Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rscott
Dec 10, 2009

meatpimp posted:

And if he had the crank taken down .020", it would rev to 9000rpm... once. But aren't those numbers too tight for normal production manufacturing? Keeping a .020mm seems awfully tough, or maybe I am not up on current manufacturing tolerances.

Lathes can be ridiculously accurate especially with something with the diameter of a crankshaft. We machine rings for thrust reversers for the G650 that have an ID of 51.2" nominal and we only get +/- .010".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
10 thou?
That's a football field!
We sometimes have to hold .0002"

I heard plastigage is no replacement for mics.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

mafoose posted:

10 thou?
That's a football field!
We sometimes have to hold .0002"
Read the nominal diameter he's working to again.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Pretty sure King and ACL race both have +.50mm bearings.

http://www.aclperformance.com.au/MazdaBEngineBearings.htm

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Brigdh posted:

You forgot the seat and seatbelt hardware :)

Aka 17mm :getin:

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

jamal posted:

Pretty sure King and ACL race both have +.50mm bearings.

http://www.aclperformance.com.au/MazdaBEngineBearings.htm

Those are for a BP engine, not a F20/22 though. It looks like the F engines are only "STD, 025, .25" as far as sizing goes on that ACL site.

Specifically, http://www.aclperformance.com.au/HondaF20-F22CBearings.htm that's what I was looking at.

EDIT - And it looks like king only offers bearings for the F23 from the accords. On those however they offer a wide range.

http://www.king-bearings.com/cat/PanelView.aspx?mfamily=609

(I'm not guaranteeing that's an exhaustive search as it looks like King doesn't have the best layout)

Baller Witness Bro fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jan 24, 2013

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Oh sorry, I should have probably read this a little more thoroughly.

Are these right?

http://www.king-bearings.com/cat/EnginesView.aspx?engine=F22

My King distributor lists them in sizes up to 1.5 over. I can't figure out if they have them in the HP and XP series in that size though.

jamal fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jan 24, 2013

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

jamal posted:

Oh sorry, I should have probably read this a little more thoroughly.

Are these right?

http://www.king-bearings.com/cat/EnginesView.aspx?engine=F22

My King distributor lists them in sizes up to 1.5 over. I can't figure out if they have them in the HP and XP series in that size though.

OP needs to call and talk to a person, the web is great but no substitute.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
I went with some King bearings I found on eBay. We'll see how they work.

No updates because I went to Sno*Drift and re-evaluated my life.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Good luck with the rebuild dude, but I gotta say there's no way I'd buy an S2000 with a DIY rebuild. You should just keep it and drive the drat thing, all those old cars you're looking at are going to drive like utter poo poo in comparison.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

revmoo posted:

Aka 17mm :getin:

7/16" 20tpi is the thread size/pitch, it might have a 17mm head, but its entirely possible that 17mm is really a 11/16" head. My seatbelt hardware is ususally 14mm heads, but my Australian built Mercury Capri has 15mm heads on its 7/16-20 bolts, and I've had real 17.00mm heads on seatbelt hardware too. Airplanes had seatbelts far before cars, and that is where that standard came from!

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

leica posted:

Good luck with the rebuild dude, but I gotta say there's no way I'd buy an S2000 with a DIY rebuild. You should just keep it and drive the drat thing, all those old cars you're looking at are going to drive like utter poo poo in comparison.

I actually agree with this, even though you are doing a great job and with all this documentation i don't think you will have a problem selling it to someone who wants it, but you should keep it. Your putting a lot of work into this.

AcidRonin fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 29, 2013

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

All I want to do is work on this dumb car but life is decidedly throwing a wrench in that plan.

EDIT: I should probably put something about cars in here. I threw the valves in about a week ago and they came out great. Waiting for one dumb little valve retainer half to come in to finish that up.

The bearings should be at the house. This weekend I'll probably start drinking heavily and working on it.

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 2, 2013

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Bearings arrived on 1/25 and I've been waiting for them at the wrong address. Picking them up today hopefully, though I'm working a lot of overtime so updates realistically won't be until Monday.

It's these guys or a new crank. :clint:

whiskas
May 30, 2005
So what's the news on those bearings?

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

whiskas posted:

So what's the news on those bearings?

If it were good news I think he would have ran here to tell us all! Now I fear he's curled up in the fetal position crying

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Or he's driven it off a cliff and is in jail for insurance fraud.

Edit: WITH the bad bearings installed.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

^^^ That was where I was going to take it if the engine weren't salvageable. I feel that it would've been a much more interesting failure if we had gone that route.

Bearings went on great. They were King bearings and the plastigauge came out uniform and on the tighter end of the specification. Finding a gap range between 0.0012 and 0.0021 inches in the factory service manual gave me some ease. I'll post the pictures once I wake up some.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

New valve retainer cotter thing and knock sensor should be here today. Gonna put a solid afternoon's work on the engine then finally have a mega-update full of pretty pictures for everyone.

Work's going well, mainly due to the fact that I'm either transferring to something more technical or leaving for a different job.

Engineering majors: Don't go into Project Engineering. Do something technical.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Adiabatic posted:

Finding a gap range between 0.0012 and 0.0021 inches in the factory service manual gave me some ease.

Inches? Again?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

meltie posted:

Inches? Again?
The .0012" to .0021" he quotes does sound about right, though.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Even F1 engines aren't machined down to less than a micron, if that's not inches or he's not misplaced a 0 I'd be amazed.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

The clearance range in the service manual was in millimeters, with inches in parentheses. I'm not sure why I keep going back to inches. Possibly something to do with the plastigauge being set up for inches. The millimeters have some false precision and/or rounding error.

Edit: Here's the page:

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 24, 2013

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Okay I've jerked y'all around enough without any steamy payoff. Time for pictures!

I rebuilt the head, but the photos were lost when I switched phones. It was pretty uneventful. This is the culmination of that:

Here’s a shot of the state of the lower end, where I left off:

New bearing half still on the rod after plastigauging:

A shot of the rod, the bearing half, and the journal:

Rod cap with bearing half and assembly lube. It’s like oil but sticky, and will stay on the bearing through the oil priming process:

Second bearing going on:

Two rods connected:

All four connected and crank spun 90°:

Spun it again to make sure everything’s free and loose:

Engine turned right-side up, checking the piston movement:

Back upside down, bolted the baffle back on:

Chaining the oil pump back onto the nose of the crank:

Tensioner and guide back on the oil pump chain:

Cam chain and cam guide/tensioner back on:

Timing cover back on overtop the cam chain:

Shiny clean oil pan:

Oil pan on:

Another view, with the timing cover and the oil pan:

Engine turned right-side up again:

$130 in parts: (the missing valve cotter and a new knock sensor)

Head gasket:

Head on the block:

Another view:

All 10 head bolts in. They required 22 ft-lbs torque then 3 (THREE!) 90° turns:

Cam chain idler gear on. Timing is a breeze on this engine:

Working on it some more this afternoon.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Or not. Moved a bed and drove a Rav4. Wednesday maybe?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Holy hell it looks like an engine again.

Rocker arm VTEC assembly thing back on. This was a pain to put down all at once, and required lots of small victories and cussing. Shout-out to the cams and the bad rod in the background:

After slathering the entire thing with assembly lube, I bolted the cams back on and satiated its oil-lust with 10W-30:

After some valve adjustment, I finally got to put the pretty red valve cover back on after a couple months of it looking sad on the cardboard “workstation”:

Another view. Well looky here, no more touching engine internals!

Oh wait, I forgot the tensioner. What a pain that was. It required a set screw and the threaded hole to the right of this picture was its mode of egress:

Worth noting that I didn’t put those two bolts on the tensioner the first time around, and when I pulled the set screw it ejected the assembly stage left at an alarming speed.

Here’s a close-up of the inside of that hole, as well as my “set screw”:

Bonus picture: my crank handle used to turn the engine on the civic. I was doing a valve adjustment on it:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

So I was looking through craigslist for an E30 to replace this ridiculously boring Civic and....

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/3621767213.html

I had a 90% swapped M30 E30 before and this sounds like the same amount of basket-case, but I think I need it.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Adiabatic posted:

So I was looking through craigslist for an E30 to replace this ridiculously boring Civic and....

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/3621767213.html

I had a 90% swapped M30 E30 before and this sounds like the same amount of basket-case, but I think I need it.

One of us! One of us!

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Cool swap, but christ what awful everything else. That's a 75% done swap at best, its not street legal since important things like headlights don't work, and it can't be driven since it doesn't even have a fan?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

DJ Commie posted:

Cool swap, but christ what awful everything else. That's a 75% done swap at best, its not street legal since important things like headlights don't work, and it can't be driven since it doesn't even have a fan?

My old E30 had an M30 from a 5-series "swapped" into it when I bought it. Major things of note when I got it:

It should have overheated because the coolant was never bled of air.
It should have overheated because the thermostat was in backwards.
It should have overheated because the head bolts were finger-tight.
It didn't overheat because it was running pig rich, despite having no less than 4 post-TB vacuum line bungs open on the intake manifold.

Also the heater core lines were backwards, somehow denying the cabin of any heat.

The radio, rear door locks, odometer, speedometer, tachometer, horn, rear left window, and parking/brake lights were inoperable. I don't know how but it had working power mirrors... There were no seat belts up front and the guy sold it to me with a steering wheel you could wobble against the column about 4 inches in either direction and a bungie cord attached to the passenger handle held the shifter from falling onto the driveshaft because the dude couldn't figure out how to attach the plate to the chassis.

Best car I've ever had. I need that more in my life. Screw pretty little roadsters.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

Moxie Omen posted:

One of us! One of us!

My favorite bit is the Toyota branded steering wheel.

:stare:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Great now I want to buy an E30 and swap things into it.

Automotive ADHD.

skylineboy08
Nov 12, 2010
This is an excellent rebuild thread, nice job Adiabatic. I've always wanted to see a detailed rebuild of an F20C. I have a question though. Why would you go from an s2000 to an E30? Is it just something you want to do or do you have a specific plan in mind for an E30 BMW that you can't accomplish with an s2000?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Thanks skyline!

It's a bunch of things...

I bought the S2000 with autocross and track days and all that in mind. I found out I don't like racing cars nearly as much as I like building and repairing them. The S2000 never breaks down (unless you don't check the oil, obviously).

Beater cars and non-pristine cars are a lot less stress than something you have to constantly check for dings and park way out in the middle of nowhere. The monetary value and the value I put on a car are way different. I like AI because they seem to have this same mentality.

I also can never decide what I want, and so I'm going to rent a garage/lot and buy some cheap stuff, see what I like, sell the rest off. Maybe make some extra cash if I get lucky. Thoughts currently keep cycling through a swapped E30, a Triumph GT6/Spitfire or something small and horribly british, a motorcycle I can learn on like a Honda Nighthwk, and a deuce-and-a-half.

It's more the journey than the result, currently.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Deuce and a half clearly.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Deuce and a half to recover the gt6, a match made of necessity.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
If you do that, you're going to need a 5 ton, say an M816 wrecker, to recover the deuce and a half.

I'm not sure what you'll need to recover the wrecker, but it might involve a sizable wallet.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Luckily, all four are cheap enough that I don't have to whittle the list down much.

Something about obnoxious parallel parking and whistler turbos makes me think the deuce will become a reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Make the 5-tonner a mobile workshop, repair rather than recover.

• Locked thread