Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greybone
May 25, 2003

Not the red cross.

Branches! :gonk:

These guys where just hanging out in a botanical garden in Bangalore, India.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnotized
Nov 2, 2004

doodle_duck_dandy posted:

Early morning deer run

Monach by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

Survey by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

Richmond12 by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

Richmond06 by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

Cool pictures. Is this a deer park?

Gbagbo
Feb 11, 2013
Some photos I took at the UC Davis Arboretum in California.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

Axolotl by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

William T. Hornaday fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 23, 2013

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Squirrel by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Squirrel by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

Amur Leopard by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Look at that tongue. Big cats are so great. I hope someday I have a chance to study them.

doodle_duck_dandy
Sep 20, 2006

Hypnotized posted:

Cool pictures. Is this a deer park?

Its here in london, http://www.royalparks.org.uk/parks/richmond-park its an open park with free roaming deer, so not strictly in the wild.

Bilbo Baggins
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

_DSC1074-28 by Pliv10, on Flickr

_DSC0983-20 by Pliv10, on Flickr

_DSC1047-21 by Pliv10, on Flickr

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Western Lowland Gorilla by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Holy gently caress. That gorilla owns.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
No kidding. Your turn to post a tutorial.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

poo poo, I was desperately hoping to figure out what the hell I'm doing before someone asked me that.

I'll definitely do something in the future. But right now, my processing 'technique' is more or less an hour of aimless trial and error. "What's this setting do? Nope. How about this one? Whoa, that's weird. Maybe this one? Not that either." and so on. It involves a fair amount of drinking as well.

But yeah, I'll definitely keep looking for an opportunity to do one without embarrassing myself.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I always love to open this thread when I see you post because you create some amazing images, but this is over the top. You couldn't get better body language out of a human model. Thirding the request for a tutorial.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Greybone posted:

Saw some killer whales in Mexico! :)

Forgot a longer lens than 55mm AND the polarizer :(

Hey, Mexican orca buddy!

Transient orcas in Banderas Bay by Trips in the Rockies, on Flickr

I had the lens but missed the focus because I was so excited :arghfist::radcat:

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

CarrotFlowers posted:

No kidding. Your turn to post a tutorial.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3053912&pagenumber=178&perpage=20#post413055560

:toot:

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!
Couple of shots I got at the Oregon Zoo on Saturday. Not too wild, but wild enough :P The second one is very simple, but I love looking at it. Must be the lighting.

IMG_3410 by m.clifford82, on Flickr

IMG_3433 by m.clifford82, on Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yep, the lighting is pretty baller.

I like the way it outlines the shadowed area on the bird.

Only distraction is the really bright out of focus branch in the upper right. I'd try burning it or cloning it out.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

xzzy posted:

Yep, the lighting is pretty baller.

I like the way it outlines the shadowed area on the bird.

Only distraction is the really bright out of focus branch in the upper right. I'd try burning it or cloning it out.

I'll give that a try. I'm still honing my skills in LR/PS.

I forgot about this lazy gently caress:

IMG_3263 by m.clifford82, on Flickr

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Does anyone have any specific suggestions for the San Diego Zoo Safari Park? The last time I was there was when I was a kid, and I don't remember much about their setup other than it's more open than a zoo. I'm expecting to need a bit more reach so I was gonna bring the 2x TC along for my 70-200, but maybe that's overkill?

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Does anyone have any specific suggestions for the San Diego Zoo Safari Park? The last time I was there was when I was a kid, and I don't remember much about their setup other than it's more open than a zoo. I'm expecting to need a bit more reach so I was gonna bring the 2x TC along for my 70-200, but maybe that's overkill?

My specific suggestion is to leave it at the hotel and enjoy the zoo. If you gotta be that guy, then go full on balls and rent a 600mm F4 VR.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Musket posted:

My specific suggestion is to leave it at the hotel and enjoy the zoo. If you gotta be that guy, then go full on balls and rent a 600mm F4 VR.
I live like an hour away so it's not really a once in a lifetime opportunity for me. I just decided "hey it might be cool to take photos there" and the weather's good right now before it gets too hot.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 6, 2013

mongeese
Mar 30, 2003

If you think in fractals...

How Smug by herd of mongeese, on Flickr

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Never really shot at zoo's but the limited experience I have and seen from other zoo photos is that I think you want to get in as tight as possible. The problem with zoo photos is that the environment i never great (natural looking). So if you get a nice tight shot of something and minimize the surroundings I think that you will end up with a picture that does not immediately jump out as being shot in a zoo. If you look at William T. Hornaday zoo shots they are usually a very tight shot focusing on the animals face etc.

With all that said lighting is not always ideal so I would bring the 2xTC but maybe try to avoid using it. A TC is not exactly a bunch of extra weight/bulk to carry around.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

San Diego Zoo Safari Park is a bit of a different breed when it comes to American zoos; a lot of it is very large, open-range enclosures. I would absolutely bring the TC.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

White-Faced Saki by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
I finally got around to working on my backlog from last year.

These two are my favorite:

Still by faltion, on Flickr

Sleepy Koala by faltion, on Flickr

These two are just weird:

Deer thinks it's people by faltion, on Flickr

Tongue by faltion, on Flickr

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Fun fact, this is how gerenuks feed. They don't eat grass at all and their diet consists almost entirely of shoots and leaves of trees and bushes, and they stand up on their hind legs to do so.
And giraffe lips and tongues are both prehensile, the latter of which can be up to two feet long.

And to contribute something other than random factoids..

Lion by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Back out in Wyoming for a couple of months.

DuboisMuleDeer 1047 by alankrakauer, on Flickr

DuboisBighornEwe1 1046 on Flickr
Ewe are getting uncomfortably close to my car.

DuboisBighornRam3 1045 on Flickr
Getting some minerals.

DuboisBighornRam2 1044 on Flickr

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Wild moose giving no fucks about my presence, eventually decides to just lie down.

DSC_7595.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

DSC_7628.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

DSC_7655.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

Fart Amplifier fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 16, 2013

Greybone
May 25, 2003

Not the red cross.

Picnic Princess posted:

Transient orcas in Banderas Bay

That's the exact same bay I took mine in :stare:
Small world I guess :)

doodle_duck_dandy
Sep 20, 2006
Very tame.

Watch your nuts by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's a really badass moment.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Maria Island, off the east coast of Tasmania, is full of Bennett's Wallabies.

Hiking to Frenchs Farm 22 by Execudork, on Flickr

Hiking to Frenchs Farm 28 by Execudork, on Flickr

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Western Bearded Anole by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Coquere'ls Sifaka by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
hey moose what are you doing you don't pay rent get out of my yard

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
A couple lazy Iguana's from the Mayan ruins at Telum:

13_03_26_00143 by Logan Roddy, on Flickr

13_03_26_00059 by Logan Roddy, on Flickr

TheeWasp
Jun 25, 2008

IMGP4435 by TheeWasp, on Flickr

animal

IMGP4411 by TheeWasp, on Flickr

another animal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Allen's Swamp Monkey by William T Hornaday, on Flickr