Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mmtt
May 8, 2009

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

The logical end of what you're suggesting is that heroic traits are inherently masculine.

Yes, to me, shooting guns and stabbing dudes in the face is a pretty masculine thing to do and violent. There are women who are strong, stronger than your average man. But genetics say that a man is heavier, taller and stronger than a woman. Your mileage may indeed vary.

Also there are different kinds of courage is what I meant to say. Courage going in to face men armed with guns is a pretty warriory things to do, things my upbringing and education tend to associate with men. Diplomacy, charms and beauty, manipulation, subtlety or stealth and deceit have been far more common weapons for women, at least they have been for centuries.

I realize this is going into the whole gender roles argument but....

Funso Banjo posted:

The game isn't casting her in a male role, instead it is throwing aside the whole "there are male and female roles" notion.

That's where I disagree. What I'm trying to say, Lara feels more to me like a man in a woman's body. You can replace Lara with Max Payne or Indiana Jones and you probably won't tell the difference. By the end game, she swears like them, kills and murders her way through.

If I were to take an example of a strong woman, someone like Catherine Sforza in my opinion comes to mind, not in brute stength but in resilience and determination.
And don't tell me Sam isn't your stereotypical vulnerable teenage girl and red shirt dude your average black strong man. The game's full of stereotypes.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

mmtt posted:

I felt like this because there is Sam journal talking about going on adventures with Lara before and Lara is always running off looking for archeological finds and running away from the 'cute boys'. Guess I'm just curious about the apparent lack of sentimental life of the most iconic female video game character.

I'm saying this because all her qualities, as shown in the game, courage, brawling & shooting, are mostly associated to heroic male stuff. Best exemple is with Alex who acts like a damsel in distress and Lara coming in to save the day, there is a role reversal there.

I don't think she has a lot of feminine traits. She is agile and nimble that I'll grant her. But everyone says she is smart, has good instincts and all and yet she is still dumb as a brick and can't figure the plot ahead despite having all the elements nearly right off the start.
For instance, reality show professor dude is fishy as hell and is a complete scumbag but she only confronts him at the end and yet she doesn't push it. I know the game is all about learn to trust your instincts and all 'cos you are Lara Croft, the most badass woman on earth but still.
Reyes feels more a like strong, grounded female character even if she's even dumber than Lara. Reyes acts like a leader if a lovely one, thinking about everyone involved and the consequences, doesn't want to take unnecessary risks. She is reliable and rational.

I realize those are all gaming/movie tropes and the characters aren't supposed to be genre savvy but it still irks me.
Her decisions and actions can be explained by her young age and inexperience which is a major focus especially in the eariler game. Reyes is more confident because she's older and more experienced and is actually doing what her job description says. Lara gaining confidence throughout the game and being only able to confront some of the difficulties/people at the end is a character development arch leading to her growing into the tomb raider we know from earlier games.

Your association of those traits even if they're simplified for the gaming medium (like her not uncovering plot points beforehand) to being a lesbian and being masculine instead of a weak heterosexual female that I guess she should be is honestly disgusting and tells us all about your own mindset rather than the game's. I'm also quoting your sexist post in case you'd like to edit it out because holy poo poo.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Mar 7, 2013

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

mmtt posted:

Yes, to me, shooting guns and stabbing dudes in the face is a pretty masculine thing to do and violent. There are women who are strong, stronger than your average man. But genetics say that a man is heavier, taller and stronger than a woman. Your mileage may indeed vary.

Also there are different kinds of courage is what I meant to say. Courage going in to face men armed with guns is a pretty warriory things to do, things my upbringing and education tend to associate with men. Diplomacy, manipulation, subtlety or stealth and deceit have been far more common weapons for women, at least they have been for centuries.

I realize this is going into the whole gender roles argument but....

That's where I disagree. What I'm trying to say, Lara feels more to me like a man in a woman's body. You can replace Lara with Max Payne or Indiana Jones and you probably won't tell the difference. By the end game, she swears like them, kills and murders her way through.

If I were to take an example of a strong woman, someone like Catherine Sforza in my opinion comes to mind, not in brute stength but in resilience and determination.
And don't tell me Sam isn't your stereotypical vulnerable teenage girl and red shirt dude your average black strong man. The game's full of stereotypes.

Amazons are pretty renowned for being badass and they also used bows. I'd say she was more of an Amazonian warrior than a man if I had to make a comparison to something. I'd rather just say she was a badass who happens to be female cause it literally doesn't matter.

Look at her melee attack. She doesn't have one, until a certain point in the game. All you can do up until then is push people away from you. After you get the melee attack, look at the animation. It's got no finesse, it's got no planning to it, it's just someone using all their strength to swing their only weapon in a last attempt to keep someone the gently caress away from them. The fact she's a woman doesn't matter, the fact the people she's fighting are all male and burly doesn't matter - she's swinging a pickaxe at you with all her might. That's gonna hurt, but it's not masculine or feminine, it's just survival.

And if you're using Catherine Sforza as your example of a strong female because she's resilient and determined, did we play the same Tomb Raider? Both of those traits apply in spades to Lara. She just won't stop. Just keep moving is a line she uses throughout the game, because if she stops, she loses.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

mmtt posted:

So do you feel women shouldn't ever be placed in that strong physical role that you associate with men? Or just Lara Croft shouldn't?

In the real world, we DO have very tough, physical women who go past the stereotype of strong woman, such as female boxers as one tiny example. How do you reconcile your opinion of strong women with them?

vvvvIgnore that guy, this is a perfectly legitimate discussion, please do respond, I am interested in your opinioon.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Mar 7, 2013

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

^^^No, it's a terrible derail that this thread doesn't need and you're addressing minor issues instead of looking at the childish biotruths mindset he's representing. Unless you're troll baiting him into getting banned I guess.

Jesus loving christ mmtt :biotruths: guy. Stop it because this is loving embarassing. I answered your previous sexist post and you post another even more sexist one? Keep loving digging.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Mar 7, 2013

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

So to hopefully move this thread away from the ticking time bomb that is this topic, how is the multiplayer? Is it a gorier Uncharted where you can climb objects and so on or is it more like Gears of War which is rigid cover shooting? I probably won't have time to check for a while.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
This is a very rare thing for me, but I've just gotten past the helicopter crashing part and decided I won't finish the game.

I'm trying to be delicate here, because I don't want to overly condemn the game. It feels like something that was created with a very clear direction, but didn't focus enough to hit any marks. Sometimes missing radically, such as the transition from sinless explorer to female Frank Castle. The entire pace of the game felt abrupt, with so many things happening that were beyond my control. Nothing the game did would help me overlook that the story happens and I'm just there for the ride.

Specifically, the flow of encounters wore out fast on me. I enjoyed the earlier parts when they gave you some room to move and a decent handful of enemies to beat. I felt like I could be clever with tactics, silent, or brutish due to the room given. They quickly drop that in favor of lots of enemies, making finding the one guy who can hit you behind that cover piece a real pain. Lara herself was.. Well, I got really sick of those gasp noises. Really sick. It's clear they are trying to approach this from a novice adventurer point of view, but it felt like they made her overly incompetent. She can hardly walk a straight line without tripping some or bumping into something, gasping like a fish out of water the entire time. The amount of beating she takes is disturbing. I realize we're suppose to be seeing someone who hardens up, but I wouldn't even be comfortable seeing Kratos take this kind of rear end whoopin'. They made her seem too fragile, like she isn't getting any better at this crap despite shrugging off some very intense wounds (in some cases, literally ignoring real life death sentence injuries). I know, "you will want to protect her!" business. Whatever. It doesn't make for a fun game or an attractive heroine. Tomb Raider: Lara Croft's Totally Bogus Adventure.

Despite my personal views, objectively, it's on par with many modern titles. The game runs a bit slower than I'd like, but there are some visually impressive scenery and so many things to collect/look for, it became overwhelming very fast. Platforming felt good; most of my frustration came from a messed up sense of depth perception, though I managed to adjust enough to negate most issues. While I won't be heralding the story anytime soon, it has more going for it than your average video game writing. While I disliked the combat as a whole, I liked some of the concepts such as leg shots stunning/allowing an instant kill. Overall, it's a game that does "well enough" in many aspects and I can see your average gamer getting his/her $60 out of the game. I'd be interested in seeing where they go from here.

