Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Rinkles posted:

I was asking about Wasteland 2, rather than Torment, since you also seemed more optimistic about that than about Eternity. The combat system of P:E will most probably make or break that game, whilst that was never the crux of the Fallout games (who's footsteps' W2 is is following), but there's still a lot that they could screw up and Obsidian certainly has more of a pedigree even if you consider the talent Fargo signed on. I'm just more excited about Wasteland because it's the type of game I want to play more.

Oh, I see. As for Wasteland, as you've said, the Fallout-type combat systems are a lot more simplistic than a full fledged fantasy game with 18 levels of spells, feats, magic items, blah blah blah. There's a lot less balancing to worry about; you're primarily concerned with level design and enemy placement, then the gear the characters have, and then just make sure that none of the dozen perks a character is eligible for on level X are totally game-breaking.

Compare that to a BG2 fight with midlevel characters who all have hundreds of ability combinations to pick from, and add the difficulty to balancing all the classes (which BG got away with because of D&D).

The King of Swag posted:

Would someone be willing to summarize why so many people feel Planescape: Torment was the best RPG of all time? Because I couldn't be bothered to even get out of the starting village as it bored me to tears. This coming from someone that loves old school RPGs like Exile (Spiderweb software); I guess I just don't get what others see in it, so hopefully someone can enlighten me.

The first hour of the game is standard amnesia protagonist fare but the plot gets a lot better extremely quickly. If you can get past the handful of early maps it's got better writing than the bulk of fantasy novels at B&N. It's the only game I've ever played that transcended the limitations of the medium. On the other hand, the people that recommend cheating up to max stats immediately are probably right, because if you're trying to fight or care about leveling your character you're doing it wrong.

Adar fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

Twee as gently caress posted:

Pretty big mistake not to already have a list of the first, say, 5 stretch goals in hand when they started the kickstarter. They'll probably end up losing thousands (if not tens of thousands) worth of pledges.
We have a list of way more stretch goals than that. But knowing what your stretch goals are and communicating them are pretty different things, especially since people do expect indepth updates and graphical representations were possible. We're working on 'em, but we're not exactly panicking or anything. Rushing for this stuff would be a mistake. We thought we'd have a day to get the graphics ready, turns out we were wrong. Frankly...big whoop?

Rinkles posted:

It's also possible their earlier pricing estimates on some of the physical rewards were off.
Way off. The profit margin on the physical tiers of DFA and WL2 were awful, and I wouldn't expect to see their like again from a professional company unless they're insanely generous or really desperate. Project Eternity's tiers were based on our experience with WL2, and our tiers now are based on both experiences, we're very fortunate to have a friendly company like Obsidian working in the same realm like that.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
This game could suck huge balls and I'd still be satisfied, that collectors set looks sexy as hell.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Off topic, but BN get a custom title already. I think you guys can afford it.

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

Rinkles posted:

Off topic, but BN get a custom title already. I think you guys can afford it.

I dunno man. I kind of like this title. It speaks to my inner child.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Torment has passed $1.2M in 9 hours. I'm pretty sure that Project Eternity had set a record at biggest first 24 hours after having hit ~$1.2M in 24 hours. I think people are giving them at least a little bit of slack, as it's only been 3 hours since they hit their initial target. I'm not particularly worried if they don't get something else out today other than more amazement responses, etc.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
Not sure I'm so keen on the body swapping mechanic implied in the description, or am I misreading?

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Brother None posted:

We have a list of way more stretch goals than that. But knowing what your stretch goals are and communicating them are pretty different things, especially since people do expect indepth updates and graphical representations were possible. We're working on 'em, but we're not exactly panicking or anything. Rushing for this stuff would be a mistake. We thought we'd have a day to get the graphics ready, turns out we were wrong. Frankly...big whoop?

As I said, it's far from the end of the world, I am personally sold 100% on this project, was just pointing out where some might have a problem

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile
Understood, Twee, but we're not going to rush out anything now. We've got our planned stretch goals and everyone's working triple to get them out there.

SurrealityCheck posted:

Not sure I'm so keen on the body swapping mechanic implied in the description, or am I misreading?

It's not exactly body swapping, you have your own body that you will always return to. But there are segments that you will play controlling other castoffs. The purpose of these is to throw you into very different situations with unexpected challenges and narrative elements. It'll allow us to do pretty wild things with the narrative structure.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

The King of Swag posted:

Would someone be willing to summarize why so many people feel Planescape: Torment was the best RPG of all time?
It's the best RPG of all time because it's the only computer RPG that has come close to what a really good session of a tabletop RPG with a really good GM can be like. The kind where when you tell people about it, you never mention the 20 you rolled because it's only incidental to the story that happened. It's the only CRPG I've ever played that's better than a bad tabletop session.

