Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

thom holwerda over on osnews is as usual unintentionally funny

at least he managed to avoid mentioning his love of unicorns for once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Nomnom Cookie posted:

how is h.264 piece of poo poo everyone uses it. it makes dvds smaller

not sure if really dumb or intentional troll

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

this is so funny, google SWORE up and down that it was the ONLY patent free modern video codec for the web, and opera and Mozilla claimed that they were only going to support WebM because "lol gently caress the patent system, why should we spend money on something we give away for free?"

now it turns out they are liable and might need to spend money on something they gave away for free? Looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

see also: google spending $10 billion+ on motorola to put an end to the patent threat against android :mmmhmm:

in this context it is also good to remember that google is without competition the largest company ever built around a single patent (6,285,999)

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
well, maybe vp9 won't be a piece of poo poo and also actually won't infringe on patents.

i like the the idea of a good royalty free codec, but i'm also content if the current situation with h.264 gets repeated with hevc. everything using hevc codecs, but only commercial operations actually paying for it.

i guess anyone encoding h.264 right now should pay some licensing fee, but i think mpeg-la has been p. chill about it and not even trying to go after people making pony videos and lets plays, not to mention pirates.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Wheany posted:

welp, webm infringes h.264 patents after all:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/03/07/google-admits-its-vp8webm-codec-infringes-mpeg-h264-patents

oh, and: "Mozilla and Opera initially also tried to prevent the use of H.264, but have since capitulated to support H.264 as a standard" i guess webm is completely dead then.

welp, good thing we stopped all work on theora, vp8's the only web codec we need right guys???

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Wheany posted:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/03/07/google-admits-its-vp8webm-codec-infringes-mpeg-h264-patents

oh, and: "Mozilla and Opera initially also tried to prevent the use of H.264, but have since capitulated to support H.264 as a standard" i guess webm is completely dead then.

owned

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
i skipped 10 pages presumably including some great discussion about thai food or some poo poo

pegancow what is ur opinion on dirac also what the gently caress is wavelet compression in non-sperg?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Wheany posted:

webm sucks because nothing hardware accelerates it

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

AtomD posted:

i skipped 10 pages presumably including some great discussion about thai food or some poo poo

pegancow what is ur opinion on dirac also what the gently caress is wavelet compression in non-sperg?

as a mathematician i like wavelets since u can represent sharp corners with them (theoretically)

as a person with eyes wavelet based image codecs just look blurrier

maybe the eyeball really likes the DCT? idk

Malcolm XML fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 8, 2013

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Install Gentoo posted:

webm sucks because nothing hardware accelerates it

well that and also it is worse in every way compared to the one true codec and now we have learned that it's not even free.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Wheany posted:

well that and also it is worse in every way compared to the one true codec and now we have learned that it's not even free.

yeah but if it had been hardware accelerated id be willing to just deal with that. instead its also slower and less compatible, on top of looking kind of rear end and not being as good on storage space

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I wonder if google will try to keep it going or just pay the penalties and move on

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

There is spin both sides, Google is saying it is to prevent patent pooling to "threaten" the codec and corporate users, haters saying it is paying off the MPEG-LA with license fees. Both angles aren't quite right.

JumpinJackFlash
Nov 15, 2001

Wheany posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

pagancow posted:

not sure if really dumb or intentional troll

thread title says h.264 is piece of poo poo but no one complains about it. its getting old i guess but thats it

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
Blackmagic camera update: it's a bundle of fun but lol at the workflow since it's 5 MB/frame in raw. You have to become the roundtrip master with Resolve and make edit proxies if you want to actually edit your stuff. Quality is amazing though and I can now laugh at every 'videographer' with a 5D because you are officially retarded if you buy one instead of a BMCC.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Install Gentoo posted:

yeah but if it had been hardware accelerated id be willing to just deal with that. instead its also slower and less compatible, on top of looking kind of rear end and not being as good on storage space

You know acceleration is coming. It'll probably become a requirement for chromebooks or androids sooner or later. And this deal isn't proof that vp8 infringes. Quite the opposite, since if the mpeg LA had vp8 dead to rights they would have simply litigated it to prove it and not bothered to settle.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
acceleration is coming but it isnt on anything now, and we were supposed to have started getting vp8 hardware acceleration last year

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pagancow posted:

this is so funny, google SWORE up and down that it was the ONLY patent free modern video codec for the web, and opera and Mozilla claimed that they were only going to support WebM because "lol gently caress the patent system, why should we spend money on something we give away for free?"

now it turns out they are liable and might need to spend money on something they gave away for free? Looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

part of the google agreement was that google could sublicense to anyone they wanted

which means this is less proof that webM infringes and more google paying protection money to prevent anyone large-or-small from being sued

it would probably cost 100x as much as google paid to conclusively prove webM does not infringe, so hey

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

pagancow posted:

Uncompressed bm video

so raw fraps output of my post history

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

AtomD posted:

Never used Dirac

wavelet compression is jpeg2000, and RED codec. its like math and poo poo.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

so raw fraps output of my post history

Fraps is lossy and compressed.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

pagancow posted:

Fraps is lossy and compressed.

i thought it had the option to output raw frames. i mean it uses its internal codec by default

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
yep

Only registered members can see post attachments!

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Lossless rgb is 440mbps at 1920x1080 @29.976 fps

It is not uncompressed 8bpc.

I'm sure that 440mbps isn't enough to describe all frames.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
huh, still uses the fraps codec. welp

i just figured lossless would mean, you know, lossless

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Don't get me wrong. Fraps is the game capture codec. It's just a misnomer to say lossless and then use some sort of dct/wavelet compression scheme that is locked to a bitrate instead of just trying to have a 100% quality and just use the bits you need to describe that frame.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

look at dis scrub using 30.0 fps

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
30 / 29.97 is a pretty scrubby problem to have in the first place

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
like almost every single thing about video and TV is a lovely backwards compatibility hack I'm astounded we even broke compatibility with nipkow discs

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
youtube only supports 30fps and you half your disk space

why not

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
please dont play or record videogames

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

you need 29.97 for 48k audio sync

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

pagancow posted:

look at dis scrub using 30.0 fps

youtube is 30 fps last i knew

gently caress drop frame forever

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

pagancow posted:

you need 29.97 for 48k audio sync

yes, that nice even 1601.6 samples per frame

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

why does it not surprise me that you retards dont recognize a beautiful pd patch when you see it

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
When Youtube Asks "Your video is shaky, would you like to fix it?" this is why you say NO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTvUbrltie8

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

I don't know why you guys complain about youtube video shake fix. it's really good. Just imagine how lovely it is when it isn't on.

cant fix jello skew easily becuase lol cmos sensor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

what are your feelings about the documentary Side By Side? I thought it was a cool look at film v digital

keanu reeves has a poo poo voice for narration tho

• Locked thread