Someone from Giant Bomb said that they had a lot more fun playing than they did talking about the game, and I think that's a fair assessment. Now that I've stepped away, I see more flaws than I did when playing. It's a shame I couldn't tough it out, I'm usually very dedicated to playing any game. I just.. I guess I've sort of hit a limit here. The past year has been a tough time for rebooted series.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007
One of the things I like most about this game is that Lara is very much an unlikely badass, so when you start killin' tons of dudes I feel it makes it that much more satisfying compared to when you're controlling "Hard as hell military dude" or "Incredible space badass". I get this picture of these big burly assholes getting constantly embarrassed by this girl, and eventually coming to a point where they have to begin to take her seriously. It just feels so cool to me for some reason.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Megasabin posted:

This is not true at all, and I'm not sure why it keeps getting repeated. You are not playing as a normal person. You are playing as Lara Croft. She is a natural born adventurer, action-superstar, and killer. This game is about her discovering this about herself. In fact they literally throw this fact in your face over and over.

"I had to kill a bunch of people"
"That must have been hard"
"Actually it was surprisingly easy"

"I'm not that kind of Croft."
"Yes you are, you just don't know it yet"

"All those trips. it's like I was being trained for this all along."

The theme of this game is hardly survival of a normal person. It was advertised as such, but that's because every preview segment was from the first two hours, which is not representative of the full game. It's like people watched the previews, made up their mind about the theme of the game, and then refused to actually parse any of the game they were playing

I disagree, but perhaps I explained myself poorly.

Lara Croft that character is not/should not be a heartless cold murder machine. She's a survivor and explorer, strong, capable and all that, but doesn't get off on killing hundreds of people. In the gameplay, you play a character that's a sociopathic mass murderer.

That does not match up with the cutscene Lara who is really only concerned with saving her friends and getting off the island. Sure, she's realizing she's a strong person and a survivor - a superstar as you say. That's great and totally appropriate for her character. And wanting to avenge her mentor and friends as well. But that's also very different than realizing she likes the murderin'

That's the disconnect that I don't like. It's the same problem as Uncharted. Affable dude ruthlessly guns down 1000 dudes to get to the next checkpoint.
Not to mention the narrative beats her to hell and tries to portray her as vulnerable when she's suddenly a crack shot with everything she picks up and can mow down waves of 25 guys without a scratch.

I agree with Lothire's comment above. It seems like they had a direction at the beginning but it got lost along the way. It was in development a long time and they probably just had to get it done, so lots of stuff was dropped.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
She's only an unlikely badass as long as you're controlling her.

Lothire posted:

Well, I got really sick of those gasp noises. Really sick. It's clear they are trying to approach this from a novice adventurer point of view, but it felt like they made her overly incompetent. She can hardly walk a straight line without tripping some or bumping into something, gasping like a fish out of water the entire time. The amount of beating she takes is disturbing. I realize we're suppose to be seeing someone who hardens up, but I wouldn't even be comfortable seeing Kratos take this kind of rear end whoopin'. They made her seem too fragile, like she isn't getting any better at this crap despite shrugging off some very intense wounds (in some cases, literally ignoring real life death sentence injuries). I know, "you will want to protect her!" business. Whatever. It doesn't make for a fun game or an attractive heroine. Tomb Raider: Lara Croft's Totally Bogus Adventure.
I started skipping cutscenes after a while, otherwise I would have stopped playing too. Personally I think the amount of injuries and pain they make Lara go through in cutscenes (together with the gasping, panting, whimpering and whatnot) is total bullshit.

Reveilled posted:

Admittedly I only played the first few games, but this game definitely feels more like a straight reboot that throws out the old games rather than an origin story. It has been years and years since I played the original Tomb Raider, but I don't remember Lara Croft being a stone cold murder machine. I don't even remember there being that many human mobs (as opposed to human antagonists), mostly animals and mutants.

It's a really good action game, but the fact that I'm killing a shitload of people and not really solving puzzles very often means it doesn't really feel like a Tomb Raider game, and I hope if there's a sequel they're not planning to just turn it into a shooter franchise.
This is mostly how I feel. Except for the dissonance between Cutscene Lara and Gameplay Lara, as a third person action game Tomb Raider (2013) is good. As a Tomb Raider game however I consider it an abject failure. Don't get me wrong, making TR combat better isn't a bad thing, but I'm afraid they overdid it with making combat the main point of the tranchise from this point onwards.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

Megasabin posted:

This is not true at all, and I'm not sure why it keeps getting repeated. You are not playing as a normal person. You are playing as Lara Croft. She is a natural born adventurer, action-superstar, and killer. This game is about her discovering this about herself. In fact they literally throw this fact in your face over and over.

Who says Lara is a natural born killer? I mean isn't this an origins story and we're supposed to see how she became that way?

I would have loved to see her start off as 'incompetent' and falling flat on her face in the beginning but then turning into rambo by the end.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
drat Lara, you look like poo poo girl! You could use a holiday.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

GUI posted:

So to hopefully move this thread away from the ticking time bomb that is this topic, how is the multiplayer? Is it a gorier Uncharted where you can climb objects and so on or is it more like Gears of War which is rigid cover shooting? I probably won't have time to check for a while.

I find it fun, when I do find a game (PC). The leveling mechanic is weird to me, you get salvage crates in the maps the same as single player which you can apply to weapon upgrades for your characters (who are unlocked by leveling up with xp) though I'm not sure if the upgrades are linked to the characters. Everything about the game play seems to encourage camping - you get bonuses to your damage and hitpoints the better you are doing, except they wear off once you die. You get bonus xp for making kills to people who have just spawned, and then even more for doing it consecutively, and then more so again for repeatedly killing the same person. Luckily you can actually get xp for dying to the same person over and over, but it is less. In one team deathmatch, me and 3 guys locked in the other team for a good 10 minutes with rifles headshotting them as they spawned. The only way out of the spawn was by zipline over a fatal drop (for some reason). If you get shot on the zipline, you fall to your death! So their only option was to try and snipe back, but with the xp and salvage from the kills etc, we could upgrade our rifles for better damage and accuracy making headshots a breeze. You can also do things like melee charge people and stunlock them that way, and I think you can down them by shooting them in the legs, but I haven't seen it done.

There are traps in multiplayer, but I've only seen them in preset places, and haven't figured out how to set my own (probably a character unlock?)

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
As reported on Steam, it appears that the some of the lighting/decal/etc effects aren't working when the game is fullscreened. You can easily test it for yourself by staring at the sun as soon as you leave the first cave and observing a halo/no halo around the sun as you switch between windowed/fullscreen. It seems to have the most dramatic impact on the quality of lighting -- the burning village is quite spectacular when all the effects are firing.

Oh PC gaming, I still love you.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Spite posted:

I disagree, but perhaps I explained myself poorly.

Lara Croft that character is not/should not be a heartless cold murder machine. She's a survivor and explorer, strong, capable and all that, but doesn't get off on killing hundreds of people. In the gameplay, you play a character that's a sociopathic mass murderer.

That does not match up with the cutscene Lara who is really only concerned with saving her friends and getting off the island. Sure, she's realizing she's a strong person and a survivor - a superstar as you say. That's great and totally appropriate for her character. And wanting to avenge her mentor and friends as well. But that's also very different than realizing she likes the murderin'

That's the disconnect that I don't like. It's the same problem as Uncharted. Affable dude ruthlessly guns down 1000 dudes to get to the next checkpoint.
Not to mention the narrative beats her to hell and tries to portray her as vulnerable when she's suddenly a crack shot with everything she picks up and can mow down waves of 25 guys without a scratch.

I agree with Lothire's comment above. It seems like they had a direction at the beginning but it got lost along the way. It was in development a long time and they probably just had to get it done, so lots of stuff was dropped.

I think a lot of this can be explained by shellshock from the initial crash/injury/what-the-gently caress-is-going-on-why-are-people-trying-to-kill-shipwreck-survivors type stuff. Despite her ineptitude in cut scenes, there are several remarks made in the game by supporting cast and Laura herself, that she has been trained to be a crackshot with a bow, knows how to fire weapons, and in general has all the necessary training to be a bad-rear end action star. There is no magic learning curve for her.

I will agree the game's cut scenes portray you as too fragile for too long of the narrative, especially in light of all those comments the writers purposefully inserted. However, at least in my opinion they were clearly building up to her be an rear end-kicking action star without remorse. Also Laura's character never really had much humanity in the earlier games. She murdered tons of people. I mean one of her trademarks is wearing dual pistols on her hips, which she utilizes frequently.

Even though far from perfect, I feel like this game addresses these issues far better than say the Uncharted series, where your mass murdering antics aren't even addressed, but by a single line by the boss of the second game, which is promptly ignored.

4 Day Weekend posted:

Who says Lara is a natural born killer? I mean isn't this an origins story and we're supposed to see how she became that way?

I would have loved to see her start off as 'incompetent' and falling flat on her face in the beginning but then turning into rambo by the end.

The game says so. It doesn't say explicitly "killer", but there are enough lines as I've pointed out that the game definitely says she has the previous training to do everything you've seen her do throughout the game. Also the game does show her change from innocent to angry and vengeful. I mean she is thrown into a place against her will where people are actively murdering her friends, and trying to kill her without any provocation. Is that not enough of a reason to see "how she becomes that way"? I'm not quite sure what you are looking for her narrative wise. Did you want another few hours of her watching the bad guys slaughter her friends, before she decides killing them is ok in her moral compass?

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Mar 7, 2013

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

I do not feel there is a disconnect between gameplay and the plot - Lara is seemingly reluctant at killing initially, but as her Bad Day got Worse, and these people hurting those she cares about, she simply starts to rage at them instead.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Spite posted:

Did we play the same game?

When Lara killed her first human being, she barely cared. She had maybe 5 seconds of shock, then shrugged it off, and proceeded to keep killing. When her moral compass tried to comfort her, she said it didn't matter, it was actually easy.

When she gets told she has to do something impossible, her response was almost always a few seconds of working herself up for it, then going off and doing it.

After getting the poo poo beaten out of her by the environment/people, she gets right back up, finds a weapon, and then kills them. No "Oh gods!" "Oh how can I do this!", just straight "Sweet, I have a pistol, time to kill more people."

Her response to the death of her friends is always the same, she's going to kill the entire island as revenge. No self pity, just revenge, that's her answer.

At no point during the entire game is she actually portrayed as weak. Squeamish and unwilling to slice up a deer? Sure. Having a really really bad day? Sure. But the thing is, after every bad thing, she responds to it with anger, violence, and Rambo levels of determination. At no point does she have to sit and justify what she's doing, she's going to murder her way through this island, gently caress the rest.

That's why I'm curious when people say they have this major disconnect. At no point do they push Far Cry 3's "What have I become!" nonsense. The narrative from the very beginning is "In your darkest moments you see what you really are." and in Lara's case, she's a "Croft" ie a sociopath/rambo/action hero. I'm getting the feeling people are taking the scenes of her getting beaten up by the environment, and taking them as demasculating ( defeminating? ) her, thus making her weak. They don't. She doesn't bitch and moan that she got beaten by a rock, she gets up, walks it off, then kills more people, gently caress that noise.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
But here's the thing: you kill like 700 people during the game. That's crazy levels of shooting. I don't think they are trying to show that Lara is a sociopath - they want to make her an action movie badass sure, but not someone who can't wait to mow down 25 more dudes.

I don't mean to say she's a shirking violet at all. She's willing to do whatever it takes to survive and save her friends. But the amount of combat in the game doesn't fit the narrative. It would have been much more effective to have much, much fewer enemies, have each one be extremely dangerous and really make the player work to survive.

Also I'm very amused that this cult on a deserted island is apparently the size of a small army. Seriously, how many of them are there?

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

Just keep moving. Just keep moving.

I dunno how anyone can call her a sociopathic mass murderer. If someone tries to kill you but you kill them, it's survival, not some sort of mental disorder. It just so happens that the entire island are trying to kill her.

edit - you don't kill like 700 people. It's less than half that, at most.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Spite posted:

But here's the thing: you kill like 700 people during the game. That's crazy levels of shooting. I don't think they are trying to show that Lara is a sociopath - they want to make her an action movie badass sure, but not someone who can't wait to mow down 25 more dudes.

I don't mean to say she's a shirking violet at all. She's willing to do whatever it takes to survive and save her friends. But the amount of combat in the game doesn't fit the narrative. It would have been much more effective to have much, much fewer enemies, have each one be extremely dangerous and really make the player work to survive.

Also I'm very amused that this cult on a deserted island is apparently the size of a small army. Seriously, how many of them are there?

Oh, on that I readily agree. There are way to many dudes on the island for both the narrative ( it's a cult made up of shipwreck survivors. Where the gently caress are they all coming from. ), and the gameplay ( you're not so much surviving as you are mowing down a small army of exp bags. )

I thought you were going for the Brad/Patrick "she's presented as really weak, and then suddenly she murders everything." when yeah, she's presented as a Croft, and then just escalates from there into Action Movie/Rambo tropes.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

Megasabin posted:

The game says so. It doesn't say explicitly "killer", but there are enough lines as I've pointed out that the game definitely says she has the previous training to do everything you've seen her do throughout the game. Also the game does show her change from innocent to angry and vengeful. I mean she is thrown into a place against her will where people are actively murdering her friends, and trying to kill her without any provocation. Is that not enough of a reason to see "how she becomes that way"? I'm not quite sure what you are looking for her narrative wise. Did you want another few hours of her watching the bad guys slaughter her friends, before she decides killing them is ok in her moral compass?

One bit really sticks out for me is when you rescue Reyas and pals and Lara murders three people in front of them sorta in cold blood and then they go "wow that was badass lara". That just seemed like a really weird response from them.

edit: basically I feel that after her first kill it really seems all the subsequent kills had no effect on her. You can say she's naturally ruthless or naturally a survivor or whatever but I kinda feel that's a cheap way out especially since this is an origins story and instead of focusing on how Lara became so ruthless and confident and whatever it's just a story about her first expedition.

She's obviously competent with a bow and everything to do with mountain climbing (pick axe, rope etc.) but I would have loved to see how she actually dealt with going way outside her comfort zone. Maybe I just expected something different from the game.

4 Day Weekend fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Mar 7, 2013

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Spite posted:

The amount of kills is obviously inflated by what audience they were targetting. Also if your usual action movie lasted 10 hours instead of 2 - you would see the exact same amount of kills.

Her attitude throughout the entire time is nothing more than survival though - that's why she treats the deaths on 'her' and 'enemy' sides differently. It's a mindset of somebody being in a warzone and getting to the other side by any means necessary while still maintaining last bits of sanity by relating to close friends and channeling emotions in their direction.

Of course after all this she should have one hell of a PTSD or just turn into a cold mass killer that we know from the previous games :v:

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
It's also a video game.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Monolith. posted:

It's also a video game.
There are games that treat it differently like I Am Alive which was exactly based around survival where every kill did count. However the game was very repetitive because the devs didn't really know how to make this idea varied enough.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Rookersh posted:

Oh, on that I readily agree. There are way to many dudes on the island for both the narrative ( it's a cult made up of shipwreck survivors. Where the gently caress are they all coming from. ), and the gameplay ( you're not so much surviving as you are mowing down a small army of exp bags. )

I thought you were going for the Brad/Patrick "she's presented as really weak, and then suddenly she murders everything." when yeah, she's presented as a Croft, and then just escalates from there into Action Movie/Rambo tropes.

Yeah, she's definitely a badass, and she should be. But she still shouldn't be able to mow down all the dudes without a care in the world. It's not what the plot says her motivations and feelings are, it's what the gameplay is.

She's tired and beaten down in the cutscenes, but when you control her, she's invincible. That's where it feels wrong to me.

TheBystander
Apr 28, 2011

Spite posted:

Yeah, she's definitely a badass, and she should be. But she still shouldn't be able to mow down all the dudes without a care in the world. It's not what the plot says her motivations and feelings are, it's what the gameplay is.

She's tired and beaten down in the cutscenes, but when you control her, she's invincible. That's where it feels wrong to me.

Yeah actually, if there's one thing that gets to me about the game, it's that her wounds don't exist outside of cutscenes, barring a few exceptions. For the most part, no matter how many spills she takes, or how many times she gets wounded during a cutscene, she won't move or play any differently in game. Fatigue is never a factor. She never winces or misses a shot because of pain. She is essentially unfeeling.

