Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

xzzy posted:

Speaking of which, after I posted that link about hockey stick length, I took my older wood stick and lopped off about five inches from the thing.. went from ~65 inches from top to heel to ~59 inches. I'm 5'10" and this took the stick from the tip of my nose (off skates) to just under my chin.

Was kind of weird putting it against the wall against everyone else's stick, it looked like a kid stick. Was worried I had cut too much, but after skating with it I think I like it. I really missed the length when reaching for a puck, but I had a much easier time keeping the blade flat on the ice and this helped with passes and control.

I did this too the other day and I think I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

Speaking of which, after I posted that link about hockey stick length, I took my older wood stick and lopped off about five inches from the thing.. went from ~65 inches from top to heel to ~59 inches. I'm 5'10" and this took the stick from the tip of my nose (off skates) to just under my chin.

Was kind of weird putting it against the wall against everyone else's stick, it looked like a kid stick. Was worried I had cut too much, but after skating with it I think I like it. I really missed the length when reaching for a puck, but I had a much easier time keeping the blade flat on the ice and this helped with passes and control.

5'9" here. Intermediate sticks for life. $10 cheaper, no cutting necessary. Also sick flexes.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Yea I just bought a shorter stick, didn't have to cut, but it is that 'correct' length of around the shoulders with skates on. I had a lot better control with moving and shooting the puck. Next thing I'll have to look out for is experimenting with different lie once I can find something I like on clearance.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Mar 7, 2013

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Hockles posted:

We should have gone with our original plan: Get hammered and heckle the USA Hockey Tournament at the Herb Brooks Arena. (Which turned out to be like Pee-Wees/Bantams)

Those kids were totally playing the early ice times, I bet there was a shitload of awful adult hockey in the evenings that we didn't bother to check out.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

You have to be a colossal rear end in a top hat to carry on a hockey stick. This would be in the same category as guitars, pets and small children.

Not only that I am sure some :byodood: would be happy to report that suspicious looking man with a WEAPON around the airport.

OH, and you know that little closet right next to the door when you walk onto the plane? Put it there. If you ever look in there, there's always at least one garment bag in there. It's made for tall things.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
Ahh, I love playing ringer teams. Their best player also felt the need to jump right between me and the boards three different times, when I am going somewhat fast and about 3ft away from them. This then lead to him getting hit then curling up into a fetal position for a minute like he was dead. I didnt get a penalty either time until he stayed on the ground, then got boarding calls. He is in such pain that after each "injury" he was able to go deke through everyone at full speed and score, or set up his brother who acts the same way.

e: I should include that he is #87 to show how awesome he is.

dms666 fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 7, 2013

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Pleads posted:

Those kids were totally playing the early ice times, I bet there was a shitload of awful adult hockey in the evenings that we didn't bother to check out.

We were too busy eating duck cracklins, steak, cod, shrimp, mussels, scallops, or salmon.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!
Tried a shorter stick last game, and I like it a lot but I definitely need a blade with more lie on it. The only real problem I encountered was slapshot muscle memory. I took one and was too far away from the puck so it just kind of dribbled off the end of my stick and into the boards. I was able to get the rebound and put it over the glove, so I'm calling the experiment a success. haha

I'm curious if there are any other big guys(I'm 6'3, 250) who play who can give me advice for avoiding what I call big-man-penalties. What happens is I'll be in the slot, clearing forwards out and inevitably, some shorter player who's almost always leaning on their stick will find their face in my elbow. Or a reasonably light hip push/check or stick pop will send them to the ice. I end up in the box and playing a very unaggressive game after a couple calls like that. Meanwhile, I take highsticks, slew foots, and cup checks all night long. Short of letting tiny forwards own my slot and screen my goalie, what does one do in that situation?

I'm the big guy on the team, and I know I'm supposed to play a physical game, and I'm legitimately not playing dirty or too rough for beer league. It seems like refs should be able to understand that someone who's 5'6 and whatever weight isn't going to have a lot of success trying to tie up the slot against me.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
^^play against someone who's 5'6" and strong on their skates and get introduced to the concept of a lower center of gravity. ;)

As far as avoiding elbows to the face and stuff for smaller players...sorry, you just kind of have to be more careful not to get your elbows in the face of a smaller player. Generally that's right in the center of the ref's field of vision so it's going to get called. They shouldn't really be calling it if you're just tied up in front of the net putting pressure on each other and the smaller person goes down, you're right. But if it's actually an elbow to the face or a high stick...yeah.

5'9" here. Intermediate sticks for life. $10 cheaper, no cutting necessary. Also sick flexes.

