Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Niric posted:

Even for the Express, this is terrible. There's not even any attempt at a joke here, it's literally just saying "immigrants are violent."

And what the gently caress is everyone wearing?

Seriously, I think it's a project to see how bad you can make cartoons and still get them printed at face value in a national newspaper. The carefully drawn birds are a hidden symbol of integrity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Guardian:

MPs row back on plans for more private sector involvement in NHS four weeks before they were due to come into effect.

Telegraph:

Indy:

Daily Express:

Who would have guessed this would have been the Express' cartoon when everything is going to poo poo, "Our Queenie! :britain:"
:fuckoff:

News articles related to cartoons today:

For 'Fair' & 'Balance' I'll post one or two from each news paper cartoon.

'Batman' brings in suspect to Bradford police.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-21654930

Sir David Nicholson: I am the right man to lead NHS.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2013/mar/05/sir-david-nicholson-right-man-nhs

David Nicholson is not the right person to guide the future of the NHS.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/mar/06/david-nicholson-not-right-person-nhs

Mid Staffs scandal: Patient interests were neglected for years by NHS mangers as hospitals concentrated on cutting waiting times, Sir David Nicholson tells MPs.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...ps-8520473.html

George Osborne opposes EU's planned cap on bankers' bonuses.
Brussels plans to limits bonuses to 100 per cent of salary - or twice that with shareholder approval.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/george-osborne-opposes-eus-planned-cap-on-bankers-bonuses-8521659.html

NHS worker 'excluded from protest' over hospital closure after revealing she was a UKIP member.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...kip-member.html

My fear over Queen role, by Dame Helen.
http://www.express.co.uk/news/showbiz/382051/My-fear-over-Queen-role-by-Dame-Helen

Fluo fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Mar 7, 2013

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Fluo posted:

Telegraph:

Cartoon-A-Likes
Catching up on back issues Private Eye I found this (much better) cartoon from the 25 Jan - 7 Feb edition:

baka kaba posted:

And what the gently caress is everyone wearing?

For the man it's as if the cartoonist has tried to mix every possible aspect of middle-england: there's a suit for the city types, a green burberry/barbour jacket for the country types, a 'quirky' bow-tie for the UKIP eccentrics, a flat cap for the 'pensioners and a briefcase for the working-aged. The wife is there, presumably, to demonstrate he's not a suspisciously single middle-aged man, you know, one of those types (and for someone to be horribly, horribly xenophobic at).

Niric fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Mar 6, 2013

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Niric posted:

The wife is there, presumably, to demonstrate he's not a suspisciously single middle-aged man, you know, one of those types (and for someone to be horribly, horribly xenophobic at).

Yeah and honestly her entire expression just looks like one 'what the gently caress' reaction to it. Except everyone always looks like that... well except the royal family apparently

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Prince Philip is buggering a corgi.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Guardian:

Steve Bell on the plan to equip Syria's rebels.

Telegraph:

Indy:

Daily Mail:

The head of the NHS incredibly denies that he knew anything about the appalling conditions at the Stafford hospital.

quote:

“Makes you wonder doesn’t it? ..We’re in here, he’s out there.”

Daily Express:

Just a friendly reminder the Daily Express is so far up the Royal Family's arsehole that they will be doing a special cartoon every week keeping updates on the baby. :suicide:

Fluo fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Mar 7, 2013

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
When was the last time you actually saw someone in a tweed suit? Maybe a secret underground of such sartorial throwbacks constitutes the Express's readership.
Anyway, at a guess, I'd say it's a Red Kite in silhouette.

neck face
Mar 13, 2009

closed casket

Mr. Squishy posted:

When was the last time you actually saw someone in a tweed suit? Maybe a secret underground of such sartorial throwbacks constitutes the Express's readership.
Anyway, at a guess, I'd say it's a Red Kite in silhouette.

