Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

knittinghelp.com is where I start when I need a refresher, and the videos cover both left and right-hand knitters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunimeow
Oct 6, 2012

Shaken, not purred.
Thank you very much! ravely and knittinghelp both look like really great sites, I've just watched a couple beginner videos on youtube and tried to decipher the hieroglyphs in the knitting book I have. I have been reading through the entire thread and I am very excited to start knitting new things!

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Lunimeow posted:

I really love knitting, I want to start making animals and monsters and stuff but I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out how to do stuff on my own. I want to take classes but I don't have the money or transportation. Are there some online resources anyone knows about that might help me out?

Ravelry.com for patterns. Knittinghelp.com has great videos for how-to on specific stitches, cast-ons, increases, decreases. Whenever I need to look at how something is done, I check there first and only hit up Youtube if I can't find what I'm looking for, because I know with Knittinghelp.com, I'm goint to get a well lit, clear video without a moving camera, hands in the way, and 10 minutes of yammering away before they actually get to the thing I want to see. They've also got a nice glossary for figuring out how to read a pattern, for all those "This pattern says sk2p...what the hell does that mean?" moments.

Are you only using a loom or are you also hand knitting with needles? And have you considered crochet at all for your monsters and animals?

Lunimeow
Oct 6, 2012

Shaken, not purred.
I started out with needles, I think I have the basics down but I tend to slip up a lot. I made a ribbed scarf with needles and I'm working on a frill scarf on needles now too. I have done about 5 tube scarfs with a loom I really like making them. I haven't done to much with needles because I only know how to knit and purl and bind off, I'm not sure the way I learned how to cast on is right and I seem to be having issues with sides curling and being uneven. That being said I haven't used needles anywhere near as much as the loom and it kind of feels like cheating.

I want to learn how to crochet as well, I have heard that it's more easy to learn that knitting(and a lot more forgiving). I do have some hooks but I'm having trouble making my loops consistent in size.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Lunimeow posted:

I haven't done to much with needles because I only know how to knit and purl and bind off, I'm not sure the way I learned how to cast on is right and I seem to be having issues with sides curling and being uneven. That being said I haven't used needles anywhere near as much as the loom and it kind of feels like cheating.

There's something like 80 ways to cast on. You're probably doing at least one of them correctly. :)
As for curling, that's a function of the kind of fabric you're making. If you're doing 1 row of knit and then 1 row of purl, repeat over and over, then you're doing what is called stockingette stitch - it curls like a motherfucker. Garter stitch (knitting every row) doesn't curl. So to prevent curling, the best plan is to do a border around the edge of garter or some other non-curling stitch. You'd do like 4 rows of garter before starting stockingette (and the same number of rows in garter at the end before binding off), and you'd also always do the first and last 3 or 4 stitches of each row in garter - that would prevent your edges from curling.

Lunimeow
Oct 6, 2012

Shaken, not purred.
My first scarf was 21 stitches I think and I alternated knit 3 purl 3 across then on the next row I did purl 3 knit three, so do prevent the curling I would have started always had the two sides knit 3? I think I did two rows of knit only on each side but I cant really remember.

I remember I tried to do something I looked up to make it flat where you wet the fabric and then pin it flat and let it dry like that? It didin't really do anything except to the edges.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Lunimeow posted:

My first scarf was 21 stitches I think and I alternated knit 3 purl 3 across then on the next row I did purl 3 knit three, so do prevent the curling I would have started always had the two sides knit 3? I think I did two rows of knit only on each side but I cant really remember.

I remember I tried to do something I looked up to make it flat where you wet the fabric and then pin it flat and let it dry like that? It didin't really do anything except to the edges.

Anytime you have all knit stitches on one side and all purl stitches on one side it will curl. Even ribbing actually curls, it just curls in both directions at once so it cancels out. But like, if you have three knit stitches on the edge that edge itself will have a tiny bit of curl to it.

Wetting it and pinning it out is called blocking, and it usually does wonders for evening things out. But, blocking doesn't work on every fiber - if you were using acrylic yarn, or even a blend with a lot of acrylic in it, it won't be as noticeable change. Natural fibers like wool, alpaca, etc. have "memory" so when you get them wet and force them into a shape while they dry they stay that way. It's like curling your hair. Acrylic doesn't react the same way.

Lunimeow
Oct 6, 2012

Shaken, not purred.

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Anytime you have all knit stitches on one side and all purl stitches on one side it will curl. Even ribbing actually curls, it just curls in both directions at once so it cancels out. But like, if you have three knit stitches on the edge that edge itself will have a tiny bit of curl to it.

Wetting it and pinning it out is called blocking, and it usually does wonders for evening things out. But, blocking doesn't work on every fiber - if you were using acrylic yarn, or even a blend with a lot of acrylic in it, it won't be as noticeable change. Natural fibers like wool, alpaca, etc. have "memory" so when you get them wet and force them into a shape while they dry they stay that way. It's like curling your hair. Acrylic doesn't react the same way.
Great to know! The book I was using neglected to mention any of that. It was definitely acrylic so that must have been why I didin't notice much.

The frill scarf I'm working on now is looking really neat, but it's proving to be annoying to work with, does anyone know if there is some kind of secret to using frill/net specialty yarn?

I end up doing one or two rows and then spending 4 times as long unwinding the next section of yarn :(

E: I just finished the scarf! Both sides look totally different!

Lunimeow fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 6, 2013

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

I'm working on a bag and I'm having an issue. I understand all of the instructions, but somehow the math doesn't seem to be working.

The patterns starts with 175 stitches. Later, I bind off 20 of those stitches leaving me with 155. I am then supposed to increase. "(K4, KFB) to end".

I am taking this to mean that on the fifth stitch I knit the front and the back for an increase of one. When I'm done with this row I am supposed to have 198 stitches. But when I do the math, it only comes out to 186.

What am I doing wrong here? Of 155 there are 31 groups of 5 and on that fifth one I will increase a stitch. So I will increase 31 stitches, yes? Making 186. But I need to increase 43 stitches overall. I feel dumb. Help!

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Judging from the Ravelry comments it is a mistake.

e: Oh hey, new Knitty. Quite boring this time round.

Sodium Chloride fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Mar 7, 2013

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Ah, thanks. I had looked at the comments from the comments tab but not the comments that past project people had said. I will know to look there in the future.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
So I made a Pretty Thing and it turned out pretty, but the yarn I picked is way scratchier knit up then it was in the ball. Damnit. Now I want another project but I have no idea what to make and it can't take any concentration whatsoever. Any ideas from anyone?

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Oh hey new Knitty. Let's see what they have.. loading, loading, page not found, loading... Shawl, shawl, shawl, sock, sock, sock, ugly sock, vest, vest, vest, whimsical doodad. Yup, about what I expected.

Actually, I do like the Foliolum scarfshawl, and I have some yarn that would work for it. I'm certainly not going to use it for anything else because I don't work with skinny yarns often. I've already finished the bottom edge; maybe I'll finish the rest by the end of the year.

Edit: Already found a mistake when I got to the first row of the lace pattern. The notes say "To make the scarf wider, simply cast on additional stitches in a multiple of eight." So I did. Unfortunately, there's a decrease row right before you get to the lace section, and it doesn't work unless you cast on the amount of stitches originally called for. I ended up two stitches short once I got to the lace section. t:mad:

Bees on Wheat fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Mar 7, 2013

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

you shouldnt doubt yourself
you know more about goats than you give yourself credit for
Well thanks a lot, ladies. Now that I have my first metal circulars, that's all I want. Now I'm going to have to start selling my panties online for the money to replace my bamboo needles.

I hope you're all happy.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.

Waddley Hasselhoff posted:

Well thanks a lot, ladies. Now that I have my first metal circulars, that's all I want. Now I'm going to have to start selling my panties online for the money to replace my bamboo needles.

