Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

WMain00 posted:

I must say that I absolutely love the artwork I've seen for this game so far. If the final version is anything like the concept art I will be immensely pleased.

Maybe that's wishful thinking as I realise that the transition from art to a gaming engine can result in massive differences in how it looks, but I'm ever hopeful.

I believe it's been said that a 2D presentation is the current consideration so it might not be too far off.

And yeah I'm in on this. Now, to actually get back to Planescape at some point..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

TG-Chrono posted:

998K! Holy moly, I hope this doesn't plateau too severely!

As usual, that will largely depend on the stretch goals.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I wonder if George Ziets would have time to work on Torment after his stint on Project Eternity.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

theblackw0lf posted:

I wonder if George Ziets would have time to work on Torment after his stint on Project Eternity.

Is he a freelancer or is he employed full time at Obsidian?

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Wildtortilla posted:

Maybe I'm naive, but I loved the hell out of the old Fallout games and Baldur's Gate so I don't understand why people are apprehensive. inXile doesn't come across as a company that's going to take advantage of backers and produce piles of poo poo. They come across as a group passionate about what they do, that they want to keep making these games, so it's in their best interest to not gently caress up and disappoint their core market.

I don't see any reason to be anything but pumped to play these games. This afternoon I added WASTELAND 2 and TORMENT to my Google Calendar on their estimated completion dates. gently caress the skeptics, I want to play some modern old school RPGs.

Same here. I loved those games and want to give people who are saying that they will more of those games a chance, even if they all fail I've wasted about 150 euros which is hardly the end of the world. If they succeed it will revitalize a genre I most enjoy and I get to feel good for being a really small part in making that happen.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

theblackw0lf posted:

He's been Tweeting about Torment even before the kickstarter, whether or not it means anything I guess we will see.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee

Rinkles posted:

Is he a freelancer or is he employed full time at Obsidian?

Freelancer, as far as I know. He also tweeted that "It *would* be pretty cool to work with Kevin [Saunders] again! But will the gods of Kickstarter permit me to be a stretch goal again? Dunno."

I really hope he's a stretch goal. That would make me up my pledge considerably for sure and not care anymore about Chris Avellone not being involved.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

This might hit two million in under 24 hours :psyduck:

edit: By the time they list their stretch goals they might have already have hit half of them :D

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 6, 2013

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

theblackw0lf posted:

This might hit two million in under 24 hours :psyduck:

No it's slowing down. It'll probably hit 1.2 - 1.4 and my prediction is 3.6 overall.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
Pretty big mistake not to already have a list of the first, say, 5 stretch goals in hand when they started the kickstarter. They'll probably end up losing thousands (if not tens of thousands) worth of pledges.

Plenty of people who are willing to give right now might not come back tomorrow or the day after if it takes too long for the stretch goals to be announced. They might not remember to check back later.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

^^^I don't know, you don't want to look too desperate, greedy or presumptuous. I think a breather's fine.

CrookedB posted:

Freelancer, as far as I know. He also tweeted that "It *would* be pretty cool to work with Kevin [Saunders] again! But will the gods of Kickstarter permit me to be a stretch goal again? Dunno."

I really hope he's a stretch goal. That would make me up my pledge considerably for sure and not care anymore about Chris Avellone not being involved.

Thanks. It would be great if he could finally settle in a studio then, unless it's by his own preference of course that he's freelancing but that's not what it sounds like.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Alkanos posted:

I feel like a complete retard. Here I am, going around in this thread and the kickstarter thread being all doom and gloom. I was sure that people would be stingy with their wallets towards a second campaign when inXile hadn't finished the first. I was afraid that they wouldn't end up with enough cash to make a good successor, and I wasn't about to donate to that.

Considering that in the two hours since I last checked they've made $200k, I was way off. So I'm putting my money where my mouth is and throwing in. It's nice to be proven wrong every once and a while!

Fake Edit: In the time it took me to write this post, they made $20k. :stare:

As somebody who lurks in Games sometimes but doesn't really care about gaming as much as I did ten years ago, these two Kickstarters are #1 and #2 on my all-time KS list and this one is more interesting than Wasteland by a mile.

Most games just don't excite me much anymore now that I'm in my 30's and don't play 24/7, but I'll always have time for a Fallout type game with a good storyline. Then there's PS:T, which had the best plot of a videogame of all time even if you only took the good options and never did an evil playthrough; despite its combat frankly being poo poo it's still a top 10 title. I basically already know I'm going to beat the single player more than once even if the game is half as good as the original, and I'm paying $20 for it instead of retail price.

The fact that both properties are being done by the same people is actually a bonus for me because I already know the plot will be good to stellar for both of them. As long as they release both titles in a playable form, the worst that happens is they will both be buggy graphic novels that I can buy for 1/3 of the regular cost of two games, which means I'm not even tempted to pirate them. (It goes without saying they picked the right price points both times.)

I don't think this is any kind of a trend, though - if this wasn't Fallout and Torment and didn't involve most of the same people I wouldn't have funded either of them, and there are only so many AAA nostalgia titles that are plot and atmosphere-heavy and gameplay-light to go around.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Rinkles posted:

^^^I don't know, you don't want to look too desperate, greedy or presumptuous. I think a breather's fine.

I disagree, I think it shows a bit of lack of forethought. Again, preparation is key when it comes to kickstarters, and so does looking professional.
with

I think the bad skit about producers, as well as the fact that they already hit their kickstarter goal and went 'uh wow give us a couple of hours and we'll come back to tell you what will happen with the extra cash' rather than having already a general idea of what they could accomplish with, say, another $200,000 does not inspire confidence to continue this kind of momentum.

Look, I've already pledged a lot of money myself, and these two things matter little to me. I am extremely excited both for this and Wasteland, I am really confident that they will deliver. However, not everyone feels that way, and those two things will matter a lot more to those people.

tl;dr = if you launch a kickstarter, you should have already thought of all the aspects involved.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

First kickstarter I've decided to back and went ahead and got the collectors edition, which totally works out for me because I get Wasteland 2 with it, something I wanted to back but never got around to doing so. Im being cautiously optimistic in terms of how hyped up I am for this, but I know it's just going to get worse anytime something new is released.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Adar posted:

I don't think this is any kind of a trend, though - if this wasn't Fallout and Torment and didn't involve most of the same people I wouldn't have funded either of them, and there are only so many AAA nostalgia titles that are plot and atmosphere-heavy and gameplay-light to go around.

But if you end up thoroughly enjoying them, wouldn't you consider their next endeavor even if it's a new property?

Even during the golden age of western RPGs there weren't that many noteworthy games in the genre in any given year. If both inXile and Obsidian can sustain this level of output, and end up delivering, this could be a real renaissance.

Twee as gently caress posted:

tl;dr = if you launch a kickstarter, you should have already thought of all the aspects involved.

They did, BN said as much. The stretch goals will be up soon enough.

lethial
Apr 29, 2009
I dunno, if they have they have some pre-KS stretch goals, that would mean that they are planning more for a game that is over the budget of the kickstarted amount. Which as we have observed by now, isn't a smart thing to do.

The impression that I have is that they genuinely planned for a Torment game with 900k budget, esp. with all the negativity that was floating around prior to the kickstarter campaign. This hopefully means that they would have more realistic stretch goals, since the base of the game is already budgeted for the 900k mark, not some ideal amount that they set internally.

Oh and to Brother None and inXile, congratz!

Just to be sure, KS charges you after the campaign is over right? I actually ended up upping my pledge to 250 level shortly after my previous post since I figure I won't get charged until April, by that time I should have another paycheck in the bank.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

MrFlibble posted:

No it's slowing down. It'll probably hit 1.2 - 1.4 and my prediction is 3.6 overall.

It's still pulling almost $20,000 every 10 minutes and should hit 1.1 before the end of the hour.

mrs. nicholas sarkozy
Jan 1, 2006

~let me see ya bounce that bounce that~

lethial posted:

I dunno, if they have they have some pre-KS stretch goals, that would mean that they are planning more for a game that is over the budget of the kickstarted amount. Which as we have observed by now, isn't a smart thing to do.

The impression that I have is that they genuinely planned for a Torment game with 900k budget, esp. with all the negativity that was floating around prior to the kickstarter campaign. This hopefully means that they would have more realistic stretch goals, since the base of the game is already budgeted for the 900k mark, not some ideal amount that they set internally.

Oh and to Brother None and inXile, congratz!

Just to be sure, KS charges you after the campaign is over right? I actually ended up upping my pledge to 250 level shortly after my previous post since I figure I won't get charged until April, by that time I should have another paycheck in the bank.