I actually see a guy wearing full tweed every morning. Hat, jacket, waistcoat, plus-fours, argyle socks - the whole package. He has to be literally the only person in Southampton dressed like that.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

I can't remember if its been posted yet, but here is the latest (21st December 2012) Steve Bell Video. Which is Steve Bell's year in cartoons.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/video/2012/dec/31/year-in-cartoons-steve-bell-2012-video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqBcclS6Oxc

Also going back to 2012, somehow I didn't see this article, if you have think of it as a reminder how much of a prick Giles Coren is written by such as big a prick Damian Thompson.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/damianthompson/100190020/guardian-cartoonist-steve-bell-is-a-nazi-says-times-columnist-giles-coren/

quote:

Guardian cartoonist Steve Bell is a Nazi, says Times columnist Giles Coren – then retracts.

This Hamas cartoon is NOT by Steve Bell. But it might as well be.

[Update: So now Giles Coren has retracted his "Nazi" accusation, saying it was based on his misunderstanding of this post by Guido, which shows a genuine Nazi cartoon alongside Bell's. Coren says he thought Bell drew both.]

Times columnist Giles Coren, who's Jewish, has just tweeted this message to James Delingpole. (NB: It's his opinion – we're reporting it, not endorsing it.)

My sense is that the odious Steve Bell has produced a cartoon (which you can see in Brendan O'Neill's blogpost here) so unquestionably anti-Semitic – Jews as puppet–masters, for God's sake – that even the Guardian won't be able to shrug this one off.

Half the article hyperlinks to other telegraph articles bashing the Guardian and brown nosing Guido. Because Guido gets most his hits from the Telegraph hyperlinking.

The two cartoons which Giles Coren thought he did both and not just the one to the right. Also in that Telegraph article the comments got locked sometime ago. :lol:

Fluo fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 7, 2013

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Fluo posted:

Daily Express:

That sure is one clearly-labelled betting shop.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I enjoy the way that everyone always looks like :stare:, so when you get someone vaguely realistic and toned down like that chauffeur it has the effect of making them look sinister. The :stare:s know too much and he has orders to kill. Death's shadow flits briefly across the sun

Fluo
May 25, 2007

baka kaba posted:

I enjoy the way that everyone always looks like :stare:, so when you get someone vaguely realistic and toned down like that chauffeur it has the effect of making them look sinister. The :stare:s know too much and he has orders to kill. Death's shadow flits briefly across the sun

Everyone looks like :stare: apart from the royal family and the odd person. However the royal family's corgis all look :stare:.

Fluo fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 7, 2013

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

Apologies if this has also been posted but with Are Kate visiting Grimsby here's a clip of Steve Bell in action as David Cameron pretends to care about another of Britain's dying industries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8aT1WeiJ6s

Oh Steve, you're like a reserved Brian Blessed :3:

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Might I add, as an American, how utterly bizarre it is to not only see a political cartoonist acting like a reporter but also chatting even just a sentence with the PM, especially the one he draws as a condom head.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Fluo posted:

Daily Express:

This is the North Cotswolds all day every day. Except our owls aren't quite as sinister. Toff clothes, casual racism, vacant stares, we've got it all!

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Steve Bell's video series are amazing!

LP97S posted:

Might I add, as an American, how utterly bizarre it is to not only see a political cartoonist acting like a reporter but also chatting even just a sentence with the PM, especially the one he draws as a condom head.

Here is some more (most are in the OP but no harm in reposting :3:).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CjHEtRxJb8
Steve Bell sketches the Oldham East and Saddleworth byelection.
Kids doing a fake election on the parties, the year before Green Party won. :yayclod:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpilXpPt4y8
Steve Bell's election: 'You're only saying that because he's your mate'.
Bell talking to Huhne, Osborne and Harman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnoX0sTWJLk
Steve Bell's royal wedding: Meeting the monarchists at a royal visit
Steve Bell is so naturally funny. :swoon:

But not all his stuff is on youtube so make sure to check out this link here.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Whybird posted:

That sure is one clearly-labelled betting shop.

Bookies in the UK are not shy.

Re: Giles Coren - now you know why he's known as "the Coren nobody reads or likes".

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

neck face posted:

I actually see a guy wearing full tweed every morning. Hat, jacket, waistcoat, plus-fours, argyle socks - the whole package. He has to be literally the only person in Southampton dressed like that.

I've seen one in Glasgow. He asked me what my building was as I was leaving work, then followed me and told me that the council high rises we were walking past were filled with immigrants secretly flown into Heathrow at 3 in the morning. Also apparently the only history book you'll ever need is the bible. Possibly a Daily Express reader.

Fluo posted:

Daily Mail:

The head of the NHS incredibly denies that he knew anything about the appalling conditions at the Stafford hospital.

... What? Is this just some idiom I'm not getting?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Murderion posted:

I've seen one in Glasgow. He asked me what my building was as I was leaving work, then followed me and told me that the council high rises we were walking past were filled with immigrants secretly flown into Heathrow at 3 in the morning. Also apparently the only history book you'll ever need is the bible. Possibly a Daily Express reader.

... What? Is this just some idiom I'm not getting?

They are in the Alzheimers ward, the head of the NHS (conveniently) forgot something.

Clapham Omnibus
Nov 11, 2006

Fluo posted:

Steve Bell's video series are amazing!

Here is some more (most are in the OP but no harm in reposting :3:).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpilXpPt4y8
Steve Bell's election: 'You're only saying that because he's your mate'.
Bell talking to Huhne, Osborne and Harman.

Thanks for these, I really enjoy the behind-the-scenes looks at our political machine in action. The leadership debate spin room was particularly ridiculous. I wish we had more journos with Steve's style. I think because he's a cartoonist first and a journalist second he can get away with not playing the politician's spin game, he just doesn't seem to care, he knows it's all poo poo and just goes along with it.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Jedit posted:

Re: Giles Coren - now you know why he's known as "the Coren nobody reads or likes".

His sister's alright though.

[edit]

That was the point. Ah, yes. Sorry.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

GuestBob posted:

His sister's alright though.

[edit]

That was the point. Ah, yes. Sorry.

Until Jedit said that I'd never even thought about any connection with the Observer writer. I looked at his wikipedia page to check if they were related and the first sentence is "Giles Coren (born 29 July 1969) is a British food critic, television presenter and novelist. He is known for expressing controversial opinions, and for his television appearances with the comedian Sue Perkins." How on earth can she stand such a despicable piece of poo poo?

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Niric posted:

How on earth can she stand such a despicable piece of poo poo?

Actually, he isn't too bad on TV - he's one of these people who is a penis on serious topics or in writing but who is otherwise likeable when it comes to more lighthearted stuff.

Which is a bit weird because I have often thought that his sister's TV work can be a bit limp at times; like she's holding back.

Personally, I just think you're jealous of him getting to hang around with Perkins (yes, I know, I know).

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

GuestBob posted:

Personally, I just think you're jealous of him getting to hang around with Perkins (yes, I know, I know).

I'm am jealous, but I'm not just jealous :colbert:

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Fluo posted:

Telegraph:

This one's almost good because it links to the other story nobody paid attention to, that a walrus came to Orkney http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-21647421

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

This one's almost good because it links to the other story nobody paid attention to, that a walrus came to Orkney http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-21647421

If George Osborne is the Walrus, who is the egg man?

Guardian:

David Cameron has slapped down a call by the business secretary, Vince Cable, for increased government borrowing.

The elephant man is back!

Telegraph:

Indy:

He seems to start looking like Steve Bell's Cameron a lot more lately. :confused:

Daily Express:

:suicide:

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Fluo posted:

Indy:

He seems to start looking like Steve Bell's Cameron a lot more lately. :confused:

Indy guy relies on redoing famous paintings/photos waaay too much. And yeah, this isn't the first time he's copied a Bell caricature either (the little vampire fella).

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Fluo posted:

If George Osborne is the Walrus, who is the egg man?

William Hague?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Fluo posted:

I have no problem with this :colbert:

Also Vicky Coren owns but then I'm a poker player so I would say that.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Jedit posted:

Bookies in the UK are not shy.