I still have to cut Intermediate sticks. :haw:

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 7, 2013

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Won't you lose power if you go with too much flex?

I dropped down from an 87 to 77 and just cut the stick down 2" back to around 84ish which feels ok. I like the length of the stick but wish the flex was still in the 70's

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Not sure about losing power, I can just feel my shot better with a 67 flex, it's hard to explain. I feel like I've got much more zip on my wrister compared to my old senior 87 flex (cut to ~110) stick.

It all comes down to personal preference really. Some people like whippy sticks, some like super stiff ones. I suggest firing off a few shots with someone's 67 to see if you like it.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 7, 2013

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

Topoisomerase posted:

^^play against someone who's 5'6" and strong on their skates and get introduced to the concept of a lower center of gravity. ;)

This is the way to make sure I have the worst game ever. There is nothing more annoying than a shorter forward who has no problem stepping around me quickly. That's when I legit get into situations where penalties happen and it's usually because I'm in the middle of trying to avoid looking oafish.

Topoisomerase posted:

As far as avoiding elbows to the face and stuff for smaller players...sorry, you just kind of have to be more careful not to get your elbows in the face of a smaller player. Generally that's right in the center of the ref's field of vision so it's going to get called. They shouldn't really be calling it if you're just tied up in front of the net putting pressure on each other and the smaller person goes down, you're right. But if it's actually an elbow to the face or a high stick...yeah.

The bitch of it is that frequently the shorter players get all upset at me because they skated face first into my elbow, and how dare I have the nerve to be so cheap. Thankfully I have no shortage of snark and eventually they get so spun up that by the end of the game they're irrelevant because all they're trying to do is get me to physically react.

It at least makes me feel better knowing that there's a ref on the planet who's at least aware that I'm not out there being goony 100% of the time. So thanks for that! :hfive:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

lazerwolf posted:

Won't you lose power if you go with too much flex?

You'll lose power because stick will have broken if you go with too much flex. (Kinda)

Much of it is personal preference and depends entirely on how much leverage you can put on the stick. A lot of leverage comes from the height/weight of the player but some of it also comes from strength and shooting motion as well.

If you can flex more than the stick can handle you're missing out on additional power, yes, but you're also shortening the life of your stick given that you're putting it through a higher impact than the rating.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

sellouts posted:

If you can flex more than the stick can handle you're missing out on additional power

This was always something that bugged me. Take a player like Ovechkin who has been known to use really whippy sticks (70s flex I'm assuming) wouldn't his shot be harder/faster if he used a higher flex? I have no doubts that he's strong enough to max out the flex on his stick or is there some other factor that he would gain a benefit from using a low flex point stick

schzim
May 24, 2006
tl;dr
Well my team captain is moving away and I've been appointed the team coordinator for next year. This should be fun. I look forward to the obligation of letting everyone know about scheduling and trying to work it out :-/.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

lazerwolf posted:

This was always something that bugged me. Take a player like Ovechkin who has been known to use really whippy sticks (70s flex I'm assuming) wouldn't his shot be harder/faster if he used a higher flex? I have no doubts that he's strong enough to max out the flex on his stick or is there some other factor that he would gain a benefit from using a low flex point stick

Maybe he decided his shot was fast enough, at which point using a lower flex would allow him to exert less strength to get the same speed. It might also make it easier to get a ton of flex from awkward shooting positions. But that's just guessing. I wouldn't presume to have any clue why a pro player does what he does. :v:

Not that it effects me, I still use wood and a 60 flex and an 85 flex feel exactly the same. Not sure why they even bother rating wood.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
So I have decided I don't have the $$ for new blades, and was trying to find guys in mah league who had used ones. UNfortunately, all the dudes who are sellin' are too narrow (my ice boot is 9EE). That's tight enough, I don't want to go down.

I also found out that although it's an outdoor, it's sportcourt so yay not-concrete. I guess I'll have to try my luck on craigslist or some poo poo.

lazerwolf posted:

Ovy uses an 85 flex. NHL players are very good at using their sticks. :)
http://www.gameusedsticks.com/stickshtml/ovechkin_blue_ccm.html

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Ove is using 80-85 depending, but he can get that 85 to fully flex quick and from many sub-optimal positions which he probably values more than a little more power.

That and I'm not saying you'll break an 85 with 1 shot, no matter who you are. He's changing sticks constantly so if he's wearing out that 85 in a period or a game who cares, he has infinite sticks

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

delpheye posted:

It at least makes me feel better knowing that there's a ref on the planet who's at least aware that I'm not out there being goony 100% of the time. So thanks for that! :hfive:

Hey I've been on both sides of that front of the net battle so I get it. When I play in women's games or with newer players I'm pretty effective at clearing out the front, whereas with big guys who are well-matched in skill I'll get knocked down far more often. It's kinda the way it goes there, so as long as nobody is doing anything terribly illegal or likely to actually injure the other player (I've seen little pushing matches in front turn into some dickwad with anger management issues crosschecking the other player in the back of the neck hard for instance :gonk:) I'm mostly going to let that poo poo go, regardless of how much the team of the smaller player is yelling at me about it. Depending on how much the chirpy team has been annoying me that game, I'll even sometimes mention to them that it was both players engaging so if I call one, I'd have to call the other too. v:shobon:v

And yeah, NHL players can do whatever they want with their sticks because when they gently caress it up they just get another one, so if Ovi wants to use a whippy stick he has to replace every single shift to be more effective at whatever it is Ovi does, he will. But if you're a normal dude playing beer league and you're gonna break a 75 flex after a few uses, it's prob not the best fit for you.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

What would be the best way to get Easton or Warrior to sponsor me? I'm looking for infinite sticks.

But on the topic of stick flex, I have two 100 flex Warriors right now but will most likely get an 85 the next time I buy a stick (something my cheap rear end hasn't done in a year and a half now).

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Gio posted:

What would be the best way to get Easton or Warrior to sponsor me? I'm looking for infinite sticks.

Obviously, it's film yourself in your backyard, shooting into a wall with your gloves on, wearing only swim trunks and deck shoes. Bonus points if you can't toe-drag a puck off the pile onto your homemade dry-erase-board shooting surface. Also there must be a stack of tires in the background.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hockles posted:

Obviously, it's film yourself in your backyard, shooting into a wall with your gloves on, wearing only swim trunks and deck shoes. Bonus points if you can't toe-drag a puck off the pile onto your homemade dry-erase-board shooting surface. Also there must be a stack of tires in the background.

Ahhh, a howtohockeydotcom subscriber has been spotted!

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

xzzy posted:

Ahhh, a howtohockeydotcom subscriber has been spotted!

Nope, I just know enough from the one youtube video I watched months ago.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

delpheye posted:

Tried a shorter stick last game, and I like it a lot but I definitely need a blade with more lie on it. The only real problem I encountered was slapshot muscle memory. I took one and was too far away from the puck so it just kind of dribbled off the end of my stick and into the boards. I was able to get the rebound and put it over the glove, so I'm calling the experiment a success. haha

I'm curious if there are any other big guys(I'm 6'3, 250) who play who can give me advice for avoiding what I call big-man-penalties. What happens is I'll be in the slot, clearing forwards out and inevitably, some shorter player who's almost always leaning on their stick will find their face in my elbow. Or a reasonably light hip push/check or stick pop will send them to the ice. I end up in the box and playing a very unaggressive game after a couple calls like that. Meanwhile, I take highsticks, slew foots, and cup checks all night long. Short of letting tiny forwards own my slot and screen my goalie, what does one do in that situation?

I'm the big guy on the team, and I know I'm supposed to play a physical game, and I'm legitimately not playing dirty or too rough for beer league. It seems like refs should be able to understand that someone who's 5'6 and whatever weight isn't going to have a lot of success trying to tie up the slot against me.

I've played for years with a couple of friends who are your size and larger in various leagues with "niceness-oriented" reffing, and I really sympathize with the "big guy nearby" penalties. It really seems like the best possible remedy for it is just skating in control and keeping a visible positive attitude. Since the leagues we played in were super-friendly, sometimes they'd also prop up a wobbly opponent. It was particularly obvious to me how much control and attitude made a difference when I played on a team with 2 of these guys (one 6'6" 300+ and the other in the 6' 275 range) plus a third big guy who was well-meaning but just could not be bothered to learn how to skate or control his strength. My two friends had maybe 2-3 penalties each for the whole season, but Guy #3 was in the box A LOT and one of the refs privately told me they didn't even call him as often as they wanted to. So there's that.

For my part, even though I'm like half your size I can easily knock over an average-sized guy by accident if he's not strong in his skates or is skating dumb for some reason, so don't feel too bad if you know you've been appropriate and someone still goes down.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I've played for years with a couple of friends who are your size and larger in various leagues with "niceness-oriented" reffing, and I really sympathize with the "big guy nearby" penalties. It really seems like the best possible remedy for it is just skating in control and keeping a visible positive attitude. Since the leagues we played in were super-friendly, sometimes they'd also prop up a wobbly opponent. It was particularly obvious to me how much control and attitude made a difference when I played on a team with 2 of these guys (one 6'6" 300+ and the other in the 6' 275 range) plus a third big guy who was well-meaning but just could not be bothered to learn how to skate or control his strength. My two friends had maybe 2-3 penalties each for the whole season, but Guy #3 was in the box A LOT and one of the refs privately told me they didn't even call him as often as they wanted to. So there's that.

For my part, even though I'm like half your size I can easily knock over an average-sized guy by accident if he's not strong in his skates or is skating dumb for some reason, so don't feel too bad if you know you've been appropriate and someone still goes down.

Our refs are fed up with our entire division, so playing nice despite my pleasant demeanor, is pointless. I get your point though. I've been working towards being the nicest guy on the ice regardless of the fact that according to other teams, all I do is cause concussions and break limbs.

It's not like I lack control. My last name isn't Jagr, but I can absolutely control where me and my skates go. It seems like the best answer is to continue doing what I'm doing. I play a physical but fair game. Reading this thread has made me reconsider my role, but more and more, I think I just play with and against assholes.

I wish someone else in this thread played in my division to substantiate my position. haha

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

delpheye posted:

I play a physical but fair game.

I'm 6'7" off skates and weigh 230. I get roughed a lot and bitched at the second somebody is rocked trying to do so. Stay in control, play the puck, and don't be an rear end in a top hat and the refs will hopefully let you go on any incidental contact.

I play in a co-ed league. With a couple of girls on the ice it changes things up a bit, but I still think it's way in control. I've had girls bitching at me for tying them up on the faceoff and I just have to roll my eyes when they have a 250lb dude on the other wing doing nothing. It's bad coaching/captaining for the team to match somebody that small against me while their linebacker is 10 feet away. Further they can play smart and not faceoff against me at all and just sit back and skate once the puck drops. Fact is there are loads of options in lots of situations to defuse any sort of interaction with the big guys.

I practice my rear end off and live at the ice rink in my time off from work. People bitch about getting laid out when I blast the puck off their stick or box them out in the corner or race behind the net. I'm sorry? But until I hear a whistle I'm going to believe that playing the puck is my job. We wear pads for a reason.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You should start bitching when someone a foot shorter than you and 60 pounds lighter skates really fast so you can't catch up.

Point will probably be completely lost on them, but it might make you feel better. :v:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

We don't wear pads for the reason of absorbing penalties, so if what you're doing is illegal the pads are irrelevant.

I agree with everything said though. As a not big guy who doesn't mind physical play I feel bad for bigger guys who get called for ticky tack poo poo. It's the officials job to manage the game and to me there's a pretty obvious difference between physical size advantage and being an rear end in a top hat. Shame that most people can't see it.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

19 o'clock posted:

I've had girls bitching at me for tying them up on the faceoff and I just have to roll my eyes when they have a 250lb dude on the other wing doing nothing. It's bad coaching/captaining for the team to match somebody that small against me while their linebacker is 10 feet away. Further they can play smart and not faceoff against me at all and just sit back and skate once the puck drops. Fact is there are loads of options in lots of situations to defuse any sort of interaction with the big guys.

Wait are you saying as a center you have an easier time winning faceoffs because of your size? Because I'm a center on the opposite side of the spectrum (both gender-wise - not that it's relevant though ;) and size-wise) and my favorite faceoff move is the 180 spin box out kick puck backwards with skate and it's way easier to do that against tall people because I'm generally much quicker than them to react to the drop and they're usually more off-balance as well.

Ironically I get called for more penalties against big guys because it's easier for me to (sometimes accidentally) knock them off balance when they're moving, despite the advantage they sometimes have in a scenario like in front of the net where we are both set in our skates.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Played with a standup goalie last night, it's really a ton of fun to watch.

I understand why butterfly is dominant these days, but you can't beat nostalgia and the weird acrobatics that standup goalies put themselves through.

He even had the old style pads and the super wimpy chest armor goalies used to wear, it was like playing in the 80's. :allears:

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Were they rocking a Jason mask?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Unfortunately no, he wasn't 100% old school. He said something about protecting his brains or keeping his bones in one piece some other nonsense, I tuned him out at that point.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Minto Took posted:

Were they rocking a Jason mask?

There's a dude in my league who rocks the Jason mask. It's a little off-putting.

edit: Actually I guess it's more like a Mike Liut mask, which is slightly more reasonable.

Thufir fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 8, 2013

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Back in the days of mini-stick hockey, I used to use a glow-in-the-dark Jason mask as a goalie mask. I also used a baseball hat for a glove.

BOOTSTRAPS

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

sellouts posted:

Ove is using 80-85 depending, but he can get that 85 to fully flex quick and from many sub-optimal positions which he probably values more than a little more power.

