Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

tarbrush posted:

So is it still raining in New Zealand at the moment?

On the South Island? Yeah. It's always raining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I like the look of whoever this Compton guy is.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Compton over/under 8 caps?

Cocksmith
Dec 28, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Gun to your head: Compton or Cowan? Bullet is an option.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Cowan probably. Compton is basically a journeyman who had one good season on the flattest pitch this side of Karachi.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I blame Ashley Giles.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Cocksmith posted:

Rogers deserves a shot. Could be very valuable over the next 2-3 years.

That's actually a pretty good idea. The team lost a lot of experience through age driven/not getting along with Clarke retirements. Put in a proven batsman with not much to lose or to prove. If nothing else, Rogers will know the value of keeping one's wicket and not playing stupid shots.

In more important news though, with Compton out for a duck, could a good showing by Root foreshadow a change at the top of the order?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
More proof that Lord Dan is the greatest:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/newzealand/content/current/story/623821.html

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Unimpressed posted:

In more important news though, with Compton out for a duck, could a good showing by Root foreshadow a change at the top of the order?

Probably, I'd keep him down the order for a year or so though. Only problem is that if, as suspected, Compton is loving gash, Root's the only other option (apart from Trott moving up or something, but that would involve shifting too many people around).

Ilanin
May 31, 2009

Smarter than the average Blair.

Unimpressed posted:

Not in the immediate future. All of the media reports emphasise the need to give Compton a fair run in the team and how his performance in India was reasonable enough, so that's presumably the line they're getting from the England set-up. And, to be fair, as Andy Flower is fond of pointing out, Joe Root has played one test match and eight ODIs. If he does well in NZ and Compton does poorly, I could see England going with Root and Bairstow (or potentially Taylor) at 6 in the return series.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

I don't get it. Vettori wasn't playing. He himself didn't seem to get into any trouble, he was just out drinking, which is what most people in NZ over the age of 10 do for a good time. By the sounds of it he's taking responsibility for Patel's gently caress up. So what the gently caress is that all about? Did I miss the part about him making GBS threads in the hotel corridor or something? And what's this about Bracewell cutting his foot whilst cleaning? Jesse Ryder must be ashamed to be associated with these guys.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Unimpressed posted:

I don't get it. Vettori wasn't playing. He himself didn't seem to get into any trouble, he was just out drinking, which is what most people in NZ over the age of 10 do for a good time. By the sounds of it he's taking responsibility for Patel's gently caress up. So what the gently caress is that all about? Did I miss the part about him making GBS threads in the hotel corridor or something? And what's this about Bracewell cutting his foot whilst cleaning? Jesse Ryder must be ashamed to be associated with these guys.

Great username/post combo.

I agree wholeheartedly; what the hell else is there to even do in Queenstown? Is the guy supposed to just sit in a hotel room or doctor's office healing whilst twiddling his thumbs? It's just stupid.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

lol gently caress off England you're gash.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

iajanus posted:

I agree wholeheartedly; what the hell else is there to even do in Queenstown?

Bungee jumping and 20" pizzas

Ilanin
May 31, 2009

Smarter than the average Blair.
Good to see we're keeping up the traditional First Test standards (non-English may not be aware - we literally always lose the First Test of an away series unless the opposition is Bangladesh).

Feral Jesus
Oct 9, 2003
A south African? for new Zealand? It shouldn't be allowed imo

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That there is some fine Pietersonning.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

The Duke of Bellington will piss all over this lot.

cadfael
Nov 7, 2010

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Thats the end of Compton then lads. RIP.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

That was the slowest inswinging yorker I've ever seen. Like watching a fatter Mark Ealham bowling a slow ball.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Cricket owns :getin:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Lionel RichTea posted:

The Duke of Bellington will piss all over this lot.

3 down for gently caress all and our best batsmen comes to the crease.

Are we Australia in disguise???????

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
We've still got a spinner.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Hope New Zealand are ready for Trotts not gonna play at anything day. He was far too aggressive in the ODIs so he's got some serious blocking to make up for.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

He had a positively T20-esque strike rate of 50 earlier, now it's a much more sensible 20.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Check out that run rate. Well below 2 runs an over. And as much poo poo as the kiwi's get, they're positively flying through their overs.

Im in bliss right now.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

It was a really weird experience waiting for a 9pm cricket match. Haven't seen much so far unfortunately, but that ground is beautiful.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
England 20/3. Everything is right with the world again.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Trott noooooooo don't hit a four and a 3

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
This could be great. They could grind out the day for ~200.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

I can't get my head around that Pietersen dismissal. I don't care how much cricket you have or haven't played, no batsman should misjudge a ball like that by that much.

Such a wanker isn't he.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

Why is Pietersen even back after being such a massive oval office?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Because he is "good".

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Because all his sponsors told him he'd better be playing for England if he wanted to get paid he said sorry

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

thehappyprince posted:

Why is Pietersen even back after being such a massive oval office?

Because England were poo poo without him. Also, I realise Trott isn't the best looking not most exciting batsman in world cricket, but unless you're a great player like Ponting. This is how a first drop should play. If the Aussies realised that they would be in far better shape. The one thing going for him is the lack of an ego. He can go ten maidens in a row waiting for a bad ball. He is the exception to the Glann McGrath rule, and that's what England need.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
How many balls from this 33 year old hack debutante will Bell last? I say 15.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Meanwhile in the Australian hotel, their top order are crowding around the tv wondering why these English batsmen arent attacking every ball.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Trott is amazing simply for how angry he makes bowlers with his dicking around routine at the crease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Lionel RichTea posted:

I can't get my head around that Pietersen dismissal. I don't care how much cricket you have or haven't played, no batsman should misjudge a ball like that by that much.

Such a wanker isn't he.

He got a late in-swinging yorker first ball.

• Locked thread