Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hopefully this means they release on US Android on time instead of an arbitrary 1 month delay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I will believe that poo poo when it is in my hands and I am playing it

Please surprise us with PS4 launch day awesomeness :ohdear:

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Barudak posted:

Hopefully this means they release on US Android on time instead of an arbitrary 1 month delay.

Do Apple have exclusivity clauses with these types of games? I would have thought that Android, being a mixed bag of system specs, would involve a little more work on behalf of SE, and I doubt SE want to spend even more $ rushing the port to android. Most people who care are going to buy the game, be it a week or a month later than the IOS version.

I want 4,5 & 6. I never played those games to the end and having them sooner would be nicer.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Raphus C posted:

Do Apple have exclusivity clauses with these types of games? I would have thought that Android, being a mixed bag of system specs, would involve a little more work on behalf of SE, and I doubt SE want to spend even more $ rushing the port to android. Most people who care are going to buy the game, be it a week or a month later than the IOS version.

I want 4,5 & 6. I never played those games to the end and having them sooner would be nicer.

No no, its not something logical like that.

SE has a custom Android store in Japan. That store has a 1 month exclusivity world-wide despite the fact that in the US you can not use the SE Japan Android store and in Japan you can not get SE products via the the US google play store. So in effect, SE has an arbitrary 1 month delay for all android products after the launch in Japan.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Square has it tough. It's easy to think of the old days of gaming as pure and all about the gameplay but square really built it's empire on only releasing the biggest budget games that pushed the technology and hiring the best in the industry artists and composers.

I don't think they have ever figured out what to do now that they don't sit comfortably in "this is the best looking game on this system right now". and "we hired everyone we could think of and made this game using the top talent that exists". It feels like they switch between giving up entirely and trying to make what they used to have without the budget to support that.

Like chrono trigger wasn't some lucky fluke, that game was from the ground up some crazy project that they threw everything at no expense spared, FF6 and FF7 are similar (although each focused the excess differently) . I think they have never figured out how to make a game without that.

Aureon
Jul 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
They still have best-of-the-industry artists and composers, though.
I mean, i don't think any 3dcg worldwide rivales the FF XIV trailer.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Eggie posted:

Final Fantasy Network claims that Takehiro Ando (the producer of Square-Enix's mobile/social gaming division) said that Square-Enix will be shifting away from social gaming.

A NeoGAF member translated one of Ando's posts from a Famitsu App:

An indication that Versus' release is imminent? I think so!

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Eggie posted:

Final Fantasy Network claims that Takehiro Ando (the producer of Square-Enix's mobile/social gaming division) said that Square-Enix will be shifting away from social gaming.

A NeoGAF member translated one of Ando's posts from a Famitsu App:

I like the part where Knights of the Crystals was a new development in the world of social gaming and not a clone of Mafia Wars or any one of a dozen other pre-existing Zynga games.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Krad posted:

An indication that Versus' release is imminent? I think so!

At this point, being turned into an iOS social card game is the only chance of Versus ever being released.

:sigh:

Oh well, back to watching the 2010 trailer again...

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I saw another article somewhere that translated it as basically: 'social gaming' (especially in Japan) has started to have bad connotations associated with applications where you just sink a ton of money into them trying to unlock things, and they aren't really designed to be "fun games." Square wants to get away from that negative connotation and design games that are actually games and not money holes.

This seems extremely hypocritical coming from the company that just released Give us All You MoneyAll the Bravest. Also, the article seemed to reaffirm that Square is totally devoted to making GBS threads out phone games forever (and presumably continuing to ignore consoles).

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Aureon posted:

They still have best-of-the-industry artists and composers, though.
I mean, i don't think any 3dcg worldwide rivales the FF XIV trailer.

I would argue that Blizzard's stuff rivals it. I would still say the end of 14 is the best so far though, but stuff from d3 and hots is pretty close.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Man, the load-to-battle time in FF9 is awful :(

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

quote:

Circle of Mana

Mana franchise is one of my all-time favorites, but I can't even summon up the energy to be disappointed in this. Is this what Sonic fans feel like?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
No, Sonic fans usually had the glimmer of hope because each new game promised a 'return to form' before the inevitable deluge of poo poo came in.

Also Sonic fans had Colors and Genrations which were legitimately good games to pull Sonic back up.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Schwartzcough posted:

This seems extremely hypocritical coming from the company that just released Give us All You MoneyAll the Bravest. Also, the article seemed to reaffirm that Square is totally devoted to making GBS threads out phone games forever (and presumably continuing to ignore consoles).