I'm pretty sure we don't have any which are actually named 'BETTING SHOP' though.

I mean, it's one thing for a political cartoonist to label a big stormcloud 'TAXES' because it represents TAXES, but taking a betting shop and labelling it BETTING SHOP because it represents a betting shop is a move worthy of Kelly.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Whybird posted:

I'm pretty sure we don't have any which are actually named 'BETTING SHOP' though.

I mean, it's one thing for a political cartoonist to label a big stormcloud 'TAXES' because it represents TAXES, but taking a betting shop and labelling it BETTING SHOP because it represents a betting shop is a move worthy of Kelly.

I already showed you one labeled BOOKMAKERS in letters twice the size of the name of the chain. I'm more surprised that the Express used "BETTING SHOP" instead - most of their readership probably knows what one is.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Pretty much only Guardian's is up online today, been waiting for the others but seems its just Guardian.
Guardian:

The Lib Dems are gathering in Brighton for their spring conference boosted by victory in the Eastleigh byelection.

Stephen Collins!

BBC Article about political cartoons from back in November 2012.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20462098

quote:

Political cartoons: Britain's revolutionaries.

They appear daily in our newspapers and have lampooned prime ministers for generations, but have political cartoons helped Britain avoid some of the political tumult of its European neighbours?

For nearly 400 years, Britain has avoided violent struggles and political revolution.

In 1789, while France was busy overthrowing its royal rulers and unceremoniously chopping off the heads of its aristocrats, Britain shunned their revolutionary zeal, preferring a more sedate pace of change.[...]

quote:

Lord Baker's top current cartoonists
  • Steve Bell - draws for the Guardian newspaper. Known for showing John Major in his underpants and David Cameron as a condom.
  • Peter Brookes - draws for the Times. His pictures of Nick Clegg as David Cameron's "fag" is an image Lord Baker thinks will endure.
  • Matt aka Matthew Pritchett - draws a daily cartoon for the front page of the Daily Telegraph.
  • Chris Riddell - Draws the weekly cartoon for the Observer. One of his latest creations showing David Cameron in the jungle on "I'm the Prime Minister... Get Me Out of Here!" is one of Lord Baker's recent favourites.
  • Martin Rowson - draws for the Guardian newspaper. A "brilliant cartoonist" who is just as funny in person as he is on paper, Lord Baker says.
  • Gerald Scarfe - the 76-year old veteran cartoonist known for his often vicious and cruel cartoons is still drawing for the Sunday Times.

quote:

John Major's underpants became a fundamental part of his political caricature.

quote:

This anonymous cartoon from 1740 satirises Prime Minister Robert Walpole's love of patronage.

quote:

Margaret Thatcher as the Iron Lady. This cartoon wasn't published by the Daily Telegraph because the editor thought readers wouldn't like seeing "Margaret's knickers round her ankles".

Fluo fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 9, 2013

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
That Stephen Collins is so, so great. Where on earth did this guy spring from?

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Barry Foster posted:

That Stephen Collins is so, so great. Where on earth did this guy spring from?

It seems he has been out there for the past couple of years just trying to friend a place, he seems to have worked for alot of people but I think its more free lance, where as the Guardian one is for every week. He's great and his work has a real quirk I think. :)

OP posted:

Stephen Collins

Stephen Collins is a UK illustrator and cartoonist whose work has appeared in many publications worldwide. He has won several awards, including the Jonathan Cape/Observer Graphic Short Story Prize 2010, The Society for News Design Award of Excellence for Feature Design 2008, The Cartoon Arts Trust Best Strip Cartoonist 2008, and the Images 32 Bronze Editorial Award for 2008.

He has a weekly cartoon in The Guardian Weekend and a monthly one in Prospect magazine. He is currently working on a graphic novel to be published by Jonathan Cape in early 2013, about a man who grows a really massive beard. Like, really massive.

