Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

If, like me, you're a person who plays Puzzle Pirates intermittently, now is a good time to log in, if just briefly, to claim a speccy item that's available for like a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Is it still available?

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

Just to let you guys know, I extended my holiday by 10 days, so I'll see you online in a week.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
Yaarrgghhr just joined. Will wait for an officer to come online.

extrametrical
Oct 1, 2007
You kids don't know what you want! That's why you're still kids: 'cause you're stupid!

Jacada posted:

Just to let you guys know, I extended my holiday by 10 days, so I'll see you online in a week.

I took over your blacksmithery while you were gone and now it's mine.

TheLing
Jul 20, 2008
Just decided to try this for the first time, in as Yarrling

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!
I remember this game, I was good at carpentry and not much else.

In as Nages.

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

I picked the game up to kill time and now I keep playing. I'm not sure what's wrong with me.

In as Ciroe.

Kookus
Mar 20, 2004

My honor is my life
Cardozo

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Someone on my steam list has been playing this, which kind of reminded me how awesome it was. Does this still have a goon presence going?

Scallywag
May 13, 2011

Go away
How often do the officers come online? I've been patiently checking /cwho for the last three days - is my timing just poor?

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Scallywag posted:

How often do the officers come online? I've been patiently checking /cwho for the last three days - is my timing just poor?

I'm not sure about day time, but there's normally group on around 8 pm pirate time.

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe
I'll join the Salty Mouthfuls as Oddabit...

However I've been playing a little bit for the past month or so. Is it normal to pretty much suck at almost every single puzzle? The only one i'm any good at is bilging, but everyone is good at that because it's the first puzzle you do. I've tried almost every one so far except the card games. What can I do? I like the game but i'm just so terrible. Especially swordfighting and rumbling, where you can see other people's boards. They look so much better than mine.

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006

Odd posted:

I'll join the Salty Mouthfuls as Oddabit...

However I've been playing a little bit for the past month or so. Is it normal to pretty much suck at almost every single puzzle? The only one i'm any good at is bilging, but everyone is good at that because it's the first puzzle you do. I've tried almost every one so far except the card games. What can I do? I like the game but i'm just so terrible. Especially swordfighting and rumbling, where you can see other people's boards. They look so much better than mine.

Yes, it's perfectly okay to suck at all the puzzles. There are people in game who are awful at all of them and still have a ball. When you catch one of us on and want into TSM we'll happily help you with puzzles.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

This drives me mad.

I create a character, play poker and make 2-3 million, buy ships and stuff. Don't play for a couple of months, and have to start all over again because my pirates are deleted :(

And I wish real people played poker like Puzzle Pirate players.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Funso Banjo posted:

This drives me mad.

I create a character, play poker and make 2-3 million, buy ships and stuff. Don't play for a couple of months, and have to start all over again because my pirates are deleted :(

Spend any amount of real money and your character will never be deleted. I recommend the very smallest transaction permitted, something like a doubloon 3 pack or whatever.

Auk14HP
Dec 12, 2005

Screw this crap I've had it, I ain't no Mr. Cool

Funso Banjo posted:

This drives me mad.

Have any good PP poker tips? I tend to get bled out before too long :/

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Auk14HP posted:

Have any good PP poker tips? I tend to get bled out before too long :/

Pretty simple. Play tight, chase trips on low pairs if it's cheap, play high pairs all the time, AK and AQ and sometimes KQ, and tend to fold anything else unless you are in late position and can be sure you can get in cheap for the flop. People in Puzzle Pirates are really really bad at poker, they play like they are in a micro-stakes room back in 2005 (very loose). You beat bad loose players (as opposed to good loose players, you won't find many of those) by tightening up, but being aggressive when you have something.

People lose hard because they think a hand like K 10 or a pair of fives is a strong hand. It's not, fold them unless you know you can get in cheap. IF you have a hand like that and you're not the dealer or can get in cheap in the blinds, you probably want to fold.

Playing tight on a full table should assure you of a profit. On a half empty table, correct play changes quite a lot, though. Being loose aggressive is usually right if the others are poor players (which they usually are in PP), but if they still call with almost anything, you need to tighten up a bit more, while maintaining those aggressive tendencies.