Eh, I'd rather they realize that stuff like ATB is stupid and cheap even if it's "hypocritical" (maybe the response to it is part of what caused this?), and I think most developers are going to have an increasing phone/tablet presence going forward because in terms of returns-per-dollar that's where the money is. If nothing else everybody will be using them to fund their riskier, bigger games.

Aureon
Jul 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Failboattootoot posted:

I would argue that Blizzard's stuff rivals it. I would still say the end of 14 is the best so far though, but stuff from d3 and hots is pretty close.

Rivals for art, music is on a whole another level.

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Good men must not obey the laws too well

Schwartzcough posted:

I saw another article somewhere that translated it as basically: 'social gaming' (especially in Japan) has started to have bad connotations associated with applications where you just sink a ton of money into them trying to unlock things, and they aren't really designed to be "fun games." Square wants to get away from that negative connotation and design games that are actually games and not money holes.

Yeah, FWIW, the translation that Kotaku posted basically says that Square is looking to get out of this stupid card game hoodwinking stuff and get back to making real games, but not that they'd drop any of their seemingly billions of games that are not console FF titles.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
For those of you who love the XIII series like I do, a question:

In XIII-2, the Archylte Steppe time period is listed as ???. Is it implied or explained anywhere if that fits in the time line somewhere? Like, it's not really obvious if it'd take place before the rise of Cocoon or after the fall?

Still going to maintain that the theme there for the sunny weather is one of the best in the game.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
There are no fal'Cie roaming around screwing stuff up, so I'd probably take it to be after.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

ShadeofDante posted:

Like, it's not really obvious if it'd take place before the rise of Cocoon or after the fall?

Everywhere is chronologically after the fall. It's just that some are more after than others; ??? basically means in most cases that it's outside the normal flow of time, but in that case I think it means it'd be 4 digits rather than 3.

mister negative
Jun 2, 2004

Salad Prong
The Historia Crux mentions that time flows slowly in the Archylte Steppe, which to me implies that the time is irrelevant and that nobody is keeping track. I do remember that one or more of the optional bosses there have a memory fragment entry saying that they are a doomed l'cie/c'eith that now wonders aimlessly, so I just assumed the time is AF, not before.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

ShadeofDante posted:

For those of you who love the XIII series like I do, a question:

In XIII-2, the Archylte Steppe time period is listed as ???. Is it implied or explained anywhere if that fits in the time line somewhere? Like, it's not really obvious if it'd take place before the rise of Cocoon or after the fall?

Still going to maintain that the theme there for the sunny weather is one of the best in the game.

Plains of Eternity is indeed a fantastic track.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Despite being one of my favorite FF games, I still have yet to finish FF5, because every time I try, my save gets lost or corrupted.

As a result, I've never actually seen the very, very end of the game. And the last bosses true nature wasn't an automatic assumption on my part.

This resulted in considerable confusion in Dissidia when I saw his maniken was called a Fallacious Tree :v:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

victrix posted:

Despite being one of my favorite FF games, I still have yet to finish FF5, because every time I try, my save gets lost or corrupted.

As a result, I've never actually seen the very, very end of the game. And the last bosses true nature wasn't an automatic assumption on my part.

This resulted in considerable confusion in Dissidia when I saw his maniken was called a Fallacious Tree :v:

The first time I misread Fallacious as Fabulous, which, while fitting for Bartz, just makes Exdeath more amusing.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Is there any jobs in ff dimensions not worth investing in? When I played through ff5 I just broke the game by having two chars master all the physical jobs and two master all mages but I cant do that now. Just got my first jp to distribute.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Is there any jobs in ff dimensions not worth investing in? When I played through ff5 I just broke the game by having two chars master all the physical jobs and two master all mages but I cant do that now. Just got my first jp to distribute.

Some jobs are only worth mastering for the fusion abilities (dancer for phantom rush, bard for hastega) and other than that aren't that great.

Fusion abilities are cool because you have access to them even after you remove the abilities that make them up.

White Magic for Light and Black Magic for Dark are also learned by mastering Seer and Magus respectively, so only level those jobs if you want to devote slots to the other bonuses (half MP cost for white, 50% more powerful magic for black).

Dross fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Mar 12, 2013

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

http://www.gamefaqs.com/iphone/672352-final-fantasy-dimensions/faqs/65107

This gives a "rating" of each job as well as what each level unlocks. Sufficed to say, getting Red Mage Level 3 is a good idea for any mage/summoner character as it conveys a +20% hp boost and you don't have to spend a single JP to get L3.

