Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

flashy_mcflash posted:

It's an exercise video. What do you want from it exactly? If you're focusing on the production value it probably means you're not working out properly or at all.

I bought it expecting him to hit the Diamond Cutter on someone but it never happened. It was like the fireworks factory on that Poochie episode. What a letdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Web Jew.0 posted:

I bought it expecting him to hit the Diamond Cutter on someone but it never happened. It was like the fireworks factory on that Poochie episode. What a letdown.

The least he could do is use the bloated corpse of Bam Bam Bigelow as the token fat guy who can't do any of the moves.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
Is there somewhere I can ask a question about high school wrestling (wrasslin'?) camps? My GIRLFRIEND and I want to send her sophomore son to a wrestling camp in the Northeast this Summer and we are trying to decide between Lockhaven U. and Ohio State.
vvvvvvv

Skinty McEdger posted:

Try the grappling thread. The folk who post in that are pretty knowledgeable about wrestling. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3386441
Thanking you.

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 7, 2013

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Very Strange Things posted:

Is there somewhere I can ask a question about high school wrestling (wrasslin'?) camps? My GIRLFRIEND and I want to send her sophomore son to a wrestling camp in the Northeast this Summer and we are trying to decide between Lockhaven U. and Ohio State.

Try the grappling thread. The folk who post in that are pretty knowledgeable about wrestling. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3386441

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

flashy_mcflash posted:

It's an exercise video. What do you want from it exactly? If you're focusing on the production value it probably means you're not working out properly or at all.

If you buy the Premium Edition, about halfway through DDP grabs a mic and cuts a 7 minute promo on your fat rear end who could never wrestle. I've never felt lighter!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Thauros posted:

Can anyone think of any examples of prominent wrestlers retiring under the age of 40 for reasons other than serious health issues?
Well, I believe Ricky Steamboat was right at 40 and out of action with an injury when Eric Bischoff fired him, whereupon he just stayed retired until he got involved with TNA.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

It's not uncommon in joshi from what I understand. Bull Nakano retired at the ripe old age of 29.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

The Duck of Death posted:

It's not uncommon in joshi from what I understand. Bull Nakano retired at the ripe old age of 29.

Yeah, women's wrestling and especially joshi seems to be the exception. I know AJWP had a mandatory retirement age(30?).

Steamboat's one of the closer examples, and even he was over 40 and fired. I'm honestly surprised there hasn't been least a few people pointed out that I had overlooked.

Punk just might prove himself to be an exception, as he has been smart with his money and seems to value his health. But I think the point I made is valid that wrestling simply isn't a business that people usually willingly retire young from, and that it's a hell of a lot easier to say you plan on retiring than actually carrying it out.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
At least if Punk continues, it'll be because he wants to and not because he's broke.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Thauros posted:

Yeah, women's wrestling and especially joshi seems to be the exception. I know AJWP had a mandatory retirement age(30?).

It was 25, I think, up until the early nineties. Probably not a coincidence that it got lifted shortly after the Crush Gals had to retire.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
Has Bob Backlund ever been in a WWF/WWE game?

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
I am a relatively new wrestling fan that has a tendency to over-think the characters (Who is the Undertaker/Kane's mom? Is Ted Dibiase from old money, or is he a self-made man?). I'm getting better about it, but there's one example I just can't let go of: The Shield. Are they...like...wrestlers? Do they think they work for Vince? Or are they some kind of crazy Deadhead-esque group that follows the WWE from town to town? In the fiction, just what the heck ARE they exactly?

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I am a relatively new wrestling fan that has a tendency to over-think the characters (Who is the Undertaker/Kane's mom? Is Ted Dibiase from old money, or is he a self-made man?). I'm getting better about it, but there's one example I just can't let go of: The Shield. Are they...like...wrestlers? Do they think they work for Vince? Or are they some kind of crazy Deadhead-esque group that follows the WWE from town to town? In the fiction, just what the heck ARE they exactly?

Character backgrounds and storyline continuity? You are new to wrestling!

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Matlock posted:

Has Bob Backlund ever been in a WWF/WWE game?

I don't think so. He was in the Legends of Wrestling games though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npCovPucGyM

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Paulocaust posted:

Character backgrounds and storyline continuity? You are new to wrestling!

If the answer is "shut up and enjoy" that's fine. I'm just surprised that we get the most involved information imaginable on some topics, and other things like "why are these guys here/so cheesed" gets completely glossed over.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They did say on-air that they were NXT superstars, so...I guess they work for Vince in kayfabe? (And shoot, obviously.)

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

In storyline, they're NXT (developmental) wrestlers who are pissed off because they haven't gotten fair shakes because they think they're better than everyone else and haven't gotten their opportunity. Also, apparently you can hire them like mercenaries.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Bard Maddox posted:

In storyline, they're NXT (developmental) wrestlers who are pissed off because they haven't gotten fair shakes because they think they're better than everyone else and haven't gotten their opportunity. Also, apparently you can hire them like mercenaries.

