Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

They sort themselves out usually. Vinyl production has been really lovely the last 6 or so months on big label stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Amazon is great. Every time I've gotten that message the item ended up coming on time or at the most a few days late.

I'm sure if you call them and complain they will make it worth your while. Never had a bad customer service experience with them.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I didn't even know Acrobatic Tenement was out yet.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
Incase we are still sharing setups. Oh god do I need furniture.

P2214800 by SEJRamsay, on Flickr

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Laser Cow posted:

Oh god do I need furniture.

You have your priorities straight :cool:

eggsovereasy fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 7, 2013

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Anyone's copy of mbv come yet? I'm waiting for mine still in Seattle.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:
Sorry I don't have a camera outside of my webcam but I am very excited to own this!!

I went out before work and bought A Dozen Dead Roses by No Trend, but unfortunately I left it in the break room so I can't get miserable before I get miserable for 8+ hours

WASDF posted:

Nope not yet, I'm just south in Portland so we'll probably get them at the same time

The Doo Do Chasers fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 7, 2013

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up

WASDF posted:

Just got mine today in Charleston, SC. I want to be home from work really badly now.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

Surfingelectrode posted:

I sold a Sex Pistols record for $300 and used the money to buy a Flaming Lips record for $260 that wound up being reissued a few months later.

I am all for reissue campaigns drastically dropping the value of OOP albums. I'd like to own some nice original Tool and Sigur Ros records but I am not paying $200 for what is essentially a $20 LP.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Laser Cow posted:

I got the same for Bowie's new album, is this Amazon speak for "oops you're never getting it"? Or do they sometimes sort themselves out?

Burning Shed (my favourite online store) posted yesterday that there'd be a two week delay on the vinyl version so it's not Amazon's fault.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

david puddy posted:

Burning Shed (my favourite online store) posted yesterday that there'd be a two week delay on the vinyl version so it's not Amazon's fault.

If I had to venture a guess. The delays are probably because the pressing plants are dealing with all the RSD poo poo.

dutch wife abc
Apr 25, 2012

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

Sorry I don't have a camera outside of my webcam but I am very excited to own this!!

MAJOR cool points.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.

WASDF posted:

Yes. I got it two days ago, enjoying it a lot.

[edit]Though the sleeve is damaged because they put it in a huge box that it got banged around in.

Laser Cow fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Mar 7, 2013

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

Laser Cow posted:

Yes. I got it two days ago, enjoying it a lot.

[edit]Though the sleeve is damaged because they put it in a huge box that it got banged around in.

I got mine on yesterday and was pretty disappointed in the packaging, too.

Nosferatu Man
Nov 10, 2008
Received m b v yesterday. The packaging is definitely a bit flimsy but the record sounds so loving good. Been listening to the album every day since it dropped and it sounds new again.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP

Surfingelectrode posted:

I sold a Sex Pistols record for $300 and used the money to buy a Flaming Lips record for $260 that wound up being reissued a few months later.

I bought the first pressing of Stars of the Lid's The Ballasted Orchestra for 80 dollars after figuring I'd never see another copy of it online and available for a long time. and it came out remastered for 20 bucks two months later. Which I also bought.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

WASDF posted:

I just got mine today (ATL). The packaging is crap, the packing job was even worse. They just shoved it into an oversized box with no corner protection or even shrinkwrap around the sleeve. The record slid out and almost fell to the ground when I pulled it out because I really wasn't expecting such a shoddy job. I guess the CD is supposed to tuck into the gatefold interior. :psyduck:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

So I ordered a shirt, a poster and *shel's Sea of the Dying Dhow pressing from their website at the end of January/beginning of February. On February 5th, they refunded me $9.00 and after emailing them and waiting for a five days for a response, Mehdi told me that the poster had gone out of stock. This was on February 23, and I can't remember if *shels is based in the UK or in California, but should I be worried? I just emailed him to check the status of it :ohdear:.

If I remember right, I had to wait a while to get my Plains of a Purple Buffalo LP, so I reckon that they're taking orders, then having it pressed and shipped.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Tusen Takk posted:

So I ordered a shirt, a poster and *shel's Sea of the Dying Dhow pressing from their website at the end of January/beginning of February. On February 5th, they refunded me $9.00 and after emailing them and waiting for a five days for a response, Mehdi told me that the poster had gone out of stock. This was on February 23, and I can't remember if *shels is based in the UK or in California, but should I be worried? I just emailed him to check the status of it :ohdear:.

If I remember right, I had to wait a while to get my Plains of a Purple Buffalo LP, so I reckon that they're taking orders, then having it pressed and shipped.

*shelsmusic operates out of California. I wouldn't expect Mehdi to be the type to screw people over, he's always been super cool with me and all my orders arrived safely (though I don't remember the waiting times). I'm pretty sure Sea Of The Dying Dhow was pressed in the same quantity as Plains of the Purple Buffalo (300 copies), they're probably waiting for the poster to be restocked before they send it all out?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Everyone posted:

Complaints about m b v's packaging/packing.

Now I don't feel so terrible about not preordering. Is it wrong that I'm looking forward to what I imagine will be an inevitable repressing?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

david puddy posted:

*shelsmusic operates out of California. I wouldn't expect Mehdi to be the type to screw people over, he's always been super cool with me and all my orders arrived safely (though I don't remember the waiting times). I'm pretty sure Sea Of The Dying Dhow was pressed in the same quantity as Plains of the Purple Buffalo (300 copies), they're probably waiting for the poster to be restocked before they send it all out?