A personal hint, is that when you get access to the "Summoner" line, focus your Black Mage towards it - if you get Summon Level 2, then plug that into a Level 10 Black Mage with the +20% INT bonus, you can crack some pretty sickeningly high damage numbers for summons as they're treated as damage spells just like any other. Sounds like you're not even *close* to that yet, though.

Search for +JBSM+ to get to the section giving job selection/focusing advice. It's your choice on whether or not you want to read the Walkthrough sections, though.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 12, 2013

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Take one character from each party (I suggest Alba and Dusk) and make them Red Mages as soon as you get the ability to have jobs, and do not change them until they master it, and then change them into something else and never make anyone a Red Mage ever again.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dross posted:

Take one character from each party (I suggest Alba and Dusk) and make them Red Mages as soon as you get the ability to have jobs, and do not change them until they master it, and then change them into something else and never make anyone a Red Mage ever again.

When post game comes your red-mage mastered character in the light party should become a Seer and your dark member should become a Magus. With this you rain death on the endgame foes. Without it you, uh, rain death on the endgame foes.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Ok thanks, I've already had both mages get to lvl3 with red mage anyways so I'll make one continue to level it. Does a master red mage get doublecadt like in ff5? Having someone do doublecast -quick/meteor/meteor/meteor/meteor/meteor was hilarious by the end of ff5.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ok thanks, I've already had both mages get to lvl3 with red mage anyways so I'll make one continue to level it. Does a master red mage get doublecadt like in ff5? Having someone do doublecast -quick/meteor/meteor/meteor/meteor/meteor was hilarious by the end of ff5.

Yes, that is the level 20 reward for Red Mage. The game is really, really easy though so even without it you can ransack the final boss and most of the optional bosses. Dimensions really suffers from having no real post-game content to speak of and I'm honestly surprised they didn't add a whole new chapter of nothing but post-game stuff as an add on.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Yes, Doublecast is the Red Mage Lv.20 ability and takes two slots. It is also the only reason to level a Red Mage, as they are awesome in the early game but by Chapter 4 both their physical and magical competence are very much outclassed and they are a hindrance to your party.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I was just reading that job guide and saw that. I've realized that this is the exact same job system as ff5 basically with a few level caps added. Looking forward to trying my first 4 job fiesta this year since I finally completed ff5.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I just went ahead and leveled both parties to Level 50 in the mid-game by wandering around with attack on "Auto Mode" for most every kind of enemy. Protip, though - anything that uses the toxifying version of "Bite," don't auto mode through fights with them. Toxify plus Confuse plus ultra-fast cycling can add up to a dead team rather fast.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Just started playing FF: Dimensions. drat, this game is a lot of fun so far. If I can make it work, I think I may LP this next.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Azure_Horizon posted:

Just started playing FF: Dimensions. drat, this game is a lot of fun so far. If I can make it work, I think I may LP this next.

It's the first FF I've played since pitching FF8 out the loving window over a decade ago (correction: FFX on the PS2, which didn't suck), and the 50% off sale on it last week finally made it palatable to buy.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Mar 13, 2013

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'm having way too much fun with Dissidia

This series needs a PS4 release with proper online play, it would kick so much rear end

Morphing into an action rpg in the single player along the lines of KH, but keeping the 'play forever' nature in the form of added dungeons/side areas would be awesome as well.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Great end game tip in Dimensions: set the three party members you are not using to white mage/seer and use them to heal your party after fights.

Poison Jam
Mar 29, 2009

Shh...
We're being watched.
I think I might be in a minority in this thread (only on page 36, lots of catching up to do) in that I like XIII and XIII-2 will be here tomorrow. Now before you die of shock let me just say that I don't like JRPGs and I've never enjoyed FF games and I've played quite a few but gave up because, well, I don't like JRPGs. With XIII I've found that the story can go gently caress itself, the voice acting and dialogue is appalling, it's anime as gently caress and far too linear for my liking, EXCEPT, I love the battle system. I don't know why but seeing the battle system in action made me buy the game and I'm enjoying the actual fighting and with XIII-2 being less linear I should have quite a bit to look forward to when I finish XIII right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Yes, quite a bit of sitting in Com/Rav or Com/Com squishing everything in sight because the game is hilariously easy :v:

I look forward you to your impressions though, if you thought 13 was anime as gently caress, you're in for a treat.