Reading the kickstarter, it sounds like they made the story pretty adjustable (I think the word they used was "modular") based on what amount of funding they get. So they can do the base game easily with the minimum goal, and additional money can be put into fleshing out the base storyline.

e: With the stretch goals, I feel like nobody expected this to be the quickest kickstarter ever, so they were probably not expecting to have to throw up stretch goals so soon.

mrs. nicholas sarkozy fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 6, 2013

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Adar posted:

Most games just don't excite me much anymore now that I'm in my 30's and don't play 24/7, but I'll always have time for a Fallout type game with a good storyline. Then there's PS:T, which had the best plot of a videogame of all time even if you only took the good options and never did an evil playthrough; despite its combat frankly being poo poo it's still a top 10 title.

This might not be a popular opinion, but I think I would prefer if they made the new Torment an all-out visual novel\adventure game without combat. This "oh and this time there will be great combat" business isn't something I am happy about. The poo poo I loved about Torment was running around an awesome city and talking to weird people and doing quests. I'd be perfectly fine with the Walking Dead in the Infinity engine, y'know?

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

CottonWolf posted:

I'm as excited as you, but I fully expect Torment to be pushed back into 2015. With the amount of money over their goal that they're going to make, it'd be drat impressive if they got it out by the predicted date.

They got that Wasteland 2 video out in record time and are on track for October of this year. That's insanely fast, I think they could easily finish by 2014.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

theblackw0lf posted:

It's still pulling almost $20,000 every 10 minutes and should hit 1.1 before the end of the hour.

I think it could actually pick up a little bit in the next few hours as people get off from work and have a chance to check the Kickstarter out in detail.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

I went in for the $110 tier plus a few addons. I wanted a signed box but really can't bring myself to throw $500 plus shipping and addons.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Aaand there's 1.1 million, which might have been a stretch goal :)

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Rinkles posted:

But if you end up thoroughly enjoying them, wouldn't you consider their next endeavor even if it's a new property?

Even during the golden age of western RPGs there weren't that many noteworthy games in the genre in any given year. If both inXile and Obsidian can sustain this level of output, and end up delivering, this could be a real renaissance.

I didn't actually fund Eternity for the same reason I did fund both Wasteland and Torment; the BG series was heavy on the mechanics and not as big on plot. You couldn't do BG as a novel (well, you could and people did, but I grew out of Forgotten Realms ages ago.) D&D also has the bonus of being familiar to my generation so the mechanics intuitively made sense. That adds up to Eternity having a much higher bar to clear than these games do. All Torment has to do is have good writers, while rope kid really has to shine on a B-level budget to make Eternity good. I could be wrong and hope I am, but Torment seems like it's got a much higher chance to succeed in this format.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Adar posted:

I didn't actually fund Eternity for the same reason I did fund both Wasteland and Torment; the BG series was heavy on the mechanics and not as big on plot. You couldn't do BG as a novel (well, you could and people did, but I grew out of Forgotten Realms ages ago.) D&D also has the bonus of being familiar to my generation so the mechanics intuitively made sense. That adds up to Eternity having a much higher bar to clear than these games do. All Torment has to do is have good writers, while rope kid really has to shine on a B-level budget to make Eternity good. I could be wrong and hope I am, but Torment seems like it's got a much higher chance to succeed in this format.

Well, certainly for me inxile's proposals have been much more appealing than Project Eternity, but that's a personal thing. But I'm not certain, if I'm understanding you right, why you think P:E will be any more a challenge for Obisdian than Wasteland 2 will be for inxile. I get what you mean with Torment.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I'm thinking that one of the best things inXile could do for this Kickstarter would be to release another Wasteland 2 preview just before the final rush.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I pretty much had no interest in Wasteland 2. But, I backed this. PS:T was a great game and experience.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

That's exactly my position. Post-apocalyptic wasteland is pretty generic as settings go. Whereas Planescape, and by the look of the concept art, Numenera too, are both to some degree carried by their setting and atmosphere.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Rinkles posted:

Well, certainly for me inxile's proposals have been much more appealing than Project Eternity, but that's a personal thing. But I'm not certain, if I'm understanding you right, why you think P:E will be any more a challenge for Obisdian than Wasteland 2 will be for inxile. I get what you mean with Torment.

All Torment has to do is get the story and background art right and they're done. The property isn't combat heavy and nobody who's funding this gives a drat about that, so anything they do with the game mechanics themselves is a bonus. Eternity has to copy BG's combat and make it fun without D&D to fall back on. If you think about it, BG's combat was also terrible, especially BG1 (in which every single encounter one hits you for the first third of the game and all mages did was cast Magic Missile as many times as possible). But since it was based on D&D and the setting was familiar, players overlooked it. Eternity's not going to have that fallback, so the plot must be good, the setting has to be entertaining *and* the classes have to be balanced/combat has to be interesting, all on a shoestring budget for that kind of title. It's a whole extra very intrinsically complicated level for them to fail on.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I didn't even consider stretch goals because I thought everything they had posted from the start was way more than I expected out of the game when I started reading their Kickstarter page.

I'm still loving pumped!

Grandpa Goodtimes
Oct 10, 2012

I know one bone in my body that works.
I dunno how keen I am on the prices offered here. I was hoping I would be able to get another cloth map like Wasteland, but it seems like to do that I'd need to pay up 110 dollars at least now. This game will probably get my support, I just wonder at what price. I wonder why its more expensive here vs the 75 dollars buy in that Wasteland had.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Adar posted:

All Torment has to do is get the story and background art right and they're done. The property isn't combat heavy and nobody who's funding this gives a drat about that, so anything they do with the game mechanics themselves is a bonus. Eternity has to copy BG's combat and make it fun without D&D to fall back on. If you think about it, BG's combat was also terrible, especially BG1 (in which every single encounter one hits you for the first third of the game and all mages did was cast Magic Missile as many times as possible). But since it was based on D&D and the setting was familiar, players overlooked it. Eternity's not going to have that fallback, so the plot must be good, the setting has to be entertaining *and* the classes have to be balanced/combat has to be interesting, all on a shoestring budget for that kind of title. It's a whole extra very intrinsically complicated level for them to fail on.

I was asking about Wasteland 2, rather than Torment, since you also seemed more optimistic about that than about Eternity. The combat system of P:E will most probably make or break that game, whilst that was never the crux of the Fallout games (who's footsteps' W2 is is following), but there's still a lot that they could screw up and Obsidian certainly has more of a pedigree even if you consider the talent Fargo signed on. I'm just more excited about Wasteland because it's the type of game I want to play more.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.
Would someone be willing to summarize why so many people feel Planescape: Torment was the best RPG of all time? Because I couldn't be bothered to even get out of the starting village as it bored me to tears. This coming from someone that loves old school RPGs like Exile (Spiderweb software); I guess I just don't get what others see in it, so hopefully someone can enlighten me.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

The King of Swag posted:

Would someone be willing to summarize why so many people feel Planescape: Torment was the best RPG of all time? Because I couldn't be bothered to even get out of the starting village as it bored me to tears. This coming from someone that loves old school RPGs like Exile (Spiderweb software); I guess I just don't get what others see in it, so hopefully someone can enlighten me.
It's got really good writing, and that's about it really.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

The King of Swag posted:

Starting village?

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

It's got a great setting and uses it well. It's got REALLY good writing. Like, god tier writing. It has a unique and interesting premise. It subverts almost every cliche in RPGs there is, making it a novel experience.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Grandpa Goodtimes posted:

I wonder why its more expensive here vs the 75 dollars buy in that Wasteland had.

Feedback said that people didn't care about physical stuff that much and wanted more of their money to go straight to making the game. I'm sure their prices are in reaction to that.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Grandpa Goodtimes posted:

I dunno how keen I am on the prices offered here. I was hoping I would be able to get another cloth map like Wasteland, but it seems like to do that I'd need to pay up 110 dollars at least now. This game will probably get my support, I just wonder at what price. I wonder why its more expensive here vs the 75 dollars buy in that Wasteland had.

I suspect it's because they're more confident now. At the time Fargo wanted to deviate as little as possible from Double Fine's model because of how unprecedented the whole thing was. Anecdotally, I know a lot of people suggested the lowest tier start at $20, because of the larger scope of the game they were proposing compared to the DFA, but Fargo insisted on following DF's example.

The success of both the Wasteland 2 and Project Eternity (which had identical low tier pricing to Torment's )kickstarters proved the platform's viability. You have to remember a lot of people were apprehensive at the time. It was big experiment and Fargo wanted to succeed no matter what. They don't have to be quite as cautious anymore because they have that higher degree of certainty.

It's also possible their earlier pricing estimates on some of the physical rewards were off.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.

Megazver posted:

Starting village?

It was quite a few years ago now, so installation, building, underground complex, call it whatever you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

The King of Swag posted:

It was quite a few years ago now, so installation, building, underground complex, call it whatever you want.

It's a mortuary :)

• Locked thread