I hope you're all happy.

Welcome to the right side. Metal needles rock.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Amykinz posted:

So I made a Pretty Thing and it turned out pretty, but the yarn I picked is way scratchier knit up then it was in the ball. Damnit. Now I want another project but I have no idea what to make and it can't take any concentration whatsoever. Any ideas from anyone?

Know anyone with a baby? Have a baby yourself? Use some thin wool yarn on thicker needles than the yarn calls for (i used lace weight on 5mm needles) and knit a big blanket. Just plain garter. It's the world's boringest knit, but blankets like that are the BEST. Lightweight yet warm and fluffy :3

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
I have a tornoddler, which is why it took me three months to complete a Pretty Thing. :saddowns:

I'm thinking a hat to use up some handspun I made years ago.

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004
The newest Knitty is boring as poo poo.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
I finally finished my blanket:

I'm really worried the yarn is going to start to worm as soon as a babby gets a hold of it. I really wish I'd used smaller needles, but no way am I doing it over again. Hopefully blocking it helped?

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

jesspater posted:

So I know this is the knitting forum, and I am showing a picture of crochet, but I need some expert advise on the colorblocking of my latest project. I am not sure if I like the green-light blue transition. I want this to be completely multi-striped, so any color suggestions I would greatly appreciate! Oh, and I am using http://www.lionbrand.com/yarns/vannaschoice.html

Thanks again!!

Those colors work reasonably well. I'd go for a more orangey red, personally.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
Agreed, or I'd drop the red, maybe replace it with a autumn-y yellow

TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

Amykinz posted:

I have a tornoddler, which is why it took me three months to complete a Pretty Thing. :saddowns:

And I have a new word - thanks, Amy!

New Knitty - I don't mind the Shore Thing too much but I'm wondering if it wouldn't be nicer in a lighter weight yarn with a complementing ribbon for the neckline tie instead of i-cord.

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

Is this turnout weak or what? I had at least 70 more people at my funeral.
I like the etherial (is that supposed to be a whimsical spelling of ethereal?) shell..if altered to be longer. I'm an arm hider, but I think it would be cute under something. Who am I kidding, friends are going to continue being sperminated and I'm going to be knitting baby blankets until menopause.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

HeatherChandler posted:

I like the etherial (is that supposed to be a whimsical spelling of ethereal?) shell..if altered to be longer. I'm an arm hider, but I think it would be cute under something. Who am I kidding, friends are going to continue being sperminated and I'm going to be knitting baby blankets until menopause.

I kind of like it, but I think the lace sections either need to be much narrower, or it needs to be an all-over design. To me, the big chunk of stockinette in the middle looks weird, and you have to wear something under it anyway, so you might as well make the entire thing lace.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
I've just started the body of a sweater. It's knit in the round, but I don't really understand what I'm supposed to do when it says WS in the pattern. Do I turn the whole thing inside out?

I'm at the beginning of the third paragraph.

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 12, 2013

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Admiral Goodenough posted:

I've just started the body of a sweater. It's knit in the round, but I don't really understand what I'm supposed to do when it says WS in the pattern. Do I turn the whole thing inside out?

I'm at teh beginning of the third paragraph.

That doesn't read to me as if it's in the round. It reads like a flat-knit piece, knitted back and forth on circular needles so you can fit all the stitches on.

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy

Fionnoula posted:

That doesn't read to me as if it's in the round. It reads like a flat-knit piece, knitted back and forth on circular needles so you can fit all the stitches on.

That's what I thought as well.

I've got a sock question. I'm knitting some 100% merino socks that I would like to be able to wear hiking. Obviously, I need to reinforce the toes and heels since I'll be putting a lot of wear and tear on them. I was planning on doing the *sl1, k1* technique for the heel flap portion because I'd also like them to have the extra padding on the heels that would provide. My pattern doesn't call for this, but I was just going to do a kfb row at the beginning of the heel flap and then a k2tog row at the end so my stitches end up correct.