That said, it's pretty much "reading a book: the game" and not for everyone. Don't bother to look for interesting combat tactics because there are none. Supposedly they'll do better for this one, which wouldn't be hard because it's impossible to be worse, but I would not give a poo poo if every combat was a 10 second rock-paper-scissors minigame if the writing is equal to the original.

I played a tabletop session where combat was handled by a RPS minigame. It was awesome.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Brother None posted:

Understood, Twee, but we're not going to rush out anything now. We've got our planned stretch goals and everyone's working triple to get them out there.

It's not exactly body swapping, you have your own body that you will always return to. But there are segments that you will play controlling other castoffs. The purpose of these is to throw you into very different situations with unexpected challenges and narrative elements. It'll allow us to do pretty wild things with the narrative structure.

OK, I'm down with that. That sounds like a fun way to do it! Is the PC's sex fixed as in Torment original, or can I be a lady this time? >_>

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Brother None posted:

Good! Want nothing more for this than for it to succeed and help lead a new wave of great games using more classic formats.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Brother None posted:

I think if you guys have a frickin awesome 2 million stretch goal you might be able to hit it within the first 24 hours :)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Brother None posted:

I dunno man. I kind of like this title. It speaks to my inner child.

Don't want to commit. I understand. It's hard to forget some things.

SNARF SNARF SNARF
Apr 23, 2012
i don't understand what you're talking about, but it makes me mad as hell! Listen to me, as I spout gibberish, and know that I. I am MAD. :mad:
I don't know, Wasteland 2 didn't look very impressive to me and the premise of this game looks ok but easily screw-able.

I'll let it be funded and see how it goes.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Am I really the only one who enjoyed that intro? :( It was quick, I thought it was charming, and it explained why they are doing another kickstarter before Wasteland 2 is released. That kid is pretty talented as well, and I too have a perpetual hatred for publishers for killing off one of my favourite genres.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

The King of Swag posted:

Would someone be willing to summarize why so many people feel Planescape: Torment was the best RPG of all time? Because I couldn't be bothered to even get out of the starting village as it bored me to tears. This coming from someone that loves old school RPGs like Exile (Spiderweb software); I guess I just don't get what others see in it, so hopefully someone can enlighten me.

It had a neat and somewhat unique setting to build upon and explore, and a lot of quests had more to do with experiencing a portion of that rather than anything else. The story was interesting and the writing was leaps and bounds beyond the stuff found previously in Infinity Engine games. Speaking of that engine, it utilized it to show off a very enjoyable style of art.

And while combat wasn't a very interesting thing in terms of beating on enemies, the items and equipment found were all a joy to read about and utilize.

Lobst
Mar 28, 2002

~HUG LIFE~

0lives posted:

Am I really the only one who enjoyed that intro? :( It was quick, I thought it was charming, and it explained why they are doing another kickstarter before Wasteland 2 is released. That kid is pretty talented as well, and I too have a perpetual hatred for publishers for killing off one of my favourite genres.

I liked the intro, too! I cracked up at "You don't just fire them when they're done?!", because I'm sick as hell of hearing about "routine layoffs" happening whenever a game ships from a major publisher.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Brother None posted:

Holy poo poo, I am so in love with this idea.

:allears:

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Brother None posted:

Just wanted to say that this mechanic/concept sounds really interesting with a lot of potential, definitely the part of the initial pitch that most attracted and surprised me. The room of orb-memories in PS:T was very cool for its short glimpses of other lives around the universe, playing that sounds great.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

0lives posted:

I've got a low tolerance for kickstarter pitches involving the dev's kids but this one worked fine.

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile
Expect word on stretch goals today or tomorrow early. We already passed our first one! Woops. Still got lots to go for, though.

Rinkles posted:

Don't want to commit. I understand. It's hard to forget some things.
It just...seems a little silly to pay for it? Maybe I will at some point tho.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Brother None posted:

It just...seems a little silly to pay for it? Maybe I will at some point tho.

Oh absolutely. It's ridiculous. I was just trying to yank your chain.

