Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

A MIRACLE posted:

Booked a flight to SEA! Going with a buddy and his sister for a few weeks. Flying in through Singapore and jumping over to Thailand. How's this itinerary look?

code:
date		morning			evening
4/24/2013	Malaysia: Kuala Lumpur 9:25	Indonesia: Bali - Ubud 12:30
4/25/2013	Indonesia: Bali - Ubud	Indonesia: Bali - Ubud
4/26/2013	Indonesia: Bali - Ubud	Indonesia: Bali - Seminkyak
4/27/2013	Indonesia: Bali	Indonesia: Jakarta
4/28/2013	Indonesia: Jakarta	Indonesia: Jakarta
4/29/2013	Indonesia: Jakarta	Singapore
4/30/2013	Singapore	Singapore

If you keep Jakarta let me know and we can get a beer or something.

But yeah, skip Jakarta and go to Angkor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Sukhothai might have 1/100th the crowd of Angkor but it is also about 1/100th as impressive.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

So, after perusing promo fares for a few weeks, we've decided that the next family vacation is going to be this May, in and around the Hanoi area for 3-4 days. Just a couple questions for goons who have been around that area as we plan our itinerary:

1) My dad's a pretty husky guy and also has a bum knee, so we'd like to avoid doing anything that will involve a lot of walking if possible. Any suggestions for sights or activities that will have a lot of sitting down (like in a cruise or boat tour or something) or at least allow frequent breaks for him to take some weight off his knee?

2) We might need to do some navigating to get around, so I plan on taking my GSM smartphone there. Any recommendations for a decent prepaid carrier with good coverage that will allow me to load enough credits for a few days' worth of 3G browsing? Where would I be able to pick up a SIM card from such a carrier?

Valiant Pudding
Dec 31, 2007
With raisins!
So my girlfriend and I are looking into going to Laos for our next big trip (somewhere in June/August this year). I've been looking around a bit and noticed that a lot of people recommend hiring a car and driver to get around. We're not too keen on doing that, it seems as if we'd be loosing a lot of freedom if we're dependable on some guy with a car.
Is it really not recommended hiring your own car in Laos and driving yourself? We don't mind a bit of adventure and I really like driving myself on trips.

TheLizard
Oct 27, 2004

I am the Lizard Queen!

Valiant Pudding posted:

Is it really not recommended hiring your own car in Laos and driving yourself? We don't mind a bit of adventure and I really like driving myself on trips.

Unless they have improved the roads mightily since 2009, they are really treacherous, and Laotian drivers are.....not great. The main roads are paved (sorta) but as soon as you get off into the villages its all dirt and rocks. During the rainy season, I imagine that some are impassible.

I like what the UK foreign office says:

quote:

Road travel
Roads in Laos are in poor condition. Travel after dark significantly increases the risk of an accident as vehicles often do not have lights. Livestock also stray on to the roads causing accidents.

Road accidents and fatalities have risen sharply in recent years, particularly on night buses. If you are involved in a road accident you will have to pay compensation for third party property damage and injury, even if you are not at fault. As a general rule, the Lao authorities will overwhelmingly find in favour of Lao citizens, regardless of the situation. Lao insurers only meet a small proportion of the costs of an accident and will not cover this compensation.

TheLizard fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Mar 6, 2013

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

anakha posted:

1) My dad's a pretty husky guy and also has a bum knee, so we'd like to avoid doing anything that will involve a lot of walking if possible. Any suggestions for sights or activities that will have a lot of sitting down (like in a cruise or boat tour or something) or at least allow frequent breaks for him to take some weight off his knee?

They probably still have those hands free restaurants in Bangkok where you sit there with your hands in your lap and a hooker puts your food into your mouth for you (so the opposite of the usually goon hands free dining experience) and yet Vietnam still doesn't have a service where two or three 90lb hookers carry your chub-dad around on their backs for the duration of his vacation. I mean, not formally.