Now, what to do about the toe / bottom of the foot portion? Get some reinforcing thread and use that? I wouldn't mind having a little extra padding on the ball of my foot when I'm hiking, but I don't really know if the sl1, k1 thing would work for that?

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Fionnoula posted:

Urgh, you're probably right, I should have read this more thoroughly before starting. :( Would that make the final product a flat piece that you only sew up on one side?

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Urgh, you're probably right, I should have read this more thoroughly before starting. :( Would that make the final product a flat piece that you only sew up on one side?

What's the pattern name? Is it on Ravelry? In a book/magazine? There should be making up instructions at the end that tell you how to do the finishing. I'd assume also that as you get further and work your shaping, it will become clear how it will be seamed. But yeah, with no information other than what's given above, I'd assume you are working flat, then seaming it later.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

It's Beatnik on Knitty, but with this modification from Ravelry. I probably just automatically assumed circular needles = knitting in the round. In the instructions for doing the seams it says "sew side seams", which confused me since there should only be one side seam, right? I would really like to not have to sew the ribbed bottom together, so I'll just leave that already joined and continue the rest of the body in back-and-forth and sew it up when it's finished.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

It's Beatnik on Knitty, but with this modification from Ravelry. I probably just automatically assumed circular needles = knitting in the round. In the instructions for doing the seams it says "sew side seams", which confused me since there should only be one side seam, right? I would really like to not have to sew the ribbed bottom together, so I'll just leave that already joined and continue the rest of the body in back-and-forth and sew it up when it's finished.

Ok, based on the modifications, I'd say it actually IS knit in the round, just not terribly well converted. That particular line - you're knitting on the RS because it's round. Looking at the original pattern, she seems to have copied that row directly over without converting from WS to RS. If it was me, I'd be reversing the knits and purls. The rest of it all just calls for moss stitch or working in pattern, so it shouldn't be an issue again.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The modification is knit in the round, but there are no details so I wouldn't do it if you're not experienced. You can see the original pattern includes a separate back and front, so you would be doing two side seams plus the sleeves.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

This turned out far more complicated than I initially thought. Thanks for the help anyway :)

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
Is there any easy way to double up yarn from a single ball? I'm using variegated yarn so I can't use two and I'd like to reinforce the toe/heel by doubling up.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
If its wound in a center pull ball you can just take the other end from the center or the outside (whichever one you aren't using already).

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

If its wound in a center pull ball you can just take the other end from the center or the outside (whichever one you aren't using already).

This works, but it tangles like a motherfucker unless you untwist it every now and again.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Phishi posted:

This works, but it tangles like a motherfucker unless you untwist it every now and again.

Yeah, but if it's just for the heel and toe, it wouldn't be too big of a problem.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I often knit two socks at once on one needle pulling from both the inside and outside of a single center pull ball. It CAN get tangled occasionally, but only if you hold it wrong. The trick is to hold he ball of yarn with the outside feeding off in the opposite direction from the inside. Usually I clamp the ball between my knees with the inside strand coming from the bottom. Then all you have to manage is the twist from flipping the knitting over.

It's probably even easier if you're knitting both strands together.

ackapoo
Nov 15, 2007

fun leads to abortions!
I'm starting my first garment (well, soon I hope) and I'm so nervous. I thought my pattern booklet would have arrived from Jimmy Beans Wool by now, but the tracking number is still stuck at "your package just left Reno on 3/9." Here's to hoping it comes soon.

I've never knit a sweater/top/tee/ whatever and I have no idea what to expect. Do any of you have any pointers? I don't want to mess this up :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Check gauge! And even wash the gauge swatch however you plan to wash the garment to make sure it doesn't stretch 40% when it gets wet or something. And don't worry too much, it's just like knitting anything else except a bit bigger and maybe with some seaming (depending on the pattern). You can do it!