Seriously though, if you have ever played poker for real money, you should have no problem in PP. This advice is probably in the "tryhard" area.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 6, 2013

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I find I barely even get to play. People just keep going all in right away. So I just end up folding 10 times in a row till I have a decent hand. Then lose because the guy that went all in with j5 somehow ended up getting 2 5s on the flop.

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!
In as Neverthere. It's going to be hard to roll with the crew when I'm on the other side of the world but eh, I'm going to play sparingly anyway.

Used to play a ton back in around 2008, though. Crazy how all of it still works the same :v:

Cerrone
Feb 23, 2013
In as Sirun

Sillyman
Jul 21, 2008
I don't suppose there's any goons on blue servers (read: only Cerulean now), are there? I play sporadically, but I have a lifetime subscription from back in Alpha, so I'd rather not spend money on a green server or have to put up with free-to-play limitations.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Reallycoolname posted:

Used to play a ton back in around 2008, though. Crazy how all of it still works the same :v:

What is way more crazy, is that the developers hate money to such an extent they have no plans to port this to IOS devices.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I've got enough money saved up now that I should be able to afford to open a shop. Anyone have any tips or recommendations? Once you get going is it good money? Or maybe not worth it?

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006

Dr_Amazing posted:

I've got enough money saved up now that I should be able to afford to open a shop. Anyone have any tips or recommendations? Once you get going is it good money? Or maybe not worth it?

Are you REALLY good at the shop puzzle you want to open? Do you have a lot of alts whom you are wiling to buy labor badges?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I take it I should just buy a boat instead? Also is there an easy way to sell off furniture without spamming people?

Dr_Amazing fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 5, 2013

extrametrical
Oct 1, 2007
You kids don't know what you want! That's why you're still kids: 'cause you're stupid!

Dr_Amazing posted:

I take it I should just buy a boat instead? Also is there an easy way to sell off furniture without spamming people?

I hear that TSM has a shipyard...

As for selling, inns or the YPP forums, mainly. Or just randomly propositioning at the docks.

kremlins
May 9, 2009
Hey! I played PP on and off for a long time and now seems as good as a time as any to start again. Ingame is "Kremlin"

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
In as "olabonebeard".

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Why do you have to be on one of those lovely green oceans.

Seriously though, might play on occasion again. Just some average everyday nobody. I'll find you.

Natenater
Apr 28, 2009
In as Elthorpe

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

Funso Banjo posted:

What is way more crazy, is that the developers hate money to such an extent they have no plans to port this to IOS devices.

You were saying?

(For the lazy: Cleaver just recently announced YPP is coming to "tablets", hopefully by "this summer". Maybe they'll release "content" that isn't just another "color". "Quotation marks")

edit: holy poo poo has it really been over a year since i posted in thread

extrametrical
Oct 1, 2007

Grinnblade posted:

You were saying?

(For the lazy: Cleaver just recently announced YPP is coming to "tablets", hopefully by "this summer". Maybe they'll release "content" that isn't just another "color". "Quotation marks")

edit: holy poo poo has it really been over a year since i posted in thread

The content will be a limited edition grand frigate with a bonus ghost-zombie-vampire haunting it in the limited colour of "lime brown."

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
In with my ancient Kevindubrow account.

e: How can I tell who in the crew is logged in so I can message them?

Kevin DuBrow fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 20, 2013

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

Kevin DuBrow posted:

In with my ancient Kevindubrow account.

e: How can I tell who in the crew is logged in so I can message them?

/cwho the salty mouthfuls

Sair
May 11, 2007

I played this ages ago, let's see how long it lasts this time. Made a guy named Sair.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007
Lot of blockades going down on (edit:) Meridian today, including at least one involving our old friends in Barely Dressed. If you're looking to make some money with the duty puzzles, might be a good day to log on to yer old Meridian alt (or make a pirate on Meridian) and make some PoE.

Grinnblade fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 23, 2013

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Back in as toplitzin, I remember this from the gbs days.

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck
Plunderpants is coming! Plunderpants is coming!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Chairchucker posted:

Spend any amount of real money and your character will never be deleted. I recommend the very smallest transaction permitted, something like a doubloon 3 pack or whatever.

Alternatively, leave a single dubloon on your pirate. Nothing with dubs ever gets deleted.

• Locked thread