Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

All on Black
Dec 14, 2007

She's not "that Mexican", Mom, she's MY Mexican. And she's...Colombian or something.
There's a girl working at KFC where I live named Silver. Also since we're talking about our own names now, I've always loved my first name but I hated my last name for most of my life. Then I found out it's the name of a type of vengeful spirit in Scottish folklore and I liked it a lot more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

HEGEL SMOKE A J posted:

My last name is Italian for "He/she weans baby animals." Pretty boring. I did, however, go to college with a guy named Christian Blood. Rad.

I used to have to send out a mailing list for a Dr. Blood. Appropriate.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

All on Black posted:

There's a girl working at KFC where I live named Silver. Also since we're talking about our own names now, I've always loved my first name but I hated my last name for most of my life. Then I found out it's the name of a type of vengeful spirit in Scottish folklore and I liked it a lot more.

Gahh, I hate when people do this. Don't hold out on us!

BAKA FLOCKA FLAME
Oct 9, 2012

by Pipski
My name is the best name ever. It's wicked. If you heard it you'd totally poo poo.

All on Black
Dec 14, 2007

She's not "that Mexican", Mom, she's MY Mexican. And she's...Colombian or something.

Rough Lobster posted:

Gahh, I hate when people do this. Don't hold out on us!

Haha sorry, I didn't even really think of that. My last name is Bogle, which is the origin of the terms bogey and boogeyman. I hated it when I was a kid and then I found that out and thought it was pretty neat.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
My middle name is Willene. That isn't so bad until you think about how a little kid might say it. When I was about 4 I said my name (Christy Willene) as "Crissy Ween". That caused my family members to give me the nickname "Weeny" until I was an adult, at which time I graduated into "GreatWeen". It's now my twitter name, so I've owned it, but those first 18 or so years were a bitch.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.
My last name's pretty awesome. Nix. German-derived from the word Nixie for water spirit. Like Lorelai, the siren who sang men to their deaths in the river. There are other meanings prescribed to it, but this is the one I claim because it suits me. My other names are pretty ordinary now, but were not when I was growing up. I go by Paige, so I had to deal with a lot of lame jokes in school from a bunch of idiots who thought they were clever. Because clearly no one ever thought to go "Hey Paige, what page" Until you did, generic rear end in a top hat from high school.

Silly Hippie
Sep 18, 2007
Met a girl named Aryse today. Pronounced "Arise". Also answered an email from someone named Nape. That was weird.

Is it wrong of me to be irritated that my coworker Mia's named is pronounced "Maya"? Because I literally cannot read her name correctly. Every time I see it, I think "mee-ah".

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Silly Hippie posted:

Is it wrong of me to be irritated that my coworker Mia's named is pronounced "Maya"? Because I literally cannot read her name correctly. Every time I see it, I think "mee-ah".

I've know a few Mia's where it's pronounced "mee-ah", so I have no idea what was going on there, except their parents deciding to take a name, and spell it to be unique not reaslising it's spelled like another name, which...actually wouldn't surprise me at all.

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL
I find people reading Maya as "May-ah" more irritating. Who in the gently caress is named May-ah

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
Erica........

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
That pretty much wraps right over from "terrible" into "test pilot for COBRA"

Occams taser
Mar 7, 2013

What is Occam's Razor??????
Pretty much any name from A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones HBO series. Specifically any member of House Targaryen.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
:downs:

Sham bam bamina! has a new favorite as of 14:50 on Dec 5, 2018

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

SHAM BAM BAMINA posted:

I don't think that fictional names count. Way too easy, and they don't have any real shock value.

I think he means real life people are naming their kids that.

Less terrible, more awesome: Coming into my store this weekend, two families with the last names Brown-Battle and Bloodsaw :black101:

Occams taser
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah I suppose that's true regarding the fictional characters not being all that terrible. But, take a gander: http://www.wetpaint.com/network/articles/parents-are-naming-their-babies-after-game-of-thrones-characters-now

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Occams taser posted:

Yeah I suppose that's true regarding the fictional characters not being all that terrible. But, take a gander: http://www.wetpaint.com/network/articles/parents-are-naming-their-babies-after-game-of-thrones-characters-now

Niall Horan isn't a fictional character, and Niall was a real name before One Direction became popular. Sybil is a bit old-fashioned, but it is a real name. Decimus is as old as, well, Rome. Senna is also the name of a German pop singer born in 1979.

No excuse for the rest of them. Except Arya. Arya Stark owns.

Occams taser
Mar 7, 2013

The stipulations don't specify they have to be in the present. I'm going to name my kid something exotic.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Most of those are real. My grandma is named Sybil.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

iForge posted:

Erica........

I'm pretty sure this is just a semi-racist Photoshop that's been going around.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Niall Horan isn't a fictional character, and Niall was a real name before One Direction became popular. Sybil is a bit old-fashioned, but it is a real name. Decimus is as old as, well, Rome. Senna is also the name of a German pop singer born in 1979.

Most people assume that Irish and Welsh first names are completely made up. Senna is also a type of laxative :shrek:.

Oh, and Arya is Sanskrit for noble, great, or truthful.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Vanderdeath posted:

I'm pretty sure this is just a semi-racist Photoshop that's been going around.

Nope. It's not a photoshop, but I'm sure it will be used by racists.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Senna also helps you poop! :science:

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I was at a basketball game in Milwaukee a few weeks ago.

One of their halftime entertainments was having babies crawl toward a mascot to see who could make it the furthest in 5 minutes.

One of the babies was named "Fayt". I wish I was making it up.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?
We had a couple great applications at my last job. One was Duc Quac, the other was Baddi Luckataro (don't remember the exact spelling but it was definitely pronounced like this).

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009

Vomax posted:

We had a couple great applications at my last job. One was Duc Quac, the other was Baddi Luckataro (don't remember the exact spelling but it was definitely pronounced like this).

My parents worked with a Duc (pronounced "Duke"), a nice Vietnamese guy.

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused
Used to go to school with a girl named Maja pronounced "my-uh"

All on Black
Dec 14, 2007

Which is the exact pronunciation of that name.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
There's a woman on Jeopardy right now with the name Yellowlees. She's claiming it's an old Norman surname, which is kind of cool, but still.

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009
I used to live near a girl called Fanny Forest

For context, while "fanny" means "rear end" in the US, it means "vagina" in the UK

Life must be fun when your name is a euphemism for pubic hair

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face
Helen McLellan
Gregor MacGregor

Knew them both when I lived in Germany

Dat Ho is a colleague I've never actually met and it is seriously the best name ever

Edit, there was also a Rob.A Page that was abbreviated to rapage@companyname.com.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

clarabelle posted:

I used to live near a girl called Fanny Forest

For context, while "fanny" means "rear end" in the US, it means "vagina" in the UK

Life must be fun when your name is a euphemism for pubic hair

I'm pretty sure rear end Forest lends itself just as well to the same jokes.

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

God made Adam and Eve, not Fluffy and Eve.
There is a student at the community college I work at named Toyleasha.

This is the only thing I can think of when I hear it:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Holly Madison, who is probably best known for being Hef's (former) main girlfriend and for being a reality TV star, has just given birth: Rainbow Aurora Rotella.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
:cawg:

Google Rotella. Now picture an oil sheen on a puddle :v:

Man, I don't know if that's the worst name, or the best name.

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.
All I can think of it pretty nature feature + pretty nature feature + tomato sauce.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

kastein posted:

:cawg:

Google Rotella. Now picture an oil sheen on a puddle :v:

Man, I don't know if that's the worst name, or the best name.

Holy poo poo, that is amazing.

I think it's now the best name.

Knight2m
Jul 26, 2002

Touchdown Steelers

La-a (pronounced Ladasha)

Richard Ondick

Constance Psycho

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Astrobastard posted:

Helen McLellan
Gregor MacGregor

Knew them both when I lived in Germany

Dat Ho is a colleague I've never actually met and it is seriously the best name ever

Edit, there was also a Rob.A Page that was abbreviated to rapage@companyname.com.

I know it's too much to ask that you work with me, but it's entirely possible - we have a Dat Ho as well. :D My friend wrote a song about him, it's amazing. Tiny little IT dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

Crow Jane posted:

There's a woman on Jeopardy right now with the name Yellowlees. She's claiming it's an old Norman surname, which is kind of cool, but still.

It is a last name. I have a friend with that last name.

To contribute, I know someone whose parents almost named him Simon Oscar Barrett, but after realising that good initials would be S.O.B. they changed it to Oscar Simon.