Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

How far over the hood can you see? Is that where the curb disappeared from sight as you pulled up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

Trans Ferdinand posted:

6-speed manual. It's a stripper GTI; only options are the Hufeisens and the armrest IPOD hookup.

The DSG is a pretty nice transmission, and I test-drove a DSG, but I've only ever owned manual cars. The Mechatronics failures make me think that I made the right choice.

Those wheels are awesome. :colbert: Try focusing on the Cuisenart-slicer aspect rather than the horseshoe aspect.
I have the exact same car, down to the color. One thing to consider about the APR tune with the manual transmission is that it may cause the clutch to slip, depending on a couple factors. I got mine used with 60k miles and the clutch started to slip in the high gears under WOT a couple weeks after going stage 1. I went back to stock as a result. You might not have any problems, but it's just something to consider. The stock clutches aren't designed for the extra torque.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Any reason why you didn't just upgrade your clutch? Slipping in 6th gear sounds like it had some decent wear already. That and I'd hate to back to stock from the tune after knowing the potential.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Carteret posted:

Any reason why you didn't just upgrade your clutch? Slipping in 6th gear sounds like it had some decent wear already. That and I'd hate to back to stock from the tune after knowing the potential.

That's what I'm thinking. 3 of my 5 APR-chipped cars were manual and I never experienced this.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Because it turned a $500 upgrade into a $1500-2000 one? The clutch holds fine under stock power, but yes, the previously owner probably beat the snot out of it. One day I will upgrade or replace the clutch and go back to stage 1, possibly k04.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

willroc7 posted:

Because it turned a $500 upgrade into a $1500-2000 one?

Are clutches for the car really loving expensive or is that including labor?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Including labor.

Dizman
Jun 10, 2004
I'm very dizzy.

kimbo305 posted:

How far over the hood can you see? Is that where the curb disappeared from sight as you pulled up?

I have that problem in my C5 Z06. I pull in and I think I'm 6 inches away from the curb but I'm really a few feet away. I try to park next to cars and look at the reflection to see where I am in relation to the curb.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...
Here's a thing that makes me smile every day.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

I will never, ever stop loving the looks of that car. Coupe, Sedan, or Wagon? Also, how does she ride?

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

This Cold Ass Honkey Ain't No Jive Turkey, Ya Dig?

MrSaturn posted:

It's not boxy enough. It can't be a real cadillac if it isn't boxy and flat. :colbert:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

11BulletCatcher posted:

It's not boxy enough. It can't be a real cadillac if it isn't boxy and flat. :colbert:

If you meant to say "huge fins" then you are correct.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

Billy Tully posted:

If you meant to say "huge fins" then you are correct.

You are more man than I.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

T1g4h posted:

I will never, ever stop loving the looks of that car. Coupe, Sedan, or Wagon? Also, how does she ride?

Sedan, unfortunately (my first ever 4 door car!). It's an absolute BEAST. I've never driven anything like it before in my life. Amazing how easy it is to drive.

I seem to have lots of shots of the car's gaping maw, but not so many from the side or rear. I'll have to get some.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

The sedan version is still incredibly good looking, especially in that shade of black. Seriously, I'm jealous, that thing looks like pure menace on wheels.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Thanks!

...and for the record, my first cadillac was perhaps a bit boxier. Not as much go-fast, though.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

All kidding aside Mr Saturn though, thats a wicked awesome car.

e: the old one too

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

MrSaturn posted:

Sedan, unfortunately (my first ever 4 door car!). It's an absolute BEAST. I've never driven anything like it before in my life. Amazing how easy it is to drive.

I seem to have lots of shots of the car's gaping maw, but not so many from the side or rear. I'll have to get some.

I really like your hood buldge. Its real purdy.

What I'm saying is that I'm gay for bulges.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

MrSaturn posted:

Thanks!

...and for the record, my first cadillac was perhaps a bit boxier. Not as much go-fast, though.

The GM cargods accept this tribute. You may drive your unbelievably smooth but entirely too aerodynamic caddy, Futureman.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MrSaturn posted:

I'm jealous. This is one of my favorite cars.

tbb9
Sep 6, 2011
Other than the wagon the sedan is the best looking of the cts-v lineup. The coupe has a strange rear.

Fake edit:
Doesn't the wagon loose the magnetic suspension in the rear?

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006
I set out to buy a new, reliable, economical and fun hatchback. I managed to get one of those things.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

sadnessboner posted:

I set out to buy a new, reliable, economical and fun hatchback. I managed to get one of those things.

Gold rims. Now.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

sadnessboner posted:

That's a hella nice ride, right there. Is it a 1.6 or 1.9?

Antifa Sarkeesian
Jun 4, 2009

yo les digo que no, que no soy la madre de nadie, pero que, eso si, los conozco a todos, a todos los jóvenes poetas del DF, a los que nacieron aquí y a los que llegaron de provincias, y a los que el oleaje trajo de otros lugares de Latinoamérica, y que los quiero a todos
My second Honda. So glad it's remained mostly stock all these years.

[timg]http://imgur.com/iQnR6KA.jpg
[/timg]

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

That's a hella nice ride, right there. Is it a 1.6 or 1.9?

Australia got the neutered 'export' version of the 1.9, but this one has had an engine swap recently with a rebuilt Citroen BX 1.9, along with the transmission and some go faster bits from a 405 Mi16. Theoretically it's putting down something near to the 130hp of the euro 1.9. Even driving this right after the current Swift Sport, Polo GTI, Skoda Fabia vRS and Citroen DS3 DSport; the handling is a revelation.

sadnessboner fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 6, 2013

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I got a Jeep

1995 Cherokee SE - that's the base model. Manual everything, no console, 4-banger, 5-speed. 223k miles, but runs great, and doesn't leave puddles.

I needed a cheap something to haul stuff, and this fit the bill.

Edit: posting pics from an iPad sucks. Crap, I'll fix it when I get back to a computer.
Edit^2: Now with 100% more picture.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 7, 2013

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

sadnessboner posted:

Australia got the neutered 'export' version of the 1.9, but this one has had an engine swap recently with a rebuilt Citroen BX 1.9, along with the transmission and some go faster bits from a 405 Mi16. Theoretically it's putting down something near to the 130hp of the euro 1.9. Even driving this right after the current Swift Sport, Polo GTI, Skoda Fabia vRS and Citroen DS3 DSport; the handling is a revelation.

Sounds like a pretty sweet package, alright. But I think you could theoretically hit 160hp, with the right bits off of an Mi16. The "right bits" being the sweet 16-valve head, so you'd probably just be better off getting the entire engine out one.

If you can find one, that is. I think there are more Mi16 engines in 205s than there are Mi16s, these days :v:

toaster_pastry
Apr 30, 2004

against all authority

sadnessboner posted:

Best purchase in this thread. <3

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?
This was delivered to me today:

I'd make a comment but all I've been able to do so far is drool and giggle.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Even though i have a deposit on a br-z i was seriously tempted to get a 2006 c6 with low mileage for the same price. Im just willing to give up a LOT of power due to insane california premium fuel prices.

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 7, 2013

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

coolskillrex remix posted:

Even though i have a deposit on a br-z i was seriously tempted to get a 2006 c6 with low mileage for the same price. Im just willing to give up a LOT of power due to insane california premium fuel prices.

This sadly gets better mileage than the 2003 v6 Mustang it's replacing. At least, in theory it does. In practice it would be cheaper and less dangerous to light a gas station on fire.

Edit: I'm also 26, and not quite two years into my first post-college job. This is also only my second car. So frankly I didn't think I had really bought it until it was delivered today. Driving up to test drive and actually buy it I was mostly thinking "there's no way these people are taking me seriously, I'm not an adult!"

ApathyGifted fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 7, 2013

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

ApathyGifted posted:

More Corvettes for the Corvette god! Congrats, any details like year/miles/options?

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

coolskillrex remix posted:

I never understand why people avoid cars because of premium gas, especially with a high end car. You'd be paying what, an extra $100 to $200 a year? Since my Z06 is a weekend car, I'm paying less than $40 more a year for premium, and I'm in San Diego.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Hashal posted:

I never understand why people avoid cars because of premium gas, especially with a high end car. You'd be paying what, an extra $100 to $200 a year? Since my Z06 is a weekend car, I'm paying less than $40 more a year for premium, and I'm in San Diego.

I did some maths when I bought my Redline, and for a 13-gallon tank, it costs around $3.30/tank more than regular petrol if the premium is $0.30/gal more than regular :shrug:. My girlfriend always thought that buying regular would be the best answer to save money on gas, but when I showed her the math and the sticker shock subsided, she realised it wasn't that big of a deal.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Tusen Takk posted:

I did some maths when I bought my Redline, and for a 13-gallon tank, it costs around $3.30/tank more than regular petrol if the premium is $0.30/gal more than regular :shrug:. My girlfriend always thought that buying regular would be the best answer to save money on gas, but when I showed her the math and the sticker shock subsided, she realised it wasn't that big of a deal.

Yep. Everyone is like 'OMG YOU PUT PREMIUM IN YOUR CARS!??!!!' Yes, they're turbo and designed for 91 (93), they'll take 89, but it really does hinder performance. No, I'm not going to try to save a whole dollar per fill and cost myself a few grand or make the car retard itself to, well, retardation..

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

ApathyGifted posted:

am i seeing things or is there some sort plastic thing on the top of the roll hoop?

also seconding the more vettes for the vette gods! :black101:
whats that like 9 or 10 in AI now?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

kill me now posted:

am i seeing things or is there some sort plastic thing on the top of the roll hoop?

also seconding the more vettes for the vette gods! :black101:
whats that like 9 or 10 in AI now?

Antenna I'm guessing.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE
I have a turbo wagon and did an experiment with regular vs premium..

Long story short, the decreased mileage from the regular offset any savings from not buying premium and it drove like it was constantly underpowered (due to spark retarding). So you might as well go premium anyway or get a non-turbo car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Hashal posted:

The br-z will take premium it will just consume far less of it than a c6 I would think.