This post brought to you by the Not Exactly Being Helpful Corporation.

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all
The serious answer is probably Halong Bay, as it's like right there anyway and the only thing to do there is cruise around on a boat looking at the awesome karst cliffs. Just book with an actual operator (no travel agencies or tour desks!) because all the bookings from people who don't run their own boats get thrown into the same general milieu for boat assignment and it's a total crapshoot whether you end up with a good boat or a horrible one. I heard good things about the one run by Kangaroo Cafe.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

anakha posted:

2) We might need to do some navigating to get around, so I plan on taking my GSM smartphone there. Any recommendations for a decent prepaid carrier with good coverage that will allow me to load enough credits for a few days' worth of 3G browsing? Where would I be able to pick up a SIM card from such a carrier?

You will be able to find SIM cards everywhere. Look for signs saying "Ban card" (Selling cards), "MOBI", "VIETTEL", etc. They're about 100,000d ($5).

To setup 3G for cheap, follow this blog post. Personally, I use Mobifone and it costs me 40,000d ($2) per month to have unlimited 3G data. It's not fast or super reliable but it's loving cheap.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
Any goons in KL this weekend? If I can get the loving Air Asia website to load, I might book a last minute weekend getaway to Malaysia with a friend.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I'll be there next week Tues-Sun

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Many thanks Senso and duralict. That was a big help.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

I'm in KL until I fly out Sunday evening. (Off to Siem Reap then)

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

G-Hawk posted:

I'm in KL until I fly out Sunday evening. (Off to Siem Reap then)

Sweet, we fly out on Sunday evening too. We're two Canadians working in Saigon, let me know if you want to meet. Email is sensoz at gmail.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Jesus, I hope nothing comes out of the North Korea/South Korea issues. My flights into SEA is at the end of this month with Korean Air via Seoul

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

lol internet. posted:

Jesus, I hope nothing comes out of the North Korea/South Korea issues. My flights into SEA is at the end of this month with Korean Air via Seoul
You should be safe. North Korea can only afford one missile per fiscal year and they've already used it.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

North Korea always flexes its muscles when it wants some more food aid.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Let's play another round of "GUESS WHICH CITY?"

Here's your clue:

quote:

A 57-year-old Israeli tourist died in a hotel room bed on Soi Bukhao next to a beer bar girl...
Long time readers should have gotten it by the words "57-year-old" but it's understandable if you needed at least "beer bar girl" to complete the clue. Did you guess Pattaya? Congratulations! You win another reason to never visit!

http://bit.ly/12yJnQ4

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?

quote:

After their initial investigation, the police assumed that Mr. Dan might have had heart failure and died immediately. However, because it was a foreigner who died, the Thai police have a special concern for the safety of foreigners, because they are afraid of getting a bad image of Pattaya as a tourism town.

Haha, I love how this is phrased... god forbid that Pattaya gets a bad reputation!

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Tytan posted:

Haha, I love how this is phrased... god forbid that Pattaya gets a bad reputation!
The even subtler humor there is that what it really means is the police in Pattaya often pay special attention to bullying foreigners who cause the events to become known. If they could charge the dead guy with mucking up Pattaya's pristine image by dying with a bargirl they probably would, heh.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

One of the divemaster trainees here went to Pattaya with his dad when he was 19. For some reason his dad left him a babysitter. Guess what the babysitter did:
a. watched tv with him
b. baked a cake for him
c. blew him

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

eviljelly posted:

One of the divemaster trainees here went to Pattaya with his dad when he was 19. For some reason his dad left him a babysitter. Guess what the babysitter did:
a. watched tv with him
b. baked a cake for him
c. blew him

Dad knew exactly what he was doing.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

dad of the year award

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Stealth dad lets the babysitter win the babysitter of the year award in his place.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I'll take "Things that happen less often in America" for $1,000 Alex.

EDIT: Also, I bet the cake sucked even harder than sh- oh nevermind.