Nah, because they refunded me and it was limited edition :shrug:. The more I think about it the more I seem to remember it taking a while for it to process, and with how awesome Mehdi is, I'm not too worried about it. I was just making sure I wasn't the only one who's had long shipping times :v:.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Hi Rob,

We're VERY sorry that your emails have slipped through our cracks this whole time. Sincerest apologies.

Actually our records show that your order was shipped to this address back toward the end of December:

(3 days ago, no response sinse)

WAY TO GO SOUL TEMPLE

gently caress.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Oldstench posted:

I just got mine today (ATL). The packaging is crap, the packing job was even worse. They just shoved it into an oversized box with no corner protection or even shrinkwrap around the sleeve. The record slid out and almost fell to the ground when I pulled it out because I really wasn't expecting such a shoddy job. I guess the CD is supposed to tuck into the gatefold interior. :psyduck:

Horrifying. How can Kevin be so inept to so much?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

What's that, Discogs Wantlist Email?

Descendents ‎– Milo Goes To College
Label:New Alliance Records ‎– NAR-012
Media:Mint (M)
Sleeve:Mint (M)
Sealed original NAR pressing. Amazing.
$110.00 + shipping

:catstare:

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

My copy of mbv was waiting for me at home! Was terrified to open it and see that it was just fine. The packaging is pretty flimsy though, but the music sounds fine.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

All these bad service reports make me sad. To remind us all that there is good in the world, here's the email I got from kranky this morning:

krankyinfo <krankyinfo@sbcglobal.net>
07:42 (4 hours ago)

with multiple piece items we realize that customers are paying too much for postage on overseas orders, so we have refunded $25 of your payment via paypal. your package will be mailed this afternoon. thank you.

mr. kranky

This is something I ordered yesterday. I love you mr. kranky :swoon:

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
My local record store has a large selection of dollar records and I've been able to find VG+ copies of records by bands like U2, The Police and "dadrock" stuff for a low price.

Are these records so widely available that they're worthless or have I just been lucky with my pulls?

I'm actually listening to a copy of "The Sunset Tree" that I got for a dollar and it's great - no pops or skips and the vinyl looks almost new.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

The Sunset Tree like, The Mountain Goats?

For a dollar?

gently caress you.

edit: vvvvv Hahah, okay. I mean, for a buck, *any* record in good shape is a good find. I'm sure you're not getting *OMGAMAZING* prices, but if you like them and they're a couple bucks, enjoy.

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 8, 2013

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Sorry, I just realized that I meant "The Joshua Tree". I wish I got "The Sunset Tree" for a dollar.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Cloks posted:

My local record store has a large selection of dollar records and I've been able to find VG+ copies of records by bands like U2, The Police and "dadrock" stuff for a low price.

Are these records so widely available that they're worthless or have I just been lucky with my pulls?

I'm actually listening to a copy of "The Sunset Tree" that I got for a dollar and it's great - no pops or skips and the vinyl looks almost new.

"Widely available" is the understatement of the century.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

Oldstench posted:

Thank you for making me not regret ordering that album. gently caress that sucks.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

Cloks posted:

If you enjoy the music then they are good value, yes. On the other hand, even a free record with music you don't like isn't good value.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

I went out before work and bought A Dozen Dead Roses by No Trend, but unfortunately I left it in the break room so I can't get miserable before I get miserable for 8+ hours

sick on both fronts

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
Did any of you guys who ordered mbv receive any sort of shipping notice?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

cheapandugly posted:

Did any of you guys who ordered mbv receive any sort of shipping notice?
Nope. Just showed up in my mailbox on Wednesday.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

What's your 'here's why I listen to vinyl' album of choice? The one that (to you) perfectly exemplifies and shows off your system in ways you're most proud?

I think at the moment anyway mine would be Eric Clapton Unplugged. There's so much going on and so much 'breathing room' with crisp highs and tight but not boomy bass, works great.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Radiohead's In Rainbows (the 45 rpm double lp version) sounds incredible, I thought.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
My copy of the My Bloody Valentine showed up today, and though they definitely could have boxed it up in a smaller mailer, the record arrived in one piece. Minor dings to the top and bottom seams, but nothing to get histrionic about.

The artwork is different than that high-res jpg that came with the download. It's subtle, but you can't see as much clarity to the images that make up the collage.

mia2000
Feb 8, 2003

This is our song of exultant joy

iostream.h posted:

What's your 'here's why I listen to vinyl' album of choice? The one that (to you) perfectly exemplifies and shows off your system in ways you're most proud?

Seconding "In Rainbows", as well as "Consolers of the Lonely" by The Raconteurs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

iostream.h posted:

The first one that really blew my mind was A Perfect Circle's Mer De Noms. I'd been listening to that album for more than a decade, and the first time I listened to the vinyl, I heard things I've never heard before that made me appreciate it even more.

Another one that I can't get enough of, and almost can't listen to without the vinyl anymore is Close To The Edge by Yes. There's so much depth and layering of sound on that album, and it really pops on vinyl. So good, and I'm really happy to have an original pressing of it that's still in great condition.