESTION AND CHOSE NOT TO ANSWER IT !!!
IN ADDITION, A NUMBER OF SENATORS WERE ASKED THE SAME QUESTION AND THEIR RESPONSE WAS."WE WILL THINK ABOUT IT."
AND THEY DID. IT WAS ANNOUNCED TODAY ON THE NEWS THAT THE "KENNEDY HEALTH CARE BILL" WAS WRITTEN INTO THE NEW HEALTH CARE REFORM INITIATIVE ENSURING THAT THAT CONGRESS WILL BE 100% EXEMPT !
SO, THIS GREAT NEW HEALTH CARE PLAN THAT IS GOOD FOR YOU AND I... IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR OBAMA, HIS FAMILY OR CONGRESS...??
WE (THE AMERICAN PUBLIC) NEED TO STOP THIS PROPOSED DEBACLE ASAP !!!! THIS IS TOTALLY WRONG !!!!!
PERSONALLY, I CAN ONLY ACCEPT A UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE OVERHAUL THAT EXTENDS TO EVERYONE... NOT JUST US LOWLY CITIZENS.... WHILE THE WASHINGTON "ELITE" KEEP RIGHT ON WITH THEIR GOLD-PLATED HEALTH CARE COVERAGES.
If you don't pass this around, may you enjoy his Plan!

WHAT???
The Republic has a CONSTITUTION???

Amendment 28

Congress shall make no law that applies to the citizens of the United States that does not apply equally to the Senators or Representatives, and Congress shall make no law that applies to the Senators or Representatives that does not apply equally to the citizens of the United States .

Imagine what we could do if everybody passed this around.
Congress shall make no law that applies to the citizens of the United States that does not apply equally to the Senators or Representatives, and Congress shall make no law that applies to the Senators or Representatives that does not apply equally to the citizens of the United States .

Obama instituted UHC instead of a lame half-measure of legislation when I wasn't looking? How'd I miss that!?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spiritus Nox posted:

This just popped up on my feed.

Obama instituted UHC instead of a lame half-measure of legislation when I wasn't looking? How'd I miss that!?

An oldie but goodie. Easily rebutted by actually looking at the bill itself:

Section 1312, Subsection (d)(3)(D):
MEMBERS OF CONGRESS IN THE EXCHANGE.—
(i) REQUIREMENT — Notwithstanding any other
provision of law, after the effective date of this subtitle,
the only health plans that the Federal Government
may make available to Members of Congress and
congressional staff with respect to their service as a
Member of Congress or congressional staff shall be
health plans that are—
(I) created under this Act (or an amendment
made by this Act); or
(II) offered through an Exchange established
under this Act (or an amendment made by this
Act).

My other favorite part is that there is no 28th Amendment. :patriot:

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Mo_Steel posted:

My other favorite part is that there is no 28th Amendment. :patriot:

I always took that part as "we need to MAKE this the 28th Amendment", but that's probably giving them too much credit

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

MokBa posted:

I daresay there is a complex psychological machine at work in the minds of folks who are avidly, passionately political and have a decided contempt and/or hatred for people they believe are on the other end of the spectrum...Just debate with them...you'll notice that the things that they often accuse the "other side" of doing are the very things they themselves are doing.

For example, let's take a made-up average Joe republican who watches the Glenn Beck show religiously (just pretend its still on the air) and primarily gets all of his political information from that show. If you get into a political debate with him, or if he decides to express his feelings about 'liberals', he will accuse you/them of being manipulated by the "lies of the media", or blindly following whatever some celebrity says. What's weird here is that average Joe republican doesn't actually know if that's what you/they do...but it is in fact what he does. If you really watch for this phenomenon, it's there. Everywhere. I used to have a sick hobby of debating 9/11 truthers on YouTube...they do the same poo poo...same as Creationists, reptilian-NWO conspiracy believers, Obama birthers, etc etc.

It's like their left brain has been taken over by the misguided passion of the right brain - so all types of logical conclusions, albeit made subconsciously and about their own behavior, takes a sharp turn before reaching the prefrontal cortex and spews out of their mouth at the people who dare contradict or question their beliefs.

"You don't do the research"
"You believe anything that is told to you"
"You are so blind to the truth"
"You just don't think about it"
etc, etc
Things they think they say to their opponent that they are quite possibly, in actuality, saying to themselves - but are consciously unaware of it...their brains are crying out for help, people.

V Hey now we are doing it

Omglosser fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 7, 2013

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

I Am The Scum posted:

Guys, let's think for ourselves, just like the image macro told us to do!

"Those liberals don't think for themselves. They only believe that stupid poo poo they believe because the celebrities say they do. That's what Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity and Bill O'Reilly said."