I still can't believe how quickly you guys reached your goal. Could be that most of the pledgers are repeat customers, and as the idea of kickstarter gets less controversial more people pledge from the start. Resulting in a more front loaded drive. I wonder what the end sum will be. It's still stunning, especially given the uncomfortable position of asking for funding of a second project when the first isn't out yet.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I hope they do go with turn based combat, and not just because I'm biased! If it's supposed to be less combat focused (good), it would probably be best if the combat was slower and more thoughtful. As much as I like having full party control, it might be best to have your companions computer controlled, like Fallout or Arcanum, just to help emphisise the stronger focus on you as an individual character and your companions as companions rather than combat puppets.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I hope they go with a forced isometric camera with pre-rendered backgrounds, like Eternity. Don't see them matching Torment's marvelous environmental art otherwise.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

So Wasteland 2 and Project: Eternity could be seen as nostalgia bombs or flukes but I think the success of this campaign has really made it clear: if the games release, the isometric CRPG has officially been resurrected :)

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

the black husserl posted:

So Wasteland 2 and Project: Eternity could be seen as nostalgia bombs or flukes but I think the success of this campaign has really made it clear: if the games release, the isometric CRPG has officially been resurrected :)

The people who spent many, many happy hours playing isometric CRPGs throughout their youth now have Real Jobs. I'm not all that shocked that these kickstarters are doing well (a little shocked at *how* well, but hey).

The teams involved so far have had close ties to the early games--I think we'll really know they've been resurrected when new teams come along to make them.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Rinkles posted:

I hope they go with a forced isometric camera with pre-rendered backgrounds, like Eternity. Don't see them matching Torment's marvelous environmental art otherwise.

I'd like this too, but they'd have to build a whole new internal toolset, get familiar with another engine, etc. I have to imagine it will be on the W2 engine.

EDIT: Honestly, I think P:E looks like it's going to be more attractive then W2, although I suppose we still have yet to get a 'real' P:E screenshot.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Fintilgin posted:

I'd like this too, but they'd have to build a whole new internal toolset, get familiar with another engine, etc. I have to imagine it will be on the W2 engine.

EDIT: Honestly, I think P:E looks like it's going to be more attractive then W2, although I suppose we still have yet to get a 'real' P:E screenshot.

Yes they have confirmed that it will be on the Unity Engine

The way things are, I guess that most of inXile's next projects will be using that engine until something better gets along

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Fintilgin posted:

Well I believe all three games actually use Unity, but it'd still be a non-trivial change going from the 3D camera of W2.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Hey Brother None, the link in the FAQ to the Addons tumblr page is wrong, it points to the Rewards tumblr page.

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

chiefnewo posted:

Hey Brother None, the link in the FAQ to the Addons tumblr page is wrong, it points to the Rewards tumblr page.

Cheers.

KillTrash
Dec 6, 2007

Game Fiend
This was my first project I chipped in and I'm super excited about it. And in good timing too, it's been only a couple nights since I finished a replay of PST.

All I know is that next couple years will be awesome for cRPG fans. Wasteland 2, Project Eternity and now this! I can't wait.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Came home from dinner and all the $20 slots were already snapped up! I guess I'll hope someone drops out to a higher tier and frees a slot later. First Project Eternity and now this...it's a good time to be a cRPG gamer :)

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

When I talk about the doomed, the scum, the people who no longer give a shit...When I talk about the filth of the city...I'm talking about you.

I found the kickstarter page, saw the total and automatically assumed it was all over and that I'd missed my chance.

But it's less than 24 hours old. Mother of god.

Fugue Stater
Oct 17, 2012
Trying hard not to get my hopes up too much, but drat I can't help myself. I played through PS: T in about 2-3 days over 10 years ago, but a lot of it still sticks out really clearly, like the fire companion and skull guy, the three (?) aspects of your character that you confront, and the conversation with Ravel. It was one of the most engrossing gameplay experiences I've ever had.

I only hope that the developers don't get too stuck in trying to capture that original Torment magic that the game seems more like an homage rather than its own unique thing. It's OK to stray from the Torment "formula" because ultimately, any historically memorable game is unique in some way, at least at the time of its release.

Also hoping that this (and Project Eternity) get all the polish and playtesting they need, even if it has to ship late, to the painful anguished cries of impatient backers. That is to say, even if you're under a lot of pressure, don't KOTOR2 yourselves, ineXile & Obsidian!

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Fugue Stater posted:

That is to say, even if you're under a lot of pressure, don't KOTOR2 yourselves, ineXile & Obsidian!

Something not enough people know about KotOR2 is that it was made in 9 months.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Over 1.4 million now. Brother None, might have to redo those stretch goal graphics to shift the target values.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Or we're just going to get a post with Fargo listing all the stretch goals we've already met, one after another. They might have doubled their initial target by the time it goes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

Rinkles posted:

Over 1.4 million now. Brother None, might have to redo those stretch goal graphics to shift the target values.

we're not changing our target values. If a stretch goal has already been hit, we'll announce it as already hit. It'd be dickish to push them up. We've already hit one, and are pretty close to the next.

• Locked thread