That and I'm not saying you'll break an 85 with 1 shot, no matter who you are. He's changing sticks constantly so if he's wearing out that 85 in a period or a game who cares, he has infinite sticks

incorrect. I have several of his (real) both game used and not used prostocks and he uses a 77 flex in almost all of them.

loving bro hug
Mar 7, 2006

I Love The Colorado Avalanche More Than I Love Landeskog's Balls In My Mouth
AND I LOVE LANDESKOG'S BALLS IN MY MOUTH A WHOLE LOT
PS Sakic > Yzerman
Had the afternoon off of work so I went to my first pick up game this afternoon at XI. Was offsides a couple of times and I didn't do much besides skate up and down the ice and pass the puck to someone as soon as I got it, but at least I didn't fall on my rear end or get in the way too much. Felt a bit foolish but one guy asked me if it was my first time playing and he was helpful explaining how the game format worked (shift rotations etc) and had some other good pointers. It was fun enough that I'll do it again though, probably have to check out the other rink where there are more people closer to my :downs: skill level.

Also, Fingers I'm pretty sure that the crazy lady you referred to was there and you weren't kidding, she's nuts.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
So remember how I landed on my elbow in a game about a month and a half ago and it looked like someone had implanted a golf ball in there? The pain went away quickly, and I got mobility back rather quickly, so I didn't think about it. However, I still have a noticeable sac of fluid (I guess it's fluid) at the impact site. It's not as insane as it was, but it's still there and squishy. I don't think it's bursitis but what the gently caress do I know.

I'm debating seeing a doctor about it, but since it's not bothering me, I'm not seeing much of a point.

zinc68 posted:

incorrect. I have several of his (real) both game used and not used prostocks and he uses a 77 flex in almost all of them.

If you look at the link I provided above, almost all his sticks that gameusedsticks have are regular 85 flex. So maybe he changed at one point or another, but he most definitely used 85 regularly for at least some time.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

zinc68 posted:

It's changed across the years depending on what year you got the stick. There are pro stock sticks marked as 80, 85, 75 as well as 77. CCM once posted that he actually uses a 79.whatever flex. It's probably changed since then anyways.

More importantly, while you might be right, you do realize that pro stock game used sticks are often wrapped in the current model's wrap and are sometimes completely different sticks and can be custom flexes that aren't marketable, right? It's hilarious when people go grab pro stock of the newest model and find out it shoots exactly / feels exactly like last years or a different model entirely. They do this so people who want THE SAME STICK can buy it and spend the 279 rather than not because ITS NOT THE SAME.

edit: do you just collect Ovechkin sticks? do you use them when you play or do they just sit in a room mounted or whatever?

sellouts fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 8, 2013

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

sellouts posted:

It's changed across the years depending on what year you got the stick. There are pro stock sticks marked as 80, 85, 75 as well as 77. CCM once posted that he actually uses a 79.whatever flex. It's probably changed since then anyways.

More importantly, while you might be right, you do realize that pro stock game used sticks are often wrapped in the current model's wrap and are sometimes completely different sticks and can be custom flexes that aren't marketable, right? It's hilarious when people go grab pro stock of the newest model and find out it shoots exactly / feels exactly like last years or a different model entirely. They do this so people who want THE SAME STICK can buy it and spend the 279 rather than not because ITS NOT THE SAME.

Yes, I'm aware and that is why those 85 marked shafts are incorrect. I use the actual info sticker on the inside of the stick in the hollow part of the butt, along with Bauer's prostock codes that are marked on only prostock shafts. The only sticks he uses that are more than 77 are his powerplay sticks that are slightly longer and have slightly less curve to them. I imagine he does that for his patented slapper from the top circle. *I'm only talking about his Bauer sticks (both pre contract Nike/Bauer and current )

zinc68 fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

JetsGuy posted:

So remember how I landed on my elbow in a game about a month and a half ago and it looked like someone had implanted a golf ball in there? The pain went away quickly, and I got mobility back rather quickly, so I didn't think about it. However, I still have a noticeable sac of fluid (I guess it's fluid) at the impact site. It's not as insane as it was, but it's still there and squishy. I don't think it's bursitis but what the gently caress do I know.

I'm debating seeing a doctor about it, but since it's not bothering me, I'm not seeing much of a point.

Why don't you think it's bursitis? Sounds like it to me (with my 0 medical education). If it's bursitis I think they can drain it, which sounds fun. I had an issue where I fall down a lot (because I am bad at hockey) and I had lovely elbow pads so my elbow was pretty much constantly hurting. I got some much nicer pads and it's pretty much been a non issue since.