This is, of course, easily explained by just saying "it's a video game", and I'm fine with that answer, but the big issue to me is that visually, this game goes the extra mile in showing you how grueling this experience is. Every cutscene feels like another round of injuries for her, and those injuries are the primary focus of those scenes: there are points where the focus is entirely on just how bad Lara is feeling (as mentioned before, the very fact that she shivers from the cold is a surprising attention to detail rarely seen in other games). But none of this has any bearing on her performance once the player's back in control. It makes her wounds feel fake, or alternately, makes Lara seem superhuman. It's definitely something that I think could have been handled better.

That said, I'm having a lot of fun with this game, so ultimately my complaint is with the immersion, not the execution.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

TheBystander posted:

This is, of course, easily explained by just saying "it's a video game", and I'm fine with that answer, but the big issue to me is that visually, this game goes the extra mile in showing you how grueling this experience is.
But it really should be explained as it being a video game because when you die you're teleported to the nearest camp with all the collectibles that you gathered between the last save and your death still in your pocket. So it's not a reload but an actual resurrection. Also if they were to make it realistic she would look like a walking nightmare by the end with the mixture of dirt and blood creating an inch thick armor on her skin. Because of both those factors they absolutely made the best decision of still making her look easy on the eye if a bit roughed up.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

TheBystander posted:

Yeah actually, if there's one thing that gets to me about the game, it's that her wounds don't exist outside of cutscenes, barring a few exceptions. For the most part, no matter how many spills she takes, or how many times she gets wounded during a cutscene, she won't move or play any differently in game. Fatigue is never a factor. She never winces or misses a shot because of pain. She is essentially unfeeling.

I think you're thinking waaaaay too hard about what is ultimately a pretty traditional videogame. Max Payne soaks up bullets constantly, both in and out of cutscenes, and aside from (like Lara) occasionally stumbling around a bit, he's not permanently effected either, except for one level in Max Payne 3 where he takes a bullet to something a bit more vital and ends up monologuing about how beat up he feels.

As for Lara supposedly being hesitant in cutscenes, I really don't think so, either. The first time she tries to rescue Sam, she goes in trying to kill everything in her path, only to get overwhelmed. When she gets another shot at rescuing her, there's not even a pause between Matthias leaving the room and the guard getting an arrow straight through the heart.

Some of you seem to be expecting Lara to be weaker or more emotionally fragile than the game ever presents her as, outside of the first hour.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Enemies hit her with fire arrows in the face sometimes. Where's my realistic indication of that.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
What I am hoping for is that next game they add back in her slightly flip attitude. Then we will have squared the circle.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Really, I just see this as the video game version of CW's "Arrow." The two really do parallel each other in multiple instances, and a lot of the issues being brought up about Lara being a stone-cold killer were exactly the same issues brought up with Ollie Queen in the show. We just don't have the advantage of seeing what happens after Lara's been off the island for a few years down the road, but it's pretty much the same situation with the island, enemies, and of course a bow. It's almost to the point where it's hard to call it a coincidence.

As for the change in style, I don't mind. Classic Tomb Raider puzzle-solving was fun and all, but I just don't know how it would sell in the current gaming market. Turning it into a more action-oriented type of game was probably the only way to save the franchise at this point. The great thing is that if you're a fan of the tomb elements and puzzles, those are always possible as DLCs and expansions once the story is out of the way, a concept that wouldn't have been possible in the old days. And, as another plus, if they were pretty much doomed to turn Lara into an action hero, they did make a pretty solid game in doing so. I'd like to see the sequel have more of the actual tomb raiding elements and more difficult puzzles, but it's been a pretty great reboot for a new generation of gamers on the whole.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Dominic White posted:

I think you're thinking waaaaay too hard about what is ultimately a pretty traditional videogame. Max Payne soaks up bullets constantly, both in and out of cutscenes, and aside from (like Lara) occasionally stumbling around a bit, he's not permanently effected either, except for one level in Max Payne 3 where he takes a bullet to something a bit more vital and ends up monologuing about how beat up he feels.
To be fair, a lot of people (myself included) are tired of traditional video games passing themselves off as something more. Games like Tomb Raider and Max Payne don't actually earn the story they're going for because they don't put in the work to make the gameplay match the tone. If people are willing to look past that then that's cool, but the split between the fiction and the reality of the player's actions is noticeable.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The closest picture I found of how she would realistically look like somehat half-way through the game:

Not enough blood, wounds and burns though. She would also limp, slouch and walk really slowly and half of the game would actually be her resting/sleeping. And wipe that smile off your face because PTSD/depression or maybe the insanity is already kicking in?