Oh, see, that's a cool idea. Now I hate them slightly less. This is the kind of stuff I think they should mention more often. I've been watching 2 months and had no idea.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

A gathering of young neer-do-wells seeking to assert dominance and disestablish the social order, and they will do it for money. Storyline wise, they don't think they work for Vince at all. They work for JUSTICE, and also again, money if they thing it will upset enough people. The key element is that they enter and exit through the crowd but they will accept an opportunity to participate in legitimate matches just to demonstrate superiority. I hope this adds to the confusion.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Oh, see, that's a cool idea. Now I hate them slightly less. This is the kind of stuff I think they should mention more often. I've been watching 2 months and had no idea.

In fairness, they made sure to mention that they were actual employees and wrestlers back when they debuted, but they've deemphasized that as they've just became members of the roster. They're not just "guys who want to take over," like Aces and Eights or whatever.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

Perry Normal posted:

I don't think so. He was in the Legends of Wrestling games though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npCovPucGyM

Ugh...those games were some special kind of terrible.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

The Shield are in-storyline employed WWE developmental talent that somehow haven't been fired for, amongst other things, crashing shows, injuring other wrestlers, and ruining main events. it doesn't make much sense when you really think about it, but yeah, it's wrestling. you're not really supposed to think about it much.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
How many times has a stable held "all the gold" in any major promotion?

Or if not ALL the gold, at least every member holding a title?

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit

sticklefifer posted:

The last time it happend was with Evolution. I think the Horseman did at one point also.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

blood warriors had all the titles in dragon gate after final show in 2011

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Bard Maddox posted:

So they're what, like Nexus part 3 plus the A-Team? :confused:

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
They're basically Nexus done right.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Karmine posted:

They're basically Nexus done right.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. WWE clearly have no long-term idea of what to do with them.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

As long as it has them winning every match they'll probably stay over.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

sticklefifer posted:

I was going to say Kurt Angle in TNA, but he's not stable.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

VogeGandire posted:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. WWE clearly have no long-term idea of what to do with them.

Yes but they've been around for about four months and have been booked super strong the entire time. They've beaten the gently caress out of everyone, they've won all their matches, and they're presented as a legitimate threat to the stability of WWE. Meanwhile, Nexus got jobbed out and beaten up just about every week. Just because we don't know how it's going to end up doesn't mean that it hasn't been really loving good so far, and even if it ends with them losing at WrestleMania and splintering off into singles careers, I'd still call that a drat successful stable.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Cardboard Box posted:

The Shield are in-storyline employed WWE developmental talent that somehow haven't been fired for, amongst other things, crashing shows, injuring other wrestlers, and ruining main events. it doesn't make much sense when you really think about it, but yeah, it's wrestling. you're not really supposed to think about it much.
I like how Jericho, and only Jericho, talked about how the Shield needs to be stopped from "taking over" as if they were some invading outside force. It's like he hadn't been properly briefed on the angle or something.

I think Shield will actually win at 'Mania, since Ryback and Cena have both moved on to different feuds. If they are gonna get there comeuppance, it should be at the hand of someone they've been messing with for a really long time. I mean I guess they've attacked Orton for a while, but that was never the main story.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
The Shield is awesome to have at house shows. You're there, watching some JTG vs Justin Gabriel match wrap up, when all of a sudden Shield's music hits and everyone looks around for them. They stalk down to the ring, lay out the jobbers and cut a promo setting up the main event.

Just the feeling of them coming from all over the arena through the crowd at any time, it gives the show a cool "anything can happen" feeling.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

That sounds so fun. I kinda wish I didn't cheap out and skip the house show last weekend now.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Arbite posted:

As long as it has them winning every match they'll probably stay over.

Wait, are you saying that winning matches actually helps you get over? SOMEONE ALERT TRIPLE H!

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

My favorite part of the Shield's entire run has come out of THAT SACRED TABERNACLE, THE HOOOOOOLY RING TRUCK (RIP Paul Bearer)!!! Basically back before they did the lights off runins, when the Shield's theme would start, the spotlights and cameras would frantically pan around the crowd as if to say "We have to find these guys now before they kill somebody." it was great.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

projecthalaxy posted:

THAT SACRED TABERNACLE, THE HOOOOOOLY RING TRUCK!!!

That beaver-toothed bastard is going to be haunted for the rest of his days, isn't he?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

projecthalaxy posted:

My favorite part of the Shield's entire run has come out of THAT SACRED TABERNACLE, THE HOOOOOOLY RING TRUCK (RIP Paul Bearer)!!! Basically back before they did the lights off runins, when the Shield's theme would start, the spotlights and cameras would frantically pan around the crowd as if to say "We have to find these guys now before they kill somebody." it was great.

Yeah I used to love when they did that when Edge debuted. I'm surprised they haven't used it much (at all?) since then.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

projecthalaxy posted:

THAT SACRED TABERNACLE, THE HOOOOOOLY RING TRUCK (RIP Paul Bearer)!!!

I read this in Paul's voice and it made it that much better. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

flashy_mcflash posted:

Yeah I used to love when they did that when Edge debuted. I'm surprised they haven't used it much (at all?) since then.

Well if they did it all the time it wouldn't be cool anymore. Part of the reason it works for The Shield is that we haven't had random guys doing entrances through the crowd as part of their gimmick in a while.

Just like it'll be awesome next time someone comes up through the stage in a ring of fire :getin: