Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Trailer for The Conjuring. Looks like a pretty creepy movie. And the trailer is nice as it focuses on one particular aspect rather than a whole synopsis on the movie.

Rolled my eyes at "Based on a True Story" though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejMMn0t58Lc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
New Iron Man 3 trailer. New footage and all that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiU_8qZLFOs

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

feedmyleg posted:

If anyone knows of any other great ones out there I'm definitely interested in seeing more of this sort of thing.

Here's a Battlestar Galactica trailer, goon-made. It covers just the miniseries which serves as a prologue to the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgSC7P16Q_c

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011
In that department there's a bunch of good Blade Runner fan trailers up on youtube, these 2 are among the best:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlwIxKDJYkI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nORpx6u-W1A

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

PaganGoatPants posted:

New Iron Man 3 trailer. New footage and all that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiU_8qZLFOs

One of the main things I've come to look forward to from new Iron Man movies is the increasingly outlandish methods Stark comes up with for getting into the Iron Man suit.

It does not appear that Iron Man 3 is going to disappoint.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

ProfessorProf posted:

One of the main things I've come to look forward to from new Iron Man movies is the increasingly outlandish methods Stark comes up with for getting into the Iron Man suit.

It does not appear that Iron Man 3 is going to disappoint.

In Avengers 2, he will just lift up a rock in the middle of the savannah where a secret fingerprint sensor verifies his identity and a new suit of armor will come flying out of a nearby trashcan. Much like in the tokusatsu series Cybercop.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Blatherin Blatherskite!

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

John Dough posted:

Here's a Battlestar Galactica trailer, goon-made. It covers just the miniseries which serves as a prologue to the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgSC7P16Q_c

I wish I could erase my brain and rewatch BSG cold. Man, what a great series.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

What is the mechanism that draws Iron Man's mask to Stark's head? At some point I'm thinking poo poo gets caught in between and the mask slams a massive shrapnel into Stark's face.

matrocious
Feb 7, 2011

der juicen posted:

I wish I could erase my brain and rewatch BSG cold. Man, what a great series.

The highs were very high and the lows followed suit.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The MSJ posted:

In Avengers 2, he will just lift up a rock in the middle of the savannah where a secret fingerprint sensor verifies his identity and a new suit of armor will come flying out of a nearby trashcan. Much like in the tokusatsu series Cybercop.

If Iron Man 3 is in any way based on Extremis, that would be a backstep.

Stark ends up carrying the armour as liquid nano-machinery in the hollows of his bones.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Joss Whedon's Much Ado About Nothing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6QV0UAifXQ

Well... alright then.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yup, looks just about as bad as it sounded.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Very few things set off my pretentiousness alarm like modern day settings for Shakespeare plays with the original language.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

kiimo posted:

Very few things set off my pretentiousness alarm like modern day settings for Shakespeare plays with the original language.

That's not really the problem with it, watching that clip.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Jesus Christ if anyone ever was born to film average television, it's Joss "eh this set-up is probably ok" Whedon. That's the sloppiest black and white I've seen outside of a student film, ever.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

kiimo posted:

Romeo + Juliet and Coriolanus were pretty good.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

penismightier posted:

Jesus Christ if anyone ever was born to film average television, it's Joss "eh this set-up is probably ok" Whedon. That's the sloppiest black and white I've seen outside of a student film, ever.

Yeah. I hate that it's become such a cliche to dismiss the "tv-ness" of Whedon's productions but his directing style is so uninteresting. It's unfair to compare it to TV almost, the average Law and Order SVU episode looks better (to be fair they're expensive as hell to make). It doesn't look as good as commercials, it's like barely as good as the typical Hallmark Channel movie.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah. I hate that it's become such a cliche to dismiss the "tv-ness" of Whedon's productions but his directing style is so uninteresting. It's unfair to compare it to TV almost, the average Law and Order SVU episode looks better (to be fair they're expensive as hell to make). It doesn't look as good as commercials, it's like barely as good as the typical Hallmark Channel movie.

Ya know you're right. This looks more like the Shakespeare movie everyone made in high school to get out of taking the test.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's like the only trick he's learned is shot-reverse shot. Not every single scene needs to be a head-on, flat close up of someone talking, or two people side by side symmetrically filling the frame. It's so unimaginative.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 8, 2013

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

penismightier posted:

Ya know you're right. This looks more like the Shakespeare movie everyone made in high school to get out of taking the test.