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
To be fair she is frequently running through waterfalls, so she would easily be able to get rid of most of the outward grime.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish
I'd be willing to bet a large sum of money that you will never, ever, be able to find a thread full of so many people arguing this kind of stuff about a video game with a male protagonist.

"Why don't her injuries show up more? Why can she take bullets and fall and stuff and not limp around like an injured deer?"

"Why is she such a sociopath for killing guys who are trying to murder her? Why doesn't she just curl up into a ball and cry instead?"

"Why are the death scenes so violent?"

"Why does she manage to stay so clean and pretty?"

gently caress's sake, guys. Find me five pages of this kind of bullshit in a discussion about Max Payne or Batman or God Of war or Dead Space or whatever the gently caress else. Seriously, give it a try. Substitute "her" and "she" above for Kratos or Marcus or Halo dude guy.

If you ever find yourself wondering why so few women play not-casual videogames, or why women have had a hard time finding good heroic role models, this thread is a fuckin' perfect example of the obstacles still in place.

Chillmatic fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 7, 2013

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Dominic White posted:

The only thing that really bugged me about this is that she gets a spike through her side right at the start of the game, and the same injury keeps coming back as part of these cutscenes, but for a very long time she doesn't bother to bandage herself up until she's literally dying from the injury depsite having access to first aid supplies before this (and not searching for them between times), and showing no signs of injury in between times.

I can suspend my disbelief that Lara has videogame regenerating health, and I can believe that she gets more seriously injured in cutscenes that lead to tense stumbling down a forest trail type scenes, but an injury that appears only when the plot requires it pushes things a little too far.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

Chillmatic posted:

I'd be willing to bet a large sum of money that you will never, ever, be able to find a thread full of so many people arguing this kind of stuff about a video game with a male protagonist.

"Why don't her injuries show up more? Why can she take bullets and fall and stuff and not limp around like an injured deer?"

"Why is she such a sociopath for killing guys who are trying to murder her? Why doesn't she just curl up into a ball and cry instead?"

"Why are the death scenes so violent?"

"Why does she manage to stay so clean and pretty?"

gently caress's sake, guys. Find me five pages of this kind of bullshit in a discussion about Max Payne or Batman or God Of war or Dead Space or whatever the gently caress else. Seriously, give it a try.

If you ever find yourself wondering why so few women play not-casual videogames, or why women have had a hard time finding good heroic role models, this thread is a fuckin' perfect example of the obstacles still in place.

As someone who hasn't complained about any of this and honestly doesn't care about any of this, I agree with you that it wouldn't get any of this if it were a male protagonist. One thing I will say though is after playing through the whole game she did have a tendency to fall off/through everything, but I started finding it hilarious after the first couple of times. Running gag!

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
As far as game mechanics go, I think they might have been better off hiding the in combat xp messages and made the "Good job headshot" feedback something less explicit. Maybe even divorced the xp entirely from how you choose to solve combat. I would have happily run through the game shotgunning all the dudes, but the moment I realised that stealth killing everybody, or headshotting them, was way better xp I was kind of stuck doing that.

Also exclamation mark messages like "KILLER HEADSHOT! +20xp" didn't really fit the nominally grim tone.

Dustin1986
Jul 13, 2006
I don't suppose anyone knows where I could download a late game save file? I was very near the end and hit a gamebreaking bug, and can't continue. It would be nice to get one at 80% or so?

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Chillmatic posted:

gently caress's sake, guys. Find me five pages of this kind of bullshit in a discussion about Max Payne or Batman or God Of war or Dead Space or whatever the gently caress else. Seriously, give it a try. Substitute "her" and "she above for Kratos or Marcus or Halo dude guy.

I don't know if you have noticed but many voices in this discussion are saying exactly that but using humor and exaggeration instead of just throwing hands into the air. Like my posts on this page for example.

• Locked thread