PREVIOUS CLIENTS:

The Times
Wall Street Journal
BBC
Deutsche Bank
Wired
The Guardian
GQ
The Spectator
La Repubblica
Stolichnaya
FHM
The Independent
Radio Times
(and many more)

<Some of his work.>

His website: http://www.stephencollinsillustration.com/
His twitter: (He uses it alot too!) https://twitter.com/stephen_collins
His tumblr: http://stephen-collins.tumblr.com/ Which seems to have some of his work on there and a lot of other stuff like doddles etc.

quote:

Best thing ever happened this week: Dave Clarke, the giant anteater keeper at London Zoo, very kindly invited me and Hannah to feed the giant anteaters. (Dave liked that anteater comic I did recently, so he invited us in to come and feed the real thing). He was a true gent, showed us behind the scenes round the invertebrates department and everything. There’s some seriously important conservation work going on all the time at London Zoo, it was quite an eye opener.
:3:

I just love his style and everything about his work. :3:

For my birthday I'm so going to get myself one of his prints. :3:

Also he has just done a podcast!
http://makeitthentelleverybody.com/2013/03/stephen-collins/

quote:

Also I did a podcast interview with Dan Berry (check his stuff out here, it’s really excellent) for his Make It Then Tell Everybody series. MITTE is brilliant, really interesting if you’re into comics and how they’re made.

The podcast is 48minutes long and just started listening to it, its great! Talking about whats funny, whats not funny, politics etc! Also talking about how he came about doing cartoons / comics, he also didn't go to art school!

The book he done the art work for will be out soon!

http://forbiddenplanet.co.uk/blog/2011/upcoming-the-gigantic-beard-that-was-evil-by-stephen-collins/

quote:

A long time to wait on this one, but I think it will be worth the wait. Stephen Collins, worthy winner of the 2010 Observer/Cape Short Graphic Fiction Prize, has his debut graphic novel out from Jonathan Cape in summer 2012.
From Collins’ blog:

“Dave has been filling my days for the past few months. He is the main character, indeed pretty much the only character, in my first graphic novel which will be completed by the middle of next year, to be published by Jonathan Cape. I’ve been drawing him so many times I’ve had to make a sculpy maquette to keep his head consistent. It’s like being a one-person flipping animation studio. I say it’s a ‘graphic novel’ but that makes it sound rather more grand than intended. It is basically a picture book with some words in it. I think they call them comics. I’m doing it all with pencil, and a lot of rubbing out.
The book is called ‘The Gigantic Beard That Was Evil’. It’s about this gigantic beard that causes a right rumpus. More broadly, it’s about hair and death and chaos and stories and fear and Stuff Just Happening. And the Bangles.”
“Basically a picture book with some words” …. I think he’s being too modest. I think it may well be great, based on his previous works we’ve seen and these pictures from the graphic novel:

His book is here on amazon, not released yet but I've preordered mine. Couldn't find it anywhere else to preorder. :(

Estimated delivery: 13 May 2013, to give you an idea of release date. :3:

Fluo fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 9, 2013

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
He's been in the Graun's Saturday magazine for years now (and Prospect magazine occasionally). Have a podcast appearance whre he talks a little about how he got into it (in brief: he was a terrible journalist).
efb

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Fluo posted:

His twitter: (He uses it alot too!) https://twitter.com/stephen_collins
Aww, he responded to your Tweet! His work is basically amazing, 'nuff said.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Fluo posted:

I just love his style and everything about his work. :3:

Yeah all his stuff is really charming.

I think Amazon is definitely the only place that is currently doing pre-orders, I remember looking around for it last year sometime and in the end just pre-ordered with them too.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Sunday cartoons, so not many as normal.

Guardian:

Was Eastleigh such a great victory?
Chris Riddell on the prospects for Nick Clegg and the Liberal Democrats.

Telegraph:

Indy:

Its a parody of Norman Garstin's painting called 'The Rain, it raineth every day'.

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
That's a bit of a weak homage. The face wasn't present in the original painting and nothing else essential about the painting has really been altered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Noreaus posted:

That's a bit of a weak homage. The face wasn't present in the original painting and nothing else essential about the painting has really been altered.
Did you miss the dog cocking its leg? (But otherwise yes.)

• Locked thread