Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I may be weird, but that High-res digital art ought to be included in the Art book. I'm not sure why they would divide it that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
Well people, it only took 6 hours, and we already have reached the barebone kickstarter goal. That is incredible.

As Brother None said, they already had been working on stretch goals, so hopefully we'll see those very very soon in order to keep this from running dry.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Wildtortilla posted:

Holy hell the rate this is getting funded is unreal. Is this going to set a Kickstarter record?

For games, maybe. That 3D pen and other stuff hold the overall records.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Target met, looks like it's time for the stretch goals.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

And... Funded!

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Fast Kickstarter to one million is Ouya at 8 hours.

This has 2 hours to beat that record

Zaii
Nov 6, 2005

Check it out, I downloaded a little dance!
Ding. Now at $902k. loving get in.

So excited for this, with Wasteland 2 and Project Eternity. We got some good poo poo coming our way!

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

theblackw0lf posted:

Holy poo poo, the extra publicity this is gonna generate is perfect.

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Free 2nd day shipping on all eldritch horrors.

In for $250. Take my money, Brian Fargo, take all of it!

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

theblackw0lf posted:

If we continue with the same steadiness, we can make it to around 1.2M at 8 hours.

edit: 915!

Mex
Nov 23, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Twee as gently caress posted:

Well people, it only took 6 hours, and we already have reached the barebone kickstarter goal. That is incredible.

As Brother None said, they already had been working on stretch goals, so hopefully we'll see those very very soon in order to keep this from running dry.

Yay :)

For those who have funded before, how does your credit card get charged? When the game is released, or when the funding period ends? I ask in case I decide to send more money for stretch goals.

So awesome, I thought I'd never see another one of those games come out. They were special :)

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

First update

quote:

You’ve got to be freaking kidding me!! We just funded in six hours!?!?!

Our heads are still spinning at the incredible response we have had from today's support of our Kickstarter campaign. We had plans to roll out our stretch goals and to write our Kickstarter updates but never in our wildest dreams did we think we would fund this quickly!!! We are joyfully scrambling right now to get a longer update and some stretch goals in front of you as soon as we can. We should have more to say later today.

You are all unbelievably awesome and we could not be happier about receiving your trust in us. For many years we have wanted to get back to making this style of RPG but it appeared that the market was going everywhere but that direction. Almost every article and new game was focused on being an MMO, multi-player or micro-transition based. This wasn’t our style and we couldn’t generate interest in the classical narrative type of RPG that we all grew up making and playing. Thank you for backing our vision once again and we will not let you down. We will continue to communicate and and make sure we solicit input such that the game is hitting all the right notes.

Our goal is to make great RPGs for you all for the rest of our careers.

Thank you,

Brian Fargo and the team at inXile

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Mex posted:

Yay :)

For those who have funded before, how does your credit card get charged? When the game is released, or when the funding period ends? I ask in case I decide to send more money for stretch goals.

So awesome, I thought I'd never see another one of those games come out. They were special :)

When funding ends.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?
I loved planescape torment and I love the old style RPGs but I can't support giving money to this. I want to see the studio produce something first that I can evaluate. What made PS:T so great was the writing but as it stands now I want to see if the company doing can produce a game of decent quality. Will Wasteland 2 run well on different systems and be relatively bug free or will it be like the average obsidian project where the concept is great but the game is buggy as hell for the first year+.

raingwc
Feb 28, 2008

Project Update #1: Updated our Journal...
Posted by inXile entertainment Like

You’ve got to be freaking kidding me!! We just funded in six hours!?!?!

Our heads are still spinning at the incredible response we have had from today's support of our Kickstarter campaign. We had plans to roll out our stretch goals and to write our Kickstarter updates but never in our wildest dreams did we think we would fund this quickly!!! We are joyfully scrambling right now to get a longer update and some stretch goals in front of you as soon as we can. We should have more to say later today.

You are all unbelievably awesome and we could not be happier about receiving your trust in us. For many years we have wanted to get back to making this style of RPG but it appeared that the market was going everywhere but that direction. Almost every article and new game was focused on being an MMO, multi-player or micro-transition based. This wasn’t our style and we couldn’t generate interest in the classical narrative type of RPG that we all grew up making and playing. Thank you for backing our vision once again and we will not let you down. We will continue to communicate and and make sure we solicit input such that the game is hitting all the right notes.

Our goal is to make great RPGs for you all for the rest of our careers.

Thank you,

Brian Fargo and the team at inXile

Im loving this!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

TheGreySpectre posted:

I loved planescape torment and I love the old style RPGs but I can't support giving money to this. I want to see the studio produce something first that I can evaluate. What made PS:T so great was the writing but as it stands now I want to see if the company doing can produce a game of decent quality. Will Wasteland 2 run well on different systems and be relatively bug free or will it be like the average obsidian project where the concept is great but the game is buggy as hell for the first year+.

Yeah I think I'll probably wait for Wasteland 2 to finish and be released before I start looking about Torment. From what I understant Chris Avellone did the majority of the writing on the original Torment, and I don't think he's involved in this.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I'm shocked this got funded so fast without showing any gameplay and being the second kickstarter game from ineXile. Hope they can do it, but I can't help but feel cynical about this whole thing.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

You guys should click this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq4X0AdTiSw

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
We have reached the original goal in a record beginning for a kickstarter, of course it's time for negative comments about not trusting inXile to come back :rolleyes:

Look, these views have been explored quite a few time in the thread, they have been addressed time and time again by others, by the inXile team, in the OP, in interviews and so on. I don't think we need a cycle where those always come up immediately once we have a piece of good news.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

PonchAxis posted:

I'm shocked this got funded so fast without showing any gameplay and being the second kickstarter game from ineXile. Hope they can do it, but I can't help but feel cynical about this whole thing.

Yeah, i'm going to wait to see how Wasteland turns out before I put money into this. Did this get funded faster than Project Eternity?

So I'm thinking of buying Planescape for when I don't have anything to do at work. Are there any recommended mods I should install prior to?

e:
Oh wow, thats insane. Grats to y'all :)

bef fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 6, 2013

ZarquonHigardi
Mar 27, 2010

bef posted:

So I'm thinking of buying Planescape for when I don't have anything to do at work. Are there any recommended mods I should install prior to?

This is a pretty good list.
http://www.gog.com/news/mod_spotlight_planescape_torment_mods_guide

Also, wish I could spend more, but I'm totally down for $20. The concept totally sold me. Should be interesting to see how much this gets in funding by the end of the day...

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Maybe I'm naive, but I loved the hell out of the old Fallout games and Baldur's Gate so I don't understand why people are apprehensive. inXile doesn't come across as a company that's going to take advantage of backers and produce piles of poo poo. They come across as a group passionate about what they do, that they want to keep making these games, so it's in their best interest to not gently caress up and disappoint their core market.

I don't see any reason to be anything but pumped to play these games. This afternoon I added WASTELAND 2 and TORMENT to my Google Calendar on their estimated completion dates. gently caress the skeptics, I want to play some modern old school RPGs.

raingwc
Feb 28, 2008

ZarquonHigardi posted:

This is a pretty good list.
http://www.gog.com/news/mod_spotlight_planescape_torment_mods_guide

Also, wish I could spend more, but I'm totally down for $20. The concept totally sold me. Should be interesting to see how much this gets in funding by the end of the day...

Think the record was for the Ouya, 1mill in 8h.

So far it has been just over 6h aaand its at about 950k, looking good :)

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Wildtortilla posted:

Maybe I'm naive, but I loved the hell out of the old Fallout games and Baldur's Gate so I don't understand why people are apprehensive. inXile doesn't come across as a company that's going to take advantage of backers and produce piles of poo poo. They come across as a group passionate about what they do, that they want to keep making these games, so it's in their best interest to not gently caress up and disappoint their core market.

I don't see any reason to be anything but pumped to play these games. This afternoon I added WASTELAND 2 and TORMENT to my Google Calendar on their estimated completion dates. gently caress the skeptics, I want to play some modern old school RPGs.

It's not so much that I'm skeptical, but I feel like I should be playing one of these games before I spend any more money on them. I might have gone a little bit over budget on Project Eternity.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm as excited as you, but I fully expect Torment to be pushed back into 2015. With the amount of money over their goal that they're going to make, it'd be drat impressive if they got it out by the predicted date.

Mex
Nov 23, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I'm with Mr. Wildtortilla on the Internet. So glad they decided to work on these projects again, and glad there's people who are optimistic enough to trust that these games can still happen.

I honestly have zero doubts that these guys will deliver, maybe not on time or even bug free at release, but we'll have a new Planescape game eventually. Brian Fargo is a legend to me, even if he's sort of been away for years.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

For anyone still skeptical about them doing the kickstarter so early and during WL2, here's some words to make you click that pledge button:

On Monday we released the news that we would be launching another Kickstarter campaign for Torment: Tides of Numenera today. If your reaction to the news was, “Hell yes, that is awesome news!” you can stop reading this update and head right to the Torment Kickstarter page to check out a lot more detail on the product. There is a ton of information about the team and the project, so please give it a read. We are crazy excited about the opportunity to work on Torment, and the Torment Kickstarter page should be enough to get all of you excited too.

If your reaction to the news about Torment was more like, “inXile, you greedy bastards, why would you launch a Kickstarter before Wasteland 2 is even done!”, then keep reading; we are addressing that point in this update…

To those outside the industry, it might seem odd to launch another Kickstarter before Wasteland 2 is done. We understand that it raises some questions, and we want our Wasteland 2 backers to understand the decision and to have access to all the information that has led us down this path. The goal of this update is not to convince you to back Torment; the goal of this update is to answer one simple question. Why now?

One of the keys to success for a small game company is being able to create continuity within the development team. It takes a long time to get a team put together, and it takes an even longer time for a team to settle in to new working relationships, a new engine, new systems, and a new asset creation pipeline. A team’s knowledge and experience grows a lot during a development cycle, and all of that knowledge gained is lost if we let the team break up when a project ships. To address that issue we have developed a very simple strategy that has already worked for us on dozens of titles in the last 25 years. Here is a quick explanation of our development team-structure philosophy:

inXile, with all of our internal employees and outside contractors, consists of enough people to be considered about the size of a team and a half. This is by design. We always want a small and efficient team (the “half team”) to design both our product and our product development plan. This is called pre-production. It is the most important time in a project’s life cycle. This is the time when we want to make sure we slow down and get it right. During this phase we don’t need all the engineers and 3D Artists on the project, it is mostly concept art, design and dialog writing. When this process is completed and we are ready to roll into full production we want to have a large team of people ready to make the game. If the planning was done well during the pre-production phase we can be very efficient during production and leave ourselves with plenty of time to iterate and make amazing games. If there is no pre-production done, and the full team is trying to create the design and development plan as they go, months, if not years, are wasted. Having a full team try to start a project when the pre-production has not been completed is like stacking up a giant pile of money and lighting it on fire. This same philosophy served us quite well at Interplay in creating some of the best RPGs of all time.

The “half team” in our team and a half model consists of writers and artists as well as designers and a producer. They are the ones that define the game design, write the dialog, define the combat, the UI, the missions, and even parts of the level design. We spent about 6 months working on this pre-production for Wasteland 2 and we would like to spend even longer doing it on Torment. For inXile, this “half team” that did the pre-production for Wasteland is done, their work on Wasteland 2 is completely finished. We want to get this group into pre-production on Torment to keep them working together on a project we are all passionate about.

Currently, Wasteland 2 is in full production with a team of 15+ people cranking away on it. This is the full team that consists of engineers, scripters, character modelers, environment artists, and animators. This team is implementing the plan created during the Wasteland 2 pre-production cycle. When this full team rolls off of Wasteland 2 at the end of the year, they will need something else to do. Having a complete pre-production plan at that time allows us to roll the entire team onto a finely honed game design. Team continuity is maintained, and efficient production can begin. In a traditional publisher model, now is the time in the project life cycle where we would start to try and sign the next big contract. The best tool we have to get that done is to go back to our new publisher, you, and explain that now is the best time to start the next project.

Our “half team” is ready to start the pre-production for Torment now. They need about 8 months to get this pre-production work done. In an amazing coincidence, in about 8 months I will have a full team that is ready to take that pre-production plan and create a game. The alternative, starting pre-production on Torment after Wasteland 2 is done, increases the cost of Torment production greatly and requires us to reduce our headcount during the process.

Staggering projects like we are doing with Wasteland 2 and Torment is the best tool a single-team company like inXile has to be successful. It has the triple value of making us more efficient, giving us a better game design and making sure we keep our design and art talent working with us.

To make everything as clear as we can regarding the Torment Kickstarter and what it means for Wasteland 2, I will attempt to answer some other questions you might have:

• We do want to be abundantly clear that no Wasteland money is to be spent developing Torment. No Torment money is being spent on Wasteland 2. That said, lots of tools, plug-ins and pipeline processes that have taken man months to create will be shared between the projects if we can keep team continuity.

• The pre-production of Torment is not going to hinder the development of Wasteland in any way. As explained above, they are different teams during the pre-production.

We hope this update helps to explain the logic of why we are launching this Kickstarter now. Based on our experience we know that now is the time to get Torment rolling. We also hope that we can count on your support for Torment, and if not your support, at least your understanding. This system has always served us well so we think it makes sense to try and re-create it with you.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Wildtortilla posted:

inXile doesn't come across as a company that's going to take advantage of backers and produce piles of poo poo.