You nailed it completely, it looks exactly like my friend's English 10 extra credit project :stare:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

penismightier posted:

I was stunned by how bad it looked. Like... high school student film amateurish. It looks like it was just with a loving point and shoot.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I like the idea of modern-day Shakespeare, especially with that cast and shot in black and white. But holy poo poo... like, I've never seen b&w look flatter and uglier. It looks...accidental or something.

Who was Whedon's DP on Serenity? Because that movie actually looks good, aside from the final fight.

\/\/\/Well that sounds about right.

LesterGroans fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 8, 2013

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

I looked it up, the DP on Much Ado was the director of Kitchen Nightmares and camera operator on Survivor. Seems like this is his first actual film, and hopefully his last.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
If I recall, it was filmed over a weekend with an iPhone or some equally lo-fi pseudocamera.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It's probably in black in white to make it easier to clean up the rampant artifacting.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

scary ghost dog posted:

If I recall, it was filmed over a weekend with an iPhone or some equally lo-fi pseudocamera.

I find this very easy to believe.

This is what Park Chan-Wook can do with an iPhone, for the sake of comparison:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYO-suuPdlY

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I feel like saying that despite (or maybe because of) the show being extremely formulaic, Kitchen Nightmares is actually pretty well shot, and since reality shows are so aggressively edited you could probably learn all the camera setups and movement you could care to learn on Survivor. I blame Whedon.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I feel like saying that despite (or maybe because of) the show being extremely formulaic, Kitchen Nightmares is actually pretty well shot, and since reality shows are so aggressively edited you could probably learn all the camera setups and movement you could care to learn on Survivor. I blame Whedon.

Kitchen Nightmares is definitely better shot than other shows. They have pretty decent B-Roll shots. However they also typically have good color grading that maybe offsets the "Reality show footage" of it. It typically gives it more of a cinematic feel. This, of course, can't benefit from that unfortunately.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I just saw a really skeevy commercial for Tommy Lee Jones' new movie, Emperor. Instead of actually advertising the movie they just talked about how this was TLJ's first movie since Lincoln.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Part 3....of the Hangover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyMWczuA2LM

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

New trailer for The Journey of Kitai Raige, Son of Legendary General Cypher Raige (or After Earth).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUcNyzu4IdM

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

No mention of who's directing it???? :allears:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Was it ever explained why humanity had abandoned Earth for several miillenia, and why seemingly every species on the planet transformed into demon monster killing machines since they've been gone?

Danger Dog
Sep 19, 2011

by Hand Knit

Gonz posted:

Great use of the Deus Ex: Human Revolution soundtrack.

This will always be my favorite fan made trailer, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp2gGqgn3Fw

Speaking of the Deus Ex: Human Revolution soundtrack, a second full trailer for After Earth is out.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

LesterGroans posted:

I like the idea of modern-day Shakespeare, especially with that cast and shot in black and white. But holy poo poo... like, I've never seen b&w look flatter and uglier. It looks...accidental or something.

Who was Whedon's DP on Serenity? Because that movie actually looks good, aside from the final fight.

Jack Green. He also shot Unforgiven, The Bridges of Madison County, and some of the better looking comedies from the last decade. Serenity's blocking is still Whedon's typical mix of bland shot, reverse-shot and overly gimmicky VFX enabled long-takes, but Jack Green exposes and lights it very nicely. David Boyd did some very nice work with the TV series to, given the production's limitations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Gonz posted:

Was it ever explained why humanity had abandoned Earth for several miillenia, and why seemingly every species on the planet transformed into demon monster killing machines since they've been gone?

It probably will be explained during the movie!!

Edit: Forgot it was an M. Night movie. The first thing will probably be explained during the movie

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BonoMan posted:

Kitchen Nightmares is definitely better shot than other shows. They have pretty decent B-Roll shots. However they also typically have good color grading that maybe offsets the "Reality show footage" of it. It typically gives it more of a cinematic feel. This, of course, can't benefit from that unfortunately.

I'd definitely agree, except Kitchen Nightmares U.K. looked way better and was a much less rigid and formulaic show. But yeah, I would think shooting commercials, music videos or reality shows is like a crash course in how to film something.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Alehkhs posted:

Joss Whedon's Much Ado About Nothing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6QV0UAifXQ

Well... alright then.

Having seen a professional production of Much Ado About Nothing just this year I feel the masters of this film should be burned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

LesterGroans posted:

Who was Whedon's DP on Serenity?

He got the dude that did Unforgiven.

• Locked thread