I honestly don't think I've ever seen more projection among any single group of people as I do with right wing folks. Odds are if some Republican is accusing his opponents of doing something nefarious, he or others in his party are probably actively engaging in those exact things.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

zeroprime posted:

Today I got the version that has Democrats winning 19 states and Republicans winning 29 states. I always wonder who won those last two states.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

edit: deleted. how do i post thred

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire

Pollyanna posted:

Oh hi Facebook love you too.

The thing is, that editorial was written in 2000. Before, you know, we became involved in 3 middle east conflicts and when the economy was still in a boom. Her points sound a hell of a lot less inflammatory if you look at it through that context... which no one will. Because she was totally brought up and appointed by Obama.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Got this in my Facebook feed. How much truth is there to this?

\/ This is from my idiot cousin who thinks she's being persecuted against as a Christian.

Mitchicon fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 7, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Mitchicon posted:

0.0. Didn't you notice how it exclusively shits on secular charities and praises mostly religious and :911: backed ones?

Seriously, the term "march of dimes" means that they donate only dimes? Who on Earth could possibly believe that poo poo? (Don't answer that :smith:)

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Snopes has it marked as "mostly inaccurate and outdated information". Apparently, some of the bottom "good" charities were actually added on relatively recently, but their information is nonetheless total bullshit. Humourously, most of them are substantially less efficient than the "bad" charities on top.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

The Crotch posted:

Snopes has it marked as "mostly inaccurate and outdated information". Apparently, some of the bottom "good" charities were actually added on relatively recently, but their information is nonetheless total bullshit. Humourously, most of them are substantially less efficient than the "bad" charities on top.

*LIBERAL BIAS* Clearly this was written by Obama's Socialist computer hacker division.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Seriously, the term "march of dimes" means that they donate only dimes? Who on Earth could possibly believe that poo poo? (Don't answer that :smith:)

It is total bullshit, but they aren't saying they donate only dimes...just that "of course it's called the March of Dimes because herp derp only about 10 cents of each dollar goes to the charity."

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mitchicon posted:

*LIBERAL BIAS* Clearly this was written by Obama's Socialist computer hacker division.
Well, yeah. Don't actually link it as your source.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Also you can rule out literally any charity that claims 100% of their funding goes to whatever their cause is because every single one has some overhead. The people involved need to eat, sleep, rent office space, buy office supplies, advertise how to get in touch with them, and so on. That claim alone should be enough to set off serious red flags all over the rest of it.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Any real, decent charity will also publish annual reports which spell out exactly how much money they've raised, and what a detailed overview of their expenses (like administrator overhead, money pumping back into fundraising, research, direct aid, etc).

Kat R. Waulin
Jul 30, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Mitchicon posted:

\/ This is from my idiot cousin who thinks she's being persecuted against as a Christian.

I got that one, and commented that, I only give to Native American charities. "That's stupid! They have casinos, and bingo places." I clarified that I only give to funds, that help the Native Americans, that live in poverty. I was told there are no poor "Indians". :bang:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Professor Bling posted:

Not only does it not include BAH, it's also about half what I made as an A1C. Seriously, I was pulling in $22,500 after taxes.

Of course, I had a buddy from my old training post that, when I went off on how inaccurate it was and how self-entitled it sounds, blocked me.

All because I had the gall to remind him that the USAF was paying $180,000 just to train us (specifically, we were linguists), there were no housing charges for us, no bills (i.e. water, electric, gas, internet, etc.), we had free healthcare, free dental, free (government-related) travel, and that was ignoring civilian businesses/agencies offering military discounts (no baggage check fees at airports, free meals on Veteran's day, discounts for AD servicemembers, etc.). We were basically being paid over $20K/year in blow money that we could spend however we see fit.

The fact that he never had any money was his fault for being 18 and ignoring ALL the finance briefings we had and never going to command for financial advice (another free service offered by some of our NCOs).

There are a lot of things enlisted members don't see in their paycheck that adds up to come near if not equal to that civilian salary; most of us just see what we received at the end of the month and bitch. I loved the paycheck but goddamn I don't ever want to re-enlist because that was a giant pile of bullshit. Now I'm just going to enjoy the free college education I "earned" by learning Chinese and then getting out (another unseen benefit).

Korling here. All linguists are goons. gently caress you for getting an actual useful language. If I'd gotten to DLI 2 days later I would have too. gently caress. And no one's gonna trade Chinese with its job prospects and 90 percent pass rate for Korean with its nationalistic insanity and 40 percent pass rate. And that's just what one could figure out going in...it takes time to realize how hosed up USFK is.

Air Force Times has military-civilian pay comparisons on their front page all the drat time. Your buddy was never bored enough to read it?