It's not about them having bad intentions or being deceptive, it's about the fact that "big" games are far, far harder to manage than "small" games, and that there's a much higher probability of things going wrong. Experienced studios gently caress up all the time, never mind ones new to the big leagues.

It's also not encouraging that the big games inXile have done before (Bard's Tale, Hunted) have been somewhere between mediocre and bad, and that there's only been two of them in the ~ten years of the studio's existence. Now, there may be very good reasons as to why this is, but unless what went wrong then and why it won't go wrong now is laid out, people are perfectly entitled to feel uneasy about the odds of success.

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 6, 2013

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Didn't suddenly turn into a Harlem Shake video. I am disappointed.

Mex
Nov 23, 2004

by Fistgrrl

coffeetable posted:

It's not about them having bad intentions or being deceptive, it's about the fact that "big" games are far, far harder to manage than "small" games, and that there's a much higher probability of things going wrong. Experienced studios gently caress up all the time, never mind new ones.

It's also not encouraging that the big games inXile have done before (Bard's Tale, Hunted) have been somewhere between mediocre and bad, and that there's only been two of them in the ~ten years of the studio's existence.

If you don't feel comfortable backing this project, I totally understand you, inXile doesn't have the track record of, say, Blizzard or Bioware. While I trust Brian Fargo can deliver this, because its the kind of project he loves, it always makes sense to look at his company's track record.

So I'd recommend you don't back them until you feel like they deserve it, it's a totally rational decision.

On the other hand... For guys like me who have waited a decade for more Planescape (even if we didn't know it was coming, like Wasteland2) this is AMAZING news, so don't bring our buzz down ! THROW MONEY AT THIS! ;)

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Mex posted:

If you don't feel comfortable backing this project, I totally understand you, inXile doesn't have the track record of, say, Blizzard or Bioware. While I trust Brian Fargo can deliver this, because its the kind of project he loves, it always makes sense to look at his company's track record.

So I'd recommend you don't back them until you feel like they deserve it, it's a totally rational decision.

On the other hand... For guys like me who have waited a decade for more Planescape (even if we didn't know it was coming, like Wasteland2) this is AMAZING news, so don't bring our buzz down ! THROW MONEY AT THIS! ;)

I have backed it, because I'll inevitably play the game and £13 is already a bargain-bin price. I also want to see more projects like this put together. What I'm not expecting though is for it to be "more Planescape" or even a great game, because a) there's little evidence yet that either of these things will be the case and b) like with W2 or P:E, that's a recipe for disappointment.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

coffeetable posted:

I have backed it, because I'll inevitably play the game and £13 is already a bargain-bin price. I also want to see more projects like this put together. What I'm not expecting though is for it to be "more Planescape" or even a great game, because a) there's little evidence yet that either of these things will be the case and b) like with W2 or P:E, that's a recipe for disappointment.

In other words:

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
This will give me time to actually complete Planescape. :woop:

Phil Niekro
Jun 4, 2005

I like the concept/art direction. It's like some Thundarr the Barbarian type poo poo.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Literally just woke up in Australia to see if it had launched yet.
Well, guess it's doing ok! Threw my Ausbux in for $75 of goodness. Going to be a fun campaign!

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

coffeetable posted:

It's also not encouraging that the big games inXile have done before (Bard's Tale, Hunted) have been somewhere between mediocre and bad, and that there's only been two of them in the ~ten years of the studio's existence. Now, there may be very good reasons as to why this is, but unless what went wrong then and why it won't go wrong now is laid out, people are perfectly entitled to feel uneasy about the odds of success.

I like Bard's Tale and Hunted, even though I may be in the minority there, but those two games were made by teams with a completely different makeup. Both Wasteland 2 and Torment are [at least at the higher levels] made up of people who were specifically brought on because of their experience with previous games in their respective series.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
998K! Holy moly, I hope this doesn't plateau too severely!

edit: :woop: and now 1mil! :woop:

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I must say that I absolutely love the artwork I've seen for this game so far. If the final version is anything like the concept art I will be immensely pleased.

Maybe that's wishful thinking as I realise that the transition from art to a gaming engine can result in massive differences in how it looks, but I'm ever hopeful.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Aaaand the game just shattered the all-time Kickstarter record to one million.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Torment just broke the record for most video game ks money in under 8 hours :toot:

• Locked thread