EDIT EDIT: Thai people, generally speaking, can't bake for poo poo, see...

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Mar 10, 2013

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
This poo poo is new ok, they never had it when I was there. :mad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEJwsJqNtWw

A Thai dessert that isn't poo poo?! (That bean on ice with coconut milk thing never impressed me)

raton fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 11, 2013

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
Just put in my resignation on Friday, I was super stressed about it. I'm pretty horrible at resigning.
Flying out on the March 31st with my wife, returning September 1st.

Looking to hit up Laos, Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia and perhaps wherever else on a whim. Been following this thread for the last 4 or 5 months taking notes of places to stay and things to do. We're pretty familiar with Laos so we should be okay on that.

Anyone care to recommend some guesthouses/hotels/must do things? I know there's tons in every place, but my wife probably does not want to just show up and just walk around carrying our luggage looking for a place each time. I know there's sites like Agoda and such, but I'd rather take goon recommendations over them.

We are mainly looking for private, safe & clean rooms with warm water. No bells & whistles needed. Here's a list of places we're going. Not necessarily trying to escape the crowds and tourists spots. Any "central" areas would be fine and dandy. Especially if it's walkable to main sites and attractions.

Thailand
- Chiang Rai (White temple)
- Chiang Mai (Planning on taking a cooking class here, undecided on which one I should take)
- Sukhothai (Unesco Site)
- Bangkok (Lucky House by Khao San)
- Hua Hin (Looking for budget accommodation close to beachfront. Spending time with relatives there, willing to pay a lot higher.)
- Ko Phi Phi
- Ao Nang (Never been here, any recommendations for sites or place to stay would be good)
- Ko Pha Ngan (Seaview Sunrise for FMP - recommended by Reindeer many few pages back)
- Phuket (I realize this is a poo poo hole, but most likely flying out of of Thailand from here, and I prefer to spend at least one night as I don't want to feel like I'm strapped on time.)

Cambodia
- Simp Reap ('ve gone alone and taken a motortaxi alone, since this time, we're in a group of two. I assume i need a Tuk Tuk all day, how much should I expect to pay for one day?)

Malaysia
- Kuala Lumpur
- Penang (Eat lots of food)

Singapore
- Decided on the Inn Crowd so far, as it's where I stayed the last time and it seemed pretty central. But open to recommendations. I know Singapore will cost more then other countries regardless.

Vietnam
- Hanoi (Gonna do the Halong Bay tour with Kangaroo tour. Do you recommend 2 or 3 days?)
- Hue

Indonesia
- Bali
- Yogyakarta

Also doing a 12hour layover in Seoul. I know this is SEA, but I asked the Korean thread and they all shunned me :( I should have about 8hours. Probably planning on getting a day pass for the rail, but looking for the must-do things there. Not interested in any cuisine though. Just sights and no hiking.

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 11, 2013

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all
It's worth spending a day or two in Hanoi, there are some really interesting things to see there and it's right by Halong Bay anyway. IMO a two day cruise is fine - Halong Bay is an amazing place but you won't really see anything different in three days, just more of it. Do it if you really want to stretch out, I suppose.

In Bali, Ubud sounds like the place you're looking for. Bali is very heavily touristed but outside Kuta (or really, Denpasar in general) anywhere you stay or eat is going to be high-quality and well-priced. Ubud's also a good place to splash out for a bit because a very small amount of extra money gets you quite a lot more there.

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005
No myanmar?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

lol internet. posted:

Thailand
- Chiang Mai (Planning on taking a cooking class here, undecided on which one I should take)
-> Eat: Mike's Burgers
-> Eat: Miguel's Mexican
- Sukhothai (Unesco Site)
-> Stay Budget: Lotus Village Guest House
-> Eat: Dream Cafe
- Bangkok (Lucky House by Khao San)
- Hua Hin (Looking for budget accommodation close to beachfront. Spending time with relatives there, willing to pay a lot higher.)
-> Stay Mid-Range Budget: Wannara Hotel (corner near old temple & Sofitel) or several others like it on this road
-> Eat: Seaview Restaurant (just East of "Taj Mahal Indian" on this map: http://goo.gl/maps/ArS5e)
- Ao Nang (Never been here, any recommendations for sites or place to stay would be good)
-> Stay Budget: Ao Nang Goodwill
-> Eat: Spaghetti House (not pretty, but great and Italian run)
-> Sunset Beer: The Last Cafe (walk down hill from Ao Nang Goodwill, take a left at the beach intersection and keep walking until you run into a bunch of monkeys and a cliff)
-> DO NOT GO: Irish Rover, A Shithole

Cambodia
- Simp Reap ('ve gone alone and taken a motortaxi alone, since this time, we're in a group of two. I assume i need a Tuk Tuk all day, how much should I expect to pay for one day?)
-> I haven't done Tuk Tuks for the park before, but I swear it's something like $15?
-> Stay Budget: Velkommen Inn - again, personal friends of mine, very honest and run a clean, friendly place
-> Stay Not Budget: Victoria Angkor
-> Beers: FCC Angkor
-> Wine & Cocktails: Picasso Bar

TheLizard
Oct 27, 2004

I am the Lizard Queen!

ReindeerF posted:

I haven't done Tuk Tuks for the park before, but I swear it's something like $15?

Depends on what temples you go to. The main ones should be $15-25 for the day and Banteay Srei and Beng Melea will have additional charges. I went AC sedan instead of tuk tuk, which was worth it to me.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Personally - and I know this won't work for many people - I'd do it on a mountain bike if I were going to do it again, but that's my preference. Once you realize you can go drat near anywhere you please it's fun tooling around.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Bali advice: unless you like drunk Australians and jacked-up prices, stay out of Denpasar. I thought Singaraja was really lovely but you really can't go wrong with NOT DENPASAR.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

Rapsey posted:

No myanmar?
Never bothered to ask my wife but I'm going to assume she might not want to go. I'll ask her and see how it goes. I was hoping to get to Boracay as well but we'll have to see on how we're doing on our funds midway through our trip.

Thanks, I've been adding all of my travel notes to evernote. I plan on bringing my crappy old blackberry which will allow me to have access to the notes all the time. This will actually save me tons of time since I won't have to do much research-prep before I move onto the next spot. Also Ao Nang Goodwill looks awesome for what you pay during low season.

TheLizard posted:

Depends on what temples you go to. The main ones should be $15-25 for the day and Banteay Srei and Beng Melea will have additional charges. I went AC sedan instead of tuk tuk, which was worth it to me.
Yeah just the main ones really. 15-25 each person or for one tuk tuk, two spots or is this stuffed with a ton of other people as well? When I had a motortaxi, the guy just waited for me all day and I only dealt with one guy.

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Bali advice: unless you like drunk Australians and jacked-up prices, stay out of Denpasar. I thought Singaraja was really lovely but you really can't go wrong with NOT DENPASAR.
Will probably just check it out for a day or so since I'll be right in that area anyways. I'm looking forward to Ubud, that water temple, and the paddy fields.

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 12, 2013

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Just adding a few changes, and remember to hit up the goons in town!

lol internet. posted:

Especially if it's walkable to main sites and attractions.

The whole area opposite of Phuket is nice. I personally would take my wife to Railay. It's a longtail ride away from Ao Nang, but there's fun rock climbing and the "James bond beach". The sunset there is really really nice and the beach is adjacent to those fancy hotels so it's very very clean.

quote:

- Phuket (I realize this is a poo poo hole, but most likely flying out of of Thailand from here, and I prefer to spend at least one night as I don't want to feel like I'm strapped on time.)

Since you are traveling for so drat long on budget places, I think you should opt for a 5 star resort before you go home. Yes it's pricey but compared back home it's a lot cheaper.

quote:

Cambodia

Motortaxi can fit 3 in SEA! 2 is still ok, even with bags. Tuk Tuk are everywhere in Siem Reap though. For the ruins, I paid 10 USD a day for 3 days (2 years ago). I don't know why Cambodia just makes me super stingy :smith: Prices would definitely rise a bit. Honestly, pay as much as you are willing to pay and don't look back. Everyone is scammy. If you really want to know the market average though, just cross reference with different vendors and people. Everyone knows how to put their work face on but off work most people are pretty chill.

quote:

Malaysia
- Kuala Lumpur
- Penang (Eat lots of food)

Hostel situation in Malaysia is so-so. But food beats Thai food. Thai food is overated :smug:

quote:

Singapore
- Decided on the Inn Crowd so far, as it's where I stayed the last time and it seemed pretty central. But open to recommendations. I know Singapore will cost more then other countries regardless.

Say hi to Singapore goons. They know good food.

quote:

Vietnam
- Hanoi (Gonna do the Halong Bay tour with Kangaroo tour. Do you recommend 2 or 3 days?)
- Hue

Not much of a hostel scene in Vietnam at all. Just bargain for a simple hotel room for 10 usd or whatever price a day. Hue had nice historical tombs, but you can finish the tomb sights in 1 days. Really small town.

quote:

Also doing a 12hour layover in Seoul. I know this is SEA, but I asked the Korean thread and they all shunned me :( I should have about 8hours. Probably planning on getting a day pass for the rail, but looking for the must-do things there. Not interested in any cuisine though. Just sights and no hiking.

Korean goons, shunning outsiders? I don't believe this. They are an awesome crowd. Going to Seoul takes a good 45 minutes at least on the airport rail. But for a short stop Seoul is a fun place. Get a cheap sim card for a day and enjoy LTE speeds everywhere! Buy a bunch of random herbs, and spices and announce to the Korean goons that you are bringing some supplies. Korea is a weird country, being so rich yet so insular and hard to get supplies. DontAskKant, lummox and other goons will surely come out to greet you. Tell them that caberham requests the Korean welcome committee. Be prepared to do a lot of drinking. A lot.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Hit up Hoi An in Vietnam too. It is right next to Hue and you can fly out of Da Nang to HCMC if you have the budget.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
Yeah, Hue can be visited in a day. I much preferred Hoi An, personally.

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005

caberham posted:

Not much of a hostel scene in Vietnam at all. Just bargain for a simple hotel room for 10 usd or whatever price a day. Hue had nice historical tombs, but you can finish the tomb sights in 1 days. Really small town.
Hanoi, hue, nha trang have hostels. I had a great time in the Hue backpackers hostel. Hoi An does not unless one sprung up in the last two years.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Rapsey posted:

Hoi An does not unless one sprung up in the last two years.

Dunno, Google brings up a couple of cheap links. Can't say if they're reliable though.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

lol internet. posted:

Is there any reason you want to fly from Thailand from Phuket? It's like... right next to Malaysia (kinda). From Phuket you can get to Koh Lipe after a long and convoluted boat experience, and from Lipe it's easy to get to Penang via Langkawi. Otherwise, if you're only using Phuket as a transit point you might want to investigate getting a boat from Phangan to Surat Thani, then a train from Surat Thani to Penang.... unless you really want to spend ages criss-crossing the country and/or the entire continent rather than doing things in a relatively linear fashion.

caberham posted:

Hostel situation in Malaysia is so-so. But food beats Thai food. Thai food is overated :smug:

I found some pretty awesome hostels in Malaysia - particularly in Kuching and Kota Kinabalu. I agree entirely re: food, though.

Finch! fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Mar 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005

Senso posted:

Dunno, Google brings up a couple of cheap links. Can't say if they're reliable though.
A ton of hotels but not hostels.